Shaffer Trucking Employee Reviews

One of the best trucking companies there is
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  NebraskaFebruary 21, 2018
I loved working for Shaffer Trucking, and would still be there if not for DOT regulations that have me off the road for a year for medical reasons. I usually ran between 2300-3000 miles a week for my full weeks, practical route miles. The pay was great, even before the raise at the first of the year. The terminal personnel were great to deal with and were upset that I was leaving, even though the company was forced to terminate me due to the DOT regulations. I did not live close enough to a company facility to go into an office position, or that would have been an option, though they do want me back after a year if I haven't found something to keep me home. The terminals are nice, with facilities for the drivers to use that make it well worth it to stop there instead of fighting the truck stop crowds for parking when you are needing to shut down for the night when near one. And unlike some companies, they do not force you to go through a "safety lane" where you may lose the load you are under because they find some minor problem that is going to take them several days to fix and it is not necessary to do the work right away.
Pros
Top pay, practical miles, newer equipment with inverters
Cons
Dispatch is sometimes a little slow
Not a bad company stayed 10 years.
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  New Kingstown, PAOctober 2, 2018
Shaffer wasn't a bad company to work for but stuff started to get strange when it merged with Crete Carriers. I enjoyed some of the dispatchers and coworkers and am still friends with some.
Inconsistent/low miles
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 26, 2017
Mileage pay is good, but getting enough miles to make it count was always difficult...dispatch and fleet management were apathetic and unresponsive. Payroll and benefits were unreliable - drivers must monitor compensation carefully to ensure proper payment.
Pros
Nothing special
Cons
Care about company numbers, not much for drivers
Great company
OTR Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 4, 2018
We really enjoyed working their. The pay and benefits were great. The staff was easy to work with and very friendly. They understood if a driver needed just a day off while out on the road.
Pros
Pay, benefits, friendly staff, understanding
Cons
home time
Can be Great Place to work--Depends on where you live
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 7, 2013
OTR work is long and arduous, but the benefits are many, and you'll see an excellent portion of the highways and byways. The equipment is newer, and sometimes experience helps you decide what you can allow to be dysfunctional so long as safety is first.

I learned that often the Mgmt is NOT receptive to suggestions from their experienced drivers ;-( ...perhaps why I'm not with them any longer.

Co-workers generally give you the heads-up on day2day ops...

Hardest part of the job is dealing with work-arounds on the comm
Enjoyed the smooth dispatch and load planning and ride most of the time I was with them...just a few stick-in-the-mud moments, which can occur in any OTR work arrangement
Pros
Good hometime allowed, Great money when things worked right
Cons
unreliable dispatch, poor management, lousy op-systems
Refrigerated Freight Carrier
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  east of mississippiFebruary 5, 2018
Make sure what you and your recruiter agree to, Operations have the authority to make happen, otherwise, all dispatch personnel were professional individuals to work with
Poorly ran, dont pay for extra stuff.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 4, 2017
Fired for following too close, wanted 4 seconds behind... own cruise control only does 3 seconds... so what do you do?
Give you new trucks but cheapest possable. You have to buy fridge from them, and power inverter from them. So before you start you owe them money. You have to buy a pin lock and backdoor lock that only fits a few of there trailers. Trucks goverend at 62 mph. If you go over 70 down hill, you are called to the carpet
Pros
Sounds like it pays well, but does not.
Cons
Poorly ran, new trucks, but bottom of the line.
Fast-paced, long hours
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Kingstown, PASeptember 10, 2013
As a Customer Service Representative, I was responsible for scheduling freight runs to keep the trucks productive. The days were long and meetings were scheduled after work hours to employees would be available for during the day. Weekends were mandatory. While I enjoyed the travel and experiences of touring the customers' facilities, such as the Hershey chocolate plants, as a single mother at the time, it was not a suitable fit for me.
Pros
Travel, touring production plants
Cons
Long hours, mandatory overtime
job
CDL (A) Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 16, 2018
it's good job. i dont want to post anything and am just typing to continue to the next part, but yes this was a good place to work while it lasted and thats good.
was not happy with this company
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  New Kingstown, PADecember 9, 2017
I was told that i would have time home then it changed, was told that i would get certain amount of miles per week but only got that many twice in amount of time i worked for them
a great company but they have flaws as any company does
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 9, 2017
dispatched on night an weekends needs improvement . better communication. drivers have enough to dill with as far as traffic an weather conditions but to add more stress an frustration on that do the fact that a dispatcher have no clue in what there doing or just not helpful at all.
Pros
great pay
Cons
low miles
Great 1st job with great trainers
Driver (Current Employee) –  Lincoln NebraskaAugust 6, 2015
For someone fresh out of school there is no better place to start your OTR career than Shaffer/Crete. Once your first six months is in the pay jumps and you are on your way. They do not pull any punches, what they say they do and they are a very secure company.
Transportation of goods and services to potential customers
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  New Kingstown, PADecember 2, 2012
I spend most of my time driving on the road. It's a fun job with less supervision. I am a sole truck driver the hardest part of my job was in winter time. I learned from this job how to be patient, good communication skills, and safety.
Pros
bonus and other benefits
Cons
free shower in the terminals
Review
otr driver,dedicated fleet last 7 yrs (Former Employee) –  New Kingstown, PAAugust 6, 2012
very good to work for they leave you alone pretty much good benifits coe workers helpfull. staying out is always the hardest part of any job, driving and equitment up to date.
Pros
they pretty much go out of there way 4 you
Cons
i really cant say
Very forgiving and workable
Commercial Driver/Tractor Operator (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 9, 2016
They're a great company to work for. They're very understanding and work hard to make sure that you are constantly moving. I regret very little or nothing at all from working there...
nice
supervisor Ruth Boles (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 26, 2017
nice working place can complain nothing about them my boss was always there when I need it her help like any other job it has it's up's and downs good company
Pros
good pay and co workers
Cons
48 states
Fantastic Company
Over the Road Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NE 68528July 18, 2017
If you dont mind being an over the road trucker, This is the company to work with forever. They are fantastic and always get you home when you need. If it wasn't for family issues I would stay with them
Solid Company
Driver (Current Employee) –  New Kingstown, PASeptember 29, 2013
Organized company dedicated to employees. Good management team.
Challenging driving position for a fantastic trucking company!
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  New Kingstown, PAAugust 31, 2015
My typical day at work was to receive a dispatch, travel to a location and be loaded by shipper, plan trip for delivery (including miles, fuel, and time), follow company and DOT rules and regulations while transporting freight to a consignee on time and safely! The most enjoyable part of the job was a sense of independence and the hardest was being alone!
Pros
Excellent Dispatch!
Cons
Alone
none debt company that updates equipment regularly
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 16, 2013
stable company that's not indebt to anyone. they try to get you home on time but doesn't always happen. they try to get you home for Christmas I chose not to be home for Christmas.
Pros
company not indebt. they try to keep equipment safe with preventive maintance
Cons
when equipment would breakdown. it may take days to weeks to fit problems

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shaffer Trucking. Our community is ready to answer.