Sentara Healthcare Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very low RN pay... chronically understaffed
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 12, 2018
Sentara has many great employees... the culture is good. The pay however is abysmal and the job is very stressful due to understaffing and unsafe nurse/patient ratios. The cost of living is above the national average in Virginia Beach but Sentara pays their nurses below national average wages.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Low salary. Unsafe staffing.
Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 5, 2018
really enjoy working in my department, don't have much to say about anything else. Not able to get a reference... I really wish they would change that.
Business Intelligence Developer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 4, 2018
Enjoyed my time at Sentara. The team is very collaborative and the work is challenging. Work consisted of collaborating at times with other teams. Followed more of a Waterfall Methodology than Agile. With this method the risk was greater towards the end, but it worked for the environment.
Sentara is a fun friendly and fast paced job that i enjoy
Endoscopy Technician (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 23, 2018
Sentara is a friendly, fun, fast paced work place that i enjoy. I love helping and caring for people and often put others interest before mine. I am a fast learner, who gets the job done.
Productive and energetic place to live
Medical office Assistant / Surgery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 13, 2018
Sentara employees strive to make our communities healthier places to live. We’re setting the standard for medical excellence within a vibrant, creative, and highly productive workplace. Our success is supported by a family-friendly culture that encourages community involvement and creates unlimited opportunities for development and growth.
Very fast paced, stressful at times.
LPN (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJune 5, 2018
I love my job and what i do. The physicians are not very understanding of the nurses. My manager has been great to me. Sentara is very pushy at how many patients need to be seen in a day. The building I work in is 30 years old and looks it on the inside and out. Very embarrassing for the patients to see a Dr office look that way.
I think of my coworkers like my second family. We all get along pretty well.
Pros
Great manager, love my patients, love being a nurse. Great benefits!
Cons
Short breaks, or no breaks at all, not good pay, low for my experience, and where i live.
productive
Clinical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 4, 2018
good working environment care for patients and works well to satisfying employee and employer needs is driven to build new careers and more opportunities
They have so much training that helps you learn your job.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJune 4, 2018
A typical day at wok is helping the patients to get their day started. I learn how to work together with my co workers and how to do the job well done. The management is ok. The work place is good. The hardest part about the job is when the aides are working short staff!! The most enjoyable part of the job is making sure that the patients are happy with their care!!
Great place to learn
Staff Nurse Occupational Health (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 2, 2018
Great place to develop skills. Active participant in healthcare studies. Great educational opportunites. Must use vacation days or scheduled days off for education.
the employees are over worked
Team Leader/Coordinator ESD (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 30, 2018
employees are over stressed at times. in fear of losing there jobs in the housekeeping department. Management is intimidating to employees. Bu the place has good medical benefits
Pros
uniforms are provided
Cons
poor management
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 21, 2018
It's a very stressful place when you don't have managers that know how to manage. Very unorganized in some departments. Most managers need more training on how to organize their team.
poor dept manager
ER Registrar (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMay 17, 2018
poor management for the dept. She allowed the position to change her personality. she never worked the department yet was allowed to manage it. when employees asked for assistance she would make excuses for not doing so. no recognition for anything good yet quick to condemn. she would constantly leave the department and not answer phone when called.
Pros
good benefits
Greatest place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 16, 2018
Great team work! Great people to work with, very quick paced but not stressful. Good benefits but a bit pricy and pay could be better since this hospital is a level 1 trauma center and we were always busy. often had free lunch for staff and mostly everyone was great to work with. Tons of continuing education for staff and doctors always willing to educate. I would definitely recommend working here.
Pros
Great team work
Cons
Pay could be better
productive
Senior Interventional and Vascular Technologist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 14, 2018
Sentara is a great place to work, excellent team work, excellent resources and management, very clean and patient focused institution. hardest part is seeing patients suffer from terminal illness.
Pros
great patient out come
Cons
non
awesome learning environment
Clinical Coordinator/Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 11, 2018
Worked at Trauma Hospital Stepdown unit. Great experience! Also worked in ER. Great experience. Sentara had 4 hospitals in its corporation. I worked and General and Bayside.
Pros
various levels of experience to learn from
Cons
management was weak at the time
Can move around in the company.
Environmental Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 4, 2018
Some of the managers are great to work with. The biggest in the healthcare system. I do enjoy my job working in different areas of the hospital. Also very big on patient care.
Many different specialties
Lead Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 2, 2018
I worked 17 different specialties in one week. It was worth it for all of my experience. I was helping patients without insurance, helping them get free medication.
Top place to work in Healthcare in area
Leadership (Current Employee) –  Sentara HealthcareApril 30, 2018
Sentara is a good company to work for. They strive to provide consistent quality care to all that seek treatment at one of their facilities.
The majority of the leadership is very good, however like any organization there are a few bad apples out there who are not exactly delightful to work with.
Like all other hospitals Sentara is trying to figure out what to do with the ever increasing number of patients. They are trying hard, however it's not an easy situation to fix. The staff are feeling stressed at times as a result.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, training for advancement.
Cons
Nationwide shortage of nurses on all levels
Stressful, but a great place to be
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 28, 2018
Well as I was serving my EMT Clinical, my position in the ER was somewhat odd. By a fluke I was the ONLY EMT in the ER the night I was there and such had much work to do despite technically being there to learn. I found this very stressful but even more fun and rewarding. It shaped where i want to go in my EMS career. Hardest part of the job was how many people needed help, as that night the ER was swarmed with people. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make those people's very bad days just a little better.
Pros
Free food, nice co-workers, NEVER boring
Cons
Short or no breaks, potential for insane people, long shift.
Sr. Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk VAApril 25, 2018
Sentara Healthcare has been outstanding for my Family and I. I am perfectly satisfied to continue working at Sentara, but am looking for an opportunity to move closer to my Mother who lives near Pinehurst NC.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sentara Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

55out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Sentara Healthcare.

Powered by Comparably