Shake Shack Employee Reviews

fun fast paced working environment
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2019
Love working at shake shack
The most enjoyable part about the job is the staff in general.
Working at shake shack its very important to keep communication going throughout the shift.
Pros
discounts on lunch, paid time off
Very fast pace. Communication always needs to be high while in the kitchen. It’s cool because you get to meet many different types of people.
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 27, 2019
I like working here at shake shack because it’s fast pace, and you get to meet many different types of people. Only thing is that the management has trouble scheduling people in a way that people don’t have to go on break so early, and the shift is usually short staffed.
Pros
60% off of lunch
Cons
Short breaks, No breaks if You work 6 hours or less
shake shack
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJanuary 26, 2019
It was a Great place always Had Busy Good Food it can be a little rough but you will work with a good team so you will be fine You will Have to move around Cook cashier clean
Pros
free lunch
Cons
good brings and tips
Unorganized
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDJanuary 25, 2019
this is the last i would ever recommend anyone to work because the managers are rude, unorganized. You bearly get any hours especially if you are traveling far the hours are not worth it. oh yeah they like to pick and choose.
Good work place for kids in highschool
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 25, 2019
Its a great place they give you PTO and benefits pretty early on. The pay is a lot better than other fast food/ casual dinning places and there's room to grow within the company.
Fast food
Line Cook / Porter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2019
Fast paced environment with young managers learning as we go culture was cool since we all was entry level hardest part was just learning every ingredient other than it was a great learning experience.
Pros
n/a
Cons
low pay
Great job if you love food, people, and dogs.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJanuary 22, 2019
I have experienced some of my best times in costumer service at shake shack. They stick to their company policy, they genuinely care about their employees. They take time out to make sure you are happy in the company and they push the opportunity for you to advance in the company. They also have charity events for Animal shelters as well as treats and menu items for people and their Dogs.
If you love food, costumer service and making a difference in someones day. This is the place for you!
Pros
Discounted food, Healthcare benefits, P.T.O, Etc.
Great for college students
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 22, 2019
Close work environment which provides for friendly fast paced work environment the location I was at was the “Flagship” location located in the center of a park so sometimes hours and varied and work either slowed or picked up drastically
Co-workers were very friendly
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 21, 2019
Met a lot of new people long lasting friendships. Management wasn’t that not neccisarly the shift leaders but the General Manager was weird I’m not sure what it was.
Pros
60% discount
Cons
quick and fast, but stressful as well
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2019
You have to keep up with a lot of things going on there. It builds a strong sense of responsibility and structure. but you have to have the endurance to push through
Pros
good job
Cons
Has a potential to be a fun environment
Team member, Cook/ cashier/ prep/ host (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYJanuary 17, 2019
When I first started working there, it was my first job and a great place to begin. Once the management changed, the environment grew toxic. Time management, as well as scheduling, grew unmanaged. It was as though nothing was enough for the manager, and this was with everyone working there. The fire rate became higher than ever, as well as the number of people that began to leave. Other than the management the job culture has great potential when the right person is in management. The environment when the particular general manager wasn't around was great, everyone would be focused, but still, my coworkers and I would have a good time. The job also provided me with many life skills, such as time management, multitasking, and social skills.
Pros
60% off one meal per shift
Cons
Short breaks, poor management
Team Member
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Century City, CAJanuary 15, 2019
A lot of hard work in a very busy environment. I would recommend working at another restaurant where you can get tipped and easily make 20 an hour. You will also encounter a lot of rude customers.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
low wages, rude manager
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 10, 2019
From working at Shake Shack, I have realized that not anyone is cut out to be a manager as my experience with certain managers at Shake Shack was really unpleasant.
Fun work area and very fast paced.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 10, 2019
Very friendly and motivated environment. Had alot of coworkers that made my day go by good. The hours arent a lot at all and 10 dollars an hour doesn't support a family.
Pros
50% off foods, managers tried to help you as much as possible.
Cons
Shift managers make it impossible to work in that fast paced environment.
Fun place to work.
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDJanuary 6, 2019
It was a okay place to work... my location was at the MGM CASINO so the closing hours was different, depending on weather or not it was a SHOW that night.
Pros
%75 of meals!
Cons
Closing hours are RIDICULOUS!
Shake Shack
Stocking, Griller, Greet and meet (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 6, 2019
Shake shack is an good atmosphere, fast pace engectic restaurant. The hardest part on the job is when it get pack, and it no where to sit or walk. But we gotta make sure we keep every guests happy and make them feel like they at home.
Pros
Free Refill, %60 discount on food
Cons
When it slow.
good job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Orange, OHJanuary 5, 2019
cool job to start out with especially if its your first job too, i enjoy working and making new friends at working there and great benefits to move up in the company
Very stressful environment
Team member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 22, 2018
Management is very disrespectful and rude. They spend most of their time belittling their employees. Managers find any reason to yell at you and fire you. Not the type of environment to help you move up. They expect you to work hard but can’t even make sure your check comes out properly. My first check I was getting paid 6 cents an hour. How does a company this big make a mistake like that. When it came time for my second check it didn’t come on time. Shake shack could be a good place to work at they just need better management. We are all human there’s no reason for the kind of treatment they give to their workers. If your looking for a steady paycheck this is not the place for you. Your checks will consistently be messed up. You will also get fired for the littlest things. You will get oils burns if your working on the grill from the oils popping and they will not care. When it comes to this job just know your worth at the end of the day cause the way they speak to people is sad.
Good environment, career opportunities
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 19, 2018
It was a good environment and family oriented. There were meetings every day before and after work. It was definitely a place to grow and to travel to work at different locations was the norm.
Average but excellent
Line Cook, Prep Staff, Bus Staff and Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYDecember 16, 2018
Nothing really good or bad to say about it. I miss it sometimes, and do enjoy visiting. I was told sometime in the near future I could possibly come back, but that ship has sailed.
Pros
Excellent Discount Lunches
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shake Shack. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Shake Shack.

Powered by Comparably