Service Alternatives, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great company to work for!
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAAugust 7, 2018
I love working at Service Alternatives. I've had jobs that paid more, but those people didn't care about me. My current supervisor is supportive and understanding. She knows my family comes first and that means a lot to me. My schedule is flexible, pay is decent, I don't utilize benefits.
When it came time to make a choice between money and happiness it was easy for me. I make enough to manage and my work life balance is amazing. I don't take work home, I am not stressed.
I have been with Service Alternatives for 6 years and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. The values the company upholds are shown throughout each day.
Pros
Flexible schedule, compassionate leadership, paid time off
Disgrace to Non Profit Organizations
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMay 10, 2018
Stressful environment with many demands. Management is lacking and covering up the misspending of grants and funding. A typical day consists of managing a caseload, emergency/crisis situations, exposure to illegal drugs, mandatory meetings, and maybe a 5 minute break for lunch.
tough work, difficult and stressful work life
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAFebruary 22, 2018
worked with kids with disabilities.

Very stressful, lack of good management, hours were unpredictable, not sure of where and when contracts would develop.
Pros
good to work with kids in need
Cons
unpredictable hours, bad mgmt, contracting inconsistency and planning for staff hours not good.
Very fun place to work at.
Dialectical behaviour therapy facilitator (Former Employee) –  Washington StateDecember 14, 2017
I worked with a lot of different people trying to help them improve their quality of life. If i could go back i would in a heart beat. Great managers and very helpful individuals that work there. Lots of opportunity for advancment within the company.
Cons
Work with autistic individuals causes stress
Caregiver
Behavioral Intervention Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WASeptember 6, 2017
As a caregiver many things are required of you to succeed in this company. You must have a lot of patience, strong authority so that the children know they cannot manipulate you. Paying attention to detail as well is very important because most of the job is to write down accurately and also administer correct information and medication to the children.
Pros
Yearly bonus, awesome management
Cons
attacks on staff from children.
Amazing place to work!
Employment Specialist/Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAJune 19, 2017
I've been with this company almost 2 years now and I absolutely love what I do, the people I work with are amazing and the job brings great rewards every day.
Very busy job
Behavior Specialist BISS (Current Employee) –  EVERETT CFSMarch 24, 2017
This job is perfect for someone whom like working with youth, enjoys helping and guiding them to build skillful resecpt and helping them through many different areas that they may need help. The job is fun and ever changing, some days you have 2 youth someday you have 6. Working here always puts a smile on my face. The job is fun, enjoyable and sometimes challenging but the end goal is always great. This job takes lots of patience and selfcare to be sure you are always up for the days tasks. You always have to think of safety 1st. So if you are driven by helping and supporting youth from all walks of life and behaviours this is perfect.
As for support our Resdiental coordinator, case managers and program manager are always there. The staff are great and it's like a strong family working for one goal.
Pros
Staff are amazing, always work to do, always something different never the same thing everyday
Cons
Pay is low
I always feel supported by leadership
Behavioral Intervention and Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAMarch 22, 2017
I work overnights 6 nights a week (including Fri, Sat, and Sun)

I have nice things to say about the people I work with.
The Program Manager is a patient person who seems to emphasize education over discipline.
The Residential Coordinator is very direct about what is expected and gives you opportunities to learn how to best manage your time.

I enjoy the solitude of the overnight shifts, and the short amount of time I am working with youth in the mornings when getting them up for school.

We get a pretty regular turn around of teenagers who come into and leave our program.
Pros
Infrequent schedule changes.
Cons
My mom said, If you don't have anything nice to say...
Very employee and customer oriented.
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WAMarch 21, 2017
I loved working here, the other staff are very helpful and my supervisor tried her best to assist me in being successful. The job was very rewarding and innovative.
Pros
Comped food, miles, vacation time, healthcare.
Cons
No breaks
Great company to work for but needs more cohesive management throughout company.
EMPLOYMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WASeptember 15, 2015
Loved working for this company only issue was that the standards were changing from month to month on how to prepare paperwork and forms and there was no real coaching on how to properly fill out forms reports throughout the company what was good and correct in one division was not so in another.
Pros
great co-workers and clients, good hours
Cons
health care benefits were not great and standard changed changed from location to location.
Great Ideas but not highly professional
Employment Specialist Program (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAApril 26, 2015
Working directly with individuals with multiple disabilities was a rewarding challenge.
Working with managers not so rewarding.
Lots of scams go on in this type of employment regarding the actual value that clients get for the money paid for client services. As I progressed towards employing my clients-my workload doubled. The employer did not appear to be really interested in putting individuals into real jobs-but were instead dragging out training to receive more financial rewards from DSHS instead.
I resigned after discovering the trend and fraud to not help clients excel-but to keep the finances rolling in from client families-some over 21 years.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
too much paperwork and fraud.
accounts payable, accounts receivable, customer service, personnel files
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAOctober 22, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of answering phone calls, assisting program managers and staff with any questions they may have in regard to company policies or pay. I was the first contact to the region for social workers, case managers and licensors as well as internal staff and management. My duties were to maintain the income for the contracts held with the state of Washington for the children that we cared for as well as paying all utilities and repairs for the program homes that the children were residing.
Pros
Loved the people I worked with. Great group
Cons
Because of the turnaround of administrators, expectations became extremely variable.
Great job if you enjoy working with children
Behavior Support Specialist Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Everett, WANovember 12, 2012
The days were long and sometimes very hard
continuously on the move.
Pros
it was a very rewarding position to watch the differences made in the youths behaviors
Cons
the pay was extremely low for the work, company took risks in which put the employees in dangerous situations
I loved my job working with kids and my co workers
Behavioral Intervention Support Spec Sup (Former Employee) –  Everett, WANovember 7, 2012
Every day I was at work there was a new challenge which made it so much fun. I can't say that all of the challenges were fun at the time, but I can say after each challenge was the feeling of knowing that I could survive it.
There were days which were extremely difficult such as one of the kids would go off and become physically aggressive towards myself or other staff, kids that would run away or try to, kids destroying property, oh and the name calling, kids with drug and alcohol abuse issues, kids who had been abused and dealing with the abuse issues was very difficult. We had them all.
I did daily med counts, medication distributions, room searches was also a daily requirment, performed daily living skills activities with the kids, daily charting, worked with educators, social workers, parents.
There just was never any down time you were continuously on the move, which made it even better because time would fly by.
I do have to say the best thing about my job was watching how the kids changed over time and no matter how little the change was it was always a positive change.
Pros
all of the kids i worked with, the great co workers, all of the education and training
Cons
the high volume of turnover in employees due to the high stress type of work, most were not prepared for all of the different areas which they faced.