Shabby Fabrics

Shabby Fabrics insights

Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • General feeling of work happiness

Productive and fun work environment

An upbeat environment, great work mates, and flexible management with demands of life responsibilities. Always something available to do, clear directions, and patient trainers.

Great co workers, love the dogs.

I loved my job at shabby, my experience is in the warehouse and I loved it. All the ladies that work there are welcoming and fun. Be on time and do your job, they will love you. I only left to have and take care of my baby, given the opportunity I will go back to shabby. And if you're a dog lover it's the perfect place.

Pros

Dogs, friendly co workers

Cons

No benefits at that time

Fun Place and Fun People

Shabby Fabrics has been a great place to work and continue to work. They are very flexible and always willing to work with your schedule to make it work within reason. In the time that I have spent working for Shabby Fabrics they have been an amazing company and they have done more than most companies would of even considered. They have grown in my time here and have made some great changes making it a fun environment. There are always projects to do and keep you on your feet moving. The people are great and very nice. This is a great place to work and would suggest working here if you are willing to be on your feet, moving, and mindful of small details. Some days are slower than other, but there are always things to do.

Pros

Fun environment, Close to home, Pto, Some Paid Holidays, 401K, Flexible Schedule, and Full-Time

Cons

No Benefits

See if it's a good fit for you

If you work here, I recommend you stay in the warehouse. It's a busy, fast paced environment where you can listen to music as long as everyone is on task. Working on the other side of the team can be fun and rewarding too but incredibly stressful, cyclical, and even toxic at times. Artists and hard working office staff deserve more competitive pay and acknowledgement for their contributions to the team. The upper management can be difficult to deal with but they are good and well meaning people.All in all can be either a great place to work for a little while or a terrible fit for you depending on who you are. Fast paced and great coworkers. Management is weird. Little flexibility. Oh, and no benefits.

Pros

Fun place to work, fast paced, job security, great people, Pto, potlucks and picnics before COVID

Cons

No benefits, overwhelming workloads, last minute deadlines, can be incredibly stressful, management can be mean

Overall pleasant and rewarding.

My experience here at Shabby Fabrics over the years has been overall positive. I’ve met some really great people along the way and do currently feel very supported in my role here! As other reviewers have mentioned, there are bad days and there are great days. I have found it very helpful to focus more energy on the daily duties of the job and stay out of any drama/personality differences between coworkers. If you come in with a positive mindset and a good work ethic you’ll enjoy working here!! The owner of the company really does care about us all as individuals and positive changes are certainly being made daily and I’m feeling extremely optimistic about the future here!

Pros

Flexible schedule, supportive team, good atmosphere

Cons

No benefits

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

fun workplace, great people

I've been with Shabby Fabrics for over three years now and have experienced lots of positive changes in that time. I'll admit, when I first started it wasn't the healthiest work environment, but just within my first year we made so much progress as a company. There are definitely rough days every now and then, but you get that with any job, so it's not necessarily a deal breaker. It is now a genuinely nice place to work and everyone here is pretty easy going and fun to be around! Plus the owner and management are very understanding and are always there for you if you have questions, concerns, or ideas you want to throw at them.

Pros

401K, Pto, some paid holidays, dogs, nice people, great management

Cons

No benefits, limited parking spots

Great fun place to work

Great place with a fun and caring staff. They care about their employees, which is hard to find anymore. Relaxed environment makes it easy to want to go to work. Supportive team.

Pros

They really care about their employees

Cons

No healthcare

Official response from Shabby Fabrics

February 19, 2021
Thank you for the review - we miss you too! I hope the move to California went well and we wish you all the best!

Easy water bottle fill up

What I loved: I liked the potlucks and the dogs. The water bottle fountain is easy to use and very convenient. Many of my coworkers were nice to work with.

Fast paced environment with potential to grow

Working at Shabby Fabrics has been an overall positive experience for me. I started this job as a kit cutter and over the years have worked into a position in our offices. While hard/focused work is necessary to be successful with this company I have always felt that the culture that the employees have created makes coming to work enjoyable. The company and management has improved significantly over the years but still has room for improvement as with any business.

Pros

Casual dress code, paid breaks, set schedule, Pto, and 401K

Cons

Communication, no health insurance, understaffed

Bad management, toxic culture

The management was truly the worst I've ever experienced. Focusing specifically on the CEO, there was a huge amount of accusatory, belittling, and harsh treatment of employees. She was always the first to throw stones and never once took responsibility for her vile actions or words. The lack of self awareness on the part of management lead to many employees struggling with very valid stress related anxiety and to the company being chronically disorganized. There are a lot of kind and incredibly creative people who come through this company but their spirits and passion are always crushed by the dramatic environment and unsupportive management. If you get an interview at this company pay attention to how much they talk about being a "drama-free workplace". Only dramatic people work that hard to convince others that they are not dramatic. It truly cannot be understated: do not work here if you value your mental health.

Cons

Stressful, dramatic

Fake company

I felt discriminated and torn down. I felt humiliated every day. At first I thought they cared. Then I realized it’s just for the show. I litterally started to think I was stupid. But now I do business, I realized, they honestly are a danger to others. Other ppl have quit because of their negligence. DONT GO HERE.

Pros

Dogs

Verbally Abusive Management

I worked for Shabby for about a year and in that time witnessed the worst management I have ever, and most likely will ever, see in any business. I have no idea how they’re still legally allowed to operate with the blatantly outright abusive behavior towards workers, unhealthy and impractical workplace practices, and the consistent scare tactics used towards employees by upper management. What saddens me is that seeing people walk out or get fired was so commonplace it literally didn’t even bother us a mere few months into my employment. Please do not work here, no money is worth the way this company treats its staff.

Emotionally Draining

This was a high-drama workplace that was seriously lacking in good communication, respect, and professionalism between upper management and everyone else. Some days management could be very sweet, generous, and fun to be around, but often they acted like you had done something terrible and were one small step away from being fired -- but you rarely knew what it was you'd done wrong. During the interview, they led me to believe that benefits were "just around the corner" and would include healthcare and even tuition reimbursement. But years later, I know this still has not happened. There were other promises made that also never came to fruition, but I stuck it out hoping that things would change. They didn't. The workplace culture was tense, as people were fired or quit suddenly rather often, and, again, upper management had a hard time treating people well. There is no formal process for complaints. There was also no review process, so you really never knew how you were doing. I cannot even begin to describe how often I witnessed management be utterly rude, talk trash, and make prejudicial statements about employees, customers, vendors, and others in the industry. No one was immune, not even others in management. It was exhausting. While I enjoyed the actual work I was doing I ultimately left because I realized that I'd been cut down little by little and I couldn't take it anymore. I'm not a sensitive person but the words and actions I witnessed (both directed toward me as well as toward others) still negatively affect me to this day.

Amazing

I loved working here. The friends you make are friends for life. The management and owner are top notch. Loved it here! Unfortunately, it wasn't permanent for the time, but I do want to go back!

I enjoy it here

I have been here for awhile and the working environment is pretty great. People are fun and friendly, and most people work pretty hard as well. It is a mostly women working environment which of course comes with a variety of personalities. They do have a few dogs that come to work everyday which I like. They are friendly and I enjoy seeing them since I can't have pets in my apartment. Management treats everyone fairly and I think they do a pretty good job especially with the workload they are given. This job really isn't that hard, but sometimes when sales are on or if a catalog is released, things are moving at a very quick pace. I enjoy that type of pace, but not everyone does. When this stuff happens however we do come together as a team and get it all done which always feels great when we get it accomplished. I really enjoy my coworkers and the fact that I don't have to worry about not having hours. They always keep you busy so you never have to worry about having work to do. I also love Potluck days. SO much yummy food and its fun socializing with everyone as well. I love my job and always recommend Shabby Fabrics to any of my friends looking for jobs.

Not for me, maybe it will be good for you

It wasn't a good fit for me, but hopefully, it has improved. I would just caution any potential employees to ask a lot of questions and listen to your heart. Good luck on your job hunt!

Not my favorite place

A typical day at work: I clocked in, went into the back room and was assigned to either cutting or folding fabric or assembling kits. I was on my feet all day, which was fine, I expected that (wear comfortable shoes and shirts that don't show any cleavage because that is against the rules!). What I didn't expect was how unhappy my coworkers were, how robotic we were expected to be in production, how dirty the workplace would be (there were dogs running around the warehouse) and how much drama there would be on a daily basis. I'd clock out after my shift and go on with my life. If you can leave your home at home and your work at work, then this is the job for you!

Pros

there is always a ton of work to do so the days go by fast

Cons

no benefits, lots of office drama, unclean workplace

Unprofessional, stressful work place

Shabby Fabrics is a very difficult environment to be in on a daily basis. While there is a lot of talk about being a work "family", the reality is that the workplace is very busy, cluttered, disorganized, unclean and stressful. Also, when I was working there, there were three dogs running all over the building getting hair on the fabric, floors and our clothing. It really just wasn't a professional place. Given my experience working in the warehouse (cutting, folding and assembling kits), I cannot recommend this workplace.

Pros

potlucks

Cons

low pay, no benefits, high stress, gossip, unprofessional, dusty, dirty

High drama workplace

There are a couple of really wonderful people at Shabby Fabrics, but overall, I found the work environment quite toxic. Going to work every day, not sure whether someone was going to get yelled at or fired by management, coupled with the workplace politics and the chronic disorganization within the company for mediocre pay and no benefits were not worth it to me. It kind of surprised me since the owner and manager worked so hard during the interview process to assure us that the opposite was true -- I guess that should have tipped me off.

Pros

potlucks, beautiful fabrics

Cons

drama, no benefits, low pay, high stress

Love working here!

I started working here over 5 years ago. When I started there were about 7 employees. I was hired for customer service but quickly took on many other rolls, as I was able to handle the workload. I was answering all of our emails, answering all of our phone calls, packaging all of our packages, making all of our shipping labels, and more. Each person there wore many different hats and were just as busy if not more busy than myself. We were getting busier, we were growing at a rapid pace, and we now have 35+ employees! I have always been treated fairly, and worked my way up to management - so there is always room to grow within the company especially since we are still growing! They give raises as they are earned rather than on a schedule, which I love. It creates a working environment where those that work hard are rewarded. Everyone seems to get along really well which is why they do hire carefully. We are like family here! We celebrate holidays, birthdays, and company achievements with potlucks or outside events. Every summer we have a family beach party and every winter a Christmas party. Hard work is always expected, and because we are so busy it is a very fast paced environment. If you are not used to working hard but rather sitting at a desk all day, this may seem like a stressful environment. If you love fast paced environments and thrive on challenges, this is definitely the place for you. Management is always supportive and always tries to find the best solution for any problem. Many times they include employees in on the discussion to find the best -

Pros

Great pay, Paid Breaks, Paid Time Off, 401K and match, fun environment, fun events, challenged every day, and so much more!

Cons

No benefits at this time

Fun coworkers, fast paced work environment, great job!

This really is a fun place to work. I enjoyed not only my coworkers but my managers as well. In my position I cut fabric orders and I was also trained on shipping. Many people are cross trained in many other areas too. They get you going on your main position, figure our your strengths, and cross train you in other areas from there. Because of this you do have the chance to move up. Everything we do here is fast paced, so for someone that is lazy and doesn't enjoy a hard days work, this may seem stressful. I however, as an athlete, thrive in this type of environment - just as my coworkers did. Management was always understanding of life and always caring. They were also always fair with any decisions that were made. Many times if something went wrong, or mistakes were being made, rather than coming unglued or reaming our butts, they would have us come together and figure out a better way of doing things to avoid having the mistakes happen in the future. If I hadn't found a position that went along with my degree, I would have happily stayed! I am still friends with some of the girls there and definitely miss the second family I had there.

Pros

Paid breaks, Pto, Potlucks, Family events, friendly staff, compensated well

Cons

no healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shabby Fabrics. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Shabby Fabrics