Sequenom Employee Reviews

Struggling company
Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 18, 2018
severe financial conditions imposed unreasonable conditions on employees, making the company severely understaffed and employees overworked with insufficient resources.
Cons
extremely tight budgets and understaffing
A great outfit.
Cant Say (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 16, 2018
A lot of friendly, professional people on staff, in management and in executive. They might be in a tough business, but otherwise, its a great place to work.
Pros
Nice culture
Cons
Seems they are on a tight budget.
Fun atmosphere, but bad management
Quality Documentation Specialist II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 31, 2018
When I was working at Sequenom they tried to make the atmosphere fun and lively, which they did with a ping pong table and parties at the company. However in many departments the management was terrible and there was a lack of communication within departments. Example- I would work with the Senior Director on a project for months. We'd have weekly meetings that sometimes involved other department heads. After three months the project was brought to the Vice President of the department, who then said "That's not at all what we were asking for." this should've been communicated much earlier. Many hours were wasted on something that was not approved by the Vice President.
Pros
Parties
Cons
Bad management and communication
Great People
Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 27, 2017
People are very nice and collaborative. The company is under new ownership but is recouping very nicely. The company is working hard and successful at bring up morale. Some great perks for working under Lab Corp.
Enjoyed working at Sequenom
Global Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 5, 2017
Great people to work with and opportunity. Several lay offs as they postured for acquisition by Lab Corp. provided fair compensation and service during the RIF.
WAS a great place to work
Medical Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJanuary 13, 2016
Mostly good people to work with and the job was easy and not very stressful. It is a shame that the company is tanking due to poor upper management choices.
Predictable work and encouraging staff
Medical Technologist (ASCP) (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCAugust 4, 2015
I loved working for this company. The benefits and compensation were awesome. Would go back tomorrow if I could. Only left because of schedule issues
Be weary of the Accessioning Lab...
Specimen Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJuly 31, 2015
Sequenom, as a company, does great work. Small company doing wonderful work in prenatal and genetic testing. However..the accessioning lab is not so great. Management is horrible and inept. Very unorganized and employee moral is low. VERY HIGH TURNOVER RATE! In the first few weeks of my employment, 5 people quit. As far as the work, it was not difficult. It's mostly data entry, so having lab experience is not necessary. I don't know what the other departments are like at the RTP location, but I would caution those of you who apply for the SPT position. My opinion: don't do it!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Great Company with many perks and benefits
Credentialing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids MIJune 17, 2015
Very flexible work environment.
I learned a lot about laboratory compliance and credentialing ancillary facility/organizations with Medicare, Medicaid and Commercial Payors
Management team is excellent
Coworkers great
I cannot think of anything that I could deem "hard" about the job, I looked forward to working and never minded coming into the office
I enjoyed everything about the job
Pros
Free lunches, soft drinks, breakfast, snacks
Cons
No cons
A work oriented place and very subjective.
Material Handler II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 1, 2015
Has a great CLIA lab work process, good work place to work for, I've learned allot about time management. The management team are too objective to picking on internal personnel on a micro managing circumstances. I had great co-workers there when I was working there. The hardest thing of part of the job is that I was appointed to do someone else job other than my own. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I over came the logistics of the job after the guy who left the company and that I had to take over his place.
Pros
Very creative company has a great outlook forward on company long term objectives.
Cons
Management concentrates too much on things does not base on your objective
Dedicate group to work with
Materials Planner Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 10, 2014
Planned all raw materials to meet production schedule. Set up warehouse to improve inventory flow. Trained employees and wrote procedures fin order to receive FDA license.
Pros
Acheive alot in time I was there
Start up company
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  MorrisvilleDecember 4, 2013
I had high hopes for this company as I left another full time job for this position thinking that a start up comapany would offer room for advancement and a more personable culture however, that is not what happened. My co-workers were wonderful, I enjoyed the effort that everyone put in to make the day go by smoothly. I was stuck doing a high repetitive job and my success was at the hands of a misquided and clique like management team. I really tried to do my best for this company but they do not appreciate the talent they have there and instead to get ahead, you need to be best friends with your superiors. The lab workers were always blamed for things going wrong and there is no incentive to excel. I would highly suggest you take your skill set elsewhere.
Pros
New facility, free lunches
Cons
poor management, long hours with no breaks
Good place to work for
CLS II Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 12, 2013
Overall, Good company to work for, although the benefits aren't much, but insurance is okay. It has relax environment to be in, and the location is NICE.
Productive and Friendly environment
Information System Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 31, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a company full of friendly and enjoyable coworkers.
Pros
friendly people
Easy living, but risky
CLS (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2013
If you want to have easier working conditions, this company is definitely for you. This is my first molecular job and it was very impressive to see cutting-edge technology, compared to where I came from (LabCorp, INC.). Unfortunately, it is run by management that does not know how to do the test. This accounts for lots of confusion and mishandled progression. There seems to be a lot of meetings without real solutions, and a lot of wasted approved overtime. It was so bad when I first came here, that the norm was to work 6-7 days a week. Things have mellowed out a bit now. There was a recent lay-off, which didn't affect Laboratory Employees too much, but I feel that this may not be the last of it. There are waaaay too many supervisors, and too many CLS's employed by this company. I can easily see more people being let go. So consider this as you apply.
Pros
Young employees, new technology
Cons
Inexperienced managers, lack of leadership
Not a Good First Impression
CLS applicant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 25, 2013
I applied to a CLS position. I received an email requesting a telephone screening interview with an HR representative almost immediately.
My contact with this HR rep was extremely challenging as she was not knowledgeable and was very defensive. Most of my contact was spend "walking on eggshells" so as not to offend her but she seemed to be offended by everything. It was very disturbing. I was left with the impression that this is a very poorly managed company to allow this person to screen technical staff and provide a "first impression" to potential employees.
Pros
quick response to application
Cons
Very poor impression of company
Sr. Director, Diagnostics Operations (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2013
Sequenom designs, develops, manufactures and markets innovative technology, instrumentation and tests that target and serve discovery and clinical research, and clinical molecular diagnostics markets. Applications include translational research, oncology, agricultural genomics and in vitro diagnostics for prenatal and retinal disorders.
Having some growing pains
Scientist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2013
Sequenom seemed much more open and flexible when I was first hired. As the company has expanded from just under 200 to just under 600 employees things have gotten a bit more corporate and some of the old culture of Friday happy hours where you could sit and chat about projects in a relaxed atmosphere has gone away.

I still enjoy working here, I'd recommend it to anyone looking, but it's definitely not a small company environment any more :)
Fun, Innovative, Science Driven
Business Development Manager-RetnaGene (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 26, 2013
I love working for this company selling and education ophthalmologists about a novel genetic test. Love the people I work with, they are hardworking, smart, funny, and dedicated.
Pros
New technology
summary
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 1, 2013
low vacation accrual. management mostly male.
overall a good place to work.