Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

very stressful and a noncaring work environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 21, 2018
not happy with company. Management is very disrespectful and negative. Creates a very negative work environment. Talks down to employees and treats them like a number not a person. Turnover in the sales area is 70%
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short breaks, upset when days off and vacations are taken
I love the old team when I first started, Everything started changing, The community took notice
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 21, 2018
I love working in a funeral home ad helping people through this losing my father at a critical age. I was unlike an Funeral Home I have worked for. I take the families and the work very seriously, I am warm and get to know them instead of just pushing for things I knew they could not afford. I worked with them to find something that did make them happy and they could afford. Back when I started that was how it was done. Not anymore, I am ethical and honest and I will help them any way,,,start to finish. I just like where this was going and I was not happy,
This is the worse company I have ever worked for-run away -dont even apply
Family Service Counselor/Sales (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNOctober 19, 2018
They make it sound like you can earn big money but its slow pace-boring-they make you pressure sell to familys that are grieving and management is horrible. There is no advancement and they run through employees left and right. Do not even think about going here..I swear. You get called at all times of the day nights and weekends to meet with people and there is no leads-you are on your own.
Pros
none- I cant think of one thing
Cons
so many starting with broken promises.
Pushed to take advantage of people at their weakest time!
Family Service Counselor (Current Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLOctober 18, 2018
Horrible!
You are on your own.
Lots of promises made.
Be willing to be screwed by coworkers.
Management and corp promote back stabbing.
Plan on having your hard work turn into a sale for senior people.
Pros
Can get high at work :)
Cons
Long hours, low pay.
Family Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 13, 2018
They give you all the tools anyone needs to become successful and make money. There's a wide variety of positions and is a great way to enter the funeral home industry.
Good
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYOctober 12, 2018
Fast pace and nice place to work. Learned most of my computer skills. Management is fair. Workplace culture is friendly.

Not sure what more you want me to tell you.
Client Centric and Compassionate Community
Pre-Planning Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 11, 2018
Service Corporation International is a company that holds a lot of promise for people who are passionate about caring for the client families in the community.

They provide great training opportunities for life long learning.

Leadership and management are some of the missing components to sustaining and maintaining employee satisfaction.
Pros
Flex schedule, good comission
Cons
Low base pay
Great Place to Work!!!!
Market Support Director (Finance) (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 8, 2018
I spent 10 years altogether in this great company. I recommend it to anyone. The industry is fascinating, presents technical challenges for the accounting finance profession.
Position was not a good fit.
Payroll Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 5, 2018
The work schedule was not properly detailed in the interview.
After accepting the position I was expected to work on the weekend and spend the night if necessary.
Pros
Free food.
Cons
No work life balance.
A lot of work.... little pay
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San JoseOctober 4, 2018
There is very little training, and a lot of work to be done.
People just expect you to know exactly what your doing the first few days you start. There is a lot of random tasks being thrown at you left and right. A lot of micromanaging going on. And very temperamental management.
Pros
Vacation/sick pay
Cons
Poor pay
This company went out of business
Sales and Service Support, Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis MOOctober 3, 2018
This company went out of business. The office in St. Louis was closed and bought out by my next employer. One other employee and I were hired as part of the negotiation.
Challenging industry with no work life balance
Sales Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pueblo ColoradoOctober 3, 2018
This type of industry is best suited for certain individuals. Being surrounded by grieving families and death tends to take a toll over time. For me, it wasn't worth the stress.
great place to work.
Funeral Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAOctober 2, 2018
Whitehurst is a very rewarding place to work. Great direction from manager and directors. You are well trained to do the job assigned.
I get great comfort from helping families in need. Cannot imagine doing anything else. I enjoy the flexible hours. I always have be granted time off as needed
Pros
family atmosphere with maanger, directors and team members. Flexible hours, get time off when needed.
Cons
there are no cons
Under a lot of pressure
Family Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDOctober 2, 2018
The job place a person a lot of pressure to earn your pay. The job did not provide a good work and family balance.Management expected you to be on the job all day and half the night.
hard way to make a buck in sales
Independent Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 1, 2018
Constant change to the comp plan, and never in the salespeople's favor, many changes in management, too many meetings, have to get a license. I don't recommend.
N/a
Funeral Detail Specialist (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 29, 2018
I have worked several years for this company.
The funeral home industry is a growing field. It is more or less a typical office job. Management has a lot of issues that need to be worked on.
Horrible company and Management
Recruiter II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 29, 2018
Management was horrible, the team environment was not good and the pay was not great at all. I did not learn much being here, it consider it a very bad company overall
A Great Place to Serve Others!
Funeral Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 27, 2018
I work as a Funeral Assistant, part-time, as a retirement job.
It is a wonderful place to be able to assist others in their time of greatest need.
Because our company standards are very high, and because we are very well trained as a people, we are able to provide services to our clients which are the best in the business.
The result is that we help turn a very difficult time into a positive, memorable time. Because we work with compassion, the families know we care.
I also get to work with other men like me, who have a similar way of looking at life. This makes the workday enjoyable.
I am glad for my job in these my later years!
Pros
An atmosphere of cooperation and high standards
Cons
It is always a challenge to help people in difficult times.
Great Company
Payroll Analyst I - Temporary (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2018
The overall company itself is great to work for. I wasn't pleased with departmental favoritism at times. That made the position I was in uncomfortable to work in daily. Never felt as part of the team, only when it was necessary.
It could be a good place to work, but it is not by management
Office Manager at Los Cipreses Cemetery (Former Employee) –  Bayamón, PRSeptember 23, 2018
A stressful environment as a result of management's mistreatment of the employee. The treatment of the employee is not pleasant and there is a great lack of respect on the part of management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight