Sentara Healthcare

United States2,529 reviews

Found 2,529 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,537 reviews
hospitalpatientnursenorfolkleighnursingunitmedical

Fast paced

Pre op would be my unit of choice. Med surg and ICU Are always busy. 12 hours shifts. Manage your time accordingly to achieve squeezing in a lunch break.

Busy but great place to work

Very busy Level 1 trauma center. Staff and leaders who work here are committed to the community. Many opportunities to learn new skills and grow. Feel supported by the leadership team.

Sentara Healthcare insights

Based on 1,034 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

I have massive anxieties going to work.

5:1 patient ratio sometimes 6:1. The nurses that's been a nurse 5-10 years are the biggest AH I have ever met (burnt out maybe?). They will give the hardest patients to the new nurses, they are very mean bullies who treats the unit like it's high school.

Good and bad

The pay is good. Constantly giving raises. No acknowledgment for a job well done. No work life balance. They believe work comes over everything else and want you to cover multiple job roles and responsibilities.

Opportunities and pay

During covid, not only we’re we given the chance to earn bonuses by picking up extra shifts, we were also given bonuses. We also got two across the board raises in a two year period. Sentara tried to ensure we had what we needed to care for patients so that people didnt leave to go travel

One star is a fair assessment

Very difficult in terms of work/life balance. Poor teamwork and negative workplace environment which is a direct reflection of management incompetence. NIckel and dime you at every turn.

Not a learning environment if you don’t have solid skills.

Fast pace and not a learning environment. Co workers set you up for failure by taking care of the early patient and asking you to room the late patient in a timely fashion. No paid holidays! You have to use your PAL, even if you haven’t accrued any.

Pros

Paid for work.

Cons

Poor management, HR tells you what they can’t do first, no breaks, no paid holidays, and lots of “working lunches.

Ed Techs think that they are RNs

Very high turnover . Discrimination against people of color for patients and employees. The comments that are made is very unprofessional at times Management doesn’t really care about employees and they are rude as well. Ed techs think that they are nurses and can over talk an Rn. Which is insane but management allows that as well along with allowing Ed techs to a lot of work that RNs should only be doing. Some of the staff is very lazy. For the amount of work the pay just is not enough at all

Great for introduction to healthcare

The first 6 months I worked alone as a CNA on the busiest floor, at full time. When they hired a second CNA I went part time 2 shifts per wek which is what I am currently, major burn out. Not enough pay for the amount of work CNA are expected to do. Feels like you're at the bottom of the totem pole as CNA here. Decent insurance, tuition assistance best thing they have to offer.

good

good great place place great pay, great Cafe food no problems, easy on boarding, takes while to get on due to background check, requires medical exam and vaccinations,

Absolutley no work life balance

You earn leave, can't use it. Written up if you get sick and miss work (even with a Drs excuse). Expected to work with COVID. You will be asked to pull a lot of overtime and work your days off but if you ask for an hour or two in return the answer will be "no". Must give 3 weeks notice for leave, no matter what...even for a Dr appointment for your child (Sometimes life does not give you 3 weeks notice). No humanity whatsoever from management. I enjoyed very much working with and caring for the patients. Immediate coworkers were very kind and supportive due to trauma bond of working in this environment.

Pros

Wingmen

Cons

No breaks. No time off. No support from management.

I loved working for sentara!

I worked in the hospice section of sentara as an aide and I truly loved it. short staffed like most companies, but worth the work. I loved the people i worked with and never met a coworker i didnt get along with. Good community and workplace

Pros

Community, supportive coworkers, raise every year

Cons

short staffed

Lacks teamwork between departments

Very poor management. You are made to feel like a machine with your only purpose is to push patients through like a meat factory. Departments are pitted against one another by making everything all about times instead of quality healthcare.

Good experience

It was a good experience to get your foot through the door and a great team. Just heavy work load sometimes. Management was okay, always willing to help out when you had questions.

Great for learning

Good place to work. Fast pace environment ans Always adjusting their methods to improve patient outcomes. This company is also very good with keeping staff educated. Something the educations seemed to be a bit much, but in the long run it helped to improve your skills and keep you up to date on best practice.

Pros

Good benefits and decent management

Cons

High turnover for staff

Great benefits and bonuses

Great benefits and bonuses. Pay could be better for the stress you have to put up with. Besides that not much to complain of. Great company and room for growth.

Feels like home

Sentara has been a great place to work. Like with any job there are good days and bad days. Covid was a stressful time for all. Sentara has made every effort to compensate for the difficulties of the past few years. I highly recommend Sentara as an employer.

Good place and rewarding to its staff

I’ve enjoyed working with Sentara. They provide their workers with good rewards works well with providing funds for back to school always helping staff to be safe

Sentara takes care of their patients and their employees. Staffing is tight but it is everywhere. It can be hard to leave in time with the work load.

Great benefits, rotating weekends.

Sentara is a good place to work if you need a stable career or a job with benefits, they have higher wages than other companies. Although that’s only if you can handle a toxic work environment, at times it feels chaotic. There’s a lot of favoritism, and not enough repercussions for the employees that don’t pull their weight or are trouble. It often feels like high school with a bunch of middle/older aged adults that have been there for 15-20 years. Definitely a pecking order and the entire morale of hospital seems to be very negative at times. They pride themselves on being inclusive but they really aren't. HR also doesn’t seem to be on your side at all if you have an issue especially if it’s with another employee, it’s hard to be fired there. Which is good and bad because the ones that probably shouldn’t have a job anymore still remain working. All in all, if you keep your head down and stay out of the way of the drama, you will be fine. It’s a job, that’s really it. If I could find somewhere else that offers what they do, I wouldn’t stay.

It’s ok

The Nurses will drain you. They are very lazy which makes my hard difficult. Nurses get no more than 4-6 patients while NCP’s have 8-12 . You have to have thick skin to work here

Common questions about Sentara Healthcare

Answered by current and former employees at Sentara Healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sentara Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss