Service First of Northern California

Working at Service First of Northern California: 15 Reviews

United States15 reviews

People friendly, career minded mngmnt

I've been working here 1yr and couple of months, it's a great place for work.People here are all good and helpful and it's a great place to work if you don't have a lot of experience.

I enjoyed serving, helping and providing services to disabled individuals.

I enjoyed working with Service First of Northern Ca. They offered great benefits however, there was no flexibility. My coworkers there were very supportive to one another. We worked great together.

Service First of Northern California insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job

favorite place of employment

i was comfortable and learned so much awesome knowlage and skills very helpful co workers an great supervisor , i was only part time temp covering for a employee family leave but was the best work enviorment i have expierenced so far.

Pros

everything

Cons

no complaints

Good company

It's nice to work for a company that makes you feel good about what you do. Helping the community and helping the company to grow is great. The employees all get on well as well.

Service First of Northern California

I loved working for this company. They were friendly and made me feel right at home. They help people manage their money. They make sure they follow policy. They treat their clients with respect and pay their bills on time

Iwould recommend this organization to anyone. The atmosphere and management is exceptionally professional. I was able to increase my education and experience.

Pros

Great employees

Very stressful!

case loads are overwhelming a typical day rarely goes as planed.not enough time to do quarterly reports daily contact logs. The supportive living service manager is great and knows the struggles that come with the job. The work place is a hostile environment among coworker and some times even the consumers are combative with the workers

Pros

can sometimes be rewarding

Cons

no time for breaks MUST bill for 7 hours a day

An interesting place to work

It was my first full-time job, which was nice, but the benefits are lackluster, the pay is minimum, and the work you do feels like it should net you a higher pay, if only by a couple of dollars. You also get paid mileage on your car, which you use much of ever day you work. This job requires you to have a certain number of clients who are on SSI, who you assist each day with shopping, cooking, cleaning, driving them to medical appointments, and assisting them with being ale to functionally live on their own, with our assistance, among various other things.

Pros

30 minute lunch breaks, Working independently for the most part

Cons

Minimum benefits, Minimum wage, wear and tear on your car, emotionally draining

Counseled individuals that had DUI and going through court

A bill was passed called prop 36 where individuals were given counseling as oppose to jail time. Many were bi lingual and I would case manage individual

Pros

I loved to see individuasl change their lives

Cons

It was a temporary grant

Very kind hearted people.

Liked being able to help those who can not help themselves. I was happy that, people could not take advantage of my clients any longer.

Pros

Helping people

Cons

Dealing with the abusive people.

Organized in order, like everything should fall into place.

Provide best care to clients who were mentally challenged, or physically handicapped., gave medication, transported clients to and from doctors appointments, cooked, cleaned, bathed, recorded daily actions & functions, moods, etc. What I learned is the daily life of a human being with disabilities with no judgments. the Management was organized and dependable in am and pm time also in emergency times. Co-workers were mostly punctual in ending shifts and considerate in contacting when problems arise. the hardest part of the job is when a client leaves. The most enjoyable time is when we see family interact with the clients on any day, to brighten there smiles and see them loved and cared for.

Pros

Teamwork

Cons

clients leaving

Very fun atmosphere

A typical day at work for me is to enroll new participants, answer phone calls, direct phone lines to appropriate persons, data entry, creating invoices, creating forms, handling all daily duties.

Pros

staff are very nice and helpful

Cons

pay rate and raises

Great work environment with exceptional employees and clients

Service First is a great place to work. This non-profit organization offers a unique service to the community with affordable pricing. We value the consumers and their families.

Pros

Friendly staff and caring management

Cons

No opportunities to move up or receive health benefits

Disorganized

Well I believe the President and Vice-President are pretty awesome people and really do care about the welfare of the population they serve. However my immediate Supervisor was using cocaine while managing the Drug and Alcohol Component and made it very difficult for the one with ethics and did not seem to fit in. Therefore if you cannot prove it while your there and fear losing you job it can be an upset on a daily not knowing what his next move will be. Within a few months of my departure, the Agency sent him to treatment and he eventually left the Company. Personally and professionally I would love to work for the Vice-president again someday because I think she is a fine human being.

Pros

Good experience for someone new in the field

Cons

Random drug testing is not mandatory within staff.

Productive workplace that'll keep you busy and not bored.

A typical work day includes issuing checks to the clients, which include making sure they have food, clothing, and a adequate living arrangements. What I've learned since working here is that each client must pay their shared cost when receiving Social security benefits. Whether a client isn't required to pay rent from their landlord, Social Security Administration requires all clients pay their shared cost. Since it's only one other person in the office with me, I would say we get along very well. We have a great understanding of what must be done and we make sure we prioritize our work by completing the most important tasks first. The hardest part of the job is making sure the clients provide us with any changes that has occurred within their living situations. If we do not have the correct or updated information, then this can delay payments and even cause late fees. The most enjoyable part of the job is completing the "1st of the month checks" two weeks before they need to be done. It's a relief knowing that the most important checks are now done and there's still two weeks before they are even due.

Common questions about Service First of Northern California

Answered by current and former employees at Service First of Northern California

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service First of Northern California. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Service First of Northern California Reviews by Location

Learn about Service First of Northern California in popular locations

• Service First of Northern California
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?