Shake Shack Employee Reviews

Productive and fun home feeling place
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Orange, OHMarch 11, 2019
I Really Love Working There Sometime It May Be Hard But I Really Like It , it feel like you around a crazy but lovable family and you have good time and bad but mostly good
Pros
Discounts friendly
Cons
Real fast
It’s okay
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 9, 2019
I actually did not like shake shack . I was always on the grill the pay was coo for the time being but not to be slaving over no grill all day when we are supposed to change stations .
Was good until the GMs real personality showed.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2019
When SS River North first opened it was great .
After about 6 months it became stressful and about how fast you could kiss butt and move uo to trainer .
Pros
Payday on Wednesday
Cons
Short breaks incredibly bad management.
Ehh
Team Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 27, 2019
Shake Shack it self wasn't bad. I just feel like the location i was placed was absolutely horrible . The management was disgusting and wasn't something i could take any longer.
Pros
Not Sure
Cons
Tiring, stressful
great
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOFebruary 27, 2019
It was overall a great place to work. It has great opportunities to travel and advance your position in the company. It was stressful at times because of how popular the restaurant was but other than that it was a great job and work experience.
Pros
Discounts on food was 60%. Often times managers would comp food. Great employee benefits
Cons
Long work days especially when closing. Didn't always get breaks
Great place to bring in your whole family enjoy a nice lemonade,our famous bacon cheese fries and can’t forget our most burger sales our shackburger
Trainer/Server (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 25, 2019
A typical day at shake starts of 9 am our few employees opens the store a trainer,manager and staff crew.Start off by prepping lettuce,tomatoes,pickles etc...we will run custard (ice cream)two flavors vanilla and chocolate,will make bacon that we need for the next four hours,stock every station to start our day at 11am.A normal day at shack it will normally be busy between 12-2 depending on the seasons or any events we held at the shake shack.We have a big team to hold us down durning our morning shifts,managers are always helping out and making sure we have a smooth day and are as comfortable as we can be.
Interesting job
N/A (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2019
A day at work includes working many different stations. Sometimes it will be only four people in the kitchen with you working an entire side by yourself while your managers are in the office. Most days during the period between holidays are very slow at my location. Other locations i've heard are constantly busy.
When you work here you have to learn every station but, over a period of time. They do expect you to have one station perfected in a month or you are supposed to be terminated or so i have heard. But most people are good at learning a station quickly, it's not difficult but it is a lot to take in.
At this location the workplace is toxic. We are supposed to be supportive and helpful of one another but most times you get an attitude and an unwillingness to help. People here act like teenagers(some are actually teens) but most are full grown adults with children and they act like they are still in high school even the managers with the exception of one manager.
Management here is terrible. A certain manager will treat specific team members better then others. If you are a certain type of person they will take advantage of you. Most of the time they will make fun of you or find some way or another. One manager is the most unprofessional manager there. In fact the entire management team is mostly disorganized. They all talk about communication is key but most often then not, they are not on the same page. The managers do things differently then what the head manager expects which results in team members getting in trouble when it isn't their fault. Its ridiculous.
The
  more... hardest part of the job isn't the guests it's dealing with lack of communication, constantly being made to do one thing then turn around in the middle stop what you are doing and do another because the manager is indecisive and loves to make your job difficult . (i'm not joking)
The job is enjoyable at first but after a few weeks but it's very demanding.
Pros
Free food up to 11.00 and after you still get a 60% discount, flexible hours, chances to move up
Cons
unprofessional management, toxic environment, everyone and i mean EVERYONE speaks about unprofessional things on the daily, most team members cut corners, demanding work environment
produtive work place fast paced and good customer service
shacktrainer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 22, 2019
I would go to my assigned station which was hot side of the kitchen where I had to prepare for my shift and restocked area where I cooked food and maintained a clean work station
Pros
60% discount
Cons
bad management
Ehhh
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, NYFebruary 22, 2019
It’s a good job to work if you like to work extremely hard with no real credit towards it. Favoritism is extremely high which sucks cause if you don’t have it you’ll get fired real quick . Now if you do have it you can get up to 13 right ups and still be good so make sure you get all the favoritism . We even used to call it a “ Slave Shack “ because they expect you to work 1000 times harder than usual & if your not feeling good they don’t let you go with a free day your getting a write up even with a doctors note. You also only get 30 min breaks which also sucks when you have to run to the food court or wherever wait on a line then come back to the shack half your break is already gone . Just a bad job to work at .
Pros
The coworkers are usually pretty cool
Cons
Everything else
Expected one person to do a 3 person job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 20, 2019
When I left I was washing dishes stocking the from and had to talk to customers and keep tables clean it was a very busy day and I’m one person I didn’t have any help and when I didn’t do the job the way they wanted me too I got yelled at and sent home for a “bad attitude” when really what they were asking was impossible especially since being in the lobby with the customers is suppose to be the managers job.
busy workplace with multicultural experience and a fooseball table
Fast Food Worker (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 20, 2019
Shake Shack to me was a very fun but serious work place. We always tried to keep the good energy up in the building always check on the customers and made sure their orders where correct and precise. My bosses where the most fun and hard working people that i learned from and they always told their coworkers they could be just like them with hard work and dedication.

Mc'donalds was a familiar experience to Shake Shack but the grill was different and the bun station as well but it was basically the same process.
Very Stubborn With Hours
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20024February 10, 2019
They don't give you enough hours, and if you work too many hours they send you home or tell you not to come in. They never follow their policies or guidelines, they don't care much for their staff. The managers have favorites and show favoritism.
Interesting work place
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAFebruary 10, 2019
The Job culture wasn't all that great. Management played favoritism a lot and didn't give credit where credit was due. There would be few times where it felt like everyone worked together
Best Job!!
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJFebruary 9, 2019
Best job I ever had. Just apply and experience the hospitality yourself. You will not be disappointed. The opportunities are endless. Traveling to different parts of the world. Training New Shack Openings. If you enjoy traveling this is the job for you. Plus your promotions you do yourself.
Cons
Busy work place keeps you moving
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 8, 2019
Shake shack In Mall of America was the first one In MN , They got some really good burgers and everything is made fresh & natural Including the lemonade freshly squeezed , I would suggest anybody to work here and I would also suggest anybody to try a Shack burger as well, but make sure you ask for it WELL DONE every burger that's served there is Medium rare .
Pros
Discount on the food
Cons
Had to stand on my feet a long period of time
Very well first job it was fun working under management team that I had .
Team member (Former Employee) –  Midtown eastFebruary 3, 2019
Working with shake shack was a great experience.Working for the shake was my first job and I loved washing dishes.I had to work my way up to become the best but I am competitive and loved all the challenges
Don't waste your time
Team Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2019
Not a good place to work at at all. very poor management very
unorganized never want you to go further in Shake Shack, to many
people doing faviortism mess, lack of hours not enough pay,
the managers get into cliques like we are in high school, people
gossip about other people, managers are very sneaky they like
to cut off your hours, they don't care if you sick our have a doctors
appointment they still want you to come in.. i would never tell anyone to apply to this job, because is just not worth it to settle for
a little bit of money.. like its to much drama.. also people like to
snitch on one another like we in grade school i got so much to say,
because it's not right at all like you doing all these hours and i am
gonna get paid less and not going to proud of the hard work i do?
no way never going to waste time
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks, poor managment
Great place to start
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  8520 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90069February 3, 2019
Shake Shack is a great place to be your first time job. It was a very nice and friendly environment, however the stress can get a bit intense at times, specifically on busier days. In my particular store we were very busy and had little to no space for our breaks. so we would get cramped walking past each other and sitting on the floor sometimes to eat our food. The hardest part is dealing with annoying guests.
Pros
Friendly and simple job
Cons
productive and fun work place
Cook/ Store training (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 1, 2019
a typical day at shake is coming in at your shift time clock in and check to see where your work station for the day will be and just get ready to start your day. most days they are busy but overall if everyone works together things go smooth i learned that team work and communicating is key. management can be a little better. the staffs are multi culture work place people from all over works there which also makes the job fun because you learn different languages. the hardest part of the job is people calling out from work and the most enjoyable part is everyone is like family we love each other and support one another
Pros
eat a whole meal for about 4 dollars
Cons
supervisor
fun fast paced working environment
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2019
Love working at shake shack
The most enjoyable part about the job is the staff in general.
Working at shake shack its very important to keep communication going throughout the shift.
Pros
discounts on lunch, paid time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shake Shack. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Shake Shack.

Powered by Comparably