Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Nepotism
Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  York, PAJuly 5, 2018
I worked the job for a year without a boss and loved it was very successful, until the local manager hired a personal friend to be my boss, this person then hired their mother in law, and put me in a position to do their unpaid work for them. when i confronted them with the issue i was physically threatened and then fired two weeks later, They also have an ALL or Nothing commission schedule probably the most complicated ive ever seen. involving a 3 week rolling bonus that i achieved quite often except when i had national guard obligations some of them like the inauguration appeared without any kinda warning. this affected my pay for 3 months every time it happened and i was out 2300$ that i EARNED

THIS IS NOT A VETERAN FRIENDLY COMPANY
Pros
if you can fog a mirror they will hire you
Cons
they sap your soul
Some people were more center on what the boss taught than their job.
Funeral Director/Embalmer (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJuly 1, 2018
I got the feeling the new supervisior hep his friends than others.. The area manager play favorites with the females. They always recieved awards. He Died after I left so I do not know how it is now.
Don't do it unless Management!!!!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 29, 2018
100% commission which I wasn't told , small slow office which didn't need a sales person,/ everyone else there position was secured in hourly, and manager Made big $$ - me I was slave labor - . The manager was incompetent not only in training but in overall operations - had no experience- lackd integrity, and class.
Pros
No nights usually
Cons
Everything else
productive and a great place to advance in Marketing skills
Assistant marketing specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 28, 2018
A typical day at work would include event planning, setting up booths, interacting with customers, and marketing our services. This job helped my advance my career in marketing and customer service.
Pros
travel
Cons
commission
Management sucks
Funeral Director/Embalmer Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIJune 24, 2018
The higher up management for SCI succkkks! I absolutely loved my actual manager and everyone that I worked with..well besides one guy. But the higher up corporate guys ruined this job for me. I LOVED it there till corporate got involved
Pros
Loved my actual manager
Cons
Higher management for corporate
Work in progress
Accountant III Contract (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2018
The area I was within, needed a lot of management intensified training on how to communicate with employees. The days were not long but could have been more challenging.
Managers are Idiots
Funeral Director and Embalmer (Former Employee) –  Various LocationsJune 18, 2018
SCI is full of managers that don't know or care what is going on at their locations. They favor men- especially in management positions, and they promise employees incentives during the hiring process, but often do not fulfill them once the employee is hired. Too corporate and cold. Only care about making money- terrible service to families and decedents. Most Funeral Directors can't do their job completely and independently and most embalmers are careless and clueless about how properly embalm and prepare decedents.
Work Holiday and weekends
Sales Director (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 13, 2018
Due to the industry, family time is not so easily obtained. Sales people had a high turnover because compensation plan was constantly changed. Only top producers benefited from compensation. Average sales people made below average wages.
Productive and I loved working there as a student
Office Manager / Mortuary Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2018
I was going to school to be an embalmer .Unfortunately I was allergic to the embalming fluid, so that's the reason why I stopped working there.

Over all it was a good experience.
Pros
Good Coworkers
Cons
nothing
it wasn't the best
Part-time Courier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 28, 2018
not a job to grow in. I would look for something else. one could definitely find somewhere better for sure. comment was not the best either. spent so much time in traffic.
Management is horrible.
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNMay 21, 2018
The manager doesn't care about hourly wage workers. People went years without any raises while sales people were making alot of money for the company.
I loved the job duties....but the pay was sad, Mostly the raises....They arent performance based entirely....but basically if your location suffered too many losses you got nothing! Could also get stuck doing other people's jobs alot too with out any consideration. Not technologically advanced there either.
I did lots of work but did not feel appreciated there.
Pros
Cons
Pay, raises, lack of respect, high turn overs, nepotism.
Typical corporate structure
General Care (Former Employee) –  Grand Blanc, MIMay 18, 2018
I have said many times that they squeeze pennies and nickels out of the hourly employees so that the managers can get bigger bonuses. They could care less about you personally and you are expendable. It is very much a "What have you done for me lately" attitude.
Pros
If full time, good benefits.
Cons
Management doesnt really care about hourly employees.
High Stress
Service Counselor (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 16, 2018
Company focus is on sales - no work life balance. Commission pay structure is unfair and you are required to work all major national holidays which means you are unable to spend quality time with your family.
Pros
Cons
Overworked and under paid
Overall a great company to work with!
Funeral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Del City, OKMay 10, 2018
I was at a location with fantastic individuals that were limited by corporate policies. Overall this was an excellent opportunity. Definitely not a career path for the faint of heart... it takes a special individual to work with death daily and be okay... and even excel. I was sad when I relocated and left this place!!
Pros
Family environment, free snacks and beverages.
Cons
Frequent long/extended hours.
Productive environment with ping pong table during quarter end
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2018
Enjoyable work environment with wonderful professionals. Quarter ends are more enjoyable with different break stations such as puzzles and ping pong.
Pros
Free lunches and dinners during quarter end
Cons
Healthcare
Poor management
Licensed Funeral Director/Embalmer (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MIMay 8, 2018
Management does not treat employees equally. Taking on more responsibility does not pay off. Expectations from management are very exaggerated and create an oppressive work environment. Management is not held accountable. Employee concerns are addressed with excuses instead of solutions. If a manager does offer a solution they do not follow through with it. This creates a sense that employees are not valued here.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Poor management
Decent place to work great managers
Crematory Operator (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INMay 7, 2018
Strict on policy and procedures for certain employees. And repercussions for some but not all. Mangers are excellent and trusting,but some managers are extremely loyal others aren't.
Sad environment
Administrator in Training (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 3, 2018
You begin and end your day working like a dog. No one really cares how hard you work. And there is so much work to be completed ASAP. You're bound to make mistakes and fail at what you do. In the end you're either kicked out on the curb or just flee for your life. Not a great environment to grow in. Not a great place. Stay away from there. It's scarey.
Pros
Can't think of one.
Cons
Lack of leadership
Avoid sci
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 3, 2018
You would be better off avoiding working for SCI. Austin is not a good market to work for. The whole corporation is completely corrupt. Employees are extremely underpaid unless you have dirt on management, which there is plenty of.
The hardest part of the job
Community Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bellflower, CAApril 23, 2018
SCI are leaders in the funeral and mortuary industry. They provide families/individuals with the services & care needed to address their loved one's final preparations. The conversations needed to aid the grieving families during their moments of loss can be very difficult at times.
Pros
Fulfilling line of work
Cons
Job Advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight