Serco Employee Reviews for Career Counselor

Found 24 reviews matching the search See all 3,164 reviews
Little to no training but held to high impossible standards
Youth Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  Sinton, TXMarch 3, 2018
I had very little training and felt very incompetent. Took over cases from two different locations and expected to repair mistakes and take the consequences for those mistakes made by previous caseworker. One office had a no management on location and the other had a manager who had been there 15+ years and was allowed to violate rules and company standards with no consequences.
Pros
Nice Christmas bonus
Cons
expected to be hard with no compassion
Not what you think...
Career Transition Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXMarch 3, 2018
Poor management and you are required to have a master's degree. My 25 year old with no degree could have performed these duties. I would not recommend this job.
Great Place to work
Career and Alumni Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKJanuary 1, 2018
Working with the military was rewarding. The people were great, both co-workers and the service members we were helping. Great Supervisor. Making a difference for those leaving the military and helping them find new careers was very satisfying.
Pros
the people & the work
Serco Reiview
Career Counselor (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 23, 2017
Objectives are compatible with job description. Work conducive with an independent learner. Needs continuity of work performed. Line managers training and increased knowledge of SERCO objectives and outcomes.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Day to Day work scheduled
CAREER COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Ft. Bliss, TXJuly 24, 2017
Check work schedule , make all bench marks are documented. Check emails from Management and Clients.check client list and answer emails. Document IC'S and Capstones. Help out on front desk.
Pros
Good Management, Team work
Cons
health insurance.
Pay us what we're worth
Career Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYJune 12, 2017
SERCO Inc. sucks....don't do it. They pay their Master Degree holders under $35K/ year and there is no room for advancement. We earn vacation at 3.08 hrs/ pay period and sick time at 1.54 hrs/ pay period.This is madness!! No upward mobility opportunities and the only people being compensated decently are the VA employees.
Great Company
CAREER COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYJune 6, 2017
Great Company. Pleasure to be a part of the team. The work is constant and keeps you busy. Fun employees and staff. The pay is a little low and could be improved.
Cons
Salary is a little low
Career Counselor at SFL-TAP
Career Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAMay 5, 2017
We are overworked, overstressed, underpaid, and under valued. I have over 1200 clients on my case load. Management expects 3 employees to do all the work and allows other employees to show up when they want and not pitch in. This might be the worst job I have ever had and I picked blueberries in 100 degree weather during High School. Don't work for this company!
Pros
Healthcare Insurance is good
Cons
Overworked, overstressed, underpaid, and under valued
Overworked and underpaid
Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAMay 4, 2017
The best part of the job was helping the soldier prepare for their transition. The worst part was the management, work environment and pay. The job requires a Masters, yet pays to the equivalent of a Bachelor's degree. Due to the lack of staff, people had to hold their own weight, plus others at the same time. Because of this, it was also difficult to request any time off or have a flexible schedule. Management did not seem to genuinely care about their employees and did not step in to help when needed. You barely had any time to get up and go to the bathroom in between appointments.
Pros
helping soldiers, networking
Cons
underpaid, poor management, no room for growth and overworked
Low pay for education requirement.
Army Career and Alumni Program Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GAMay 4, 2017
The work was easy, but for the education requirement the pay is low. Felt as though if pay was more than would stay also a lot of changes occur from higher up management.
Cons
Low pay
Great Opportunities
Liaison Officer/Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXMarch 14, 2017
Fast pace and allowed employees to enhance their skills. Management is great and understanding and provided great insight to your development. Furthermore, the your co-workers where awesome and provided great response to all that was needed to take place.
Pros
Great co-workers and management
Cons
Pay
Workplace
Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYJanuary 7, 2017
Serco in collaboration with SFL-TAP on Fort Drum, the company was great to work for but some of the staff member were not as pleasant. Some staff members did not have the personality to work well with others or were acceptable to change.
Productive workplace with that assist soldiers in their transition.
Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYOctober 25, 2016
Passionate and well-qualified Professional Career Counselor experienced in briefing and counseling Soldiers in all stages of their transition. Excels in implementing professional development plans for transitioning Soldiers who aim to enter the workforce upon separation. Adept at coaching Soldiers through roadblocks in their transition identifying opportunities for training and professional development.
Career and Transition Counselor
Army Career and Alumni Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  McChord AFB, WASeptember 26, 2016
This was a great job. Though, there wasn't much compensation, the atmosphere was amazing and it felt great to help our military service members.
unstable
Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXSeptember 12, 2016
constant potential change in the company contract, had to use personal computer, the pay is the worst part the cleaning service in the building and some part time employees made more than the full time counselors with masters degrees
Productive and enjoyable work environment.
Career Counselor & Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAAugust 24, 2016
Although I have worked at the Fort Irwin SFL-TAP site I enjoy my coworkers. There is no drama. We all get along well. I have learned many new aspects of the program. The most enjoyable part of my job is working directly with my clients. Even though it's my job to help them through the transition process I often learn from them.
Dysfunctional Workplace
Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJune 22, 2016
Thee best part of the job is working with the service members. Managers are micro-manged and therefore micro-manage staff. Salary is far below standard for the job and wage is increases are very minimal. There is no advancement or incentives for what the company lacks. Not all coworkers are friendly some make it difficult to build a team environment. No professionalism.
Pros
working with service members
Cons
minimal salary, no incentives, no advancement, unprofessional and micromanaged
Awesome Place to work.
Career Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYOctober 16, 2015
Love my job. Excellent place to work, my coworkers and my boss were fantastic. I really enjoyed working there. I would recommend anyone who is interested in helping others and working with military to work at Serco.
Avoid at all costs
Career Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYAugust 18, 2015
I worked for this company for approximately 3 months. The work is boring and tedious, and compensation - especially for a job that requires an MA, is horrible - approximately 32k a year.

Vacation and sick time are accrued at the rate of 3.09 hours per pay period, well below the 4 hours per pay period that most companies offer....

Although this job reportedly is all about the soldiers, its actually about the NU<BER of soldiers that can be pushed through the program.

There is little to no advancement at this position, and the supervisor is a troll.

Everything is done online...there are no humans to speak with, and calling individuals is discouraged.
Pros
nothing
Cons
see my post
Challenging but rewarding environment with great comradery
Career Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAJuly 13, 2015
In a typical day, Career Counselors would assist about 30 Service Members transitioning out of the military a day. We conduct small group briefings three days a week and two one week long seminars of 50 or more people. I was able to hone my presentation and interpersonal communication skills while in this position. We helped review resumes and set up several work shops that allowed Service Members to be informed on the opportunities that await them after their tour of duty is complete. My management worked well with Government Point of Contact. However, there is room for improvement when it comes to communication. The hardest part of the job was being understaffed with a high volume of clients. But it allowed me and my co-workers to work efficiently as a team. It also helped me improve my time management and organizational skills. While understaffed, our team was able to consistently meet and exceed the customers expectations. We also received the distinguished site award three times in the 12 months for this region. Although this job was challenging, the most enjoyable part of this job was being able to assist soon to be Veterans establish a smooth transition into the civilian sector.
Pros
Great satisfaction from serving members of the Armed Forces.
Cons
Low amount of leave, employees not allowed to use leave w/o pay, this position requires a M.A. degree but pays 30, 000

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serco. Our community is ready to answer.

41K

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight