Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

When I worked at SCI it was a good ole boy environment. If you were a woman you were just a statistic they needed to satisfy HR.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2018
The management played favorites. Usually preferred employees who would go drinking after work. Didn't trust employees who wouldn't socialize after hours. I was a woman in a male dominated department. I was there almost 11 years starting as a receptionist and working up to IT analyst. I was laid off with about 16 other IT employees for no particular reason but corporate office said they had to cut the IT budget. But the highest paying, least working men stayed. Did not even get a decent severance package.
Pros
Fairly good pay but minimal raises.
Cons
Management, Corporate, Politics
Visionary and caring company
Director (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2018
A Senior VP told me during the interview process that this is a hugging company, made up of people who believe it's a calling rather than just a job, and it's true.
Having lost two family members while working for SCI, work acquaintances have become very dear friends. It felt like having a huge, talented, and fiercely caring extended family taking care of us. My wife now tells others about how much she loves my co-workers.
In regularly working with senior leadership on new projects, I also see their commitment to transforming the company and the industry for the future. SCI is actively pulling in a new generation of extremely creative and driven people to reshape the way we serve families for the better. Shockingly, this large company in a venerated industry has moved quickly into advanced technology and is even exploring applied artificial intelligence, to give associates more time to work directly with families.
No company is perfect, but from funeral directors to senior executives, almost every employee I’ve met demonstrates love, loyalty, and commitment to excellence. I’m thankful to be a part of it.
Pros
SCI truly cares for its customers and its employees, and is the industry leader with great senior management.
Cons
Some internal processes are over-engineered with an abundance of caution to help eliminate mistakes
I prefer no to review
Senior Benefits Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 5, 2018
I chose not to review this company. Great location with deli in the basement. Garage parking so your car is not setting in the sum all day. Don't have enough staff in benefits to deal with 28,000 employees.
Stable Employment
Celebrant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 31, 2018
SCI is a great job to have if you have work experience in a corporate ran funeral home operation. As with every corporation, SCI does have its drawbacks and shortcomings. However, each funeral location has a different environment and culture.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Not a long term job
Strenuous with little pay
Field Operations Support, Funeral Arranger (Current Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJuly 22, 2018
Be prepared to work 10 days on with 4 days off and no overtime for working 80 hours in a row. Not to mention you are on call (as an arranger) no less than 3 times a week, which means you can receive phone calls at 2am, 3am, 4am... and you have to wake up and speak with a family and still need to be at work on time the same morning. It is DIFFICULT and the little pay makes it hard to survive.
Pros
Always a need, always busy, coworkers
Cons
Hours, pay, lack of raises, lack of support, lack of training
There is always coffee and tea
Funeral Associate (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 14, 2018
Great pay for not requiring a degree. The staff becomes your friend really quickly. There are conflicts within coworkers but it really depends on your personality. I have been working for SCI for 2 years and had no problem with any coworkers but have some many conflicts among others.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not enough employees
Nepotism
Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  York, PAJuly 5, 2018
I worked the job for a year without a boss and loved it was very successful, until the local manager hired a personal friend to be my boss, this person then hired their mother in law, and put me in a position to do their unpaid work for them. when i confronted them with the issue i was physically threatened and then fired two weeks later, They also have an ALL or Nothing commission schedule probably the most complicated ive ever seen. involving a 3 week rolling bonus that i achieved quite often except when i had national guard obligations some of them like the inauguration appeared without any kinda warning. this affected my pay for 3 months every time it happened and i was out 2300$ that i EARNED

THIS IS NOT A VETERAN FRIENDLY COMPANY
Pros
if you can fog a mirror they will hire you
Cons
they sap your soul
Some people were more center on what the boss taught than their job.
Funeral Director/Embalmer (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJuly 1, 2018
I got the feeling the new supervisior hep his friends than others.. The area manager play favorites with the females. They always recieved awards. He Died after I left so I do not know how it is now.
Don't do it unless Management!!!!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 29, 2018
100% commission which I wasn't told , small slow office which didn't need a sales person,/ everyone else there position was secured in hourly, and manager Made big $$ - me I was slave labor - . The manager was incompetent not only in training but in overall operations - had no experience- lackd integrity, and class.
Pros
No nights usually
Cons
Everything else
productive and a great place to advance in Marketing skills
Assistant marketing specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 28, 2018
A typical day at work would include event planning, setting up booths, interacting with customers, and marketing our services. This job helped my advance my career in marketing and customer service.
Pros
travel
Cons
commission

Want to know more about Service Corporation International?

Ask a question
Management sucks
Funeral Director/Embalmer Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIJune 24, 2018
The higher up management for SCI succkkks! I absolutely loved my actual manager and everyone that I worked with..well besides one guy. But the higher up corporate guys ruined this job for me. I LOVED it there till corporate got involved
Pros
Loved my actual manager
Cons
Higher management for corporate
Work in progress
Accountant III Contract (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2018
The area I was within, needed a lot of management intensified training on how to communicate with employees. The days were not long but could have been more challenging.
Managers are Idiots
Funeral Director and Embalmer (Former Employee) –  Various LocationsJune 18, 2018
SCI is full of managers that don't know or care what is going on at their locations. They favor men- especially in management positions, and they promise employees incentives during the hiring process, but often do not fulfill them once the employee is hired. Too corporate and cold. Only care about making money- terrible service to families and decedents. Most Funeral Directors can't do their job completely and independently and most embalmers are careless and clueless about how properly embalm and prepare decedents.
I work for a reputable company and the experience is amazing.
Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 13, 2018
Although I love the industry that I work in, I feel it is time to move forward and utilize my education. SCI has given me the opportunity to work with customs at a very difficult time I their lives. This has helped prepare for other industries.
Pros
benefits salary, helping others
Work Holiday and weekends
Sales Director (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 13, 2018
Due to the industry, family time is not so easily obtained. Sales people had a high turnover because compensation plan was constantly changed. Only top producers benefited from compensation. Average sales people made below average wages.
Productive and I loved working there as a student
Office Manager / Mortuary Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2018
I was going to school to be an embalmer .Unfortunately I was allergic to the embalming fluid, so that's the reason why I stopped working there.

Over all it was a good experience.
Pros
Good Coworkers
Cons
nothing
it wasn't the best
Part-time Courier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 28, 2018
not a job to grow in. I would look for something else. one could definitely find somewhere better for sure. comment was not the best either. spent so much time in traffic.
Management is horrible.
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNMay 21, 2018
The manager doesn't care about hourly wage workers. People went years without any raises while sales people were making alot of money for the company.
I loved the job duties....but the pay was sad, Mostly the raises....They arent performance based entirely....but basically if your location suffered too many losses you got nothing! Could also get stuck doing other people's jobs alot too with out any consideration. Not technologically advanced there either.
I did lots of work but did not feel appreciated there.
Pros
Cons
Pay, raises, lack of respect, high turn overs, nepotism.
Typical corporate structure
General Care (Former Employee) –  Grand Blanc, MIMay 18, 2018
I have said many times that they squeeze pennies and nickels out of the hourly employees so that the managers can get bigger bonuses. They could care less about you personally and you are expendable. It is very much a "What have you done for me lately" attitude.
Pros
If full time, good benefits.
Cons
Management doesnt really care about hourly employees.
High Stress
Service Counselor (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 16, 2018
Company focus is on sales - no work life balance. Commission pay structure is unfair and you are required to work all major national holidays which means you are unable to spend quality time with your family.
Pros
Cons
Overworked and under paid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight