Shake Shack Employee Reviews

fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJune 24, 2019
They take the time to train you thoroughly, it is a very high level of energy, it is a fun and interesting work environment, they will compliment your hard work
Fun place to work if culture is maintained.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 21, 2019
Shake Shack is a great place to work if employees buy into the culture. Moving up into higher management from within the company takes several years, which can be discouraging.
Pros
Events, opportunity to travel, fun place to work
Cons
Lack of opportunity to grow within the company, high turnover
Workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 20, 2019
Very fast paced and they don’t really care too much about their employees based on my experience which is why I didnt work there long. Managers were a bit unprofessional
The Worst place to work .
Team Member (Former Employee) –  170 Flatbush Ave, New YorkJune 16, 2019
Working at shake shack was good at first until managers showed their true colors they are very unprofessional. An they don’t care about their employees well being even if your sick really bad an u have paid time off they will keep pushing you to come in to work an use that to threaten your position at the job
productive , fun place to work
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 15, 2019
Shake shack is a fun place to work . You also meet a lot of people from the kitchen to the hundreds of customers that come in everyday. You can work on cold side , hot side , back of the house ( dishes ) , front of the house ( guest ) , or cash register .
fun environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 13, 2019
While working at Shake Shack its very fast paced especially at half time.The most enjoyable time is break time because there burgers are so good and juicy.
Team Environnment
Team Member and Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2019
Enjoyed all of my time working at various Shack locations and always found a welcoming, hardworking team that motivated me to be the best worker I could be every day.
Pros
Nice food discounts, Friendly managers/supes, fun team
Cons
Parking, no tips
A decent first job/Good job for students
Certified Cross Trainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2019
This is a good job for college students, a side job, or as a first job but DO NOT plan on staying there long term unless you want to become a general manager (there's no real security there though). The actual job isn't hard or stressful, if you have a good trainer you will be taught how to properly make burgers, fries, shakes and attend to your guest. It gets stressful when management starts hiring people just because they need more people aka hiring lazy people, people who show that they don't care about the job/helping their team members, and when your manager starts guilt tripping you for various reasons. It get's difficult once you see managers come and go as in general managers and assistant general managers leave/get fired. As times passed I've encountered managers sleeping with team members, managers "jokingly" telling their college employees to quit college to work there full time, and crude comments from them. If you choose to work at Shake Shack do not let any manager "bully" or persuade you into doing something you don't want to do. Do your job as best as you can, don't get caught up in work drama (the drama within this company is insane and I've worked at one location quit and went to another one and I seen the same drama going on just with different faces) and go home. They also treat pregnant employees TERRIBLE, I've witness 4 pregnant employees be over worked and not get frequent breaks as they are suppose to. It's insane, just get hired get promoted and go to the next job because the people at one does not care about anyone.The only plus is that you might meet  more... some really cool people and make lasting friendships with them.  less
Pros
Weekly Pay, Easily pick up hours, Can be fun
Cons
Stress, Extremely rude guest, overworked, Managers
Good place to start and gain experience.
Bus Person/ Host (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 4, 2019
As long as you work hard and want the hours, this is a good place to start off. Management is constantly changing , be prepared for rushes before and after events.
Pros
Discounted food, weekly pay.
Cons
Short 10 minute breaks if less than 8 hours.
Shack OG
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 3, 2019
I’ve been at Shake Shack in Seattle since we opened in September 2018 so I am considered an OG of the shack but to make a long story short Everything is alright besides management and Pay raises ... since I’ve been here for 9 months busting my butt it would be amazing to get a 50 cent raise and get acknowledged when I’m doing hard work , it’s like our mangers want us to pull shifts but there’s no respect shown from the mangers either that’s why we are also short staffed we went from 70 people in September to less than 29 crew
Pros
Good crew members only 60% food discount
Cons
No more free meals, Lack of crew members, no respect from management, no pay raises, Schedule confusion
Horrible Management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Del Mar, CAMay 29, 2019
I worked at the Del Mar location for about 3 months and I am in the most bit surprised of how horrible Shake Shack is to work at. The managers tell you to do anything they want, even dirty work for other people there, and then sit in the office on their laptop all day long. The hours in the beginning were super good, since the restaurant had just opened, but then after about a month they cut everybody’s hours to 3 hour shifts per day. The managers have no idea how to run a restaurant and constantly lagged and messed up paychecks and schedules, taking all the way up until the day before to put a schedule out and having no exceptions for plans already made. Not to mention that they played favorites to whoever kissed their butt the most.
Pros
Discounts, Coworkers
Cons
Poor management, Labor intensive, Horrible scheduling.
what you learned
Anything (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 28, 2019
i like shake shack i have learned alot there such as gril, shakes, sandwiches making i have improved in my customer skills i was always shy when it came to talking to guest .
Not worth your time
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 28, 2019
This job is not for someone who has adult bills. They hire you as full time but you barely get 20-25 hours. Management sucks, everyone wants to be a boss no one wants to be a leader.
Work place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 26, 2019
It's pretty chill job just make sure you do your job and you really dont have to worry bout a manager just dont seem like you have nothing to do at all
Not what you think
Trainer/Server Cross Trainer New Store Opener (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 23, 2019
After Spending two and a half years with the company starting as a team member, the company sucks. You aren’t considered as an adult with respect but as a child stuck in class. The management lacked experience in leadership. The lack of communication is clear through the operation. As a Cross Trainer with experience I consistently undermined and lacked the confidence in management to get things done.
I love shake a great place and friendly people's like me
HMS Host (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 23, 2019
I love shake shack to because they have really good food I love that when l eat out side .and I like to meet good people's coming from every where I would like to work there again.
Pros
30 minutes
Cons
15 minutes
Good people
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMay 22, 2019
I love being there every single time im schedules to work and i also appreciate every manager
The atmosphere is wonderful i grill most of the Because i can control close
Shake SHack
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 22, 2019
I loved this job. You can be trained in any station with no experience what so ever. The hours are great and the staff are all friendly. The company makes the job fun and exciting to work as a team.
Fun Place to work at
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 22, 2019
Had really great experience with the management. They really care for their employees. Will work with your schedule and needs. Great opportunities to learn and be better.
Pros
Food discounts, good pay
Productive in the kitchen
Expo (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 21, 2019
Helping each other out in the kitchen, using communication skills. The place gets really packed at times and it is important that everyone is moving around doing something because orders pass or people can be waiting on there. Always be on time with everything and try your best always doing something to help out.
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shake Shack. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight