Selfhelp Community Services Employee Reviews

he CEO is bully
Senior Vice President Financial Strategy (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2018
Selfhelp is not a supportive organization; there is no opportunity for growth. Management is not independent. The culture is not inclusive. it is not an enjoyable place to work. I would tell potential candidates to stay clear.
Pros
Cons
Politics
Organization has changed drastically
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYAugust 25, 2018
The original mission of the organization has been lost. The new management is cut-throat, devious, and they use digital surveillance of employees. New Management has no business working with this traumatized and vulnerable population. They are continually lying and protecting their highly paid positions.
Pros
Lots of supervision
Cons
Lots of micromanagement and digital surveillance of employees, atmosphere of mistrust and cut-throat behaviors.
Worked through myself for myself
Mentor/Mental Health Motivational Speaker (Current Employee) –  Sylacauga, ALDecember 14, 2018
I enjoy working for myself while helping others. My dream career has always been to help others so doing this is awesome for me. I love having the peace of mind of knowing that I am helping others.
Selfhelp
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 28, 2018
Great teach at this company, my internship as well and the start of my career was here. It sadden me when I moved out of state and had to leave the company.
This company let you participate in any programs offered to the clients
Human Resources Assistant, Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAOctober 29, 2018
I enjoyed this company very much they were community based helping people. I learned more about Human resources and the computer programs the management was easy to learn from
Stressful work place
Dietary Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 29, 2018
The job was always very stressful management didn't know how to communicate with employees on a professional level. Working with the residents was always a pleasure they were sweet and caring easy to work with.
Working with Human Resources was very enjoyable
Human Resources Assistant, Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAJanuary 11, 2019
Coming form the Census Bureau it was refreshing to be able to use my skill in the H. R. dept. even though my main job was being an Administrative Assistant it felt good to be needed and to utilize my skills in more then one department
Always something new to learn which never makes for a dull day
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMAugust 18, 2018
Gathering all trash bins than disposing of it. Cleaning shop of any messes cause a clean work area makes for better work environment organizing all chemicals fluids tools etc.
Pros
Learning new thing everdays
Cons
Long hours extreamly hot during summer time
okay place to work
worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2018
people are great, provides opportunities for social workers. management can be tough and in some departments people can be thrown under the bus, but overall it's an okay company that does great work for clients
Pros
lots of festive activities
I did an internship in a head start classroom.
Child Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Whitman, MAFebruary 5, 2019
I would asst teachers in daily running of the classroom. 2 meals would be served and the children would go through routine daily activities. completing this internship allowed me to complete the early childhood development class I received a certificate for.
Pros
getting to interact with the kids and teaching them how to interact with each other.
Cons
having to say goodbye to the kids at the end of the school year.
Good people doing good work
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 18, 2019
Kind, supportive, and informed staff. Went to bat for their clients. Protected their employees. Would recommend the organization. Enjoyed working here.
a little unprofessional
Personal care aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2018
They say that they do not judge at this agency However, I believe that is a lie. I was young when I started working there. They didn't make me feel like I was apart of the agency. When the older workers did not want to work in a certain area, they would send me instead.
Pros
twenty-five cent extra per person in the house with a disability
Cons
health care
Social work
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 14, 2019
Worked on a small office, clients are home bound therefore visits to the home are an essential function, advocacy, empathy, good supervision and support, small caseload
Cons
Travel
Could have been Better
Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2018
I learned how to do things on my own, due to the lack of management assistance. This created an environment of sail or sink of unnecessary stress. Training was discouraged due to the lack of appropriate funding.

During my time, there was a lack of leadership and a vision for greater leadership. The work environment was stressful and toxic.

From the time that I left many changes have occurred like the management, work environment that is encouraging and nurturing, that I would consider returning to Selfhelp community Guardianship under the leadership of CEO of Senior Communities.
Pros
New Direction and Leadership, enviornment renewed
Amazing
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, CAOctober 10, 2018
Great job fun working there you feel amazing when you get up knowing your going to go help it's a blessing to give others help an show your appreciation
working for yourself
Construction Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 18, 2018
its great if you are a go getter. great work when you choose but rest is up to you. money is yours to make if you choose to. Learn what kind of boss you are and what keeps you going or what keeps you down. need to be on it all the time.
Pros
unlimited money
Cons
never know when you are going to make your next check
great way to meet new people
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Cody, WYSeptember 10, 2018
I enjoyed my job and working with handicapped I learned a lot for my patients. They showed me what life is like as being disabled. Gave me new meaning on life.
Helpimg people is great
Clean condos (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 10, 2018
I helped people more then worrying about money. God says help others u will be rewarded.I love to create and make people smile and help m therm with daily duties. Coordinate events tour guide cook and cleaner all in one if necessary.
Pros
helping people
Cons
not much security in future and beenfits
Hands on labor
Handyman (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MdSeptember 28, 2018
Self labor, construction labor work well with everyone hard worker hands on forklift driver I have over 10 years experience willing to work on off days or when needed.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
home health aide
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2018
helped patients do everyday activities
helped dressed patients and bathe
follow all the tasks given to me
always keeps a clean and efficient work environment