Shane Company Employee Reviews

Weekend working is awful
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COApril 2, 2019
They have Great benefits. Management doesn’t value employees. Big turnover. On your feet all day. Sometimes you don’t even get lunches. Great employee discount.
Wonderful Company
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MN 55305March 15, 2019
The company communicates well with its employees and treats them fairly. You know what expectations the company has of you and will guide you if you are not meeting the expectations.
Great people, stressful job.
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAMarch 12, 2019
Just like any job, it comes with it’s ups and downs. Question is however, how many downs can you take before you break. You have to be strong willed and minded to deal with the stress of this job if you want to work at a sales associate level. Everyone is expendable, especially if you are not hitting your sales goal regardless of how well you do everything else the job requires.
Pros
Company outings, sometimes provided free meals, monthly bonus payouts
Cons
Highly stressful work environment, non commission but they do push for sales
Great people, good pay, excellent training for sales team
Diamond Consultant (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COFebruary 26, 2019
I have worked with the Shane Company for some time now and can say for a fact that my store managers and team members are some of the most fantastic people I have worked with in my life.

The company does provide a lot of perks too. There are good insurance benefits along with quite a few catered lunches during the holidays, there are sometimes group outings after work, like to bowling or a Rockies game on Labor Day.

Employees are very thoroughly trained in jewelry care, diamonds, colored stones, and how to recognize repair needs.

They also provide a lot of sales feedback to develop you into an amazing sales person.

If there was a criticism or concern to share it would be this:

There have been several people either let go, or resigned from the company at a corporate and store level recently with little explanation from Home Office about the perceived instability we are seeing.

Add to this the problem with guaranteeing lunches and breaks on busy weekends. (which is against the law in Colorado) the fact that this is very mentally demanding and draining work, and that the work life balance is nearly non existent, you end up with a very mixed bag of positives and negatives.

I love the company and believe that we are the best place to buy jewelry, but sometimes they push too hard and want you to believe the perks make it ok.

The perks are great, but so is time with my family and time to eat lunch.
Pros
Insurance, Decent pay, Bonuses, Team, Development
Cons
Work life balance, Pressure to sell, Not Transparent, Breaks not always given as legally required
Always someone looking over your back and critisizing you. Always standing.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAFebruary 25, 2019
A lot of favoritism from management team. They don't let you use your skills they want you to do everything their way. They are always watching and listening to you.
Pros
Free lunch sometimes
Cons
Have to stand all day. Cant take breaks to often
Good company
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 20, 2018
It was one of my favorite jobs but the work life balance could be hard at time because it is retail.
They are very understanding and flexible. There is a family environment.
Poorly managed,
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CODecember 3, 2018
Management was hard core, never seemed to be able to do anything right, very demeaning to employees. Turn over was very high and culture was negative, the sales people were treated nicely and the back office poorly.
Worst work environment I've ever experienced
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood WASeptember 16, 2018
Way beyond micromanagement. Everything you say and everything you do is monitored. It must be what it's like to live in North Korea. Unscrupulous management, cut throat sales environment, unreasonable demands on sales staff.
Pros
You'll learn a lot about jewelry
Cons
Management, hours, working environment.
Working for the Diamond store
Network Manager and Senior System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 27, 2018
It was a great atmosphere. We were able to manage the expansion of 8 stores. Implemented a new Point of Sale System. Launch a new website and build a distribution site. I learned may things while working for Shane Co. such as Microsoft Exchange, DNS/DHCP, SMS and Desktops support.
Pros
Discounted sales
Great company. Yet little options for promotion.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 14, 2018
I have been with Shane Co for a year and a half. Its a fantastic company overall. The management is terrific. They truly care about you here along with your future. Whether it be with them or with another company. They make it clear that they want you to grow successfully with them and at any point if you feel as though its time to move on to another company for a better opportunity; they want you to do that. They take pride in training, molding and grooming you into an incredible and well rounded person and employee. If you are week in a particular area, they coach you on it. And they will even say......" You need to work on such and such if your wanting to move on and be successful in pursuing your goals with such and such position/company".
They are aware that I want to move closer to my hometown back in Arkansas. Yet they continue to coach and mold me because they want me to be a great employee within any organization; NOT JUST THEIRS. Working for this company has been an honor and a blessing. I think for the position I am in my pay is pretty competitive. Their benefits are some of the best I have had and available for ALL FULL TIME employees along with a decent match with their 401k program. Their home office is in Denver, CO and they are great at posting weekly available positions if you are willing to either move to Colorado and work for the Home Office or if there is a position you would like but it hasnt been available at the store you are located, you can apply and transfer to one of our other 22 locations across the country. I would recommend this company
  more... to anyone whom is interested.  less
Pros
Management, benefits, training
Cons
Salary
Very fast paced
Customer Service Associate 1 (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAAugust 12, 2018
Stressful, you have a lot that you have to handle and you handle very expensive merchandise on a daily basis. There are large amounts of cash handling and you have to take sales over the phone if no sales associates are available.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Unreliable schedules
Little Opportunity for Growth
DIAMOND CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 6, 2018
I enjoyed learning about diamonds and jewelry but I found very little opportunity for growth. Management hired managers from outside of the company rather than from within. Huge turn over of management and employees. Management discouraged employees from forming friendships and hanging out after work.
Pros
They will teach you how to sell.
Cons
No opportunity for growth
A company that cares
Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COJuly 31, 2018
Shane Co is a company that cares about their employees. They take time every month to work on the culture and teach the employees strategies that they can use in both their professional and personal lives. They also take one day a month to do a company sponsored event.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
health benifits
disappointment
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CAJuly 8, 2018
It was good and bad. The moral was a bit low because of the managers. I did my best averaging 100k a month. Because of my skills and personality I prevailed.
Productive and fun work place
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 2, 2018
Colleagues are nice and we getting along well. I have fun to be a team player for three and a half years
I have learned that must report / speak up / update the info with the supervisor that relate to Customer services , relate to work pace environment. I provided a good communication with on phone customers or in person in store customers, you got hear their comments of our services as well as products / jewelries they bought.
Pros
Free bareakfast every Sasturday for meeting/stragy how how communication/sale products
Cons
There are no cons
Positive enviroment
Desktop/remote Technical Support-Contract (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COApril 15, 2018
Good Management, good training, wonderful benefits. They treated employees with respect. Good breaks and lunch. Very caring team. You were rewarded constantly for good work.
Pros
wonderful benefits
Cons
contract job for the holidays
Great opportunity
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 26, 2018
Shane company is a great place to work. They are good with keeping up with the trends and taking care of the team. Also, great selection of jewelry for the customer!
Pros
Fair
Love my fellow Shane Co Employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNMarch 19, 2018
I believed in this company and everything it stood for. I always and still do believe it is the best place to buy Jewelry. But something has changed and I believe it has happened in the higher management level. They no longer appreciate the hard work and dedication of there tenure employees. It is no longer the Shane Company that I once loved.
Pros
Loved all the people I worked with.
Cons
Poor Regional and store management with no accountability .
Small Company, Small Minds
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Walnut CreekMarch 14, 2018
This review is primarily from a viewpoint in the SF Bay Area.

Shane Co. is a small, family owned business ran by the Ol' Boys Club. The whole executive team started years ago, and very knowledgable, but the retail store operations still carries this Chapter 11 chip on their shoulders. Frankly, retail stores are all SALES first, PEOPLE second.

The stores are divided into two departments: Sales and Operations (which is customer service & Jewelers).

Within the Sales department are Assistant Managers and Sales Associates. All sales associates start training with product knowledge, then selling skills. Lunch is provided for all New Hires First Day. It's okay if you don't get the product knowledge down, because what they're really looking for is how you connect with customers. Sales associates make the most in the store, and are put on a pedestal. They even have an annual award for sales associate of the year who goes on a trip. Their sales are driven by their aggressive sales tactics. Every sale is under a microscope. An assistant manager is always listening to every sale in case the Sales Associate misses anything. So make sure your numbers are always up there.

For Customer Service, an entirely different experience. Customer Service Associates are paid LESS, but deal with twice the amount of work. They process all inventories, incoming/outgoing shipments, shop jobs, shop work flow/turn around, quality control, and Customer Service Issues. Attention to detail is key - if you make one mistake, consider it your scarlet letter! And, quite frankly, it's a known double-standard.
  more... If a Sales Associate were to make the mistake, it's a slap on the wrist, and "let's try harder".

For Management, thinking about moving up? Quit while you're ahead! With every promotion I got, it seemed as if I was making less! Managers are paid salary, but expected to always be available, 24/7, SIX DAYS A WEEK. No work life balance, high expectation. This place is great if you're young and single.
Pros
Free Lunch, Discount
Cons
Poor Management, No Work-Life Balance, Poor Wage
Amazing Company
Service Desk Analyst III, System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 11, 2018
I worked for Shane co till the end of 2017. you are constantly learning new technologies and you work with people i would not consider colleagues, I considered them friends and am still in commiseration with several of them. This is a team environment and it didnt geel like I was even going to work that day. It was amazing
Pros
management, compensation, growth
Cons
There really arent any

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shane Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight