Sertoma Centre Employee Reviews

no review
HOUSE MANAGER & CILA HOME SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Alsip, ILMarch 18, 2019
I do not have anything to say about this company other than I would never work for them again. I did not agree with the policies and procedures that were in place for staff. the pay was poor.
not an ideal place to work
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Alsip, ILMarch 8, 2019
No management skills
You have to be part of the"in crowd",or you don't matter.
More than qualified for promotion to transportation coordinator.Wasn't given an interview for the promotion.Of all the candidates only 2 were given interviews.They already had their minds made up of who was getting the transportation coordinator position
Pros
friends
Cons
part time, lack of respect foe theit employees, transpotation manager dint know his job and had to rely on the assistant manager
Nice place to work
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2019
I worked at Sertoma for a few years as a janitor I enjoyed working there during this time. The staff was friendly and welcoming. It's a nice place to work.
Worst Facility I've Ever Worked (Sertoma Center)
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 7, 2019
I would never recommend anyone working there. It's very cut throat. They forged paperwork to prevent employees to receive a raise. The management was rude. My experience with them was HORRIBLE.
Pros
Can work as many hours as you want.
Cons
Poor Management
Fast pace and 80 percent of work is done outside the office
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILJuly 8, 2018
The day began at 7:30am and task could be given as early as 8:00am or meetings that would last no later than 10:00. The rest of the day would be in the field with assisting clients with various task. After the day was completed around 4:00pm I would complete paperwork witch would last approximately 2 hours.
Pros
Fast pace days
Cons
Had to complete paperwork after normal business hours
Never work here!
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 8, 2018
The management is HORRIBLE. They do not properly train you and will write you up even when you are not at fault. They do not give you the proper help and have horrible communication. I was overworked and they did not seem to care. They show favoritism and have no respect for those who truly enjoy the clients and care for them. It was the worst work experience of my life due to management. I would never recommend working there.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Poor management. No respect to clients or employees
Clm (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 6, 2018
Management favors others. Management will tell house management to put other employees in check some are very rude to clients I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone.They don’t work with you. It’s full of drama. If your not in the circle they talk about you. They threaten you and make you feel like your lower than dirt and that your replaceable. Worst job I ever had except for the clients.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Everything else poor management they are rude to clients
Terrible
Intern (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILMay 23, 2018
Just don't work here. It's not like how the description or many of the other reviews are saying. Clients aren't treated properly. The management have their picks of employees who they care about more than others.
Pros
Cons
Too many to name
Qmhp
QMHP (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILApril 19, 2018
Great department. Great team work culture; job is flexible; a lot of learning and development opportunities. I liked my supervisor and team and I like to see my clients be successful. Room for advancement.
Pros
A lot of paid time off between PTO and Holidays; also flexible hours
Cons
No short term disability
very rewarding
Rehabilitation Technician/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alsip, ILApril 17, 2018
This field is not for everyone, but the reward of working with people with disabilities and being able to impact their lives breathe taking. However the pay wasn't rewarding.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
Not enough money
DSP loves the individuals, but it's hard to care for them with poor management.
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 2, 2018
Sertoma is a place, where the management believes the company has high standards and is the best place in Knoxville to work. It of course has potential, but it definitely shouldn't be placed on a pedestal. The communication is terrible. The staff gets blamed for things, but no one holds management accountable for their many mistakes and shortcomings. They say that everyone is here to support the needs of the individuals, but at the end of the day, there needs are last. The pay is low & they'll give anybody on the street a job. They claim to have standards when it comes to hiring staff, but everybody in Knoxville has worked for this company one time or another, and that's the real reason why they are so short staff now as we speak. They should really clean house & start fresh. Again, Sertoma has great potential, but management needs to realize that Sertoma has many flaws & until they can see that, it want get better. A very stressful place to work & they have the nerve to start at $8.00 for all the hard work DSP does. They really don't appreciate staff like they claim they do, their just looking for more hires to fill shifts, so the head leaders in the office don't have to. Everyone is stressed & overworked.
Pros
At times, it can feel like a family setting
Cons
Most days it doesn't.
Sertoma is a great place to work at.
H.R. Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alsip, ILMarch 17, 2018
My typical day consists of answering phones
I was able to take various classes.
Management was good.
Sertoma is a much family oriented enviornment
Pros
if you ever needed a question answered someone was always there.
Don’t do it!
QMHP (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILMarch 17, 2018
Do not apply here!!!! Can’t get much worst than cmhc! There is a high turnover here for a reason!!! Dysfunctional, drama filled, unprofessional and catty!
Quantity vs. Quality
Qualified Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILFebruary 28, 2018
Each day was atypical, which was nice; however, near the end of my career at this company, revenue seemed to be more important than consumers well-being, as they were trying to expand rapidly without enough staff.
Fulfilling and tough at same time
Special Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Alsip, ILFebruary 26, 2018
It's great working at a place where so many people care about the consumers and their welfare. Our DSPs are phenomenal and put their heart into their jobs. The only downfall is having a lower salary. Since we are a nonprofit it is difficult to pay people what they are worth.
Pros
Caring environment
Cons
lower pay
Would not recommend.
Previous Experience (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 22, 2018
The pay is low for the work you have to do. The management has poor communication. The turn a blind eye to mistreatment of the individuals by staff. Day services is a joke. The individuals have no rights or choices as to what they want to do. Several staff have been disrespectful to the individuals and curse at them. I would never put my family in a Sertoma home or Sertoma Services.
Great People--Great Services
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Alsip, ILFebruary 20, 2018
The people at Sertoma are great to work with and committed to providing the best consumer services. Programs are always looking at ways to diversify and make current programs better.

While the work is challenging at times, we still make time to have fun.
Pros
Fun activities, friendly people, pro-active staff.
Meaningful work with great staff
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Alsip, ILFebruary 16, 2018
I am currently employed with Sertoma. Sertoma is a good stable agency with great long term staff, and meaningful work with consumers. Pros: Staff are dedicated to the mission and philosophy of the agency. Staff have been here for a long time, some upwards of 35 years. The staff genuinely care about the consumers and have their best interest at heart. Good supervisors and directors. The Cons: Sometimes there is no communication between departments which creates a stressful work enviornment. Overall this is a good company to work for.
Strong mission and supportive family of staff, donors, volunteers, families
Director of Development (Current Employee) –  4343 West 123rd St, Alsip, IL 60803February 14, 2018
Sertoma Centre has a strong mission to assist people with disabilities in living self-sufficient lives as contributing members of their communities. The mission is very evident in the culture of the organization as all work collaboratively with a large group of volunteers, donors, staff and family members. All share a strong commitment to helping those served to help themselves and live self-sufficient lives. It is just a great place to work, and at the end of the day you feel you have really done something that has a tremendous amount of value and purpose.
Pros
Hours, dedicated staff, good benefits.
Sertmona is a good company
Service Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Alsip, ILFebruary 14, 2018
Large organization with multiple departments. Room to develop and grow; internal transfer opportunities and internal promotion opportunities. Great culture of team work. Good feeling to work with individuals to strengthen their independence and help them in a community setting.
Pros
Casual work environment
Cons
Can be challenging at times but this is when you learn the most

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sertoma Centre. Our community is ready to answer.