Shalom House Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
SHARP Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 11, 2018
If you like dealing with people and helping them, mentoring them then this is the place for you. The women need all sorts of help and enjoy conversation. You take them to Career Builders at the Educational Center and they work on getting themselves jobs. This job is very rewarding and fulfilling as you "see" the difference you make in a persons life.
Pros
you can see the difference you make
Cons
sometimes you are sad. as the world is just not kind to everyone.
Agency dedicated to mental health
Community Integration Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEAugust 11, 2018
This is a wonderful company, I learned so much in my time here. This would be a perfect place if you are comfortable in your job and don't want to move to other positions. There is little incentive to grow and learn, not much support to move up. There is some new management that was difficult to adjust to, but the staff I worked with was amazing.
Pros
Paid lunch, Pto, benefits
Cons
billing
Fun
Externship (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 6, 2018
this was a Place I got my on hand training when I attended SOME So Others Might Eat program. Its a School that helps people get basic skill in trades so u can find a place to work
Ability to grow, change lives, and feel satisfied
Assistant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 19, 2016
I started as a per diem Residential Support Worker and was promoted five times throughout the company, ending as an Assistant Program Coordinator. This job always has new opportunities and new clientele to work with, from long-term housing, transitional housing, or intensive community treatment programs. This job has high intrinsic value as you see clients come to your program from the hospital or the shelter and end up developing enough insight, life skills, and knowledge of their medications to live independently successfully. The rehabilitation philosophy of Shalom House is something to strive for.
An exciting, people oriented work environment.
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 29, 2016
Shalom House Inc. provides an exciting, people oriented work environment. It is a solution based organization that brings out the best in it's employees and it's clients.
Pros
Good people.
i think they let me go to save money rather than for safety
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 14, 2015
i would really have not like left there but the staff there did away with my position i really was not really too happy ....
Shalom house is a place where they give people with mild to severe mental disorders/ disabilities counseling and subsidized housing
and other services and my job was to be a pt/ pd receptionist
Pros
took care of problems as best the best they could
Cons
not very good time management
A great place to start when transitioning into the healthcare field.
Habilitation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 21, 2015
I love being a caregiver. My day would begin with helping a loved one with bathing, grooming, and dressing. I may also help with other personal care tasks like getting to and from the bathroom. I've learned no matter what age or race, everyone needs a hand sometimes, and not all needs are the same. I love my co-workers at Shalom House. They are always kind and informative.
Pros
I love that the hours are flexible.
Cons
Management could take a little more time out of their work day to meet the needs of their emplees.
Difficult place to live
client (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEJuly 17, 2015
I lived in this program for the course of six (6) months. This program was too strict. You had literally no freedom with anything. You're always supervised, and you had to tell the staff members everywhere you were going.
Important work but lousy pay
Housing Placement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 23, 2015
There's no getting around it, there's not much money in social work. I loved working with the clients (which the company insists you refer to as "consumers"), but the rest of the situation leaves much to be desired.
Pros
Doing good in the world
Cons
Doesn't pay
Well meaning workplace working beyond their means
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 10, 2015
Overall, Shalom House is a good company who means well but lacks the resources to make a meaningful difference. Most of the clinicians are directly out of college and are given caseloads beyond their abilities. The agency lacks funds so employees are paid far less than they are worth. The clientele is one of the most difficult anywhere to work with and the administration often allows them to continue problematic behavior because they feel that everyone can be helped immediately. If you work here, prepare to be verbally abused by clients regularly.

However, my colleagues at Shalom House were overwhelmingly positive people with strong work ethics. The Program Director makes you feel heard and helps you address seemingly unsolvable problems.
Pros
Positive colleagues, feeling "heard" by the administration, flexible scheduling
Cons
Verbal Abuse by residents, ridiculously low pay, high stress, inexperienced colleagues
Helping Clients with daily activiity was interesting
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2014
I think SOME offers employees and clients the benefit of returning to a productive life style
Pros
SOME will feed you
Cons
Being in a environment that had bed bugs
non productive and bias management/leadership
Substance Abuse Specialist/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 9, 2014
Leadership struggled with their ability at turn over rate down and employee morale up
supper place to recieve on hands training
Externship Site (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 6, 2013
great place to learn new skills also employment is offered to those who desire employment with benefits.
Pros
the company has a series of property
Good teamwork approach.
Community Rehabilitation Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 3, 2013
Enjoyed working with clients and saw the value of my work. Coworkers were/are good people. Many fun and validating work experiences and relationships. The worst parts of the job were the inequality in pay. HR would not give pay scale of position I was in and there were rumors that others in my same position without a degree received my same pay rate when they first started at SH. I was there for 8.5 years. Also, there was definitely favoritism as certain coworkers got away with breaking policies with seemingly no consequences where others would be written up for the same mistakes. It was subtle and understated, but some workers with longevity were well aware it existed.
Learned a lot about The state medicare system
Residential Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 26, 2012
At first Shalom was a good Place to work the clients were older females. Adapting to lives that included varying degrees of schziophrenia.
I was transffered to a house with a population of middle aged males. Documentation and paperwork was in disarray. Supervisory positions changed 5 times in 1 year. I decided to leave the company.
Pros
rewarding work helping homeless
Cons
poor supervision