Sentara Healthcare Employee Reviews

Love this place
OFFICE NURSE (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 11, 2018
Assisted doctors with patients, refilled prescriptions, scheduling, performing basic office visits for patients needing immunizations, etc. Provided patients with best healthcare
Home Health
RN Level II Med Surg / Oncology (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake VANovember 4, 2018
Provided patients with care in the home. Coordinated care following physicians orders. Updated physicians with any changes in patients medical condition.
Pros
flexible
Cons
change in management
Very cut throat and unfair place to work
Sous Chef/Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 30, 2018
While employed here I've faced many obstacles and have lost a lot more than I've gained. I honestly could not recommend anyone to work for this company.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
yearly salary
Excellent culture and teamwork
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAOctober 30, 2018
There are many long-term employees here, which says so much about the culture of the organization. We have had staff leave feeling disgruntled, only to return realizing that the grass is indeed not greener on the other side - healthcare is hard work! Expect to come to work and provide the best care possible. Get involved in committees and teams if you feel change is needed. Find new friends at work, which makes the shift go so much faster!
Pros
new and engaged staff, stability, Nurse Residency Program (NRP)
Cons
many new graduate nurses, acute care is very hard but the NRP is designed to help with school to worklife transition
Sentara is a place to have a career.
Adminstrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 20, 2018
Working at Sentara is a good job for anyone who want this to be there forever job. You can grow in the company and they will also pay for some schools
Pros
No lack of work
Cons
Being around sinkness and sometimes sadness.
operating room
RN Circulator (Current Employee) –  Suffolk, VAOctober 15, 2018
functioned mostly as outpatient surgery specialties such as general, ortho, plastics, vascular, thoracic, urology, gynecology, podiatry. small hospital. local atmosphere
Way to many Clicks!
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 10, 2018
I didn't like the dept. I was assigned to. Way to many clicks! If you din't belong to a certain group you was pretty much treated like an outcast. My co-workers were lazy and relied on me and the new hires to pull much of the work load. And they cut corners which was very bad for patient health. Nothing nice to say about Sentara Virginia Beach General
Pros
My supervisor was nice.
Cons
No help!
Overall poor
LPN (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 9, 2018
Home care was a not a great place to work, nurses are over work and you can get burnt out with so many patients. And the charting take up most of the day.
They do not VALUE nurses their. So beware.
Pros
Work with your schedule
Cons
Stressful job
Environment and management
Emergency Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 8, 2018
Sentara is all about Customer Service numbers and less about employees. Sentara states that you are required to have Doctors notes if someone is ill however, they do not follow such rules and loosely follow the guidelines.
Pros
Tuition assistance, medical benefits (very expensive even if it is owned by Sentara)
Cons
Pay rates will vary even between dates of hire.
Sentara is a strong medical base.
Senior Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 7, 2018
Sentara has a lot to offer everyone employed. They have worked very hard to maintain compliance and has become a well functioning service. They offer employees several benefits and helps one to maintain skills for position. By far Sentara was one of the best places to work.
Nice place to work
Health Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAOctober 5, 2018
I loved my job at Sentara In the Release of Information De[t. It was a stressful job but at the end of the day it was nice knowing you helped the patient and other medical facilities with patient information.. The benefits were great. There wasn't any job security at Sentara.
Pros
Great co-workers, great benefits, good working schedule
Cons
Changed computer programs that required us to work on weekends
Truly a wonderful job
Courier (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 3, 2018
I hate that I have to have anything harsh to say about my time with Sentara. Overall it was an amazing experience. My co-workers were a treat to work with, my immediate supervisors were understanding and helpful. THE supervisor though...they were what drove me out. I was considered a good employee until I needed to make a change to my schedule for personal reasons.
Pros
relaxed environment, great co-workers
Cons
That one supervisor
Very cut throat and a good bit of favoritism
Courier (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 2, 2018
I learned that in the health field you can not trust anyone. This company is full of people who love to put you down and get ahead any way possible. If you have a good idea, keep it to yourself. It will either get used as someone else's, or if you do share it, management looks at you as if you have horns growing from your head.
80% Work from home
Disability Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 30, 2018
This position was a new position that was very flexible and much needed at the time. Now its being eliminated, but close to the same work as case management. The co-workers were awesome and the salary was decent. Along with good benefits.
Overall busy department
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 29, 2018
Felt like management cared about my concerns and tried to make changes. Management made work fun. Manager was a team player and provided assistance when necessary.
Busy and intense workplace
Patient Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VASeptember 17, 2018
A decent place to work at if you are starting off your career in the healthcare field. The pay is not great compared to other healthcare organization in the Northern Virginia Area.
Nursing harrisonburg
Nursing care partner (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VASeptember 14, 2018
This is the worse place I have ever worked. The people are back stabbing and fake. The best thing to do if you work there is come to work do your job and leave. Don’t associate with anyone. You get wrote up for the stupidest stuff, which doesn’t make sense. The other employees try to get you in trouble. Which in my case was unfounded. Even when you have a death or 2 or 3 close together in your family there is no compation for you while you’re life is falling apart. They don’t care about the employees you are just another number.
Benefits
Cons
I would recomend working for Sentara
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 14, 2018
My typical day at work consist getting service tickets for plumbing electrical issues for buildings I maintain. I have learned how to work with building control systems which is called DDC controls they control lighting, doors, HVAC systems etc. Management allows everyone to do the job instead of micro managing us, the culture in my department is very laid back . The hardest part of my job is working with other team members that don't want to do there job which makes my job harder. The most enjoyable part of my job is I really enjoy what I do, it challenges me the only problem is I would like to make more money.
Pros
Stable company secure
Cons
Not paying fairly compared to other companies in market
Wonderful work atmosphere
Inventory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 10, 2018
Sentara is a great place to start your career with phenomenal benefits. My journey at Sentara has been nothing but fun, I learned so much in the five years I've been there.
Pros
Job security and great working environment
Cons
Productive and fun place to work.
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VASeptember 7, 2018
Everyone knows their responsibilities and duties and everyone works together to make daily quota. Very fast paced and challenging position, works closely with supervisor and physicians. Time restraints are for most testing. Occasional troubleshooting techniques needed for laboratory analyzers when they are down. In the event of down times everyone is notified and results are sent via computer before turn around time. Most enjoyable part of job is the time flys by and the day is done before you know it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sentara Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss