Sephora
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Sephora:

Sephora Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA40 reviews
Okay
Free makeup was great. On day training. Got to work with a lot of different skincare, makeup, and hair brands to further my knowledge. They preach on work-life balance but it doesn't exist.
productive and well balanced
My current employer has a great variance between life and work balance. I appreciate the way they are very cultured as well and have no discrimination on anyone
Loved working here
If you love makeup you will love working at sephora. Everyone is very nice to work with. You get free makeup on every pay day. Room to grow and become a makeup artist.
Fun Place to Work
If you love make-up, helping others, and learning, Sephora may be almost perfect for you.
I worked in a major US city area, so there were senior artists who came weekly to train people in our store (NOTE: not all locations have that Senior Artist support that frequently). I loved working there, worked hard, enjoyed helping customers and the store meet goals.

Management can really make the difference in your store though. Unfortunately, the manager at the store I worked at forced me to resign, claiming my new availability (Sun and Mon off but unrestricted availability all other days) didn't meet the needs of the company even though this same manager permitted one of her employees to work 1 day PER MONTH simply so that employee could keep getting gratis!!! I asked if other stores could use my availability, but this was non-negotiable with her. Very disappointing, but still enjoyed my time there overall.
It was a good place to work while you are at school and if you are passionate about makeup. You are expected to make sales. Gratis is amazing you get free makeup every week.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Management gave me stress. I wanted to grow up but never get a chance.
I was cashier for like a year in different locations. They kept hiring new people for makeup advisor but never gave me chance to grow. I quit in the end. And I think I would never go back to work again. Favoritism place.
Microwave Culture
To the naked eye Sephora seems like a dream job. Wonderful benefits, and a place to be yourself...or so I thought. Living in a major city where the cost of living is increasingly unbearable, the hourly rate is not enough especially for all the work I do. The company is ran by people who does not understand the culture of the beauty industry and is very much an oh so apparent cast system.
I LOVE Sephora!
Sephora was like a second home to me. we received gratis that we could try on ourselves so we could better educate our clients and I enjoyed that because we were able to truthfully report to our clients what did and did not work. The culture was supportive and collaborative and we received training regularly, so none of us felt left behind. My only con is that hours could be taken away or increased at the manager's will and full-time positions were not promised, even if you had been working for more than two years. Overall, I enjoyed my experience with Sephora and would highly recommend!
Pros
gratis, work culture, diverse clientele, training
Cons
inconsistent scheduling
Poor Management, no room for growth
Management at Sephora is really poor. They don't value there employees, there's a lot of underhanded racism and discrimination throughout the work environment. Management only looks out for its employees when it's to there benefit. There's too much focus on technology and not enough on driving sales and artistry. Leadership also does not know how to properly communicate with there team, and every thing is done sneakily and often with underlying intent. There are no type of benefits provided for part-time employees, also they don't except doctors notes for when you have to call out sick.
Fun co workers, great customers.
Great place to work. Management is supportive. You are on your feet 7 1/2 hours. Helping people to feel confident and good about themselves by making them look amazing. Love having repeat customers that we all know by name.
Pros
Free make up samples
Cons
long hours on feet
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sephora?
sucked
was judged because i was different by management loved my other employees tho and was a lot of colorism involved in my location and never got proper training
It can be a great place to work if you have the right leadership guiding you
Depending on the store that you work in, it can either inspire you, or discourage you. I have visited locations where there is a happy work culture because Beauty Advisors are treated with dignity and respect. Unfortunately, the store that I worked in, the Store Director only looked out for her best interest, which then caused a negative culture within the team.
You can get the best trainings from great brands, as well as a Pro Artist to guide you through your artistry techniques; there are wonderful resources with that! You also can get a lot of gratis, which is great!

But for me, the reason I left is because my management didn't believe in the work life balance value that Sephora promotes.
Pros
Lots of education and gratis
Cons
No work life balance
Fun, Makeup-Savvy, Hard work though
Sephora is an amazing place to work if you want to start off learning about makeup. There is so much room for growth. The senior artist really helps to take care of you and is always willing to answer any makeup related question.
It's tough moving from cashier to product consultant though. Holidays have black-out days which means you can no longer request off during those days. There are little to no breaks, especially during busy hours.

They offer great benefits like 401k, dental, vision... You get free makeup almost every day but it varies depending on your position in the store. Management got the most product, followed by product consultants aka makeup artists, and cashiers, replenishment, and fragrance experts were last. The discount is only 30% which isn't terrible considering how much free makeup and skincare you get.

Work-life-balance is one of their core values although it is hard to maintain. THere is a lot of training if you want to move up in the company. Monthly bonuses are offered if the daily goal is bmet which is awesome. There are two bonuses, apply bonus and survey bonuses.
Pros
free food from vendors, lots of benefits for full-time employees, free makeup and skincare, discounted makeup, training on products and demos, always something new to learn
Cons
little to no break, no holidays off, long hours, standing for entirety of shift, extremely difficult to move up the ladder
Amazing
I loved working at Sephora. It was a great job and the culture is simply amazing. I have always had a thing cosmetics and Sephora allowed me to grow and learn in a face paced warm and friendly environment.
The best place to start out
Sephora is a place to start because is gives you great exposure to so many brands. The education and teamwork at Sephora is much different than what you see in the industry. A great place in general to work.
Pros
Lots of Education and Gratis
Cons
The salary
love to work in beauty field
I always worked with people and I enjoyed working with cosmetics. Work brings joy to my life and I love to be active and to achieve the goal of my team
Pros
free samples
Cons
long hours during the christmass
Make up zone
it was amazing working for sephora, I always used to be in make up zone which made it so much fun for me. I love our management they were so friendly and day used to go by so fast. I would definitely go back and work for their team.
Pros
Employee discount
not great
I did not enjoy working for Sephora. I felt that management was not exactly great, and that the fellow employees were hyper competitive and caused a hostile work environment at times, but i liked the clients and learning more about makeup.
Fun,Busy,and organized
There is a goal set for each day.
Surpassing goals overall monthly would mean a bonus.

The bonus is dependent on how much was made over goal.

Fast paced environment with lots of brands and products to learn about.

Gratis is given quarterly so you can experience the products that you're selling.

Clients are usually nice and you get apply makeup on them.
very fun place to work
I loved the place bcz we had all the cosmetic lines there we also got trained on all of them mostly each mount and they use to give us so much gratis as well.
Pros
free gratis
Cons
health care vacation pay
Reston Sephora has become a non-work-life-balance place
The new management that came into play this year has not kept up with Sephora's pride principle of supporting it's employees' work-life balance. Favoritism has become the new principle for the Reston Sephora. The average time a new employee lasts at this location is approximately 2 months.
Pros
The customers, your co-workers (the non-managerial positions), the experience of working for the company Sephora itself
Cons
Poor management, no paid time off, poor scheduling, minimal working hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.
1.5K
1.3K
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Sephora.