Service Corporation International

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

It was a lot of work but good enviorment

This is a good company to work for if you want to grow and learn its avaliable. I loved my managers we worked as a team and no one position was considered less than the other person.

Pros

you can advance in the administration enviorment

Cons

work is long and can be very tense at times

Great benefits come with a price

The Company is consistent with its purpose, mission statement and wants the best for families. Supervisor Insanity for the most part. You're lucky if you get a good one. No transparency. Think twice.

benefits

Cons

scrupulous management

Sales has good pay, good purpose

It’s sales so you get paid what you are worth. That is either good for you or bad for you. Good built in lead source. Much will be based on your location

Try something else other than this company ran by seniors who do no want to embrace technology. Was forced out by a lie. Need better direction. Need better management

There were some nice people but management was a joke

You get paid minimum wage but are worked like a dog. Doing more then what you were hired to do because most people don’t care and just mess around all day. People lie to families, there was no compassion, There was a lot of backstabbing and gossip.

Pros

The 2 ladies in the office. Ones sales and the other administration. Both are great!

Cons

Never got breaks, never got lunches, office equipment never worked properly, management was very sneaky and always find ways to get rid of people they do not like.

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Back Stabbers

My market director was a snake in the grass. The upper management is more about making their numbers for bonuses than caring for families. We were expected to sell packages regardless of what the family wanted. Also, those JD Power surveys can cause an employee serious trouble if they do not receive “10’s” on every question.

Pros

Cons

The culture of upselling

Horrible Management. No respect for your personal time

FSC role is demanding. Base pay minimum wage so working on commission sales is important and you are so busy putting out fires all day it makes it hard to have time to sell anything This company is the highest funeral hime in town I promise and they are ALL about the money. Thier motto is. We are a sales organization that sometimes conducts funerals. Disgusting motto.

Pros

Pay is decent is sales

Cons

Popularity Contest. Upper Management is awful

Simply sales

It just sucks. No training then constant harrassment to meet monthly goals. They give you free leads but act like they're paying you salary because of it. I was straight commission.

Terrible management, not worth the stress. But it is a stable job.

This corporation cares about the bottom line NOT their employees. Management is willing to look past the shady, terrible things that some of the employees do just because said employees “make the company money.” So if you’re a slimy salesman, then maybe this would be the place for you. But being in an administrative role here means you’re at the bottom of the barrel. You’ll be under appreciated and under paid, but expected to do extra work on top of your already heavy workload. 10/10 would NOT recommend! The only pro is that the death care industry will always be high in demand, so you’re almost guaranteed to never get fired from this job.

Pros

A free lunch every now and then, cake on your birthday

Cons

Bad management, manipulative coworkers, a lot of work for little pay, no overtime

Don't work here!

Pros

Non

Cons

59 years old this is the worst place I have ever worked

Don’t!

Always wanted to be in the death care industry, almost crushed all my hopes in dreams due to bad management would not recommend. You don’t get paid what your worth.

I enjoyed my time with SCI, best career move ever.

A really great company that allowed me to grow as a person and professional. Highly challenging environment with a sense of purpose and value. I was disappointed when our functions were offshored.

I worked as a contractor for 2.5 yrs.

I was told l would become a permanent employee twice, to no avail. No insurance, no vacation, no sick time, no 401k. No sense of appreciation as a temp.

Pros

Snacks, Swag

Cons

Healthcare, Vacation, Sick Time, 401k

Good people, always an open ear to listen to you

In my personal experience, I wish I was hired onto the company rather than be a temp an entire year before I moved on otherwise I would've stayed for awhile. The starting pay really isn't great for what you do, but the work/life balance and steady scheduling makes up for some of that. It has its highs and lows, but I'd go back honestly. They'll fit you in.

Pros

Sense of belonging, decent people to work with, a great supervisor who works with you and is supportive; definitely the family company culture

Cons

They start you as a temp, starting pay isnt all that great

SCI Direct provides a great place to work and staff is helpful to both customers and team members.

Corporate is very helpful and open to ideas and encourages growth. Locations have a variety of backgrounds and everyone is a team player. SCI Direct locations offer a lot to employees and really serve families while keeping things affordable.

It is all about the money.

No ethics or compassion. Forced to do whatever it takes to get the most from a grieving family. No heart and management is a joke. Empty promises and no support system. Much better service from privately owned venues. Save yourself.

Pros

Free funeral and items at cost

Cons

Filled with liars and theives

Lots of flowers and tears.

A typical day at SCI consisted of being available to help people pre plan or to provide support and a caring shoulder to cry on for those who have suddenly lost a loved one. .

Pros

I was respected for my business ability.

Cons

STRAIGHT COMMISSION!!!!! No cash sales, no contracts, No $$$$$$!!!!

Nice People, No Personal Life

Nice company to work for. They have room for promotions and movement within the company and the staff is amazing. Unfortunately there is no work and home balance. Most days off are spent working. Little to no lunch breaks most weeks. The schedule is exhausting working 8-10 days in a row you end up missing a lot of important family events.

Pros

Great Staff, bonuses

Cons

No Lunch breaks, no days off, no work life balance

Sci

this is an ok place to work, was painted to be a much better picture when hired. Pay is fair, but it is hard in the beginning bc it is 100% commissioned

Cons

Weekend, long hours, comission

Toxic Environment

I went to college to serve clients during one of the most difficult times of their lives. This money-grubbing company, pushed to make their FDs sell sell sell. It’s morally reprehensible. Upper management is so far removed from operations, they don’t have a clue what clients actually need or want. And they certainly don’t listen to the ops team. Good luck taking time off too. Your clients suffer during your absence because the culture is so cutthroat and no teamwork. If it’s not your teammates case, they ain’t touching it! Oh and local management highly discouraged lunch off premises bud expects you to clock out… also, should you or your loved ones die, you only get a discount dependent upon how long you’ve worked for the company. I worked independent for years, and we only had to pay wholesale for merchandise. They will profit off of anyone they can. 0/10 I will never be working here again.

Pros

I cannot think of one.

Cons

Every. Single. Thing.

Top notch company for high quality people

If you don’t want to be the best you can be, SCI is not the place for you…. But if you desire to serve with the best in the industry, SCI is definitely the team you need to be a part of…!

Pros

Industry Leader

Cons

Can be emotionally draining

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Service Corporation International.
Powered byComparably