Sephora Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
51.1K
Found 1,969 reviews matching the search See all 2,798 reviews
slightly cramped but still good
Operations/Stocker (Part Time, Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2018
the location was a little small but the staff was very welcoming, coworkers helped me learn the ins and outs of the store fairly quickly. it had a lot of bending down and i have a bad back and bad knees so it just wasn't a good fit for me but it was a very good work environment
Pros
free lunches during the holidays, friendly staff, friendly managers
Fun and productive work environment
PRODUCT CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CAAugust 13, 2018
THIS IS FOR PART-TIME ONLY!! Work hours are ok, not the worse, but not the best for a part time. In my location, my manager is the best and is considerate and works with your schedule. it's like a family. We (coworkers) all get along and help support each other in every situation good or bad. At times it can be stressful, also it is a fast paced environment as well as multitasking. I don't have much negativity to say about my SiJCPenney work place, the issues I have with the company is not enough hours, pay is fair, but not enough for having SO MANY MORE responsibilities than what the job description shows. There's a lot of favoritism and unfairness depending on the people you work for in the department. Not the best benefits (no medical insurance) apart from dental, 401K and vision etc. The company has its goods and the bads, there ups and downs, the way I see it is that its more of a temporary work place to get experience while your building your career.
Pros
family, feel wanted, support, flexible, and fun
Cons
short breaks, benefits, unfairness, streesful, favoritizm
Fun, Makeup-Savvy, Hard work though
Color Consultant/Beauty Class Facilitator (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 13, 2018
Sephora is an amazing place to work if you want to start off learning about makeup. There is so much room for growth. The senior artist really helps to take care of you and is always willing to answer any makeup related question.
It's tough moving from cashier to product consultant though. Holidays have black-out days which means you can no longer request off during those days. There are little to no breaks, especially during busy hours.
They offer great benefits like 401k, dental, vision... You get free makeup almost every day but it varies depending on your position in the store. Management got the most product, followed by product consultants aka makeup artists, and cashiers, replenishment, and fragrance experts were last. The discount is only 30% which isn't terrible considering how much free makeup and skincare you get.
Work-life-balance is one of their core values although it is hard to maintain. THere is a lot of training if you want to move up in the company. Monthly bonuses are offered if the daily goal is bmet which is awesome. There are two bonuses, apply bonus and survey bonuses.
Pros
free food from vendors, lots of benefits for full-time employees, free makeup and skincare, discounted makeup, training on products and demos, always something new to learn
Cons
little to no break, no holidays off, long hours, standing for entirety of shift, extremely difficult to move up the ladder
Great, energetic working enviorment
cashier and makeup artist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2018
working at sephora i was surrounded by great hardworking team members always willing to help and teach me along the way. sephora taught me many skills such as time management, the ability to multi task, and customer service skills.
Fun place to work at.
Fragrance Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2018
They are very big with being able to freely express yourself. You will be strong relationships with brand vendors while working here which applies to networking.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
feels as the pay doesn't match the work that is put in.
it was a great experience
Shipping Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Belcamp, MDAugust 12, 2018
I learned to work with a larger group of hard workers. such as myself. I had a great team as well. I love when im working the line because its a easy task and I move fast when doing it. working at Sephora is a great experience because you can learn how to use machines that you never use before and learn how to organize and learn partnership.
Pros
we got to leave early when all the work was done for the night
Cons
not being able to have earphones when you working in one section along
Fun Job, Overbearing Management, No Opportunity for Advancement
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 10, 2018
We were encouraged to watch customers for theft, as opposed to focusing on artistry and selling the products. Management treated me like a beginner, when I had more experience than their "senior artist." I expressed interest in helping with classes, and got no feedback. I was made to believe that there were opportunities for advancement in the company, which is false... Management would treat employees like children, forcing us to give up brushes that were set aside briefly and put them in "brush jail" (don't ask). No constructive criticism or creative ideas were valued within the team. If things were not done word-for-word, the way sephora told you to do them, it was wrong. If you are a makeup artist or have experience in the industry, this is not the position for you.
Great culture with strict rules, yet friendly employees
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXAugust 9, 2018
I loved with store environment of Sephora. All employees and corporate visitors were friendly excited and constantly celebrated any successes at a store level while also firmly explaining any opportunities our store had.
Insightful about the beauty industry
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAAugust 9, 2018
I've met some amazing people so far who are always willing to help when needed. I also find the makeup industry intriguing but knew so little about it but I've gained so much insight from working here, especially in such a short amount of time.
Productive company, kind employers/employees, managers are always nice and understanding
Temp Color Consultant (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILAugust 8, 2018
Everyone makes you feel comfortable at Sephora. I was seasonal and they treated me like family. The management and employees at Oak Brook location were extremely nice and welcoming. They always helped and never made you do anything you didn't want to do. Everyone works like a team.
Every store and leader is different
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 8, 2018
While for the most part the company is great, it is still retail and every store is different. Favoritism is prevalent in certain stores and with certain leadership at all levels in store and beyond. The company culture is great and there is room for advancement to a point but you have to be willing to play the game.
Pros
gratis, brand training, products
Cons
inconsistent messaging, favoritism, pay
Not much advancement
Ma-Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chestnut Hill, MAAugust 8, 2018
Working at sephora is fun but there is little to no room to move up in the company and if you can it will take forever to do so. Managers are great but there is a lot of favoritism.
Inconsistent Hours for Seasonal/ Part time Employees
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Horseheads, NYAugust 6, 2018
I had been working at my Mall's Sephora inside JCP for three seasons previous to the 2017/2018 holiday season. I had more experience than any other new seasonal hire and could even perform mini-makeovers, whereas the other new-hires could not, but I was given only 2 days worth of work in the entire month I was home, despite my previous experience and my new manager personally reaching out to me, requesting I come back to work for the season. Ultimately this led to me leaving Sephora, and not bothering to reapply at the Sephora where I live now that I have graduated college, as I am weary of the limited hours and over-hiring, which is a shame because I actually really liked working for Sephora as a company in previous seasons.
Sephora
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WA 99207August 1, 2018
I have nothing bad to say about this company I loved every second of my time working at Sephora. I learned so much and never felt like I was working being in such a constantly fun environment.
Pros
Everything such a great company!
Cons
not a big enough discount lol
Loved it great customers and the team effort at Sephora was amazing it was like a lil family that grew and continues to grow
Fragrance Consultant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 1, 2018
Over all working for Sephora was amazing I was working for Sephora well I was I. School for cosmetology during the time I was able to maintain work and school I truly enjoyed working for Sephora it’s a great place to work and the atmosphere was amazing loved it
Alright work place
WAREHOUSE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Perryman, MDJuly 31, 2018
A typical day all depends on what role you have been assigned for the month. I can feel anything from easy going to back breaking and boring. I learned a lot about warehouse work and how it is and isn't done. Management was ok. Coworkers were very cool. Hardest part of the job is during busy seasons when you work 60-70 hrs a week and then during the slow times, when there's no work and you get cut as much as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job is probably being around some of the employees, getting a good paycheck, and being off on holidays.
Pros
benefits, acceptance among coworkers, pay
Cons
Favoritism, dust/getting sick, PTO is earned very slowly, points system
open space to grow
OPERATION PRODUCT CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INJuly 31, 2018
While working at Sephora you learn a lot. About many types of brands, how to best cater to your costumes, and how to best perform in your position. Good growth opportunities were offered.
Over all great
Skincare consultant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 30, 2018
Sephora is a wonderful company to work for. You receive day to day trainings daily goals communication to service clients gratis to try out products sick time and great co works
Pros
Gratis, lunch, bonuses
Cons
Non perks for Not reaching our goals
Eh
Inside JCP Senior Education Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2018
Not much to speak of limited opportunity most of the time given the run around and the compensation is below average dir the market I currently reside in
It's who you know
LEAD/Operations (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 30, 2018
The guidelines are very strict and to the book. Management changed rapidly. The events and education aspects were a plus. Hours are cut due to payroll which was detrimental to those needing hours as well as those receiving health benefits. It was a very caddy environment. There was a lack of ethics in regards to honesty with some of the members of management at several of the locations I worked for.
Pros
Events, Education
Cons
Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight