Sequel Youth and Family Services Employee Reviews

Company to Grow With
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  MaineJuly 17, 2018
I have worked at Sequel for almost 2 years, I have seen positive changes. The company does listen and makes changes where and when appropriate. The work can be challenging at times but is very rewarding. Someone is always there if you need help. They offer great training and career advancement if you put the hard work in,
Pros
Advancement, collaboration
Cons
Healthcare is Expensive for Families
Not the place to work
MHA (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 9, 2018
I worked at Sequel Pomegranate in Columbus Ohio, I didnt like how staff treated the youth, I didnt like the lack of respect the clinical team showed for staff. Favoritism is very noticeable, HR doesn't have time to speak with staff for HR issues. Director is not aware of what goes on with the facility. This place is not a good place to work, I advise anyone to not work here. RUN dont waste your time to apply
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No breaks, mandated every other day, little pay
Enriching job, nice staff
PSS and BHP (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, MEJuly 9, 2018
This was a good place to work. The staff was helpful, the clients were a pleasure to help, and I overall enjoyed my time here. There were chances to learn and grow, but there was also communication issues between the staff and managers. The pay is not competitive and there were no benefits offered. The traveling and wage security were my biggest issues, because as "In Home "services, if a client was sick, on vacation or otherwise unable to have you there...you did not get paid. All in home staff is paid "Per diem". Office staff is not.
Pros
Flexible hours, positive work and learning environment, caring staff
Cons
Pay not stable or competitive, no benefits, lots of traveling, communication issues and conflicts.
Awful place to work
Targeted Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLJuly 3, 2018
This company would be better if higher management cared about those below them and the people who actually put in a lot of work. They continuously want more and more but never want to give back or show appreciation to their employees. I enjoyed my job but the company is horrible. Not enough pay for what we do. You get burned out quickly. They discourage our supervisor from having a decent relationship with employees to promote a family atmosphere and treat some people unfairly. Don’t work here.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
A growing company with many opportunities for staff
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Yarmouth, MEJune 21, 2018
I’ve worked for SequelCare of Maine for 7 years and highly recommend this agency to anyone looking for a position in home or behavioral health. This agency has been in constant growth since I started, adding programs, giving me an unmatchable opportunity to build my skills and even learn new positions within 1 agency. Sequel’s also been flexible and family oriented, working with schedule changes I needed personally for my kids and grad school. The team is great about celebrating exciting family events like weddings and new babies and many staff get together outside work for coffee or other social activities. Lastly, Sequel provides strong clinical support to staff regardless of time of day so you’re never on your own without help only a call away while on shift. Whether you’re looking for a full-time role or a second job, this agency is one to seriously consider.
Pros
Flexibility, Internship Opportunities, Strong Clinical Support
harassment and hypocrisy
Remedial Treatment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Woodward, IAJune 21, 2018
If the constant stress of working with troubled youth does not beat you down, the mismanagement and blatant disregard for your mental and emotional well-being will. An average day working for Sequel involves helping children learn to be better young men and women and work past the mistakes in their lives, all while trying to navigate the politically toxic realm of management. This includes but is not limited to: harassing you with phone calls and texts to come in and work on your days off, guilt-tripping you into working for as long as 20 hours straight (my record was 33 1/2 hours in a single shift), scolding you for trying to help a troubled youth that does not involve screaming in their face and verbally threatening them, dealing with the hypocrisy of doing something that upper management does constantly (The most common are cursing, verbally threatening children, and physically restraining a student for questionable reasons, all will get you written up and disciplined but will go untouched when your directors do them), working with the blatant favoritism some employees have over others which will include having workloads dumped on you if you are not one of the "anointed ones", differing standards among employees including but not limited to day to day responsibilities and paperwork, and irrelevant and monotonous paperwork which will not be distributed among employees evenly (better hope you're a favorite). Best stay away if possible and only work here for college credits or to pad your resume for a job you will actually enjoy.
Pros
being a positive influence for troubled youth, free lunches, easy overtime shifts if needed
Cons
mismanagement, workplace harassment, employee favoritism, hypocrisy
Helpful for the kids
Direct care worker And a T 4C instructor (Former Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLJune 3, 2018
Helpful for the kids But staff is one way they do more if they know you you advance do not give out raises as deserved it’s self gratification because you know you’re helping the kids go to a different level than what they’re used you as a part of SQL you were able to engage with the kids one on one actually regular basis certain staff will prefer putting hands on kids then talking to them to help them through their problem and situation most kids are used to violence in the sept us to show them a different way but at certain times that was not performed in the way it was designed to work in nothing was done about it
Pros
Since of success for helping kids
Cons
Never get a raise
perfect
Psychotherapist and Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Courtland, ALMay 26, 2018
Days are busy and fulfilling! A very rewarding position. Wonderful people who are very open to teaching and answering all questions. I have learned so much in my short tenure.
Not a good place to work
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raiford, FLMay 22, 2018
The insurance is two deductible plans with one being higher than the other. Have to reach a deductible for both plans and that includes a Rx deductible. They offer no training. They say u get holidays but u actually work holidays (including Christmas day) but get to comp day the holiday. Meaning, u might be able to have the next day off, if your seasoned coworker hasn't already asked for it off. U have to work weekends as well. The job is very stressful. Staff calls in a lot. U will be used as a YWC and still be expected to have work done at the end of shift. Management tells lies. They make things up to cover themselves meaning, they will hang u if they have too. There's a rumor management is stealing money from the program and it shows through the lack of games, food, crafts and recreations the youth have. But it's still a rumors. The turn over is high. It's a 24 bed juvenile sex offense program. U have to do groups around school which ends at 12 but they eat lunch from 12-1.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Unhealthy environment
A lot work, but worth it.
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albion, MIApril 24, 2018
If you're willing to work many hours and you're invested in the kids you work with, you'll enjoy this job. Working with Juvenile youth is such a difficult task, but seeing them progress in their journey is worth it.

The turnover rate is higher than normal but the company appreciate those who stuck around and help with these kids. Many of the people I work with show a lot of enthusiasm and positive energy.

This job can consume a lot of your personal life. If you are unable to properly balance between Work Life and Personal Life, then that is something you should consider before working here.
Pros
Benefits, Fulfillment of working with youth, company likes to promote from within.
Cons
Hours can be demanding, Can be difficult to balance work life and personal life.
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 20, 2018
Good Job for anyone that’s good with teenagers. Got to have patience and be willing to take directive & also initiative, your here to be a counselor at the end of the day.
Stressful
Youth Specialist/counselor (Current Employee) –  Albion, MIApril 18, 2018
I do not agree with the overall structure of the facility. There are too many kids from too many backgrounds. example there are kids with no charges (foster kids) living with kids who have multiple severe charges. The kids also come from all across the country. This leads to good kids turning into troubled youth. The more aggressive kids get more power and become more aggressive. This leads to the staff having to physically manage the children, often resulting in multiple staff restraining one child on the ground.
Pros
Friendly staff
Not For Everyone
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Owens Cross Roads, ALApril 9, 2018
Working with the girls was fun and rewarding, but the structure left something to be desired. You are often asked to work double shifts (16 hours) and breaks are non-existent. If you ask for a break and are able to get one, it is 30 minutes tops. Even after repeatedly requesting help working with one specific group, I was often left alone with them, and even told it was my fault for not being able to keep them all in line. The girls are amazing, and it can be rewarding, but it is most definitely not for everyone.
Pros
Residents, free meals
Cons
No breaks, little to no support from admin
Don’t get caught up in the culture
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 9, 2018
Easy work with kids, don’t get caught up with politics or stuck in the student culture and you’ll be fine. Respect is everything in this line of work.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
No scheduled breaks
I hope they shut this place down!!!!
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLApril 5, 2018
This is one of the Worst places to work. I worked at the location in Pompano, Let me start by saying they have inner circles-If you are not part of that inner circle you can forget about being treated fair. The HR worker will short you of hours worked. The staff has abused children and Management will turn the blind eye If you are in the inner circle. You will work 16 hours with no notice and also no lunch break. Bottom line this place needs to be shut down.
Lack of response to Crisis
Overnight Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Clarinda, IAApril 2, 2018
Many times there would be no response from management when staff was assaulted on the job, training isn't focused on what you need for your specific job and is more geared towards day shift workers leaving the overnight workers to figure out how things work differently on their own.
Cons
No Breaks, High risk of Injury
"Thinking about a Job Here...THINK AGAIN!"
Staff (Former Employee) –  Prescott Valley, AZMarch 27, 2018
I worked at Sequel Youth & Family full-time and the best day was my last! The company is more dysfunctional than the clients they try to serve. They severely underpay their staff! The work load and expectations do not match the pay for the majority of the staff (even for the positions that require degrees). Administration continually changes rules, expectations, responsibilities and procedures without notice? High turnover among management resulting on procedures changing frequently, minimal support yet high demands for employees, inadequate training, extremely low pay for the responsibility you are given, no regular raises at all, expected to do extra tasks outside of your normal work, managed by fear, very stressful, confusing, poor communication, low morale, depressing place to work. long hours as company demands more and more of your time, emotionally demanding. Very poor insurance, insurance premiums are high with an extremely high deductible.
Pros
Helping the kids make better choices yet this can be found at other jobs.
Heed my warning!
Rather not say (Current Employee) –  Woodward, IAMarch 16, 2018
If you are interviewing for a position think twice! After being lead on for almost 2 months and losing other job opportunities I found out from a reliable source that someone was offered the position before it was posted. If you aren't part of their "Good ole boys" club you have absolutely no fair chance. I had several years experience in multiple areas in treatment and was passed over for a young college dropout with 2 years experience.
Pros
Working with the youth
Cons
Too many to list here! Just BEWARE......multiple red flags!
Overall lack of Management and lack accountability
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Florida State, FLMarch 5, 2018
The management do not back there employees and allow the inmates to get there way. The lack of structure and holding them accountable for there action no matter how small, they are in there for a reason . From breaking glass and causing floods in the class rooms. It amazing how they allow this to happen and have problems and still do not handle the problem inmate accountability. The pay is ridiculous for YCW‘s and other personnel the lack of respect and backing that these employees have is a polling to what you so-called stand for .

I would neaver recommend this company to work ever knowing that they buried the lowest to get their foot in the door in Florida is a palling to any personnel a few concerns me that with the parents are going to have to deal with sister children are being allowed to not be disciplined and they are going to end up being life time prisoners
Pros
Cons
Everything stay away
Fantastic place to work
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Siler City, NCFebruary 27, 2018
Great place to work with wonderful coworkers that care about you and step into help when needed!! More time off than in my 40 plus years of working for major retailers!!!
Pros
Awesome PTO, Holiday's, etc., free meals, great coworkers