Serious Pizza

Working at Serious Pizza: 8 Reviews

United States8 reviews

Great staff, good job, terrible building

Some of the best folks I've ever worked with, bar none; they keep the energy high even when the shifts run until 6am. The work is sometimes challenging, but always rewarding, and the dough and ingredients are high enough in quality to stand behind as a pie chef. The building itself has deteriorated over the years into a pretty sad state (go into the Google/Yelp reviews, ctrl+F, type "bathroom", and let the results speak for themselves), but ownership has recently changed hands, and the new owners are using this period of COVID shutdown to fully renovate and refurbish. Whether I return to the team or not when it reopens, I look forward to seeing this new and improved Serious, and 100% recommend applying here if you're of a mind to put in hard work and make great food with great people.

Pros

High energy, fun environment, free food, Deep Ellum location

Cons

No health benefits, middling pay, VERY late hours

I needed the money so I was willing to put up with anything

I worked at serious pizza fort worth since the beginning of that franchise starting. I can tell you that my experience was overwhelmingly negative. I was not being paid enough for my time, I was only making $10 an hour despite doing multiple jobs at once despite what was originally agreed, upon, whenever I was working there. I had multiple issues with management, I would be doing one task and because they were very uncoordinated with each other, I would be asked to do another and therefore, got in trouble from both ends. There was zero communication regarding scheduling and not very much regard for your time. Your schedule would change every weekend, And for the most part, it's stayed consistent, but Sometimes they're wasn't any consistency and it wasn't very helpful for my work/life balance. Sometimes I would work over 24 hours in the span of two days due to how exposed I was I quickly got very sick, very fast from that area because they did not require customers to wear masks. Often times customers were allowed to come in five minutes before closing you'd have to stay until they left. They were also all out very disrespectful to staff. The company has zero benefits such as health care and sick days off as well as vacation days, you only get two on the contract and practically have to fight for time off with coworkers.

Pros

Good coworkers Tips

Cons

No breaks Rude customers Uncoordinated management Low pay Long hours No transparency with tipping

Serious Pizza insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks

Good tip out if you can stand being beanded cattle for the company

If you dont mind working for extremely incompetant and petty management this job will be fine. If you however have a specific availability or maybe don't like being burned repeatly while being physically threatened by your customer base while management looks on impotently then you would do best to look elsewhere. The experience of working with a company that is going out of its way to gentrification and monopolize a historic neighborhood was as bad (and locally villified) as you would expect. The tip out would be fine if they allowed transparency or at least didn't lose them. But that might be excusable were the hourly pay something that was proportional to the businesses income and were the checks you receive from them actually cashable.

Pros

Tip out is good

Cons

No benefits, incompetant management, boys club enviornment, violations of flsa/nlra/basic decency

Poorly managed, poor pay, spiteful management

They refuse to acknowledge that people have lives outside of work. If you can’t work sundays because you have custody of your child, they won’t hire you because management “needs only loyal employees”. They treat their employees poorly, knowingly paying them less then they deserve for their hours. If you work 41 hours, they’ll make you clock out but still stay and work because they’ll pay your overtime in cash- but don’t count on that being full overtime pay. Their working conditions also are poor. You’ll be working next to 600° ovens constantly with no training, so when you get burned it’s your fault for “wanting a job at Serious”. Milkshake concepts is a million dollar company who wants to monopolize Deep Ellum, but not take care of the people who are working the ground. But that’s okay as long as the investors can play their really bad 2hr long playlist nonstop for 20hrs straight.

Pros

If you get a nice manager on shift maybe you can get a free slice of pizza while you work

Cons

Everything else is awful

Opening the shop consisted of turning on ovens in the morning. Counting my tills for the day. Making sure everything is working properly. I learned how to toss pizzas. The environment was great everybody worked as a team especially for it being fast paced. Most enjoyable part was making the pizza and seeing the customers love the product that we put out

Over great interview

It was a great place to work very diverse and cultured, great atmosphere and the team we built there was solid by the time I left there. It was a great novelty in Dallas to have the giant pizzas and it felt good to relieve some of the workload off the owners.

It is fairly decent.

I do think that the restaurant is a decent franchise and it is actually a pretty good place to work at. It is actually located in a place called Deep Ellum, Tx. It is quite the historical district.

Pros

free slice of pizza

Cons

short breaks

I was the GM and left because it was time.

Ultimately I’d learned and done everything i could do for the company so i needed to move on in order to promote self growth. I was able to learn a considerable amount about life and management while working at the establishment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serious Pizza. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits