Sempra Energy Employee Reviews

Work load is manageable, however lags behind in technologocal advancements
Senior Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 7, 2018
Work load is manageable, but the company invests too much in acquiring license for heavy duty product suits and ends up running tech refresh projects evry other year.
One fo the best energy companies to work for.
IT SCADA Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 29, 2018
It is one of the best energy companies to work for as there are so many options to learn about electric and natural gas energy. I really enjoyed working with the field personnel that maintained the SCADA and Smart Grid Systems.
Loved my Job but not the Leadership
Individual Contributor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 21, 2018
My job is exciting, interesting and constantly evolving. No problems there. Pay and benefits great. Most employees are career employees. Leadership is the problem. Cannot understand how the supervisors got their role and how they keep it. No guidance and direction but plenty of blaming when you mess up. The reason there was no guidance was because the wrong people are in leadership roles. They know how to pacify the director but have zero people skills. They think saying hello to the employees in the morning makes them "people persons." Takes forever for a decision to be made. They are outsourcing everything like payroll, I.T., and soon to be billing.
Pros
excellent wage and benefit package
Cons
read my comments
Large energy company
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 10, 2018
Large energy industry company with various technology solutions in place. Typical large corporation with many different divisions, departments and teams to contribute in.
Busy place with lots of projects
Communications and Web Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 8, 2018
The energy industry is undergoing a significant change with growth of rooftop solar, customer choice and implementation of new technologies. Company has good people dedicated to providing good service.
Pros
Good industry
Cons
Highly regulated
Good company always striving to get better
Corporate Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 3, 2018
Sempra is a well-run company always aiming to do better internally. The management is exceptionally smart and willing to be flexible. They rotate the top people every couple of years. I left because I had a terrible boss in middle management and no opportunity to grow or advance. That is an anomaly and not the norm.

Of the huge corporations I've worked for, this was the best run.
Pros
Smart people, great environment
Cons
Male dominated and not a big focus on middle management
Worked on a small project for a short time
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 2, 2018
I needed a job real bad at the time. I was living in Fullerton, and took to train to San Diego and back every day.

While I was doing that, there was some construction on tracks to make the trains faster, but I never got the benefit of that. It is rough doing a 2 1/2 hour commute each way. I got good a quick naps on the train, twice per day
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Long commute
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Programs Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 10, 2018
Work at Sempra was very intriguing and engaging. There were many different partners to work with and it was great knowing you were making a positive change with the environment on the job.
Great Company - Standard Corporate Environment
Administrative Associate to the CIO (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 12, 2018
Sempra is the typical corporate America type of company, great company to work for if you're in part of the "in" group. Company is well established, but can be political.
Pros
Pension, good salary, great benefits.
Cons
No vertical growth
Trading Applications
Software Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 25, 2018
I was consultant at Sempra Energy trading, culture and work was excellent apart from we need to support delivering IT solutions to traders. Had fun working and good opportunities.
Contractor
Contract Agent Contractor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 8, 2018
I worked as a contractor for this public utility. It is without a doubt the most unprofessional work environment. Management is non existent people are extremely rude.
Pros
hours are decent, location in decent
Cons
Parking Sucks, Management is absent, popularity contest
Best company I've worked for.
Maximo Analyst & Developer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 5, 2018
Best of all worlds in a very beautiful city. The enterprise software I supported was the most well configured I've seen. So technically it was well done. Mostly for me it was the atmosphere. Everybody was nice. Nobody seemed stressed. Nobody was rude. The Sempra HQ had a beautiful view of the bay and the ocean beyond Coronado. It was also surrounded by many restaurants and across the street from Petco Park. The people who work there are very lucky.
Pros
Everything.
Cons
My job was just a contract; therefore, I couldn't stay.
Fast paced, great atmosphere
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 19, 2018
Every day has something new, fires to put out and interesting projects to manage. The wide variety of work, the interaction with the various support departments and the public/customers insures that things never get dull.
Fair and Ethical place to work
Project Manager / Project Controls (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 28, 2018
> Management is somewhat disjointed in that personnel assignments are sometime random and employees are not communicated with before assignments are made.
> Work hours are good and working conditions are good. Office is a new building downtown San Diego.
> Culture varies from somewhat dog-eat-dog to reasonable. Upward mobility is typical for this type of organization. Politices plays a key role.
Pros
Location, salaries, co-workers
Cons
Careers can be interrupted or redirected without warning.
Horrible company
Business Objects Developer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 27, 2018
Awful place to work. Poor management. They hired but did not have enough work. They treat consultants terribly. Would not recommend this company. They are not an environmentally good company to work for.
good pay
Energy professional (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 12, 2018
great place to learn and grow. Lots of ways to move around. Many people are willing to help. Great environment and vibe. Large company feel with lots of options
Customer Service Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 5, 2018
I was specifically hired for a project not to exceed 1 year.

Pay was reasonable.

Interaction with staff and management was almost universally positive.

Don't know how Sempra would be to work for regularly, but everything I witnessed was solid and positive.
Pros
culture
Cons
none known
The standard
Digital Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 31, 2018
Sempra is your typical corporate america type of company, I can sum it up very simply by stating that there was no justified reason of my lay off, the reason was I spoke out over a bad decision from management, that is all it took.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, workplace environment.
awesome place to work
Energy Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CADecember 4, 2017
Sempra Energy is the best and awesome place to work! would recommend everyone to apply. the staff and managers are the best. friendly, helpful, kind and patient.
Pros
Great people, competitive salary, yearly bonus.
Cons
Lack of upward mobility, and succession planning.
I enjoyed my time with Sempra.
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 26, 2017
I have nothing to add to the overall summary. Obviously my time with the company and its predecessor and up until retirement serves as evidence of a very positive experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sempra Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss