Shake Shack Employee Reviews

Great place to workn
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 24, 2018
If I could of stayed at this job I would of but it was only temporary for me if you can’t work in a fast paced environment this job is not for you if you have attitude this is not for you
Pros
Great management
Stressful and hostile work environment.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2018
Managers did not respect their team members, hot days were even hotter because we had no air conditioner, certain people were difficult to work with and the managers did not give fair work hours to everyone. Some people had other obligations and needed a certain work schedule, instead of accommodating and rearranging ALL schedules, they cut hours back and still did not meet expectations. Management was truly the only reason I did not like working there, they weren't fair, they played favorites and they had no respect for others. The amount of work we did and the treatment we got deserved way more than 13.50 an hour.
Pros
met some nice people.
Cons
management was terrible, hot days were even hotter, we were no treated like equals.
Productive and fun work place.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2018
- Learned how to communicate well with my team members daily.
- Hardest part was closing grill.
- A typical day at work, is coming in excited ready to begin work in a quick pace.
about shake shack
Crewman (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 17, 2018
it was a fast food spot not really into fast food but I enjoy learning how to prep food and putting smile on people faces hard part was putting rite amount on the plate
Crew was great, Management could have been better
Team member (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2018
It was fun trying to learn all of the different stations, The crew was great. Some managers were caring, others just wanted to criticize everything you did. They did want to move people up, but it seemed like they would take their sweet time doing it though.
Pros
60% off meals during your shift
Cons
Managment
Honest truth
Restaurant Team Member (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 13, 2018
I honestly feel like my experience with shake shack would have been better if the mangers where better. It wasn’t the coworker just very poor management.
unorganized franchise
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 13, 2018
SS was fun until the new girls made me out to be a bully, so I ended up resigning. Personally going through too much outside of work to endure the bs*
Pros
some staff members were cool
Cons
bad management, lack of communication, unorganized
fast paced
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 12, 2018
fast paced, entertaining, weekly pay, diversity. Racist general manager, was not very friendly. District manager is his best friend so nothing never changed that was something that was very annoying. The job itself was very self explanatory, not hard at all enjoyed working there and the community of Afro Americans and Hispanic working together and sticking together. Kind of segregated work place though.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
management
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2018
Shake shack is a great place to work at, it is high paced. Everyone learns to work together as a team and communicate. Their goal is Quality and Hospitality.
Fun & Fast Paced Working Environment
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Orange, OHSeptember 5, 2018
Great Co Workers, & Managers. Fast Paced & There Is Never A Dull Moment . The Customer Service Is Great. The People I Work With Aren’t Just Coworkers We Are Actually A Family Inside Of The Shack.
Pros
60% Dining Discount On The Clock
Cons
Sometimes Being Overworked When It’s Busy
mediocre
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 5, 2018
I mean what do you expect working at a fast food joint. the pay was ahead of its time before the minimum wage jumped. the people are alright and everybody doesn't really enjoy their life mainly due to the amount of stress and inconvience working at a fast food restaurant provides
Love
CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 4, 2018
I enjoyed working at Shake Shack. It became more of a family for me and I miss them dearly. The management was so kind and loving to me and everyone else. They TRULY cared about our lives & feelings. Out of my 13 jobs; this was my favorite. Thank you Shake Shack for making my experience incredible!
Pros
Discounted Meals, Great Hours, Good Team Work
Cons
easy and fast-paced but boring job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 31, 2018
very little workplace job advancement in the workplace. the culture is generally positive, although some of the managers are extremely irritating and definitely play favorites. I left because I was consistently being given long offpeak shifts on front of house, essentially leaving me to roam around the floors picking up trays for 10 hours in the middle of the week.
Pros
deeply discounted food
Cons
uncaring managers, short breaks, little advancement
I strive to remain cheerful and positive most of the times at work.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 31, 2018
Effectively communicates expectations.
Excels in facilitating group discussions.
Pros
n/a
Cons
N/a
Great work environment fast paced kitchen
Line Cook/Team Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 29, 2018
Fast paced work environment great vibes, very good place to start work force in the resturant field.I learned proper and outstanding customer service skills.Proper kitchen etiquette
productive
Team Member (Current Employee) –  uesAugust 28, 2018
it is hard work no play but good pay you learn a lot from this company about pace and value. some of the management sucks but its about the team. which there is no I in.
Pros
team
Cons
no free food
Shake Shack Personal Experience
Shack Trainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2018
Working at shake shack was fairly easy after the duties and job tasks were learned. Management was not the best in which can affect job performance.

The job culture was nice, good coworkers but lacked a bit of teamwork in which is EXCRUCIATING for this job. Teamwork comes in handy at the hardest part of the job that are our rush hours. If the team lacks teamwork and communication then we'll fail as group.

What I enjoyed the most was cashiering. Meeting lovely people from all the world and be able to build connections was definitely worth experiencing.
I learned to multitask and cooking at a high pace apon requested
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TNAugust 24, 2018
I had a quick pace job. Prepping and getting food ready was the first task of the day. I cooked after I prepped then after we closed I deeply cleaned the kitchen to have it ready for a inspection at anytime.
Productive and fun workplace
Cross Trainer (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYAugust 21, 2018
I loved this job. If I could get back in i would give them my all. There was ample opportunity for advancement and the crew was a joy to work with. Shake shack definitely created a challenge and that's something that I look for.
Good to eat, not to work.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsAugust 21, 2018
Team members were okay, Managers acted more like unprofessional Team members than Managers. The food was great though. I would recommend the food to anyone who has never been there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shake Shack. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

61out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Shake Shack.

Powered by Comparably