Sertoma Centre Employee Reviews

Never work here!
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 8, 2018
The management is HORRIBLE. They do not properly train you and will write you up even when you are not at fault. They do not give you the proper help and have horrible communication. I was overworked and they did not seem to care. They show favoritism and have no respect for those who truly enjoy the clients and care for them. It was the worst work experience of my life due to management. I would never recommend working there.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Poor management. No respect to clients or employees
Clm (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 6, 2018
Management favors others. Management will tell house management to put other employees in check some are very rude to clients I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone.They don’t work with you. It’s full of drama. If your not in the circle they talk about you. They threaten you and make you feel like your lower than dirt and that your replaceable. Worst job I ever had except for the clients.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Everything else poor management they are rude to clients
Terrible
Intern (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILMay 23, 2018
Just don't work here. It's not like how the description or many of the other reviews are saying. Clients aren't treated properly. The management have their picks of employees who they care about more than others.
Pros
Cons
Too many to name
Qmhp
QMHP (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILApril 19, 2018
Great department. Great team work culture; job is flexible; a lot of learning and development opportunities. I liked my supervisor and team and I like to see my clients be successful. Room for advancement.
Pros
A lot of paid time off between PTO and Holidays; also flexible hours
Cons
No short term disability
very rewarding
Rehabilitation Technician/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alsip, ILApril 17, 2018
This field is not for everyone, but the reward of working with people with disabilities and being able to impact their lives breathe taking. However the pay wasn't rewarding.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
Not enough money
DSP loves the individuals, but it's hard to care for them with poor management.
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 2, 2018
Sertoma is a place, where the management believes the company has high standards and is the best place in Knoxville to work. It of course has potential, but it definitely shouldn't be placed on a pedestal. The communication is terrible. The staff gets blamed for things, but no one holds management accountable for their many mistakes and shortcomings. They say that everyone is here to support the needs of the individuals, but at the end of the day, there needs are last. The pay is low & they'll give anybody on the street a job. They claim to have standards when it comes to hiring staff, but everybody in Knoxville has worked for this company one time or another, and that's the real reason why they are so short staff now as we speak. They should really clean house & start fresh. Again, Sertoma has great potential, but management needs to realize that Sertoma has many flaws & until they can see that, it want get better. A very stressful place to work & they have the nerve to start at $8.00 for all the hard work DSP does. They really don't appreciate staff like they claim they do, their just looking for more hires to fill shifts, so the head leaders in the office don't have to. Everyone is stressed & overworked.
Pros
At times, it can feel like a family setting
Cons
Most days it doesn't.
Sertoma is a great place to work at.
H.R. Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alsip, ILMarch 17, 2018
My typical day consists of answering phones
I was able to take various classes.
Management was good.
Sertoma is a much family oriented enviornment
Pros
if you ever needed a question answered someone was always there.
Don’t do it!
QMHP (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILMarch 17, 2018
Do not apply here!!!! Can’t get much worst than cmhc! There is a high turnover here for a reason!!! Dysfunctional, drama filled, unprofessional and catty!
Quantity vs. Quality
Qualified Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILFebruary 28, 2018
Each day was atypical, which was nice; however, near the end of my career at this company, revenue seemed to be more important than consumers well-being, as they were trying to expand rapidly without enough staff.
Fulfilling and tough at same time
Special Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Alsip, ILFebruary 26, 2018
It's great working at a place where so many people care about the consumers and their welfare. Our DSPs are phenomenal and put their heart into their jobs. The only downfall is having a lower salary. Since we are a nonprofit it is difficult to pay people what they are worth.
Pros
Caring environment
Cons
lower pay
Would not recommend.
Previous Experience (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 22, 2018
The pay is low for the work you have to do. The management has poor communication. The turn a blind eye to mistreatment of the individuals by staff. Day services is a joke. The individuals have no rights or choices as to what they want to do. Several staff have been disrespectful to the individuals and curse at them. I would never put my family in a Sertoma home or Sertoma Services.
Great People--Great Services
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Alsip, ILFebruary 20, 2018
The people at Sertoma are great to work with and committed to providing the best consumer services. Programs are always looking at ways to diversify and make current programs better.

While the work is challenging at times, we still make time to have fun.
Pros
Fun activities, friendly people, pro-active staff.
Meaningful work with great staff
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Alsip, ILFebruary 16, 2018
I am currently employed with Sertoma. Sertoma is a good stable agency with great long term staff, and meaningful work with consumers. Pros: Staff are dedicated to the mission and philosophy of the agency. Staff have been here for a long time, some upwards of 35 years. The staff genuinely care about the consumers and have their best interest at heart. Good supervisors and directors. The Cons: Sometimes there is no communication between departments which creates a stressful work enviornment. Overall this is a good company to work for.
Strong mission and supportive family of staff, donors, volunteers, families
Director of Development (Current Employee) –  4343 West 123rd St, Alsip, IL 60803February 14, 2018
Sertoma Centre has a strong mission to assist people with disabilities in living self-sufficient lives as contributing members of their communities. The mission is very evident in the culture of the organization as all work collaboratively with a large group of volunteers, donors, staff and family members. All share a strong commitment to helping those served to help themselves and live self-sufficient lives. It is just a great place to work, and at the end of the day you feel you have really done something that has a tremendous amount of value and purpose.
Pros
Hours, dedicated staff, good benefits.
Sertmona is a good company
Service Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Alsip, ILFebruary 14, 2018
Large organization with multiple departments. Room to develop and grow; internal transfer opportunities and internal promotion opportunities. Great culture of team work. Good feeling to work with individuals to strengthen their independence and help them in a community setting.
Pros
Casual work environment
Cons
Can be challenging at times but this is when you learn the most
Great agency to work for. Offers flexibility and encourages growth.
Programming staff (Current Employee) –  Alsip, ILFebruary 13, 2018
Great place to work with others who share passion for our agency's mission. I have learned a lot from co workers and mentors.
I feel I can freely share my ideas with program leadership at the agency.
Staff is invested in serving our consumers and dedicated to continued growth.
Pros
Flexible schedule
ok
F/T Clinical nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 2, 2018
I liked working with individuals with developmental disabilities. It was my first time working with this population of people and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Alsip, ILJanuary 3, 2018
I work as a DSP and I enjoy assisting individuals achieve success. It is a great feeling to help others. The consumers are friendly and have unique personalities. They enjoy interacting with staff and the staff enjoy them. They brighten your day.
Pros
Casual work environment.
Cons
Every once in a while things can get intense.
Decent Place to Gain Experience in the Mental Health Field
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILDecember 20, 2017
All weekends off and a great work schedule. Competitive wages for a non profit. All of the supervisors are very informative. I have leaned a lot about working with the MI population.
Pros
Higher paid than other companies, great work hours
Cons
Can be stressful career without proper self care
Do not apply at sertoma!
A Discruntle Employee (Former Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 4, 2017
Sertoma Centre provides positions that are underpaid! The Mangement Team lack integrity, tact, education and skill. This is an environment where everyone is looking for someone to blame. There is ZERO accountability within the entire organization. The CEO has NO Idea what goes on in the company! Save yourself the stress and do not step foot in any Sertoma facility!
Pros
Unconcerned Supervisors
Cons
Unconcerned Supervisors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sertoma Centre. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about