Sentara Healthcare

Sentara Healthcare Employee Reviews

Sentara Healthcare insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Company Improving

Be mindful. Receivable department only provide pennies for annual reviews. Your growth within the company will not grant you additional pay. A lateral move to another position with different responsibilities they will reduce your pay instead of allowing you to keep your pay. Managers work too much together to not promote growth. Too many relatives & friends working in the same department which is not suppose to be per policy. A lot has changed, but there is much needed improvements with upper managers i.e. lead, supervisors & managers not being held accountable.

Pros

Great benefits i.e medical, dental, vision, 403 B, & pension.

Cons

Management & Compensation

Fast paced

Excellent company to work for and availability for advancement. Staff are team oriented. Hospital is patient focused. Lots of room for advancement. Tuition reimbursement available.

Pros

Tuition reimbursement

Cons

Fast pace

I enjoyed my time working with great people. Management was pretty good too. If you want to work for a good company with good management than look no further.

Pros

Hours

Cons

Pay

Good place but….

Enjoyed working here but I did not like the uncertainty. Hired to work a new unit and was placed on units that I wasn’t hired for and that I was told would not happen. I was told that the new unit would be open and shouldn’t have to be floated and definitely not in first 6 months. Lies!! I would have never accepted the position knowing I wouldn’t be working where I purposely applied to.

A Total Let Down!!!

I thought working for this hospital was a big blessing. I later found out you have to advocate for yourself and the managers really don't care about you. It's a lot of favortism going on as well. The job itself, is not hard, Its just the people that I work with and under. I went on leave for having a baby and pretty much felt like I was being punished for it. If you are not clinical staff you pretty much are looked down upon. There is no room for advancement unless you are kissing someone's behind. I thought this was a job not a bunch of folks being used by management to snitch on one another and throw each other under the bus. Not to mention people coming off of the streets start off making more money then you, when you have already been working longer. Raises are a JOKE!!!!!! WE PUT OUR LIVES ON THE LINE FOR PENNIES. AND THEY WANT US TO SMILE AND BE GREATFUL? Not to mention we deal with a lot of mean and rude patients. HELP!!! I NEED A BETTER JOB IN THE MEDICAL FIELD!

Pros

You get to clock in

Cons

Punished for calling out sick, Poor management, No room for advancement unless you are brown nosing

Overall a great job

Sentara is a great place to work and I work with some amazing and hardworking people. You will stay busy. Pay is fair. Overall a great place to work and time requested off is usually approved.

Excellent support for career advancement

All the good people have left and went somewhere else due to burnout. It’s literally brand new inexperienced 20 year olds lol. Lots of drama that didn’t use to be there.

Pros

Benefits are excellent

Cons

No breaks

Great benefit

Great benefits, raises often and bonuses nice. Company compensates very well. Patients friendly and staff nice. Received a lot of great reference when I moved

Great management

It is a great company to work for but the only caveat is the compensation is lower than industry standards. Healthcare system comprised of several hospitals that allowed me to transfer with ease.

Great company

I’ve been working as a nurse at Sentara family medicine clinic for 2,5 years and feel secure at my job. The company cares about its employees. We have not lost any hours during COVID crisis, despite decrease in profit. There are plenty of resources to support me professionally, I have all the tools to be successful at my job, I’m fortunate to have an amazing manager. The compensation is good, there are yearly raises (there was even a good raise during the COVID time, and a bonus as well as a token of appreciation from the CEO). Benefits are excellent as well. Upper management stays in touch and is approachable. Personally I don’t feel like there’s much bureaucracy that’s a part of any large company. Working at a clinic, I have 4 9 hr days (8am - 5:30/6pm depending on jow much work there is), 1 day off during the week and weekends off. This provides great work-life balance for me. I feel so well taken care of at my clinic that I can’t think of anything I’d like to change. Overall I’m pretty happy here and recommend it.

Pros

Benefits, Security, Compensation, Resources, Support, Bonuses

Jobs at Sentara Healthcare

See more jobs

Excellent COMPANY

Vascular tech who thoroughly enjoyed working for this company. Hate that I moved I would definitely go back if given the opportunity. Amazing people, good pay, clear protocols, and definitely a well established clinic.

Busy job must have high energy

It’s a cool place to work it is exponentially one of the most personable job that ever had. I would recommend this job to anyone who needs a later have a good day

Inclusive workplace, patient focused, team oriented

They keep their team up to date on everything. They are sure everyone feels included and supported. Patients are a priority and customer service is very important to them.

Nursing care partner

Working as a nursing care partner was very stressful and often the nursing where bullies and very rude. Managers don’t care to take your thoughts into consideration, They just want someone who will devote. All of there time to keep up with staffing. Severely overworked, 17+ patients a night with little help and support.

Benefits

Cons

Rude staff, killer mandatory overtime

I enjoyed my work there and the people.

Everyone got along well and Sentra supports toys for tots, which is something I liked being involved. We also recognized our birthdays and each others' accomplishments.

Pros

Steady work

Cons

not enough overtime

Wasn’t there very long as I didn’t like working overnight but overall a good place . You got paid 10% extra if you worked overnight which is a pro. You have total control over your schedule as well

Pros

4 days off

Cons

Dealing with difficult patients

Too many competing interests

Hard to get a good sense of goal prioritization- multiple competing needs without good direction. Management does not give adequate support and instruction.

Productive.

I enjoy working here. I feel like every unit works as team. I float four different hospitals and different units each shift to help out short staffed units on that day. I really learned so much working here. I graduate nursing school and wouldn’t mind transitioning to work here as an RN.

Happy to be here

The interview process was what you'd expect. Make sure you prepare by researching the company and go over common interview question topics. Interviews are always nerve wracking but I honestly felt like they were trying to make me comfortable.

Pros

Cons

None yet

Great work environment

The lab is a great place to learn and grow. Some days are slower than other but you will find something to do. Everyone is nice, because they enjoy their job. Job includes: accessioning, culture set ups, and harvesting.

Pros

decent pay. they value their employees

They try to care but it’s healthcare and the needs of the business are more important.

Sentara is a good company to work for. You have to be flexible as things are ever changing. Some supervisors are fantastic others leave something to be desired. Their pay is not fair by any means considering the nature and scope of the work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sentara Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss