Service Employees International Union Employee Reviews

Private employment
Community Programs Intern (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 15, 2018
I was employed by a private employer, so this review is irrelevant. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to write the review, and it has to be 150 characters.
Fast paced
COMMUNITY ORGANIZER (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 24, 2018
Very good opportunity to help the community around you. Meeting people and hearing their stories was very inspiring. It easily drove the mobile meetings we had and really showed everyone that joined in, what a community that comes together could accomplish.
Pros
Excellent leader opportunity
Cons
Lots of driving in Tx heat.
Good place to work,
Administrative Organizer (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 17, 2018
Challenging work changing daily and opportunity to train workers and interface with employers, The work is challenging due to the large geographic area of Pennsylvania. Watching people grow is the most enjoyable part of the work.
Best Supervisor
External Union Organizer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 28, 2018
On of the best supervisor in the company,
• Event planner and promote local meetings
• Experience in community mobilization and training
• Explain how people can get involved
• Archive notes from group meeting
• Translation of written materials or spoken interpretation
Great Place to work
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 14, 2018
SEIU was a non-traditional type of job. You traveled extensively and met lots of people. The organization is built on helping people improve their lively hood by empowering them to take a stand for that cause.
Pros
Paid well, benefits, diversity
Cons
Could be stressful, not traditional hours so hard to plan around
Advance place to work educating members
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 5, 2018
It very busy, i leared the different law of the union. Everyone worked together. it's a very deverse enviorment, the hardest part about the job was completing a task at the end of the day, the most fun part of the job was seeing the suprised look on the members face when learning new information.
Pros
President always treat staff to lunch
Cons
Long breaks
Career Counselor/Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2018
Great opportunity to provide career counseling to healthcare workers who are eager to succeed and advance in their careers. It is a rewarding place to work for but the work expectations are high and its difficult to produce the amount desired
A great place to work!!!!!
Full-time Community Organizer (Former Employee) –  MilwaukeeMarch 12, 2018
A good place to work, it's a great organization helping the disenfranchised and marginalized population in Milwaukee county,The organization is doing positive work.
Accounts Payable Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 15, 2018
For the most part, SEIU is an excellent place of employment.
Excellent salary and benefits.
It is a very political organization, so not being a political person, I tried to stay out of the politics of the organization and also of the local representing the staff.
Great working enviorment
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2018
I was an intern who only worked a maximum of 2 hours a day so there isnt much i did. I filed paperwork and performed Data Entry for the paperwork I filed. It was a great internship and it helped me build up the workplace confidence I have today
Pros
short hours
Cons
no breaks, no pay
Good place
OurDC Field Director/Action Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 19, 2018
Good place to work. Good cause to fight for justice on the workplace. Awesome benefits and pay even for domestic partners. LGBQT friendly. Management needs more mangerial training.
Enjoyed working there
Organizer in Training (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CANovember 16, 2017
I want to go back to work for them soon, I enjoyed the travel and being able to help my fellow worker.
I enjoyed meeting new people and knowing that I made a difference in thier lives.
Pros
Great benefits and pay, travel opportunities
Cons
Long hours and time awsy from home
Great benefits
Confidential Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2017
Excellent atmosphere to work in. Great benefits. Great co-workers. Became an expert in expense reimbursement and arranging traveling using the Concur System
Great Benefits
Property Services Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 2, 2017
Great benefits. Health, Dental and Vision provided - plan better that any other company you can find. Great bonuses and longevity pay as well. Great for either entry level or upper management.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Workplace Culture
Exciting opportunity
Clerk/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 19, 2017
It was a good work environment. Friendly coworkers. Knowledgeable management. It was really easy to find my place within the company. I would definitely consider going back.
When I worked there, we were all family.
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 20, 2017
Great place to work overall! The staff at the union believe in equality in every sense of the word. We walked and fought for people that couldn't fight for themselves. This company taught me more than any job I've ever worked. I enjoyed the family atmosphere. The old saying that there's strength in number was a great saying for this company. We were one of the largest unions in the US and we didn't mind getting our hands dirty for a good cause.
Pros
Excellent pay, hours, and benefits.
good benefits but lack of advancement
Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 18, 2017
- great benefits for employees and family but lack of advancement
- great vacation/holiday/sick leave/paternity leave
- stressful at times especially on a Monday and the day after holiday
Excellent work environment
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2017
Employees are passionate about their duties and take the time to teach new comers everything they need to know to become further the cause of the union and represent workers.
Productive and caring working environment.
Community Organizer/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 31, 2017
A typical day at work starts off with a 2 hour team meeting; discussing individual goals as well as team goals. I spoke to as may as 300-plus constituents. It was community organizing as well as social work. I also trained 20 community activist and collaborated different age groups and races to come together as a community.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Travel, flying, and vast opportunities.
Cons
Short breaks
Great pay with a good mission but no balance
Local 99 Senior Internal Organizer/Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 29, 2017
The pay is great, excellent benefits (full employer paid for employee and family), pension and 401k benefits

Long hours, no work life balance(working many weekends and evening,disrespectful inexperienced management and is a toxic work environment

Though you have to have tough skin, if you can handle it for a few years it could give you the experience to get amazing experience for future endeavors (political, negotiations, relationship building, etc). I have seen many colleagues move on to great jobs because of the skills they acquired here.