Sephora

Sephora insights

Based on 1,117 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Fun place to work but management needs work

Somewhat flexible schedule but manager is not understanding. The customers are very wonderful and the environment is great! The manager is very condescending and sometimes rude

A solid job

It’s fun to play with makeup but at the end of the day it’s still a retail job. You work weekends, and random hours but if you enjoy what you do it can be really fun.

Pros

Free makeup, education

Cons

Schedule

One of the best retail jobs out there, but lack of support for disabled employees

Sephora is by far the most positive, fun and engaging retail job I’ve ever had. Every employee has a common love for beauty, inclusivity for LGBT and POC employees and clients is a requirement, and having fun is encouraged. The clientele is all over the place. As always with high end retail, there are a lot of rude, entitled rich customers verbally abusing employees. This has only been amplified by Covid-19 and lack of mask mandate enforcement. I also have meaningful, enriching client interactions that give me a break from the aggressive people though. This seems to be the case in all retail jobs right now. Sephora has a focus on regularly training and educating employees. There are weekly trainings on product knowledge, diversity & inclusion and new brands. Week days are easy. Low to moderate store traffic and adequate staffing. Weekends are extremely hard. The equivalent of holiday traffic every Saturday and Sunday since our location is in a shopping center. Understaffed on weekends and lack of communication within team. Now for the biggest major con: disabled employees are not properly listened to, supported or accommodated. I have physical limitations and I am primarily given duties that are physically strenuous to me. There is a sense of gatekeeping when it comes to who gets to be on the floor helping clients. Sephora needs to have a new diversity training on ADA compliance, because management is not educated on it at all.If you are able bodied, this is an amazing job with growth opportunities. For now, avoid working here if you have a disability.

Pros

Long breaks, flexible schedule, LGBT friendly, free product

Cons

Minimum wage, poor disability accommodations, abusive customers

Fun place to work

Easygoing as long as you do what your there to do. Hiring process always quick and painless. Consistent lunch and break times which is nice. I was hired in by a staffing agency which I had never done before.

Pros

Free lunched

Cons

No clocks

Please consider before applying

I feel as though I wasted years- in my opinion I wouldn’t apply- I will never work for them again.I was a store manager for years and it’s my opinion that when I left no one noticed or cared.The company was fun and a great place to work at 4 years ago and in my opinion it has changed 100%.In my opinion they no longer care about the people who work in stores but they do care about the bottom line.In my opinion I used to feel as though I was special and belonged, at the end of Employment I felt invisible.In my opinion they expect you to work 60+ hours as an exempt and at home.In my opinion the values, fun, advancement and people are no longer a priority for the company.

Pros

Free products to try

Cons

No :Work, life and balance and values lost

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Temporary Stepping Stone

Steer clear. All the San Antonio managers are horrible. It’s all politics and only the favorites will get promoted or will actually get hours. I was hired as full time and was lucky to receive 15-20 hours a week. I wouldn’t recommend my best friend to work here. My frenemy maybe. The one pro is that you get lots of free product, however the managers usually steal from you and pick what they want before it’s actually given to us. So we basically would get the overflow. I think as an organization maybe they have good intentions, but even the district manager played favorites. It was hard to see past all the negativity and toxic work environment and people. I’m hoping someone else had a better experience than me. I’m usually the person that gets along with everyone but this company is a joke, and I would only recommend it to someone that doesn’t need a job and only doing it for fun, especially since job security isn’t really there.

Pros

free products

Cons

Almost everything

Exciting place to work within the beauty industry

If you enjoy and are looking to work in the beauty industry but at a retail level Sephora is the place. The benefits, free gratis, and opportunity to learn from brand owners is amazing, especially for a retail company. But the only downside is it is still retail, so the hours can be straining and the clientele can be awful. On a company level, from someone who’s worked Retail for over 10 years with different companies, Sephora hands down cares the most about their employees.

Pros

Gratis (free product), learning right from the brand owners, room to grow and learn

Cons

Overly worked, under staffed

Great fun place

Sephora is a fun fast paced environment to work in. You are constantly moving and interacting with clients. You meet the most creative and outgoing people.

The company is changing but not for the better

I’m embarrassed that I Spent too many year expecting that this company would value me and my work. Under paid, over worked and overlooked when it came time for a promotion. Last straw is when they promoted a 25 yo with 2 with the company in to an upper management position when I was next. So I spent my days training my boss that can speak the the business but makes 15k more than me. QUITTING WAS THE BEST THINKI EVER DID. Scratch that cutting that stupid uniform off of me on my last day is the best thing I ever did.

Fun place to work!

I learned so much with my career at Sephora, trainings were in depth, management was very supportive if they knew you were able to advance and overall culture was strong. I will always cherish my time with this company.

Jobs at Sephora

See more jobs

Not the worst job

I was just a holiday cashier at Sephora. My co-workers were awesome as well as my supervisors. It could get stressful, and there wasn't very many benefits that came with the job. It's not the worst place to work, and I would recommend working there if you want to go into cosmetology because I did learn a thing or two!

Pros

Huge discount!

Cons

Short lunches, not a lot of benefits

Great discount , good place for a retail job.

This is one of the few retail jobs that doesn’t feel like retail . Work hours are reasonable . Pay isn’t so great when you have all this experience . Great place to start out . Takes a lot to grow within the company . Great employee discount and gratis .

Pros

Great employee discount, gratis, work/life balance

Cons

Pay, management

Fun but shady

I worked for the company for seven years. I had plenty of different district managers and store directors. For the most part they did their best to try to develop their people. But worklife balance was nonexistent. The scheduling was never consistent. And corporate when they would make goals didn’t seem to understand the geographical areas trending traffic. That made it difficult to achieve certain metrics.

Pros

Meeting new people, benefits

Cons

They didn’t pay well. And you had no work life balance.

MakeUp artist

There is a lot of gossip that happens at this job. There is a lot of coaching opportunities and they do taken time to train the employees to stay up to date on new procedures.

Worked at Sephora for 8 years. Management is good and you have a lot of room to grow and management helps you get there. Pay is decent. As long as you work hard you’ll have a good time at Sephora

Pros

Gratis, advancement, bonus

Fun and funnier

Good work place. Good pay. Working operations was definitely fun! Some of management was extremely immature and irresponsible. You work in the mornings which is nice, gives you an opportunity to do other things later.

Pros

AM shifts discounts on product

Cons

Immature Managers

Company Values Are A Joke! Certainly Don’t Live Up To Them!

Avoid working for this company because you will hate it! There is no work life balance and the pay is horrible you will be making LOW WAGES when the store you work in is hitting all metrics and is a A volume store!!! You obtain a bonus but even that is little! The store management team doesn’t promote or invest in hardworking individuals unless you are considered their Favorite! I noticed they are very picky and shady on who they hire! There are certainly more growth needed in the area of Diversity and Inclusion in this organization to ensure inclusion and fair treatment is given! Managers come off very annoyed, apathetic and downright rude to staff and customers! Overall a negative experience and I don’t recommend, only if you devalue yourself go right ahead you be doing more security than anything when you clock in!

Pros

Brand Reps

Cons

Pay, Managers, Scheduling, Store Hours

It’s ok

Yea great company but bad pay too many goals and ideada you have to work on that you don’t get paid enough to do. Benefits suck. They don’t care about workers.

Pros

Fulfilling

Cons

Bad pay

Growth Opportunities

Working in leadership is pretty great if you’re willing to sacrifice any sense of normalcy in your outside of work life. The hours can be daunting. One day you might work 8-4pm the next you close, and there’s not any consistency in that. There are a lot of ways to learn something new everyday and that keeps the job fun and interesting.

Pros

Professional development

Cons

Little work life balance for full time employees

Great coworkers, but very corporate...

Besides getting to play and sell make-up/skincare/fragrance, there was always great camaraderie among the cast members. Customer interaction expectations were very metrics based. Cast members were expected to only spend 2 minutes with a customer and up-selling was expected.

Pros

free product, fun coworkers

Cons

too corporate

Its All Lipservice

Managers spend little time assisting clients and pass them off to other employees bc most of them lack the expertise to provide foundation shade matches or abilities to help clients pick out simpler items. They have an attitude of it being beneath them and dont take the time to learn. Regional management is very concerned with the results of their pull-up challenge and are selecting specific races of people to be employees vs seeking experience and skills. Work schedule is exhausting, weekends required, and you often are scheduled more than 5 days in a row and/or scheduled to return to work within 8 hours of leaving. Work-life balance is non existent. If management decides they want to be rid of an employee they will use petty policies (ex. Wear only one necklace at a time, fingernails can be no longer than 1/4 inch, socks must be black or nude) to write people up and push them out. Avoid.

Pros

Great free products to try

Cons

Rigged advancement system, required to push credit card, beholden to a client survey model

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.7K
1.4K

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
4.0Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight