Shane Company Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work place
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 2, 2018
Colleagues are nice and we getting along well. I have fun to be a team player for three and a half years
I have learned that must report / speak up / update the info with the supervisor that relate to Customer services , relate to work pace environment. I provided a good communication with on phone customers or in person in store customers, you got hear their comments of our services as well as products / jewelries they bought.
Pros
Free bareakfast every Sasturday for meeting/stragy how how communication/sale products
Cons
There are no cons
Positive enviroment
Desktop/remote Technical Support-Contract (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COApril 15, 2018
Good Management, good training, wonderful benefits. They treated employees with respect. Good breaks and lunch. Very caring team. You were rewarded constantly for good work.
Pros
wonderful benefits
Cons
contract job for the holidays
Great opportunity
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 26, 2018
Shane company is a great place to work. They are good with keeping up with the trends and taking care of the team. Also, great selection of jewelry for the customer!
Pros
Fair
Love my fellow Shane Co Employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNMarch 19, 2018
I believed in this company and everything it stood for. I always and still do believe it is the best place to buy Jewelry. But something has changed and I believe it has happened in the higher management level. They no longer appreciate the hard work and dedication of there tenure employees. It is no longer the Shane Company that I once loved.
Pros
Loved all the people I worked with.
Cons
Poor Regional and store management with no accountability .
Small Company, Small Minds
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Walnut CreekMarch 14, 2018
This review is primarily from a viewpoint in the SF Bay Area.

Shane Co. is a small, family owned business ran by the Ol' Boys Club. The whole executive team started years ago, and very knowledgable, but the retail store operations still carries this Chapter 11 chip on their shoulders. Frankly, retail stores are all SALES first, PEOPLE second.

The stores are divided into two departments: Sales and Operations (which is customer service & Jewelers).

Within the Sales department are Assistant Managers and Sales Associates. All sales associates start training with product knowledge, then selling skills. Lunch is provided for all New Hires First Day. It's okay if you don't get the product knowledge down, because what they're really looking for is how you connect with customers. Sales associates make the most in the store, and are put on a pedestal. They even have an annual award for sales associate of the year who goes on a trip. Their sales are driven by their aggressive sales tactics. Every sale is under a microscope. An assistant manager is always listening to every sale in case the Sales Associate misses anything. So make sure your numbers are always up there.

For Customer Service, an entirely different experience. Customer Service Associates are paid LESS, but deal with twice the amount of work. They process all inventories, incoming/outgoing shipments, shop jobs, shop work flow/turn around, quality control, and Customer Service Issues. Attention to detail is key - if you make one mistake, consider it your scarlet letter! And, quite frankly, it's a known double-standard.
  more... If a Sales Associate were to make the mistake, it's a slap on the wrist, and "let's try harder".

For Management, thinking about moving up? Quit while you're ahead! With every promotion I got, it seemed as if I was making less! Managers are paid salary, but expected to always be available, 24/7, SIX DAYS A WEEK. No work life balance, high expectation. This place is great if you're young and single.
Pros
Free Lunch, Discount
Cons
Poor Management, No Work-Life Balance, Poor Wage
Amazing Company
Service Desk Analyst III, System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 11, 2018
I worked for Shane co till the end of 2017. you are constantly learning new technologies and you work with people i would not consider colleagues, I considered them friends and am still in commiseration with several of them. This is a team environment and it didnt geel like I was even going to work that day. It was amazing
Pros
management, compensation, growth
Cons
There really arent any
Company integrity is superb.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMarch 4, 2018
Proud to have worked for the company. Customer satisfaction is driven by the owner as the number 1 priority over sales. Quality of the merchandise is very good for the cost.
Pros
Integrity of Management. Quality of merchandise.
Cons
Retail hours include weekends and nights and pay is low.
Not worth it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORFebruary 13, 2018
Extreme favoritism, unprofessional atmosphere. Management team does not take any responsibility for the actions that take place in the store. They don’t respond well to constructive feedback and fail to look for ways to better themselves as managers. They pit employees against each other and create a hostile work environment. They like to make you feel that you could lose your job at any moment.
Pros
Fun co-workers, pays well, nice benefits, customers are fun
Cons
Toxic management team, sick time is accrued but discouraged, ridiculous micromanagement, lack of work life balance
Great and supportive work environment
Marketing Assistant (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 9, 2018
Everyone was really friendly and fun to work with. They really stand behind their product and emphasize the need to educate and provide outstanding customer service to their clientele. Very transparent company with strong values
Pros
Wonderful employee focused environment
Cons
Difficult to secure full time position
Good family company
Director of SAP Retail Systems (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 5, 2018
Its a good family business with great people to work with. Corporate offices are in a great location. Lots of room to learn and grow. Nice work life balance depending on department. A lot is done for employees.
An awesome place to work until it's not....
Customer Service Associate (CSA) (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CAFebruary 2, 2018
Working at Shane Co was an amazing experience at first. I felt valued and was promoted shortly after joining the team. The moral and energy was great. Downside is that it is a very close team, and management has a tendency to perpetuate gossip.

For me, overtime the management team became overly critical and negative about my performance, and were reluctant to provide guidance and coaching outside of disciplinary meetings. They claimed that they were harder on me in order to develop me for promotion. However this scrutiny lacked the option to grow, it was purely focused on attacking my character and restricting what could do and say. When they found out that I was looking for another job they attempted to back into a corner for termination. I decided to part ways with Shane Company because of the poor management. I don't regret working at the Shane Company, I learned a lot about leadership and management. Especially what bad management looks and acts like.

Ultimately, I would recommend working at the Shane Company, however, I would recommend, if you do, remain vigilant and speak up, go to HR and tell them whats going on. That or, Just work somewhere else!
Pros
free lunches, positive attitudes, decent pay, good job
Cons
weekends required, gossipy, high turnover, high stress
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 17, 2018
Good place to work and meet good people to work with the pay was good and really enjoyed the company atmosphere. I learned a lot about sales from the company.
Pros
Good pay
Poor Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORJanuary 7, 2018
Great pay, however, very stressful environment and poor management. There is favoritism, and hard work is only rewarded if you are one of the favorites.
Pros
pay, hours
Cons
management
Management Training needed
Fine Diamond Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GANovember 8, 2017
Worked for the company over 4 years ago so things may have changed. I would say that more time spent with training the management team would be beneficial. While you do not work on commission, you are rewarded by your sales in other ways. You do have goals that are set monthly. This creates a cherry picking type environment that usually comes with comission sales jobs. Get to know your coworkers. that will help.
Pros
Money
Cons
Sales
Diverse & Fun Company To Work For
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 7, 2017
I very much enjoyed my time at Shane Company. It was nice to get dressed up everyday, meet new people and practice new sales tactics. I have no regrets about working here. I learned a lot.
Pros
Glamorous, Booming Industry & Fun Environment
Cons
Sometimes the position is not exactly what you're planning on at first
Great job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COOctober 19, 2017
The job is a little stressful but if you work hard and stay focused on making the customers happy, you will do great. The pay is great and all the employees are amazing.
Pros
Good pay and flexible schedule
Cons
Stressful at times
Not a pleasant place to work
Diamond Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 3, 2017
Management lacked communication. Training was not made a priority. Never got out on time. They will work you until you can not work anymore. Other things are more important then their employees training. Really felt as management always tried to cut corners especially store manager.
Pros
free lunch first day, good discount
Cons
hours, short breaks on weekends, poor training.
Workplace Culture
DIAMOND CONSULTANT/ MIT (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 28, 2017
At first the culture is amazing. Hours aren't too bad. Pay is great for retail. After being there for a while, I noticed that my management was under a lot of pressure and stress. That stress lead to treating the sales associate a little more harshly. Hours started getting longer. Business slowed down. Management has a serious lack of communication among each other.
Pros
hourly rate, benefits
Cons
management, lack of communication
Sales associate/diamond specialist (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CASeptember 21, 2017
shane co is a good place o work if you like team sales
i was able to sale competitively but i didnt enjoy having to watch for signals from other associates or managers to turn over the sale to someone else. if i start a sale i complete the sale.
N/a
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COSeptember 18, 2017
The corporate portion of this company tries to implement good best practices and company culture. The unfortunate part of working here is the management team on staff and the way customer service associates are treated and paid. We are expected to take on more and more work w/ less pay to supplement a lack of ability to staff the store with no compensation or thought to how we are to fulfill our current job responsibilities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shane Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight