SEPTA Employee Reviews

Think hard about coming to work at SEPTA
SAM (Current Employee) –  1234 MarketAugust 27, 2018
If you have a relative that works here great!!! Your job is in the bag.

If you are a person that a lot of experience and education forget advancement.

Management really does not care about Grades 38 or below.

Change is really needed.

Benefits are good.
benefits
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Fast pace and good job advancement
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 23, 2018
Come to work. Never lie about anything. Accidents are just that an ACCIDENT!! There is the opportunity to make a lot of money but don’t kill yourself doing it and don’t live beyond your means. As fast as you get the job you can be let go even faster. But if you can deal with the hectic schedules and dealing with the public working for Septa is an excellent job/career to have.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Very exhausting and little time for family or friends
Fast paced, quick thinking environment
SEPTA Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 16, 2018
Great place to have a career and meet new people. Good attitude required. Fun and educational. Help many cultures navigate the city and surrounding counties.
funplace down time we use to shoot pool
bus operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 4, 2018
a typical day go in get run sheet and go out to work i learned about people of the world i learned patience the hardest part of the job was doing 13hours tired
Pros
raises
good for some i suppose
manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 26, 2018
Treated like children. It is an autocracy. Upper management has trouble letting personnel make decisions. Upper management needs serious leadership training. They think like engineers not managers or executives.
Is an easy job but it’s a tough career with racial management
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 16, 2018
It’s a job full of stress that you never can get paid for. It serves its purpose just to have money and pay bills but it’s not a fun career and it has changed drastically over the years
Pros
Seniority discounts at certain stores
Cons
Not enough rest between shifts and sometimes can’t even eat until end of a 10 or 8 hour shift
Good work inviorment
Auto Body Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 6, 2018
Good work place,benifits are good,competitive,sometimes slow other times you have to hussel,I like it,lots people everyone get along well most of the time,a lot of different task everyday ,sometimes dangerous very challenging ,lot of very knowledgeable people around you and in the system abroad,overall it's good place to work.
Pros
Five weeks vacation after 23 yrs
Cons
Shift picks
Great benefits and training.
Railroad Conductor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 1, 2018
SEPTA had provided excellent training for me to become a railroad Conductor. I got an opportunity to work and train at other railroads like Amtak which was a great experience. This was all included in my training to work on the railroad. SEPTA offered great benefits while I was employed there, however, their management is poor and highly unskilled. To much bigotry, racism and sexism is what I experienced while working at SEPTA.
Pros
Excellent training
Cons
Poorly managed
Productive work environment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 29, 2018
Excellent company to work for. Able to move around in the company regarding job promotions and lateral moves. Because of the union, very protective of its workers.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Excellent place to work
Receptionist/Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 17, 2018
Excellent place to work. Government job at its best. job could be a bit busy at times. otherwise, it is very relaxed and is able to work in our own pace.
Politics Rule the Day
Engineer (Former Employee) –  1234 Market StJune 15, 2018
I worked in SAM(supervisory, administrative, management)

Low salary, low raises. Initial salary is based on your previous salary, not market rate of your position. They will ask you for your previous pay stubs. Benefits are top tier. Great work/life balance.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the workplace culture. It is very political.

I learned a great deal about SEPTA and its operations. It takes a great deal of resources and planning to run a multi modal transportation authority.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
low salary, very political
High paced, quick thinking, always o the move.
Bus Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 29, 2018
Day to day, getting the buses in and out of the shop in time manner, all work completed safe and correct. Seeing that the riders
are well taken care of.
Benefits
Cons
High stress
Work
Bus Driver for Routes in the Northeast (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 28, 2018
Good job with great pay and benefits. If your looking for a job and don;t mind not having a home life then this is it. Hours are all over the place and sometimes your family life suffers.
Pros
Money
Cons
Hours
Septa
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 24, 2018
Good place to work in terms of size because for many there is plenty of opportunity to move within the company. Healthcare costs are low for employees and there is a pension. No flex time and base vacation allowance is only 2 weeks and it takes many years to acquire additional time. Overall work rules are very conservative (i.e. no work from home option, etc.) and out of line with many modern companies. Ability to stockpile unused vacation days is limited so it's very difficult to "save" days for a planned long vacation. No paid maternity leave policy is in place. Employees have no options available to accrue extra time off or to convert unused sick time to vacation time. It's one size fits all. Technology is not a priority which many younger people or people coming from the private sector find frustrating.
Pros
Low health benefit costs, job security
Cons
Lagging on technology, top heavy, minimal autonomy
This is a great job
Maintenance Custodian/ Team lead (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 25, 2018
This organization comes with a lot of stress at times. Management isn’t really organized, but the benefits are wonderful. Our pay isn’t equal though the work we experience. But overall this is a good job.
Pros
Create your own salary
Cons
Lack of understanding problems from management.
I think Septa is a good company to work for.
Train Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 21, 2018
septa is a good company to work for. It has very good benefits and
pretty good job opportunity for advancement. Longevity is definitely at Septa.. I love working with the public and I met a lot of very nice people who were my passengers. Some passengers I still see and they still remember me.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
work hours can be brutal and very competitive
Productive and intense place to work.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Southeastern, PAApril 19, 2018
A typical day is showing up on time getting my route writing down my timed stops and schedule. I drove customers up and down my assigned route safely as well as write up reports at the end of my shift. I learned how to handle all kinds of people. Management was very concerned about the customers. The workplace culture was busy but good. The hardest part was the incidents that can and will occur while driving up and down the route. The most enjoyable was knowing that I got the customer to their connecting bus on time.
Pros
the money was good.
Cons
short breaks
Good pay
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 7, 2018
It can be a stressful work environment. Being a bus driver is not for everyone. You can not take the public personally when all they is to get to there destination on time
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad management
like helpimg people
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 26, 2018
stressful job, to many things that you dont have control over. there are no performance reviews, as you as you violate a rule its a discharable offense. fire first then go through union yto get your job back.
Pros
good money, benifits
Cons
por leadership
Nice
Driver (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 25, 2018
I drove patrons to and from appointments to and from shopping to and from entertainment help a system as needed wheelchair assistant also and help elderly get into the location of their desire

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SEPTA. Our community is ready to answer.