Senior Lifestyle Corporation Employee Reviews

Stay away. Apply somewhere else.
Bom (Current Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 27, 2018
There is no training for anyone. Everyone higher up will step on you if it means saving their job. They lack the training also so they all worry about being fired and thus will easily throw you under the bus. Apparently I can’t get a raise because it’s not in the budget for 2019 (which they are still working on). And the previous person who could not handle the work was paid a lot more then I make. I would stay far away from this place that is way more interested in making money than caring for seniors. My last Ed was fired but not for telling everyone’s personal information which she has access to. Apparently it doesn’t matter that she knew my personal information and told another employee who had no reason to know.
Pros
Paid birthday holiday
Cons
No breaks, no time for lunch. Have vacation days that don’t ever have a chance to use.
December 31, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and apologize that you had a negative experience. We as a company are committed to making Senior Lifestyle a great place to work and that wouldn’t be possible without your comments. Please reach out to slchumanresources@seniorlifestyle.com if you would like to discuss this any further.

Lack of policies & high turn over rate of employees
Concierge (Current Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 12, 2018
I believe management & employees care about the residents, and work hard to meet their basic needs. Senior lifestyle policies & procedures are lacking, at least at my facility. Over the past year several management positions have changed hands, and nobody seems to stay long. Caregivers make an average of $11 an hour, which is not enough for such a challenging/labor intensive job. We lack the training & tools ( and supplies) to do our job to the best of our abilities, and are always in a financial crunch. Senior Lifestyle made the top 100 places to work, but only becaise of the push for everyone to complete the surveys.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Lack of management, policies & procedures, high turn over of employees, employee bullying.
December 31, 2018

Beautiful campus and amenities for residents
Director of Health & Wellness (Former Employee) –  Greendale, WIDecember 10, 2018
-No work life balance
-Poorly staffed
-Benefits - expectations unclear
-Negative Culture
-Standards of nursing practice poorly followed
-Lack of nursing leadership - As Director was on call daily and every weekend
Pros
Loved caring for the residents and their families and supporting staff
Cons
Lack of strong leadership
Okay but missing something.
Not Applicable (Former Employee) –  Not AvailableJanuary 9, 2019
Wonderful residents that are the highest asset of all. Much of the staff has astonishing longevity that shows caring and commitment but the other half is constantly changing and many are not committed to the same standards and are quick to claim training as an issue. Much of the management team is always busy with conference calls and not as visible or available due to uneven work loads and deadlines. Company is lacking promotion from within and cross training seems to have ceased to exist.
Pros
Great residents and many great line staff that make it all work.
Cons
Quick to slap your hand, very slow to acknowledge a job well done.
Poor management and rude co-workers
Server (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 19, 2018
Management always had an attitude with servers especially if things didn't go their way. Also the schedule lacked consistency for new employees even though new employees had 2nd jobs or school. 25 to 30 hours is considered full time so your paycheck is barely anything after 2 weeks. Co-workers all talked about each other and would complain if they actually had to work hard. Total high school atmosphere with the pettiness, gossip, attitudes and not to mention cliques. Residents were great and very friendly but its too bad managers and co-workers chase away the people who truly like caring for the elderly.
Pros
Great friendly and caring residents.
Cons
Few hours and low pay. Poor scheduling and poor management.
September 20, 2018

Do Not work at Carriage Court Kenwwood
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati OHJune 20, 2018
Management and morale is awful here
Find a better job with friendly staff
No job security
Benefits are ok
No leadership, been without Executive Director 3 months
Building needs updating
Census is down
Memory care units are not beneficial to the residents, need better programs
DHW is too young and inexperienced so not as respected by families
Pros
its a job
Cons
Morale of community

Dietary Director (Former Employee) –  Loganville, GAJanuary 7, 2019
Lacked the tools do do the Job properly
Management changed every yearly at all levels
Hardest part of the job was doing everything i could do to Run a efficient and profitable department with minimum staff and tools to do the job
Pros
Work life Balance
Cons
Management Turnover
Love working here
Intern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2018
I have been working with Senior Lifestyle for a couple weeks and it has been absolutely wonderful!! Management goes above and beyond with making the on boarding process smooth and making sure that you have everything you need. The environment and culture of the company is very inviting and welcoming, I could not be more happy to be employed here. Corporate management is very involved and wants to help you succeed. I highly recommend working for this company!!!
Pros
Management cares, great culture, work and home life balance
August 13, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you are enjoying your experience at Senior Lifestyle!

Management sucks, bunch of disrespectful ghetto CNAs who have no type manners or respect for others who work there.
Activity Assistant (Former Employee) –  FlOctober 31, 2018
Worst management I’ve ever seen, they let CNAs talk to the activity department however they please... they all talk bad about each other, no type of advantage to move higher, and management are currently fighting among each other for the director position. yes I’ll admit being hired to get experience as a activity assistant was worth it, but these people are so fake and they always lying on you....it was because my father died suddenly, made me really decide to leave... which I didn’t regret , but other than that I would never recommend that place
Pros
The residents
Cons
All the above

Don't Do it!!
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  South USJuly 17, 2018
No support provided from corporate. Training is pretty much non-existent. Was on call 24/7/365 with no relief or support. It's very much about numbers, not employees or residents. Corporate management is cut throat, very stark and rude. Do not listen or communicate well. Almost 2 years of physical and mental exhaustion with more demands from corporate to do more! Very few days off, none without a phone call, text, or email. Very few nights sleep. Dont even worry about PTO time, you cant take it. Do not reply to requests for help or guidance, but respond quickly to a move out or census 1 below budget! Set unreal numbers for budget. Now I know why community management changes so frequently at all locations!
Pros
Residents, staff
Cons
Corporate, upper management
senior lifestyles
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNJune 29, 2018
drama within employees was constant
residents were mostly delightful
management was changed frequently for various reasons
did learn how to cook in mass quantities and handle 45+ residents alone.
Pros
long hours made a better pay check
Cons
shift in ownership changed everything
August 13, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you have had a negative experience and we are committed to making Senior Lifestyle a great place to work. We appreciate your comments and for your time to write this review.

Different strokes for different folks...poor management
Concierge (Former Employee) –  MarylandJune 14, 2018
As a former employee, management is the worst that I have ever worked with. I was an excellent employee, dependable and a team player. Never been written up or reprimanded for any reason. Made 1 mistake and when I meet with management and explained that I was not aware and told the manager that if I was doing something wrong or in error please let me know so I can correct it...She said that she will get back to me and the next thing I knew was that I was getting a phone call saying I was terminated. It was explained to me that my error is in the handbook but after reading it, the wording was in such corporate language, that I didn't really understand it and also who really knows the handbook front and back. The BOM was even incompliance with the handbook and she still there.. something is wrong with that picture...The corporation also does not consider the residents needs and wants......
August 13, 2018

Fun place to work but choose your direct supervisor wisely
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2018
For the most part, I enjoyed working there. The training was thorough and I picked up quite a few great skills! While the Area Manager is fair and knows the business very well, there is one Regional Manager that no one wants to work under for fear of losing their job for any little thing. The AM micromanaged and would throw people under the bus and lie to make sure she kept her job. I actually enjoyed working for SLC but against my better judgment I accepted a position with an AM that I was previously warned about from numerous people.
Pros
Bonuses can be given on occupancy and delinquency
Cons
What is accepted for some is not accepted for others
October 31, 2018

Backstabbing and Lying Mid-level and Top Management
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Park Place Senior Living OFallon, MOMarch 20, 2018
My supervisor is not qualified to be in a key position. Communication was poor and dysfunctional. Employees are blamed for things out of our control. Managers lie, create chaos, then blames staff for mistakes they make! It seems if you are related to someone or a snitch, you are part of the click if not, you are not valued. Culture is geared toward dismissing residents needs. I have never worked in a place so unorganized and poorly managed.

Do not trust managers or co-workers. Gossip and backstabbing are commonplace.
Pros
The Residents
Cons
Management Sucks!
Overworked Underpaid
N/A (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDJune 26, 2018
Management has poor communication throughout departments, the pay is below average an the work load is heavy with inadequate staffing it’s very stressful the staffing turnover is frequent with daily call outs...Department directors are non supportive with team members an seldom engage with residents . Members of Corporate that visit periodically are very arrogant, demanding An non social with employees .,The residents however are amazing they are the 1 reason this company strives. Otherwise it’s not worth it.
Pros
Residents are Wonderful
Cons
Lack of support from management, poor communication, pathetic pay, short breaks.

Difficult place to work
DIR OF NURSING (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKDecember 6, 2018
Discouraging place to work, in general. The company mission and the failure to meet even the minimums to attain it were distressing to say the least.
Pros
pay was great, opportunities for education great
Cons
Upper management (regional) were difficult and discouraging
Supportive Home Office and great leadership
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  I travel 100% throughout the United StatesJune 13, 2018
As an employee in the Senior living industry for over 30 years, I have finally found a company that aligns with my values and has shown me respect and great communication.
Senior Lifestyle has proven to be the company that although still have the same goals and expectations as other companies but pulls it off with grace and tact.
I have been welcomed by so many all throughout the company and I’ve received the support needed to be successful in my position.
Pros
Cons
Nothing that I can think of

Disappointing.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAJanuary 16, 2019
No care or respect to the nurses and nursing assistants when they are the hardest working employees. Management does not help in critical situations. Rarely get breaks or meal time because of workload.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
No breaks, no support from management.
Worst Company
LPN (Former Employee) –  Troy, OHMarch 4, 2018
Senior Lifestyle’s is by far the worse company i Have ever worked for. The management sucks and higher ups really don’t care about the residents, all they care about is filling up a room and making money. We were constantly short staff and had 4/5 in house mangers and do you think they would jump in and help? No! Continuous turn over, low pay, terrible health insurance while management gets great health insurance. No incentives offered to pick up shifts, literally the only reason why i stayes their so long was because of the residents! Now i work for a great company where I am vauled and have great benefits!

Very unorganized
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 14, 2018
This place is unorganized. Between the coworkers and management, it was stressful and gave me a little anxiety. The pay is ok but it can be stressful.
Pros
Kind of laid back
Cons
Stressful, short staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Senior Lifestyle Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight