Sentara Healthcare Employee Reviews

Lack of knowledge of management to adhere to policies
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 10, 2019
Mamagement would not listen to new voices. Management was unaware of procedures that did not follow protocol bring done Inadequate training. Also employees did not work as a team. No mileage compensation for call backs.
Pros
Overall company is good to work for
Cons
Lack of knowledge on managerial staff to safety and procedural protocol.
Great place to work! I want to go back!
Dietary Clerk, Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 8, 2019
Absolutely one if the best places to work ever! I loved the associates the dietary office things were well organized the people were good and kind! I miss Virginia Beach Sentara! Great company! And hopital!
Pros
Free meals, projects, and overtime opportunities recognition and fun clean and nice work environment
Cons
None!
Loved working here
Intensive Care Unit RN Sentara Leigh (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 8, 2019
I absolutely loved working at SVBGH! The employees are fabulous. I really miss working there. The benefits were great as fair as PTO and 401K/pension.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Some of the managers were awful people in general
SMG Department
Integrated LCSW (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 7, 2019
The LCSW worked with providers, and e scheduled. The case was 19-25 patients a day. The LCSW had 14 sites, and did house visits. There was a variety of work. The SMG department downsized and eliminated the LCSW position.
Pros
Exciting Work
Cons
Eliminated Position
Not a Good Company for MSW’s
MSW (Former Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAJanuary 5, 2019
This is not a company that values or edifies masters level Social Workers. They are required to know the skills and operate as a nurse and are told there is no distinguishing the two in the Integrated Care Management Department. There is also a large pay disparity
Good
Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  HamptonJanuary 5, 2019
Company provide great opportunity for growth. I was with the company for 3 years and advanced every year to a new position and now a team coordinator of a department.
Busy, with constant patient turnover
Unit Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 29, 2018
On a med surg unit with a emphasis on orthopedics, back and neck surgeries, there is a lot of turnover. We also get medicine patients on the weekends if the other units are full and at times have to lateral transfer those patients during the week to make room for our surgical patients.
Our manager is wonderful, and we have a strong team.
Benefits
Cons
Next to no continuting education or advancement for administrative associates
New to the company
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 23, 2018
Hiring takes a long time.. I applied several times before actually bgetting hired. From what I'm told, this company has alot of growth opportunity, they are under sentara belt so the growth is unlimited. I'm not sure about management just yet. During the interview process, I could tell one of the managers were over it. So that tells me alot, same thing happened when I interviewed before.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Short breaks depending on on schedule
Loved it
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 22, 2018
Great place to work, I worked as an RN in the ER. Smart nurses and docs at the time. Good flow. Good resources, nice team work. If I didn’t move, I would have stayed.
Pros
Good team
Provided me with diverse experiences
RN (Former Employee) –  South Boston, VADecember 10, 2018
Worked there from 1999 to 2015 when it was formerly Halifax Regional. I worked medical surgical when I first applied, then emergency room, hospice, and cath lab. Worked with great coworkers and pay was excellent.
Pros
Pay
Pot luck for employeers
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 27, 2018
I started my career working for this company. I was a Medical Assistant, and worked with Pediatrician, Family medicine and Urgent care. Working at this facility I wanted to learn more and do more things, I was able to transfer and work part-time and go to school for LPN.
I love working with the doctors, learning many, many things. Ex., I assisted a physician in doing a Sigmoidscopy on a patient, I'd given shots to adults as well as infants. I did referrals, getting authorizations numbers in order for resident to receive care from another facility. I gave advice to patients over the phone with the doctors approval. I called in refills to pharmacy. I assisted with minor surgeries as well as pap smears. There were a variety of duties I performed while working with this company
Pros
learning
Cons
breaks
A competitive place to work that demanded a lot of your time away from home with many opportunities for advancement.
MDS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 16, 2018
At Sentara you definitely had to work hard. I found myself working 8 to 12 hours a day at the facilities, then I would come home and work for hours, just to keep up. It seemed as if upper management would always find something more for you to do. I another form to fill out, that often made no sense at all. There was not a lot of team work. Each department that had a part to do in the MDS was always behind and often caused the assessments to be late. I complained at first about it, just like every other MDSC, but found it got me nowhere fast. So, I just did their sections myself, and there were no complaints from the department heads. I did ask that they complete the admission, annual, and significant changes so that they would know their patients. PPS and Quarterlies I did their sections. Now I am exaggerating a little, but I kid you not there were probably five different ways that the MDSC had to complete to notify the team of what assessments were due. You would think that a PPS sheet for the skilled assessments and a monthly calendar for the LTC assessments, would have been all you needed. But different department heads needed different forms to be able to complete their MDS. I felt like, I am doing five different forms for these departments, who complain that they cannot complete their sections on time because they don't know what is due. It was always an endless battle between the department heads and MDS. MDS was always to blame when being questioned over late assessments by the other department heads. It literally came down to CC: any and every email sent  more... out by MDS would also go to our manager and the department heads manager. It did not help. I can imagine that our manager was overwhelmed by the amount of emails sent. Interviews were never completed by Social Services, which was reflected by the fact the no resident in any Sentara facility had depression. Everyone scored 0, when pointed out the numbers on the form changed but still no one scored high enough to reflect signs of depression nor did they trigger a CAA. MDS got together and met monthly with our manager to discuss upcoming events, education, a party, or maybe just an opportunity to let off some steam as we found ourselves complaining to the wind. Each facility complained about the same things. Every MDSC worked hard long hours, and most if not all were under high levels of stress to get all the work completed that was demanded of them. Most MDSC also found themselves playing Clinical manager to the unit they worked for due to there being no Clinical manager or the clinical manager was off somewhere doing something. I was definitely a difficult job. It was fast paced with high levels of stress to get everything done, long long hours spent at the facility (we often joked about just living there), desperate cries for assistance from upper management to encourage their department head to do their sections of the MDS or complete interviews. We came in early to catch the night shift and left late often seeing the night shift, and this most of the time was just to complete forms for what seemed like no reason. We had several different manager, but no one greater than our first Linda Looman. She was awesome. I feel like all I have done is talk bad about Sentara, but it was not all bad. One of our many manager was able to take away our on call responsibility. Because if we are on the cart who is doing the MDS. It is a great place to learn about LTC and skilled services. I definitely learned a lot while I was there. I had two managers offer me leadership courses, but neither manager was able to make it happen. Open opportunities for advancement. If you did not like what you were doing, you could easily go somewhere else in another LTC/skilled facility or to the hospital, and there, there are so many different department you could change up anything you wanted. So, that was nice. Sentara helps pay for you to go back to school. They match you up to 6% in you 403b account, which is also nice. The people you work with and struggle with help with the stress of the daily hussle.  less
Pros
match up to 6% on 403b, job advancement, ability to go to another department or building.
Cons
Fast paced, lots of unnecessary forms to complete, stressful, no help from upper management with department heads.
Love this place
OFFICE NURSE (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 11, 2018
Assisted doctors with patients, refilled prescriptions, scheduling, performing basic office visits for patients needing immunizations, etc. Provided patients with best healthcare
a good company to work for
Mammography Technologist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 7, 2018
a company with very good structure and they keep employees very educated with the policies of the hospital. really enjoyed working with the patients and helping them through the procedures
Pros
free flu shots
Cons
families don't come first
Home Health
RN Level II Med Surg / Oncology (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake VANovember 4, 2018
Provided patients with care in the home. Coordinated care following physicians orders. Updated physicians with any changes in patients medical condition.
Pros
flexible
Cons
change in management
Very cut throat and unfair place to work
Sous Chef/Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 30, 2018
While employed here I've faced many obstacles and have lost a lot more than I've gained. I honestly could not recommend anyone to work for this company.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
yearly salary
Excellent culture and teamwork
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAOctober 30, 2018
There are many long-term employees here, which says so much about the culture of the organization. We have had staff leave feeling disgruntled, only to return realizing that the grass is indeed not greener on the other side - healthcare is hard work! Expect to come to work and provide the best care possible. Get involved in committees and teams if you feel change is needed. Find new friends at work, which makes the shift go so much faster!
Pros
new and engaged staff, stability, Nurse Residency Program (NRP)
Cons
many new graduate nurses, acute care is very hard but the NRP is designed to help with school to worklife transition
Sentara is a place to have a career.
Adminstrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 20, 2018
Working at Sentara is a good job for anyone who want this to be there forever job. You can grow in the company and they will also pay for some schools
Pros
No lack of work
Cons
Being around sinkness and sometimes sadness.
operating room
RN Circulator (Current Employee) –  Suffolk, VAOctober 15, 2018
functioned mostly as outpatient surgery specialties such as general, ortho, plastics, vascular, thoracic, urology, gynecology, podiatry. small hospital. local atmosphere
Way to many Clicks!
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 10, 2018
I didn't like the dept. I was assigned to. Way to many clicks! If you din't belong to a certain group you was pretty much treated like an outcast. My co-workers were lazy and relied on me and the new hires to pull much of the work load. And they cut corners which was very bad for patient health. Nothing nice to say about Sentara Virginia Beach General
Pros
My supervisor was nice.
Cons
No help!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sentara Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Sentara Healthcare.

Powered by Comparably