Sequenom Employee Reviews

Poor culture, acquired by LabCorp
Marketing (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 29, 2018
Poor employee engagement, multiple budget cuts and downsizing prior to acquisition made the environment challenging prior to acquisition. Aside from most of executive team, associates were wonderful to work with! But that culture likely is irrelevant after LabCorp acquisition.
company hates people
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 8, 2018
no money, no advancement, no supervision, no guidance, no mentor ship programs, no hope to move up/forward, no reason to stay, look anywhere else first, management is terrible, upper management is pure garbage
Pros
parking is available
Cons
everything else
Struggling company
Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 18, 2018
severe financial conditions imposed unreasonable conditions on employees, making the company severely understaffed and employees overworked with insufficient resources.
Cons
extremely tight budgets and understaffing
A great outfit.
Cant Say (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 16, 2018
A lot of friendly, professional people on staff, in management and in executive. They might be in a tough business, but otherwise, its a great place to work.
Pros
Nice culture
Cons
Seems they are on a tight budget.
Fun atmosphere, but bad management
Quality Documentation Specialist II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 31, 2018
When I was working at Sequenom they tried to make the atmosphere fun and lively, which they did with a ping pong table and parties at the company. However in many departments the management was terrible and there was a lack of communication within departments. Example- I would work with the Senior Director on a project for months. We'd have weekly meetings that sometimes involved other department heads. After three months the project was brought to the Vice President of the department, who then said "That's not at all what we were asking for." this should've been communicated much earlier. Many hours were wasted on something that was not approved by the Vice President.
Pros
Parties
Cons
Bad management and communication
Great People
Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 27, 2017
People are very nice and collaborative. The company is under new ownership but is recouping very nicely. The company is working hard and successful at bring up morale. Some great perks for working under Lab Corp.
Overall good experience
Specimen Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 26, 2017
It's a quick paced environment in the lab, you learn a lot on the job. The hardest part of the job was not letting the enormous amounts of workplace drama negatively affect you. Although not perfect, this was a good company to work at, with good experience and many lessons to offer.
Buyout Left Me without Work
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 22, 2017
Buyout by LabCorp promised much and delivered only disappointment. Very few Reps were kept and LabCorp didn't value the company's unique attributes or employees.
Pros
Fantastic technology
Cons
Poor corporate management lead to terrible buyout and talent flight
Enjoyed working at Sequenom
Global Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 5, 2017
Great people to work with and opportunity. Several lay offs as they postured for acquisition by Lab Corp. provided fair compensation and service during the RIF.
Good people, worried upper management
Specimen Processing/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  San Diego California USAMay 1, 2017
The upper management was not very good about keeping their worries regarding the upwards mobility of the company quiet. A lot of people were afraid the company was going to go bankrupt which made motivating people to work hard within the company difficult
Great product and service for NIPT, best in class
Inside New Business Development (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 31, 2017
Amazing people to work with, cutting edge testing and customer service representation. They always allowed positive feedback to improve systems there.
Great place
Senior Case Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 10, 2016
I love working here and I am sad that I have to leave, but I need to be back in Colorado. Overall, a great company and I love the managment team and my coworkers. I also very much enjoy the independance to do my job.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, co-workers amazing
Cons
Poor decision making in executive managment
WAS a great place to work
Medical Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJanuary 13, 2016
Mostly good people to work with and the job was easy and not very stressful. It is a shame that the company is tanking due to poor upper management choices.
Exciting and Challenging
Lab Assistant II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2015
While working at Linens and Things I learned alot. This was a very big company. I learned about dishes, bediing, candles and alot more. I would deffinitly work here again, if the challenge was avalible. They management was nice and kind.
Predictable work and encouraging staff
Medical Technologist (ASCP) (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCAugust 4, 2015
I loved working for this company. The benefits and compensation were awesome. Would go back tomorrow if I could. Only left because of schedule issues
Be weary of the Accessioning Lab...
Specimen Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJuly 31, 2015
Sequenom, as a company, does great work. Small company doing wonderful work in prenatal and genetic testing. However..the accessioning lab is not so great. Management is horrible and inept. Very unorganized and employee moral is low. VERY HIGH TURNOVER RATE! In the first few weeks of my employment, 5 people quit. As far as the work, it was not difficult. It's mostly data entry, so having lab experience is not necessary. I don't know what the other departments are like at the RTP location, but I would caution those of you who apply for the SPT position. My opinion: don't do it!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Great Company with many perks and benefits
Credentialing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids MIJune 17, 2015
Very flexible work environment.
I learned a lot about laboratory compliance and credentialing ancillary facility/organizations with Medicare, Medicaid and Commercial Payors
Management team is excellent
Coworkers great
I cannot think of anything that I could deem "hard" about the job, I looked forward to working and never minded coming into the office
I enjoyed everything about the job
Pros
Free lunches, soft drinks, breakfast, snacks
Cons
No cons
Excellent workplace, flexible, great benefits
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 16, 2015
I've appreciated being employed at Sequenom since day one. Faced and conquered many new challenges, including piloting a department and being the entire department for the better part of 2 years. Have built strong relationships with co-workers and upper management and have solidified my career path in sales.
Pros
Excellent benefits, events, networking
Cons
Leadership could be less conservative
A work oriented place and very subjective.
Material Handler II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 1, 2015
Has a great CLIA lab work process, good work place to work for, I've learned allot about time management. The management team are too objective to picking on internal personnel on a micro managing circumstances. I had great co-workers there when I was working there. The hardest thing of part of the job is that I was appointed to do someone else job other than my own. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I over came the logistics of the job after the guy who left the company and that I had to take over his place.
Pros
Very creative company has a great outlook forward on company long term objectives.
Cons
Management concentrates too much on things does not base on your objective
Dedicate group to work with
Materials Planner Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 10, 2014
Planned all raw materials to meet production schedule. Set up warehouse to improve inventory flow. Trained employees and wrote procedures fin order to receive FDA license.
Pros
Acheive alot in time I was there