Service Corporation International

Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

United States1,277 reviews

Found 1,277 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,339 reviews
funeralcemeterygrievingneptunecremationcommissionsaledeath

It was a lot of work but good enviorment

This is a good company to work for if you want to grow and learn its avaliable. I loved my managers we worked as a team and no one position was considered less than the other person.

Pros

you can advance in the administration enviorment

Cons

work is long and can be very tense at times

What is the best part of working at the company?Everyone was helpful. When there was a task to do, we all just jumped in to do it. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?sometimes it was too busy and too pushed for timeWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?friendly, helpfulWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?arrive 2 hours before service to clean and set up. Be ready to meet family and be there for the visit and service, then afterwards clean up

Service Corporation International insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Total Boys’ Club

Unprofessional, obtuse, and downright rude management chain. If you’re not popular, you’re not going to see advancement. They will completely crush your spirit after milking you for all you’re worth. They will put expectations on you that are above your pay grade and label you as difficult to work with if you speak up for yourself.

Maybe trying fast food

This job, for anyone in it should be about helping people. The company makes it about money and nothing else. Little to no structure little to no training.

The Attendance

The attendants were very welcoming and friendly and helped me learn a lot!! I’m glad I got to meet the ones I worked with down the line before my husbands Military PCS.

Pros

fellow funeral attendees were nice family members were friendly a few FD were nice

Cons

No lunch break short staffed LM for Memory Garden was rude cage mills FD was rude and disrespectful

Overworked and underpaid

I worked for this company over 10 years. I loved the job and overall I had great job stability. The company is too large and management lacks in training staff. The staff that is seasoned is paid well. However, new staff coming in with experience is well not paid fairly what they should be paid compared to this companies competitors. Management is weird as a funeral home manager will just get moved to a completely different management position not having the experience or general knowledge in that area of the business. This made zero sense to me. Overall it was an okay place to work but I was overworked and underpaid. They have a high turn over too with the sales service counselors (this individuals sell cemetary plots, niches, and crypt spaces). I met a lot of nice people but after over ten years with the company many faces were new.

They treat the customer right but not the staff

The company stresses the importance of service excellence for the families but they don't show the same level of service towards the employees. Many employees are overlooked for promotions or turned down for promotions because they didn't meet newly created terms and conditions. The pay is inconsistent and poor. Hourly workers are paid slightly more than minimum wage while management makes very decent salaries with company cars.

What is the best part of working at the company?The people in needWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?High pressure sales, overpriced items, terrible company support, terrible software system, distrustful overly competitive sales colleagues, nasty cemetery grounds crew and office staff, extremely disorganized, terrible upkeep of plots and mausoleums and grounds. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?See previous answer What is a typical day like for you at the company?See first answer

What is good is really good. What is bad is really bad

Been in the industry for over 20 years. SCI has some of the greatest training resources. The offerings for the families are extensive. Locations all over the country. Unfortunately it is all about the numbers. What you sell, quotas, hitting budget. You are made to feel that you are only successful if you hit your case numbers and KPIs. Too much pressure from executive management. Treated like a number and not a person. They don’t care about work life balance but spew that phrase out all the time like they care. Nope only care about contributing to their bonus.

Great Product and Compensation

Hired in Late October, left in early April. RVP hired me than left for a 3 week vacation. I Was left for 2 months to figure it out on my own. Still was held accountable for hitting number’s. Sales team consisted of a new hire and a disgruntled advisor who wanted me to fail. RVP was abusive, loud and hired my replacement while I still was working. Overheard many conversation outlining take over. It’s hard coming to a new industry anyway, but treated like you are a terrible piece a @$%# was unfair and very damaging. If you are not good on the phone or have call reluctance, it doesn’t mean your lazy. It’s a skill that must be developed. I needed a leader not a pit Bull … I got the pit bull

Love meeting and helping people corporate sucks and is greedy

They expect you to follow up with grieving families stressing the importance of pre-planning which turns into a sales call that people dont want to hear. Corporate is greedy they keep raising prices they are about their pockets and not about families. Pay is commission only and the structure is horrific. the turnover is crazy in sales because people need to eat

Poor leadership

Enjoyed working with Remote locations with their issues, internal teams are difficult to work with.Preferential treatment

Great work culture; Terrible Life-Work Balance

The people there are fabulous and work to keep the train moving! But unfortunately management had very inconsiderate expectations and would not provide the team with the bandwidth to give us some level of life-work balance. Worked holidays, weekends and even on your scheduled vacation! Disappointing.

Toxic work environment will wear you down

Workplace culture is decadent -- people thrive off of gossip and the "keep you on your toes" atmosphere wherein great workers are suddenly fired or moved to a ridiculously distant office. Lots of bully tactics used by management to instill intimidation and submissiveness. Work-life balance non-existent. Coerced/forced overtime as company is always shortstaffed. And if you actually care about the families, you will always give in and just accept the on-call shift, stay in the office hours past 5, etc...

What is the best part of working at the company?Helping families in need. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The company doesn’t care about employees and upper management covers for each other. They don’t investigate Human Resources issues and wipe everything under the rug. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Stressful and very cut throat. There’s no one to listen or care for that matterWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Meetings for employees, handle any issues, visit the parks and coordinate activities to generate extra leads with employees

Oustiders Beware

If your not from this area, chances are high your not going to fit in. They have had more directors work for them than the number of directors who attend a state convention.

Great Company

I unfortunately worked here for a short time but have to say that it was one of the best companies that I worked for. The culture is amazing and they have great work/life balance. Compensation could have been a bit better but it was fair. I enjoyed my team which was very cohesive and the opportunity was definitely a growth one for me.

Pros

Free snacks, company lunch, 401k

Cons

Health insurance premiums

Very rewarding for those you help

This is a very rewarding job when it comes to helping others. As far as the corporate side of things. It is the absolute worst and greediest company I ever worked for. Corporate treats their employees like garbage and the pay does not match the effort you put in. Rather it's paying for online classes to obtain a state license to their commission scale. The pay is set up to feed the big cats period. They don't care about keeping quality employees and the turnover ratio is astounding. How they have not been sued yet baffles me. I love my job but really dislike the corporation. If I knew of another I would apply there. The local management team is great and awesome though.

Management will blame you for their wrongdoings wrongful actions and the company will support them.

This is the worst place ever to work for. Management has no fear of mistreatment of employees as well as decedents for that matter.If you like a hostile environment, retaliation from the management and no backing from this hypocritical place. Then this is the place to work!

The managment training covered a myraid of topics that will guide me through any circumstance..

On my first day I had to call on the hiring mgr to open the funeral home for me. He sent someone from another location. That person unlocked the doors and was about to leave and that is when I asked, Will you show me where the first call sheets are and what buttons to I press to unforward the calls." From that point I leared a great deal about myself and my ability to thrive in any situation. You can guarantee that you will learn to swim or you will drown.

Pros

advancement opportunities

Cons

corporate jibberish

Okay Place

SCI is a good place to work, but it was really difficult to move up in the company, there were a special preference for certain people, but it did have good benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight