SEPTA Employee Reviews

It works if you work it
Construction Equipment Operator (C.E.O) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 17, 2019
Do your job and everything else will work it’s way out. The work environment is fast paced and very technical everything is based on time accuracy and relying on your other coworkers for safety and getting work assignments completed.
Pros
Free transportation
Cons
Family gotta pay to ride
Good beginning
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 26, 2018
Only good for the paid initial training and then its advisable to apply at other police job opportunities. There are some great people to learn from and obtain invaluable experience.
Pros
Training, pension
Cons
Pay, work environment, management
Good pay and benefits, good co - workers
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2018
Allow those who wish to work a traditional 40 hour schedule to opt out of the crazy 80+ hour a week schedule you currently have in place for railroad workers. Yes, the money seems awesome at first, but you will be working the equivalent of two full-time jobs to get it. People there 30 years get excited if they have two consecutive days off, that tells you what the future holds in store for a new hire. If you have …
Great bunch of co-workers... Mostly
CEO Class 1 (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 30, 2018
I enjoyed working at SEPTA for 10+ years. I worked in the Utility dept
operating heavy equipment. Management expects a lot out of you placing you in precarious positions. All in all it was pretty cool....
Pros
Fellow workers
Cons
Management expectations
Good money, Depots are High Schools and Management doesn't correct it
Professional Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  ComlyNovember 11, 2018
Dynamics of the job changed for me after changes in my family. Job is very stressful and rewarding dealing with the public. Depots are full of nonsense some great friendships were birthed from this job. Money was great. But missed my daughters entire teen life.
No fun
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 25, 2018
Hard work, no time for your family crazy hours, but they do pay you well, even though I design I probably would go back but not as a bus Operator.
Good job
Conductor/Engineer trainee
Conductor / Engineer Trainee (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 10, 2018
My response abilities included greeting passengers departing and boarding trains, provided information and directions to passengers, and managed on board monetary and ticket fares. I learned a lot about the railroad rule and regulations.
Fast paced and adventurous never a dull moment.......
Trolley Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 22, 2018
Septa is a great company to work for. I was able to put my two sons threw college and provide for my family with just one income. I was a single parent and was worried about my children’s future without financial support from their mother. Septa allowed me to do so. I have learned and experienced a lot working in transportation it’s amazing how mass transit company like SEPTA can provide mobility to the public in so many forms and everyone has a responsibility even the passengers. I love it!!! Septa always has room for advancement for it’s employees so you never feel like it’s a dead end job.
Pros
Advancement opportunities and free employee pass
Cons
Septa never sleeps
Made a career at SEPTA
Parts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 19, 2018
Working at SEPTA I had enjoyable times, met a lot of great people and made life long friends. Bus Mechanic at SEPTA is very hard work but rewarding. Typical day was from 6am to 2:30 pm
Over time was available.
stressful
Bus operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 28, 2018
job was stressful employees were , get blamed for everything ,the pay was good had to do overtime tho to make money that required working on days off to earn it
Think hard about coming to work at SEPTA
SAM (Current Employee) –  1234 MarketAugust 27, 2018
If you have a relative that works here great!!! Your job is in the bag.

If you are a person that a lot of experience and education forget advancement.

Management really does not care about Grades 38 or below.

Change is really needed.

Benefits are good.
benefits
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Fast pace and good job advancement
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 23, 2018
Come to work. Never lie about anything. Accidents are just that an ACCIDENT!! There is the opportunity to make a lot of money but don’t kill yourself doing it and don’t live beyond your means. As fast as you get the job you can be let go even faster. But if you can deal with the hectic schedules and dealing with the public working for Septa is an excellent job/career to have.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Very exhausting and little time for family or friends
Fast paced, quick thinking environment
SEPTA Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 16, 2018
Great place to have a career and meet new people. Good attitude required. Fun and educational. Help many cultures navigate the city and surrounding counties.
Great Workplace
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 12, 2018
Typical 8 hour shifts with overtime available most of the time
Learned how to mess with ADA equipment and electrical work. Management is good they pretty much let you do your job. Culture is good as everyone gets along and are willing to help if you need it.
Pros
Competitive benefits with pension
Cons
funplace down time we use to shoot pool
bus operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 4, 2018
a typical day go in get run sheet and go out to work i learned about people of the world i learned patience the hardest part of the job was doing 13hours tired
Pros
raises
good for some i suppose
manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 26, 2018
Treated like children. It is an autocracy. Upper management has trouble letting personnel make decisions. Upper management needs serious leadership training. They think like engineers not managers or executives.
Is an easy job but it’s a tough career with racial management
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 16, 2018
It’s a job full of stress that you never can get paid for. It serves its purpose just to have money and pay bills but it’s not a fun career and it has changed drastically over the years
Pros
Seniority discounts at certain stores
Cons
Not enough rest between shifts and sometimes can’t even eat until end of a 10 or 8 hour shift
Good work inviorment
Auto Body Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 6, 2018
Good work place,benifits are good,competitive,sometimes slow other times you have to hussel,I like it,lots people everyone get along well most of the time,a lot of different task everyday ,sometimes dangerous very challenging ,lot of very knowledgeable people around you and in the system abroad,overall it's good place to work.
Pros
Five weeks vacation after 23 yrs
Cons
Shift picks
Great benefits and training.
Railroad Conductor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 1, 2018
SEPTA had provided excellent training for me to become a railroad Conductor. I got an opportunity to work and train at other railroads like Amtak which was a great experience. This was all included in my training to work on the railroad. SEPTA offered great benefits while I was employed there, however, their management is poor and highly unskilled. To much bigotry, racism and sexism is what I experienced while working at SEPTA.
Pros
Excellent training
Cons
Poorly managed
Productive work environment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 29, 2018
Excellent company to work for. Able to move around in the company regarding job promotions and lateral moves. Because of the union, very protective of its workers.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SEPTA. Our community is ready to answer.