Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Preneed Sales Manager/ Market Trainer (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CADecember 13, 2018
A typical day includes lots of prospecting and meeting with clients. Preplanning and giving needed information was the most enjoyable part of the job; and I learned that a good plan goes a long way. I enjoyed going to work and helping all those that came before me. The hardest part was helping those who had no plan and left things to chance and their loved ones to take care of. all in all a great place to learn about diversity, and many different cultures.
Pros
great culture and incentives
Cons
Selling typicaly happens on weekends and evenings
Good place to work!
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2018
SCI is very flexible and accommodating with your schedule if needed. They also have great work environments and offer discounts on employee purchases such as car rentals, vehicle purchases, etc. I have found career advancement to be slightly challenging, but they do offer annual raises, 401k, tuition reimbursement, etc.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, good pay, professional environment
Cons
Expensive benefits, no coverage for ABA Therapy if you have a child/children with Autism
Liars, cheats and thieves
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 7, 2018
Been in the workforce (mostly sales) for 40 years. Have never had to work with so many liars, cheats and thieves as in this company. Everyone up through the market directors will cut your throat to steal a deal from you or find a way to take away your commissions.

That doesn't even begin to describe the way consumers are ripped off. Overcharging, non-disclosures and discrimination are an everyday occurrence.
Pros
That a joke, right?
Cons
Everyone in management is a Con-artist.
Overall a good place to work
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, Sarasota, FLDecember 4, 2018
-It's not a 9-5 job. Some evenings and weekends are required.
-Like most sales jobs, it can be fast paced and stressful at times.
-Working with families grieving the loss of a loved one can be challenging, although it can also be very rewarding.
Great People dedicated to serving the public good.
Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLDecember 3, 2018
The people working at SCI are the best example of family. They are dedicated to supporting each other and their community. I learned that working within proven guidelines and structures are important to the responsibility of all. The hardest part was determining the difference with responsibility and accountability. What I want from my employer was not necessarily what my employer wanted to provide. I enjoyed working for a system that asked little from the customer and allows me to take on the burden of handling their needs so they experience freedom and ease in the passing of their loved one and they are free to acknowledge and respect the life they lived.
Pros
Weekly meetings and community projects.
Cons
Having to earn trust.
Ok. Could be great.
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 3, 2018
SCI is a fine place to work at. Much of it depends on where you work and under what ladder. Your manager and team are probably awesome. The higher ups tend to... Well, some won’t even tell you hello if you pass them in the halls. They’ll send emails at all hours and the culture tends to make you think you should be replying. Life/work balance at times can feel like they like to talk about t and less follow it. Generalizing of course and focusing a little too much of the harsh. I’d dare even say it’s more mid-management t on the business side and not the field.

Outside of that, the work has purpose. Solid focus on the families (where it should be.) The teams are great. Some groups are clearly more competitive then others. Most are more relaxed and accommodating. Real teams that go out of their way to help one another. Just expect the usual corporate bull as well.

There are many positives, but it’s a giant corporation. There’s a ton of bull and many systems you’ll have to get used to. Glad to work here. Wish it’d be better.
Pros
Benefits, teammates, purposeful work
Cons
Mid management.
Good
Pre-Planning Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WADecember 3, 2018
This was a good place to work at the managers were excellent and the training was amazing. I learned a lot and everyone was always open to help.The hours were up to me i could put in as many hrs as i wanted.
Pre-need agent
Pre-Planning Counselor/Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 30, 2018
The week on training was valuable. Other than that the management only made money when you sold the most expensive funerals. And used upsell techniques for pricier caskets, services. All agents and funeral directors were on a quota.
Pros
First week on training. My sales manager, who left the company, then I left.
Cons
Cost more money to work, with no reimbursement for gas, or personal money used.
Good Work Environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 27, 2018
I enjoyed working alongside my co-workers, GM and Office Mgr. However, the compensation plan needs to be adjusted. There were times that my weeks were filled with services for families but because of how the plan is structured, I would not be adequately compensated.
Pros
Work environment, schedule flexibility
Cons
Compensation
I have developed my skills and expertise from the education and leadership of SCI
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee) –  North East USANovember 27, 2018
I started door knocking in Florida as PAF counselor..In 3 short months was promoted to Sales Manager of the Moss Feaster group . That was the true beginning of the great mentor ship I received . I grew into larger roles and responsibilities within the Florida region as high as Regional Vice President . The growth and learning led me into the largest Cemetery Region in the company as a Senior Vice President of Sales in the Mid Atlantic Region . I than became the Market Director to the Territory Director .
The path to my career was educational and rewarding .
Pros
The company is committed to seeing you thru on your roles.
Cons
As with every large company there seems to be people always trying to chop your legs.
Great career opportunities for all!
Management (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 20, 2018
Unlike most consumer goods and services, this is a steady and sure profession. What makes it great, though, is the people and culture. At SCI, you can learn from the best, access the best technology, and enjoy the best benefits programs. With almost 2,000 locations in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico, SCI offers career mobility too.
Pros
Great 401(k), excellent training, helpful and collaborative co-workers
Cons
It's a 24-7 profession as we serve families when they need us.
Funeral Home Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stuart, FLNovember 13, 2018
I have been with SCI for almost 2 years. The management is amazing along with my co-workers. I Love that if you have any problems, management always has your back. The door is always open and no judgments are made. They are very flexible and caring. I see this group as my second family. I have no intentions of ever leaving this very compassionate and loving group.I actually look forward to going to work there. Thank you SCI for allowing me to be part of the "family".
Pros
Compassionate and caring
Good Company
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  USANovember 12, 2018
Good company to work for, however compensation for sales professionals and Sales Leadership needs to be revamped. Can’t get good people unless you pay them a decent base salary and commission, especially when there is a lot of “non” selling administrative work where there is no direct compensation or commissions to be earned.
Excellent, fast paced environment with lots of interdepartmental colabration
HR Support Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, LANovember 6, 2018
I manage the HR Support team. Our goal is to provide exceptional customer experiences to our employees. We usually work with managers who are focused on providing excellent customer experiences to their customers and have little time to figure out how to do HR functions on their own.
Pros
SCI is a Great Place to Work, The Sr Mgmt team is very dedicated to the mission and our employees, The company is the industry leader in technical innovation, People truly care about people.
Cons
None that I can think of.
Good Place to Work
Sales Manager / Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXNovember 6, 2018
Day were long at times but fulfilling, the company allow me to connect with the community. Support Community Events. To help people to prepare for death so that the family would not have to suffer and not know what they would have wanted their final wishes to have been.
Pros
Teaching people that you should leave a legacy. To Celebrate Life and not mourn death.
Cons
Transforming the mind of someone whom has lost a love one. To Celebrate Life and not mourn death.
Some People Aren't a Fit
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaNovember 6, 2018
Most of the people who slam the company are in the sales side. They failed so they blamed. It is true, it's a commissioned based position, but for those people who are motivated, trainable, and follow the plan, they'll make $50K and much more as a sales advisor and have a solid future in a recession proof industry.

Most sales people complain about leads, their manager, or the lack of training. Most of the time, it's them not following the training or lazy work effort. The sales training in the company is very thorough and comprehensive. We have a lot of successful and high earning folks that came to the company without any sales experience.

Sales in this industry evolve from relationship building and trust with client families and value selling the benefits of advanced planning. If you're a product peddler and waiting for a "lead" ready to write a check, failure is guaranteed.

If you're unhappy with you status, manager, or training, say something. They'll be an up line manager who will take ownership and resolve it.

SCI is in the Top Tier of companies rated by J.D. Powers. These surveys are sent to client families both on the immediate need side and advanced planning. The public throughout North America likes us so we must have a lot of great employees serving them well.
Pros
Unlimited opportunity with the largest company in the industry
Cons
It's not a part time job. That's why they pay us a lot to succeed
productive
HR Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2018
Very easy layed back,professional environment and learned a lot. It was a nice place to work everyone was very welcoming and helped me out when i had questions.
Good Co-workers in most areas
General Manager (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCNovember 5, 2018
SCI gave me many opportunities to learn management skills. The day to day operations are extremely paperwork top heavy. Employees and client families could be better served if the process was streamlined.
Pros
Fair wages, opportunities to learn, teammates were excellent and caring.
Cons
Management brought from outside industries and opportunities weren't given to in house, painted all locations with a broad brush when each location had their own characteristics.
Never Stressful
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2018
I worked in the corporate office for almost 3 years. I wish I would have stayed here. The most enjoyable part of the job were the employees. My supervisor was amazing and very accommodating to my schedule.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Health insurance was expensive.
Terrible training, management and lack of technology
Family Service Counselor and Pre Planning Advisor (Current Employee) –  El Camino Memorial ParkNovember 4, 2018
Management leads by intimidation. Management is not supportive, very condescending and extremely rude with their communication with employees.

Extremely long working hours, expected to stay late into the evenings. Tons of ridiculous and repetitious paperwork that is not available through technology - mostly required to be completed manually.

Horrible place to work!
Pros
Cons
El Camino - Sorrento Valley is a Terrible place to work with horrible management!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight