SGS Employee Reviews

Not fun
Sr. Network Administrator / IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 15, 2019
They will pay you well to work there but the price of admission is not worth the show.

The executive level turn over is very high

Not free to make decisions and company culture needs improvement
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Off lease car inspections
Automotive off lease inspector (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 4, 2019
To count damages and repairs on cars that have been returned to the finance companies, so they can assess aftermarket or wholesale value.
The amount of driving is to much. Value of repairs to a personal vehicle, can become unequitable.
Company does expect a certain commitment of money to be spent to be employed there.
Company does provide reimbursement.
Pros
paycheck, employment, benefits.
Cons
Monotony.
Terrible place to work
lab technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 28, 2019
This was by far the worst job I ever had. They hire everyone on as seasonal employees then dangle the potential for permanent employment in front of you while working you to the bone, throwing pizza parties to boost moral. Then they lay off most of the good employees and keep all the buddies that brown-nosed to management (which was super poor, by the way. It felt more like high school gym class then working with actual scientific professionals). They use people as part of their business model, but if you just need a summer job and don't mind working 10-12 hour days and on weekends...then this is probably your gig.
Pros
free moose's tooth
Cons
literally everything
Stay away your wasting your time
Inspector, Auditor, Trainer (Current Employee) –  Rutherford, NJJanuary 10, 2019
Company only cares about bottom line. Management
really dont appreciate you, even though they tell u that all the time. very poor manager. You can make more money driving a taxi.
Pros
Good safety, but i guess so they dont get sued . Pay on time
Cons
Every thing
The worst company I have ever worked for
Auto Inspector (Former Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 15, 2018
Auto inspector...I got very little training. Managers are hired and quit. I think I went through 4 of them. They will run your personal car into the ground. Can't say I made much money because all the expense on my personal car. I was beginning to think to myself, is this a real job or some kind of scam? So many bad things about this company, I could never write them all. Stay away.
Liked My Job , Just Needed More Money Than They Offered
Maritime Petroleum Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Nederland, TXNovember 13, 2018
Very Unorganized Company , To Many Things Going On In Office , Everyone In Everyone's Business Had Issues With Management, Was Sleeping With The Secretary , And Had Clicks In Office
Pros
Meals At Saftey Meetings
Cons
No Room For Advancement, Or Pay Increase
Raises and moving up
Rail (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 9, 2018
Poor management lack of structure...more of a buddy system....its not based off credentials or experience solely off they like you.not the company i thought it was...every site different but the structure the same...
Pros
Hire quickly
Cons
No morale
Bueno .empresa seria y responsable .pago de sueldos en fecha
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Departamento de MontevideoOctober 15, 2018
Buena sería y no hubiera perdido LICITACIÓN si hubiera tenido más contacto con el personal
Pros
Seguro medico
Cons
Poca extracion de gases
SGS was not given the good reports by my supervisor
Family Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  JBER, AKOctober 14, 2018
The leadership at the tbi clinic at JBER hospital did not believe medical providers were necessary for the evaluation of the patients. The total contribution of the medical providers were not adequately evaluated and thus were not communicated to the SGS company and contracting office on the base. Only negative reports were communicated and not positive reports. Unfortunately this resulted in the termination of my position at JBER tbi clinic. I have letters of recommendation from two providers at the clinic .My statement of work duties were always fulfilled and documentation was never over due. This was a very unfortunate circumstance as I greatly enjoyed working with the service members and their families and improving the health and well being in the community.
SGS tried to intervene in a positive way on my behalf but was unsuccessful. Throughout the unfortuneate situation, SGS supported me.
Pros
Communicated well with myself
Cons
4 hour time zone differance was difficult at times
Productivity
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  CairoSeptember 24, 2018
Good Environment and very nice atmosphere at work which can help you focus on your work , and provide you with weekly conference with all SGS team all over the world
gossip and backstabbing
Lab Analyst (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYSeptember 20, 2018
Be careful with the coworkers you share stuff with because they will gossip about your resume, transcripts or personal life wife others. Her name is the similar to Homer Simpson's favorite beer.
Nice work environment
lab technician (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, NJSeptember 14, 2018
SGS is a very loose regulated environment with minimal supervision and a lot of room for improvisation. I had a good work experience however, its what
Need new management
Tankerman (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 7, 2018
Management is terrible. Would have been a decent place to work if not for that. Decent pay and usually decent notification for being on call. Was just asked to go more that could be expected of a person
Pleasant place to work
Mortgage Closer/Funder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2018
SGS is a very busy place to work, nice and very friendly people. However, you need to document things that go on in your department on a daily basis.
Promises that weren't kept, almost no training...
Off lease auto inpector (Former Employee) –  Mid- Atlantic RegionAugust 2, 2018
I was employed as a off lease inspector, after 2 1/2 months of work they furloughed me, with no notice, no comp pay, saying that the work in my area has slowed down too much and I was last hired. Up to that point I had made top 10 producers in the Region the last month of employment, said I was doing well. They make a lot of promises about training ( I had a week of classroom, which was mainly policy, and 2 days of field work with another employee, then was let go to figure it out myself, I was promised TWO WEEKS with a trainer in the field, NOT TWO DAYS...) It was not a good experience for me. The process started in January and ended in June six months of my time wasted!
Pros
working on your own.
Cons
Not enough training. Old equipment that always has issues.
Its not a bad job supervisor makes it bad
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAJuly 19, 2018
Short breaks
Supervisor treat u bad
Its hot as ever u don’t be having water
Cant have your phone to check on family
Get one break n thats a 25 min lunch break
Got to ask to go get water
Got to ask to go to the bathroom
Got to ask to do anything
Cons
Short break only a 25 min break outta 14 hours
Gainful experience
GC Chemist (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXJuly 13, 2018
SGS was the starting point for my career. It was a great experience working for such a company because of all the instruments I was exposed to. I was also able to experience a supervisor role while at SGS.
Work life
Lead Operator (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 26, 2018
Management only thinks of themselves. Learned how to unload and load rail cars. A typical day consist of hurry up and wait. No morale in the work place.
Nothing to say
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 18, 2018
I have nothing to say. I do not feel like management stood up for me as a contractor. The hiring process attempted to be streamlined but there were all sorts of issues.
SGS Review
Invoice Specialist (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXMay 30, 2018
SGS is a wonderful environment to work in. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide the advancement I need at this point in my life where I am ready to embrace my greatest potential in my career path. Management is understanding and friendly daily, I am thankful for their patience and kindness. I have learned so much about the oil industry and I know it will be very helpful no matter what career path I may go down.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight