Serco logo

Serco Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

Found 27 reviews matching the search.See all 4,171 reviews

Serco insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Great way to learn about the city

I work on a parking enforcement contract. We write tickets for nonmoving violations. This job can be a fun way to learn the city, and you get to be around major events going on, but people also get pretty angry at us for what we do. We mostly work downtown or on the north side or near west sides. Sometimes we do special requests in various neighborhoods. They are flexible about days, but the hours will always be late, as late as 2am. Sometimes it feels like we are told things last minute, and I'd appreciate more protective equipment such as a bulletproof vest with some of the areas we work in late at night. You WILL hear gunshots in close proximity before long in this job. You WILL experience death threats.

Pros

Good people, good supervisors, hour lunch, get to learn the city

Cons

Work in all weather conditions, late hours, safety risks, lots of conflict

Horrible

One of the worst companies I ever worked for. Management is a mess. Everyone's condensing. I've gotten yelled at, followed and ASSAULTED. I had to call the police and make a report of someone trying to smash a beer bottle on my face. The manager, who then had to pick me up from my location, made it seem like calling the police wouldn't do anything and I shouldve just walked away.

Pros

Hour long paid lunches and stable work schedule

Cons

Being theeatend, followed, harrassed, working outside in ALL kinds of horrible hot weather, walking for 8 hours a day for 5 days really hurts.

Nothing much to say, Its a job

working conditions are bad. Company does not care about the pandemic. They cram everyone in a van to ship us out to our route. Since everything is closed, there is no place to take lunch break or use the restroom. If we don't get a citation in more than 20 minutes they start complaining. The pay is low, benefits are Terrible. If the citt of chicago do not like our work ethic we are disposed of like nothing.

Pros

steady 40 hours of work

Cons

low pay, no advancement or raises

Horrible place to work

Serco can be a decent job if you liking working outside in all weather type. The upper management is horrible. Too much favoritisms and the head manager allowed it. No need to discuss anything with the head manager cause he let his assistant and his assistant daughter tell him what to do. The hours are horrible 6 at night to 2 in the morning and all they care about is a high ticket count. The pay is extremely low for the work. It suppose to be training provided by the assistant daughter but all she does is sit in a dark room and all the phone the entire time, no learning is taking place.

Pros

Outside freedom

Cons

Upper management, favoritisms, low pay and weather conditions

Interesting workplace

A very interesting job. You have lots of freedom in the field to succeed or not as a supervisor. It's too much favoritism among some supervisors and management.

Pros

Freedom and self sufficient work place

Cons

mirco management

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

good job

easy work but working with general public giving out tickets can be a bit dangerous,working until 2am, you sometimes team up with another partner until you guys complete goal,management made it easy to come and ask questions,the work place culture was mainly friendly caring and understanding

Bad place

Not good company does not value the hard work you put into the company. I was there best employee the last 6 months I was there. I was always in 1st place but because I was out working managements daughters boyfriend that I trained and they made supervisor they got rid of me.

horrible

horrible company little pay they don't care about their employees the management suck and the work hours are late in extreme weather conditions all they care about is their ticket counts

its an ok job if you like to be productive and make a little extra income

Basically you learn your way around the city. Able to meet and see things everyday. If you are strong minded and can ignore immature foolishness than this is the job for you.

Pros

You learn alot about the city and random events

Cons

you have to work in extreme weather conditions (rain, snow, heat).

Solidly Run Company!

Very professional culture and top notch resources are available to all employees. Company embraces diversity and actively promotes engagement. Overall a positive exp.

Jobs at Serco

in Chicago, IL
See more jobs

Fun work place

A good job,would recommend to any young adult for a first time job or maybe a second job.Serco would been a great job for anyone who like to get out and enjoys long walks and making money of course. The places is full of positive and helpful people.The most hardest part on the job is the anger patrons.

Pros

Good exercise

Cons

Crazy patrons

Very knowledgeable

Very knowledgeable acquired much knowledge that led me to the understanding of city ordinance city laws in various and things about the city and also Hyten my navigation skills of the city I live in

Pros

Learned a skill

Cons

Training should be longer

Fun workplace with horrible pay

A typical day at work is we have to be there by 5:30pm and we don't finish until 2am. We first gather together as a group at our home base, collect our equipment, put on our vests, and we head out to the city and write tickets.

very interesting place to work

I wrote parking ticket violations on parked vehicles and what I love about the job was that I got a chance to explore my city of Chicago places I never been to in my city

Pros

love walking around

Cons

people getting upset about parking tickets

Unprofessional

Do not respect each others as employees, no respect from your superiors and very unprofessional. Do not pay enough for all the revenue being produce for the company.

Typical day at work: Get dropped off at your assigned zone. Patrol the whole zone looking for parking violations. After covering that zone, start making your way to your next assigned zone and patrol that zone before its time to meet up with your assigned partner for the night. After meeting up with your partner, you can either take a short break for approximately 30 minutes. Maybe 45 minutes but that depends on the amount of tickets you've issued before meeting your partner or you can choose which of the 2 of the 4 zones you both will patrol together before taking your break. But you both must come to an agreement. What I learned: I've learned that its a pretty easy job. If you don't mind a lot of walking. Management: No comment. Co-workers: My co-workers was pretty cool. As long as you just go there, clock in, focus more on your job and your money than anything else, things will go smooth. The hardest part of the job: Personally, the hardest part about the job was getting a lot of tickets. Especially in zones where there aren't many violations and a lot of open space. The most enjoyable part of the job: Being able to get along with your partner and supervisor while being safe from a low ticket count. Also, having a smooth day, no trash talk from people you giving tickets to, proving the people wrong.

Cons

Short breaks, long walks

Fun working enviroment

I enjoy the job that I do, I am able to navigate through a sometimes hostile working environment with the general public. I work a pretty cool schedule so therefore I am very attentive during my shift and able to issue citations accordingly. I love this job wouldn't change it.

Pros

Working by yourself, Shows me how to reason and deal with the general public

Cons

Pay

good place to get your feet off the ground

a typical day at work is easy going but very long. This job helped me learn a lot about the different areas and neighborhoods of Chicago and also maintain professionalism at all times. The management here is mediocre on a scale of 1-10 they get a 7. Most of the co-workers here are professional and easy to get along with,the hardest part of the job is dealing with the angry people everyday the most enjoyable part of the job is working in different beautiful parts of Chicago.

Fairly productive work envirment

1. A typical day would be walking up and down streets enforcing city parking laws, codes and regulations. 2. What I've learned is that its best to use public transportation, rather than your car to avoid the strict parking laws, codes and regulations of the city of Chicago. 3. Management were professional, and also applauded me for meeting my daily citation quotas. 4. Some of the co-workers were professional, some not so professional; but it never affected me from being able to complete my tasks. 5. Hardest part of the job i would say, walking long distances for many hours. 6. Most enjoyable, being able to enjoy the city of Chicago, and interacting with many different people everyday.

Pros

Traveling around the city meeting new people.

Cons

The work shifts

Lacked concern for employee safety and bad management.

issuing citations for parking violations on a day-to-day basis, management was barely ever on the same page when it came to certain situations co-workers varied from whomever you had to deal with on a day-to-day basis hardest part would have been dealing with angry pedestrians.

Great atmosphere

This job requires you to walk three miles or more each day scheduled. You learn how to correctly issue parking and registration violations.

Pros

Outside

Cons

Required to walk the 8hr shift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serco. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.1K
1.2K

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Serco.
Powered byComparably