Sentara Healthcare Employee Reviews

Nursing harrisonburg
Nursing care partner (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VASeptember 14, 2018
This is the worse place I have ever worked. The people are back stabbing and fake. The best thing to do if you work there is come to work do your job and leave. Don’t associate with anyone. You get wrote up for the stupidest stuff, which doesn’t make sense. The other employees try to get you in trouble. Which in my case was unfounded. Even when you have a death or 2 or 3 close together in your family there is no compation for you while you’re life is falling apart. They don’t care about the employees you are just another number.
Benefits
Cons
I would recomend working for Sentara
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 14, 2018
My typical day at work consist getting service tickets for plumbing electrical issues for buildings I maintain. I have learned how to work with building control systems which is called DDC controls they control lighting, doors, HVAC systems etc. Management allows everyone to do the job instead of micro managing us, the culture in my department is very laid back . The hardest part of my job is working with other team members that don't want to do there job which makes my job harder. The most enjoyable part of my job is I really enjoy what I do, it challenges me the only problem is I would like to make more money.
Pros
Stable company secure
Cons
Not paying fairly compared to other companies in market
Wonderful work atmosphere
Inventory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 10, 2018
Sentara is a great place to start your career with phenomenal benefits. My journey at Sentara has been nothing but fun, I learned so much in the five years I've been there.
Pros
Job security and great working environment
Cons
Productive and fun place to work.
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VASeptember 7, 2018
Everyone knows their responsibilities and duties and everyone works together to make daily quota. Very fast paced and challenging position, works closely with supervisor and physicians. Time restraints are for most testing. Occasional troubleshooting techniques needed for laboratory analyzers when they are down. In the event of down times everyone is notified and results are sent via computer before turn around time. Most enjoyable part of job is the time flys by and the day is done before you know it.
Transition is tough.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 6, 2018
A work in progress. Leadership knows what needs to happen but don't quite have a handle on how to motivate the team to make progress. Sometimes there are too many chefs in the kitchen and nothing gets made.
Growing company
Echocardiographer (Current Employee) –  Kitty Hawk, NCSeptember 4, 2018
This company is growing daily. They stress that patient care is their top priority. I really could not complain about my wages , I’ve been compensated well enough. There needs to be more stability. The rapid growth has caused some outlying centers to close so they can focus on the larger hospitals. This has caused some issues with employees feeling insecure and seeking employment elsewhere.
Pros
A lot of open positions
Cons
Needs to cut down on management
Hard work
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAAugust 28, 2018
Sentara is pretty much a good company to work for but my department had poor management. And lack of employees. We had to work extra hard. It was extremely hot in my department
Productive and a fun place to work
Sr. Patient Accounting Representative (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 24, 2018
It has been quite some time since I last worked at Sentara. Processes and people have come and go; I am sure that there are still extremely productive areas within the company.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 23, 2018
Very rounded organization plenty of jobs available and great training. Great place for advancement. very mission driven organization. Great experience at this healthcare.
Pros
popular organization
Cons
owns a lot of businesses
Meetings
System Analyst Consultant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 20, 2018
Too much time wasted on nonproductive meetings. Some departments have so many different branches and none of them work in sync together for one simple job they pass you around.
Enjoyable and growing company
Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAAugust 19, 2018
Working for Sentara is a great place. I enjoyed my team and staff. I enjoy the classes that are provided for my success with the company. The opportunity to grow is available.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, encourged growth
Cons
staffing
Other departments will help if needed.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Boston, VAAugust 19, 2018
If management in some department does not like you. They will make your job harder than what it is. Very stressful environment when wanted to learn new things and if you don't know the right people you are treated with no respect. Management will talk horrible about you behind your bad and smile in your face.. Only time you find out the truth is when you leave the job.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Very poor Management
It was a ok workplace
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 16, 2018
It was a ok work place . It had its pros and cons . The co workers was good to work with the the nurses wasn’t so easy . But I made the best of it while I was working
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Lack of communication skills
Would not recommend
Environmental Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 9, 2018
Management cares about numbers not it's people. Getting time off takes an act of god due to the serious lack of staff, so good luck using the paid time off you earn. Work/life balance is extremely poor be prepared to work 8+ days in a row and give up scheduled days off to make appointments if you can't get a requested time off approved. Supplies needed to do your job were often not available. Good workers are not rewarded while poorer employees get away with murder. I will have to agree with another review on the cleaning of the rooms but I will add it strongly depends on who cleaned your room.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Poor management, Little work/life balance
senior patient representative
Senior Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 8, 2018
assisted patient with billing matters, adding and filing medical ins. continuously working with patient on the telephone and walk in with regards to billing matters. Printing patients bill and UBs.
Pros
family setting
It was a very biased environment; many people were treated poorly including myself. They have poor training for positions and no manuals for training
Scheduler/Orders Management (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAAugust 7, 2018
This job was stressful. I was treated unfairly and working hard was not acknowledged nor appreciated. The administrator showed favoritism and even gaved excessive raises to one employee when the rest of the office staff didn't receive a raise at all. There was excessive gossip and unprofessionalism that started from the Administrator sharing peoples personal information that she should not have shared with other employees. A very difficult place where even laughter amongst the staff was not acceptable.

I don't suggest this job for anyone who is a hard worker and loves to work as a team, friendly and outgoing. The environment was crippling.
Pros
steady work;
Cons
Administration; hostile work environment; unfair treatment of many
Good stepping stone
Radiology Services Coordinator/Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 31, 2018
I enjoyed working with Sentara. I had a chance to experience hospital and doctors' office through Sentara. Unfortunately, salary competition for my positions were always better outside of the organization. The staff and opportunities for learning were always available and offered.
Pros
Benefits and Additional Resources
Cons
Compensation
Floor Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 30, 2018
Good place to work great benefits excellent opportunities to grow, Healthcare is taken very seriously there and i would recommend anyone to work there, family friends other associates
Pros
Good people
Cons
Short breaks
Sentara
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 25, 2018
I would not recommend working here. The staff and management is very unprofessional. There is absolutely NO TEAMWORK at all. The resident to CNA ratio is terrible.
Poor management and cut throat coworkers
Advanced Medical Coding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 25, 2018
Management needs empathy training. The coworkers were cut throat and didn't hesitate to report or complain about every move you made. Lack of training.
Pros
Pay, benefits were ok
Cons
Hateful, uncaring management, constant changes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sentara Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

55out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Sentara Healthcare.

Powered by Comparably