Shaffer Trucking Employee Reviews

Not payed any detention pay
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 25, 2019
Trainer program is a joke you drive well trainer sleeps no real training involved they will not pay detention sat one day from 7am till 4:30pm because receiver refused delivery wrong product got payed nothing dispatch is a joke every shift change they will not look at previous messages they just start sending questions over the peoplenet that were answered already my fleet manager was the main reason I left would tell me I'd be payed for detention and it would never happen told I would be payed for driving around looking for trailers and never did made more at training pay then driving but still used all my available hours
Pros
They pay for training
Cons
They only pay for training nothing else
They have you 2 or 3 questionares in first two months, im curious though
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 26, 2019
Well at first orientation was ok, A lot of polices and practice stuff. The things that bother me is the junk science behind sleep apnea. So having two passing tests and their MRO agreed that all blood,and my health management. But I was told I need a new test, when I questioned HR Robin about why and she didn't have a clear answer. All she said was she tests everyone, everyone I wondered. So when asks about if I have recourse, like getting another test by my own facility. Guess I was told their company testing is the BEST in the industry, like Snickers satisfies you. I get no incentives on their great dedicated division, only on their OTR. So when you consider doing that, they inform you I will have go to California. Really I've made better money than here,and California runs you can keep.
Pros
Decent equipment, excellent asset manager Carol
Cons
Incentives, change job posting format on their maybe try spreadsheet style
No complaints
Commercial Freight and Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 9, 2019
Great for otr. Up to 55 cpm for 21 days out. 1 day off per every 6 days worked. Health insurance is expensive and covers nothing untill you pay the first $2000 out of pocket. $15 an hour detention pay after the first hour. Equipment is very well kept.
Good Place to Work
Company Driver Refrigerator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 6, 2019
This over all is a good place to work. I was going there as a husband and wife team drivers. we found out that my wife was sick the day we went to start work with them, the doctor that was examining my wife for her per-employment physical found a heart murmur and that could not hire. so I went to work as a single driver. I did not enjoy it as mush because I was used to having my wife with me. They were quick to give me time off when my wife had to have surgery and they were very understanding if my situation. They treated me well
Pros
Great company
Cons
away from home a lot
I love it here!
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 1, 2019
This company really pays you what you're worth, you start off with experienced based pay and its higher than most companies will offer you. (: They are a certified top pay company which doesn't mean much by itself but they really stand by that and offer higher pay than industry standard even for entry-level drivers. They offer mentors and have a facebook page for drivers to ask questions and get to know their colleagues if theyre into that but its not mandatory.

I averaged 2200 - 2800 miles a week and spend more time than I'd like on the dock when i first started working here, once i got past my 90 day with them i was assigned my permanent dispatcher and saw my miles go up to range 2500-3k a week. They really encourage home time here as well, and for every 6 days out you get 1 day home, up to five days home if i remember right. I usually stay out longer personally but they always do their best to get me home on time when its time to go home.

The only thing i DO NOT like is your first year you have no paid vacation so on big holidays you can only go home the day of guaranteed ... example: christmas day youre home but youre not promised any other day surrounding it and are not permitted to take your home time dec 22-jan 3 ... They will however let you take your paid week off on Christmas time after a year of employment, so you only have to put up with this your first Christmas with them. You also get one week unpaid vacation after your first year if i remember right, which i personally intended to use for the fourth of july since thats another one they have home time
  more... blocked on.

Now, since ive said that, i was actually able to get dec 22-26 off my first year with shaffer, after asking my dispatcher nicely to do the best she could for me since in my truck-driving family Christmas is a big deal. She couldn't promise it beforehand but she was able to make it happen for me.

Which brings me to the people! Ive been to companies that go on and on about how theyre one big happy family and never saw it. Here, everyone who shows respect and patience recieves it back x3. The attitude you give is the attitude you get! I love my terminal and the people i work with. I dont get nagged or micromanaged and everyone is casual and respectful. If i lose my temper over a situation (us truckers can be hot-headed after all) i always remind myself that they're not the policy makers and make sure to apologise asap. Although to be real with you, i have had very few occasions to show off my world class temper here.

Lets see here.... the equipment is well-maintained, its easy to get a trailer washout between loads if i need it ( & the company will let u wash the truck every 45 days at a blue beacon on them), I never having to wait between loads for a preplan - i only ever sit if i want to or i run out of hours -....

They have a pet policy for our furr babies, and a rly good passenger policy as well, inverters are 1400, newer trucks come with fridges, older ones can have them installed for $600 which is taken out of your pay in $50 increments i believe, they dont have APUs but they DO have opti-idle, which i like better, you wont need to idle your truck to stay warm/cool ..

Honestly theyre great. You have to order your own prepass but they do pay tolls for you, with $125 advance at the fuel pumps if you need to pay cash tolls (keep the receipt and scan it in with your load). They use peoplenet, the new version, which is really nice. Trucks are currently governed at 62 on the pedal and 65 on cruise, no cameras in the trucks unless youre a "risky" driver... They dont like to put them in if they can help it tbh.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me on twitter if you have it @bbugabooo or just call recruiting, im in truck 39496 for now so if you see me around a truck stop i dont mind answering any questions, im not a recruiter but im thinking of getting into it because i really like it here. I feel like ive found my trucking niche and you can too!
Pros
Benefits, certified top pay, great dispatch, good hometime, pet policy, passenger policy, nice equipment, fridges, inverters, opti-idle
Cons
Lots of time with live loads/unloads spent at docks with reefers, home time on holidays is a pain to get, you have to get your own prepass
Meh
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  New Kensington, PADecember 7, 2018
It was a pretty decent job.. I ran a candy route the entire time, so I had free candy/gum when there was some to hand out.. I was released as part of a layoff.. Would I go back?? Not really..
Not a bad company stayed 10 years.
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  New Kingstown, PAOctober 2, 2018
Shaffer wasn't a bad company to work for but stuff started to get strange when it merged with Crete Carriers. I enjoyed some of the dispatchers and coworkers and am still friends with some.
One of the best trucking companies there is
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  NebraskaFebruary 21, 2018
I loved working for Shaffer Trucking, and would still be there if not for DOT regulations that have me off the road for a year for medical reasons. I usually ran between 2300-3000 miles a week for my full weeks, practical route miles. The pay was great, even before the raise at the first of the year. The terminal personnel were great to deal with and were upset that I was leaving, even though the company was forced to terminate me due to the DOT regulations. I did not live close enough to a company facility to go into an office position, or that would have been an option, though they do want me back after a year if I haven't found something to keep me home. The terminals are nice, with facilities for the drivers to use that make it well worth it to stop there instead of fighting the truck stop crowds for parking when you are needing to shut down for the night when near one. And unlike some companies, they do not force you to go through a "safety lane" where you may lose the load you are under because they find some minor problem that is going to take them several days to fix and it is not necessary to do the work right away.
Pros
Top pay, practical miles, newer equipment with inverters
Cons
Dispatch is sometimes a little slow
Refrigerated Freight Carrier
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  east of mississippiFebruary 5, 2018
Make sure what you and your recruiter agree to, Operations have the authority to make happen, otherwise, all dispatch personnel were professional individuals to work with
Great company
OTR Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 4, 2018
We really enjoyed working their. The pay and benefits were great. The staff was easy to work with and very friendly. They understood if a driver needed just a day off while out on the road.
Pros
Pay, benefits, friendly staff, understanding
Cons
home time
job
CDL (A) Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 16, 2018
it's good job. i dont want to post anything and am just typing to continue to the next part, but yes this was a good place to work while it lasted and thats good.
Inconsistent/low miles
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 26, 2017
Mileage pay is good, but getting enough miles to make it count was always difficult...dispatch and fleet management were apathetic and unresponsive. Payroll and benefits were unreliable - drivers must monitor compensation carefully to ensure proper payment.
Pros
Nothing special
Cons
Care about company numbers, not much for drivers
was not happy with this company
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  New Kingstown, PADecember 9, 2017
I was told that i would have time home then it changed, was told that i would get certain amount of miles per week but only got that many twice in amount of time i worked for them
a great company but they have flaws as any company does
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 9, 2017
dispatched on night an weekends needs improvement . better communication. drivers have enough to dill with as far as traffic an weather conditions but to add more stress an frustration on that do the fact that a dispatcher have no clue in what there doing or just not helpful at all.
Pros
great pay
Cons
low miles
nice
supervisor Ruth Boles (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 26, 2017
nice working place can complain nothing about them my boss was always there when I need it her help like any other job it has it's up's and downs good company
Pros
good pay and co workers
Cons
48 states
Fantastic Company
Over the Road Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NE 68528July 18, 2017
If you dont mind being an over the road trucker, This is the company to work with forever. They are fantastic and always get you home when you need. If it wasn't for family issues I would stay with them
Poorly ran, dont pay for extra stuff.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 4, 2017
Fired for following too close, wanted 4 seconds behind... own cruise control only does 3 seconds... so what do you do?
Give you new trucks but cheapest possable. You have to buy fridge from them, and power inverter from them. So before you start you owe them money. You have to buy a pin lock and backdoor lock that only fits a few of there trailers. Trucks goverend at 62 mph. If you go over 70 down hill, you are called to the carpet
Pros
Sounds like it pays well, but does not.
Cons
Poorly ran, new trucks, but bottom of the line.
Good company. Needs newer trucks
Driver (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLDecember 28, 2016
Just like the title says. Trucks are older and they give you thoghs till they sell the old ones. People are good. Keep you moving.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
Old trucks
Very forgiving and workable
Commercial Driver/Tractor Operator (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 9, 2016
They're a great company to work for. They're very understanding and work hard to make sure that you are constantly moving. I regret very little or nothing at all from working there...
Almost 15 years in great company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Lincoln NebraskaApril 29, 2016
The breakdown Department is so bad it's disgusting it takes hours sometimes if you get a call back on a flat tire God help it if you're broke down on the road and need a motel it could take all night you on hold for hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shaffer Trucking. Our community is ready to answer.