Shake Shack Employee Reviews

Average but excellent
Line Cook, Prep Staff, Bus Staff and Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYDecember 16, 2018
Nothing really good or bad to say about it. I miss it sometimes, and do enjoy visiting. I was told sometime in the near future I could possibly come back, but that ship has sailed.
Pros
Excellent Discount Lunches
Cons
More than wonderful customer service
Team member (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 16, 2018
My time at shack shake was a wonderful experience. I've gotten a chance to meet new people and work with wonderful personalities. Even though there weren't any major problems that I have encounter, however I feel like I have gain a lot of experiences here. I feel that it's time for me to explore new possibilities life for I'm still young.
Pros
Discount on lunch, enjoyed working
Cons
PTO only accumulated to 40 hrs a week, job can be some what exhausting at times.
Locations
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Chestnut Hill, MADecember 12, 2018
Everything depends on which location you work at. Some teams get distracted, others work hard, Management, same deal. Some of them work hard, others just sit around/ Culture also depends on location. The hardest part would be the busy and understaffed days, enjoyable sometimes
great people great pay
Team Member (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Central Valley, NYDecember 10, 2018
very busy, non stop work. great management, good benefits and good career advancements, some of the team members were hard to work with but management always willing to help out
Pros
great location above normal apy
Cons
very very very busy
Fun + hard work but stressful
Line Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYDecember 4, 2018
Pros: Food
Employee discount
Hilarious coworkers
Customers

Cons: back-breaking work especially during closing shifts
Favoritism amongst certain coworkers and mangers is rampant
Stressful("Wait Time"- you have to carry out every single order under 5 min, or else its frowned upon and/or the managers start yelling at you :/
Fast paced but managers get into cliques It feels like High School all over again.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 3, 2018
Feels like High School and managers show favoritism and break off in to little cliques. It started out fun but eventually all your hard work is for nothing because you can't earn more unless you take a test to be a trainer and that's not fair.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Sometimes no break
Horrible management but good food and discounts
Team Member (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2018
This is a great company in terms of amazing food. The food is out of this world. It's quick paced and short breaks. The management is horrible. Managers speak to you as if you mean nothing. Very rude. Favoritism is always heavy in the air
Pros
60% off all food
Cons
Rude managers, short breaks, long hours
Shake shack
Team member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2018
Work environment that is give in that place is not for everyone, have to understand and deal with customers/guests for other countries most of the time. On your feet for most of time working there.
Worked in the airport
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 2, 2018
I worked In jfk airport long hours but we made it and fun work place under staff . The hours are great for pay but it one base schedule. A lot of team work at times when needed but not very understanding
Pros
Promotes within company
Cons
Don’t listen to employees
Flexible schedule
Team Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 23, 2018
The schedule is flexible however the environment is challenging. Most coworkers are under 18 (that should say enough). Lots of gossiping and unprofessional activities from managers and team members.
Pros
Paid time off, flexible scheduling, healthcare if needed.
Cons
Short breaks, culture, management, pay for amount of work done.
shake shack review
Team Member (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2018
Honestly the company isn't a bad company. The thing I will say is bad is the managers that are there some of them are good but some have favoritism and choose to not promote you cause they either hold a grudge or just doesn't really pay attention to your hard work. They say its an equal opportunity work place but it actually not.
Productive and optimistic job
Server (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 18, 2018
It was great, loved my time e there wish my situation could've been better so I could've stayed working there but things happen, overall awesome place.
Its a fun work place for me, must of my co-workers are real down to earth people.
Grill Cook (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJNovember 15, 2018
Working at Shaks Shack is a very good step for a person that looking to do better thing in their life, I think for me right now i need something thats alittle more stable and more compensating. I think that shake shack policy for making more money should be based on your work ethic and not just testing to be a trainer.
Pros
They reconize you for your hard work
Cons
Being a hard worker wont get you more money unless you pass test to become a trainer, but to me that dont make you a hard worker in all cases.
A good job just bad communication and more
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 9, 2018
It was okay but it’s just a lot to work on. I loved going to work and being on time but the managers was not acting like managers and I had to move on too something new
fast paced workplace
Line Cook/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 8, 2018
The employees work well together and have develop friendships in the work area. The managers need to be in the kitchen working with the employees when the lunch rush becomes too hectic. Also the employees should have a fixed amount of money they can use to get lunch instead of a little discount.
Great and fun place with a 70's touch.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 6, 2018
My day begins with the morning shift, which requires to set up and prep for the rush.Sometimes it could be stressful due to the fact of some employees and management could not handle the pressure of the rush, but overall I liked working at shake shack.
Pros
fun enviorment
Cons
cutting hours
Productive workplace but experienced mistreatment
Team Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2018
Be careful and keep things professional even when management chooses to do the opposite.not somewhere i would want to be for more than a year. They arent big on advancement unless it benefits them.
Cons
Bad Management and Unprofessionalism
Very excellent first job
Team Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2018
Have to be opened and determined to learn every station in and out of the kitchen. The more you learn, the better it will be and easier to move up. Gets easier when you ask all the right questions.
Pros
Can meet great co-workers
Cons
Unpredictable, lack of care at times
my experience at shake shack
Crewmember (Former Employee) –  691 theatre districtOctober 30, 2018
My experience at Shake Shack was unpleasant. The environment was very stressful. I often left work very drained and annoyed. The people I worked with were friendly, but the manager was very disrespectful and racist.
Pros
60% off your meals and they give you hours
Cons
the workers acted like they were in high school still
Great company, but hate working with high schoolers
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 26, 2018
Shake shack is a great company to work for as long as you can handle working with high schoolers. There is plenty of opportunity for advancement. Company standards are fair, and the pay is great for fast food.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shake Shack. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Shake Shack.

Powered by Comparably