Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

Definitely a good Ol boys club.
Family Service Specialist/Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 15, 2019
Unfortunately when it comes to top tier management there's no diversity at all. When it comes to promotions you definitely have to be apart of the club. Tons of top producers being management by sales managers with little to none experience in the funeral home or cemetery industry.
Sci
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 15, 2019
Very long days, lots of grief and attending funerals and services. 100% commission following up on grieving families. Pay structure is not reasonable and feels preying on families.
I wouldn't advise it
Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 13, 2019
When SCI took over our company, 98% of our entire staff was pushed out within a few months. I believe they didn't want to pay worthwhile, knowledgeable and committed staff because when we were gone they hired people with NO experience. That does not bode well for families when they are in need of funeral services.
They don't care about their employees or their customers. They just want the money. Very disappointing and ethic ally wrong.
Pros
Decent benefits, especially if you push families into spending more
Cons
Horrible management, unethical and uncaring
Can be rewarding, but base salary is just minimum wage
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAFebruary 12, 2019
Compassion for customers is hard to maintain due to stress of mainly commission oriented pay. Great training program and opportunity to earn life insurance license (which is required). Management works hard to help sell pre-planned funeral arrangements (higher commission) and at-need funeral arrangements (lower commissions). Up and down cycle of earnings very difficult to adjust and budget for.
Pros
Camaraderie with Co-Workers, Bonus Commissions available for monthly sales strung together.
Cons
Stress of low base pay and customer's demands at difficult time in their lives.
Is an International company and the name has a good reputation but they dont sponsor the credibility of the employees.
Receptionist and Administrative (Current Employee) –  Hato Rey, PRFebruary 8, 2019
Overall is a company that puts attention in learning to be persuasive in every culture to satisfy every clients needs during a tought time. Is an interesting industry to wok in. I gained experience in one of the areas I like. I’m thankful for the opportunity but I would like to grow and to my work skills to be apreciated in terms of salary.
Pros
Holidays paid, sick days paid, vacation days paid and health indurance
Cons
Not a good salary and they try to avoid to pay extra hours.
Good overall
Accountant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 7, 2019
Good work-life balance, good management, limited opportunities for advancement. Health insurance is expensive for a company of this size, even high deductible options.
Rewarding
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 3, 2019
The position is sales and you need to meet your goals each month. If you do not, your work life can become challenging. For the most part, I met monthly goals and often made quarterly bonuses. For top producers, income is high.
Pros
Get to help families during a difficult time
Cons
Often required to work evenings and weekends
Not a good place to work. non transparent company
cemetery superintindent (Former Employee) –  Wichita falls txFebruary 3, 2019
SCI sells what is called a lawn crypt. It is a pre installed concrete vault , with drainage. The sells team , leads the family to believe these lawn crypts will not hold water , and that any water that does get in will drain out the preinstalled drain system. By theory , this is true. But they dont bother to tell the purchasers that SCI installed an inferior drain system that does repeatedly fail. I personally expirienced the drain failure on 3 different occasions when I was employeed there. Two of the times I was able to fix the drains and get them draining again. The last time was after a 5 year drought in our area. When the drought finally ended , it rained for 2 weeks straight. Set record rain fall in wichita falls. The lawn crypts were flooded and We couldnt get them to drain like we had before. The GM at the time , instructed me to not report this to corporate. He said we dont need cprporate sending in engineers and corporate people snooping in our business. After months of dealing with totally flooded vaults in the Garden of Cross , I went to the GM one more time and told himwe had to report this and get it fixed. He told me to not call corporate until I was ready to lose my job. At this time I had been the superinitindent at this SCI location for 37 years. I could no longer sit by and see families being buried in these vaults , not to mention the hundreds that were already interred there , and completley under water. So I called someone I knew in human resources and told hin what was going on, and the GM would not report it or let me. He flew into town under false pretense  more... , concealing the reason for his trip to the GM , to protect me . He investigated , and saw hundreds of pictures of flooded vaults that I had taken Hetold me he would report this to the area Manager over all of texas. The next week I got a call from this manager wanting to set up a meeting with me. He came to town the following week and brought a SCI attorney with him. We met for 4 hours in my office. I told them everything , including the GM did instructed me not to report the problem to corporate. It just so happened the we had a burial in this garden the next day. The man from corporate stayed with the corporate attorney. They asked me if I thought this one would be flooded. I told them that I gaurantee it would be. When we opened up the double depth lawn crypt tp put the second casket in , the casket that was already in the crypt , was completeley under water. After this we did call a plumber with cameras to run up the drain lines to find the problem. A collapsed line was found and repaired , and the water started draining. It was old black greasy stinking water. You could tell the bodies had been flooded , and the area drained for over 2 weeks , thats just how flooded it was. And it drains into a pond on the cemetery property that over flowed into the neighbors ponds. and neighbors ponds were also filled completely up and run over due to this lawn crypt area draining. The neighbors are not aware of what drained into there ponds , that they , there children , grandchildren and friends fish from and eat the fish. And also swim in. That is they do not know as of yet. But Im sure they will in the near future, as will the EPA and sate and local puplic health offices. Anyway , this area will flood again and again due to inferior drainage. And after reporting this , I lost my job of 39 years plus . The GM that didnt want this reported is still there. SCI claims to be transparent with there puplic dealings , but I can assure you , they are all but that. I will als o reveal other things reported to the SCI corporate attornies , that were not even investigated. I will continue this review when time permits , exposing other wrong doings of SCI. SCI owes me for 4 years of pay for wich I was planning on working there until I was 65 , but can no longer do , because of them terminating me. This is how they treat a person that devoted his lifelong career with SCI. Wich I will get into on my next of many more reviews.  less
Cons
This
Meaningful work in an important industry
Family Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJanuary 31, 2019
SCI has a great career opportunity in their Family Services Counselor role. This work is soooo important, makes an incredible difference to the families you meet along the way. No question--this is a sales job. Be prepared for consistent application of your 'I can help you--let's get you signed up' talk track.

The day-to-day service side is one that is very meaningful. To stand with a family during their time of need--funeral and burial services--is honorable, memorable work. You will be appreciated.
Pros
Meaningful work; opportunities to make a difference for families.
Cons
Long days, long stretches without time off.
Poor place to work never stood up to the logo dignity
Removal Technician (Former Employee) –  La Feria, TXJanuary 30, 2019
Was a bad place to work always had a extra cross to carry. Manager always had to side with his wife when things went south even if wife was wrong. I don’t think I even got paid fairly when I was only person on call for not one but two locations . Always only got paid hourly . Worked with people that talked bad about other employees and cussed a lot in front of others. Oh and I can’t forget the very unprofessional manager that attacked me over a flat tire intimidating me just to fired me. Wrongfully terminated me then turned around and said that I quit which was never the situation. Hopefully the corporate office can fix this for the future employees.
Pros
Get to help families in time of need
Cons
Rude, disrespectful, stealing happening
Micromanaged to death
Removal Technician (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 25, 2019
I enjoy working with the families. It is a very rewarding job and you’re helping folks get through one of the hardest times in their lives. Unfortunately, at my location management holds on to the lazy workers with bad attitudes and terrible work ethics. Due to the lazy workers we’re suffocated by micromanagement and everyone ends up suffering. Morale is LOW so it’s up to you, the employee, to keep a positive attitude the best you can. It’s easy to spot the people who have checked out and who are just collecting an easy check. The benefits are ok. No paid holidays. If you do decide to work for this company get your foot in the door, get your experience and probably find somewhere else to work for sanity reasons.
Pros
Driving brand new vehicles for work, meeting many different kinds of people, working with families, developing friendships, gaining experience in the field
Cons
Low pay, management, lazy co-workers, micro-managing, high turnover
The customers were great and management was unsupportive.
Office Coordinator (temp) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 23, 2019
Very stressful due to lack of structured training.
I learned accounts receivable and contract auditing.
Management was more negative than positive. In my opinion management set me up to fail instead of succeed.
The culture was a negative tense environment due to personality conflicts which I had nothing to do with yet I was thrown into the tense enviroment and my productivity suffered from it..
The hardest part of the job was working with no breaks and expections were higher and higher and additional items were added to the job description. I received mostly negative feedback which was a demotivator.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers and supporting the families which was my number one priority.
I received lots of compliments from the customers and they called me a special kind of person. The ISRS were all so friendly and all I wanted to do is help them succeed in their sales processes. .
Pros
Helping families thru a difficult time in their lives.
Cons
No time to take breaks and expectations were unattainable.
Chance to learn and room to grow
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 23, 2019
Need more support emotionally and less hardships. Not all people are kind enough to take time check on others to make sure they are okay. We are humans too.
Pros
Opportunity to travel.
Cons
Too much travel.
Good employer
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 21, 2019
SCI was wonderful and great to work for. The company had a great network of support. This is a great place to learn about the funeral business. The staff is very compassionate and helpful to the bereaved.
Good ol Boys Club work environment
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJanuary 20, 2019
No training

No room for advancement, unless your part of the good ol boys club. Favoritism runs rampant

The pay scale is low so you won’t be working with top notch employees

Your work environment will all depend on your location manager

My location manager was a bully and made my work day miserable.

Had to endure sexual harassment from other male employees

Don’t expect HR to assist you. They will side with management
Pros
401k. Work/Life Balance but that depends on your location manager
Cons
Low pay. Cut throat work environment No training It’ll be a dead end job
Want to work here? Prepare to live in poverty
Sweathog (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 16, 2019
Yes, this is just another sweatshop company where your labor will benefit someone other than you. Management will pay you as little as they can get away with because they have virtually no respect for anyone other than themselves. Do yourself a favor and get a real job where you'll be appreciated and paid what you're worth. They tell you you'll get 401K with a company match, but you have to work there three years first. Anyone giving this dump five stars is just a company shill
Pros
There aren't any
Cons
Benefits suck
Flee from this place
Sweathog (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 16, 2019
The only thing these people care about or understand is money. They will charge a grieving family as much as they can during their time of need without the slightest bit of remorse. Don't be fooled into thinking someone here cares about you. They try to generate as much money as they can without appealing to morality, ethics or conscience. With so many other options in the Lincoln area for funeral services why would you want to come here and be charged much more than other places?
Pros
Cons
Maintenance is grossly underpaid
Do families matter? Only until they get the money
Grunt (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 15, 2019
Management harps about how important families are while taking advantage of these same families by charging them as much as they can for their services. Make no mistake about it: the only thing that matters to this particular funeral home and the company that owns it is money. They pay their employees as little as possible so that some guy in a suit gets his year end bonus. The superintendent, who paints his toenails red, is wholly consumed with moving up the ladder and getting his nice, cushy office job as he calls it. If there is a death in the family, do yourself a favor and save a lot of money by having your loved ones buried somewhere else.
Pros
Cons
Pay, benefits
It’s a good place to work at.
PRE- PLANNING ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2019
I like the place. Just tired from commission base. I am fond of it. Learned a lot and helped a lot too. The hardest part is prospecting. The managers are so friendly.
Pros
Free lunches, parties.
Cons
Career development
This is a very strefful place and they push their people
A Family Service Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 14, 2019
Very stressful place Push their people Do not care how long you work it is never enough People never got to spend time away from work Always at work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight