Shangri-La Employee Reviews

The company seems confused at times as to its mission.
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport, ORJune 3, 2019
Management continually referred to the home as a 'Treatment' home, but was listed as a 'Transitional Housing' program. There was no treatment offered, only mental health and ADLs. Transition was not happening as most residents lived there for a decade or more.
Pros
Good, caring staff.
Cons
Weak management.
Lack of Structure and Resources
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Albany, ORMarch 27, 2019
As a mental health support specialist in a residential treatment home setting. No employee support. No opportunities for advancement. Hostile work environment due to social cliches.
Cons
no breaks
Good
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 22, 2019
My typical day was providing supports for individuals with disabilities in a group setting. I learned to coach individuals to give them job skills and taught financial IQ. Management was consistent as they could when trying to deal with the budget. The workplace culture, support specialist are on there own out in the community, so you have to be on your feet, able to handle behaviors, and be able to community at every cognitive level. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was making connections with the individuals.
Pros
made lunches
Cons
no breaks
Shangri-La is a great place to work.
Employment Specialist/Job Developer (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 22, 2019
I have loved my job for years however the lack of growth opportunity and pay advancement has forced me to look for a better job. I can honestly say if I was able to grow more I would be more than happy to stay.
Nice culture, great place to work.
Mental Health Housing Manager (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 21, 2019
Excellent place to work if you enjoy providing support to individuals in need. Fairly decent pay and opportunities to advance. Flexible schedules and relief options.
Good first job
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OR 97391February 19, 2019
This was my first job out of high school. I learned a lot about work ethics at this job. My manager was patient as I learned my job. I was promoted as I gained new skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was the culture and comradery with the crew members. The hardest part of the job was the noise level.
Pros
Job Coaches
Cons
Very noisy environment
fun place to work.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blue Springs, MOFebruary 11, 2019
i have been there off & on for quite a few years. fun place to work, majority of people their are very friendly. residents are definitely worth coming to work on a daily basis for. like every place, pay could increase but over all i loved it there
Pros
residents & staff
Cons
pay is decent, but it could be more
Life changing job!
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 22, 2019
Love interacting with the people served!! Lasting memories...they are wonderful people. Management isn't always the best. I loved my manager before she got put into a different position, this last manager was not right for the job and made working with her miserable. My coworkers however were wonderful!! If it wasn't for the manager I would still be working there.
Pros
Lasting memories with people served
Cons
Some management is not good
Love Working
Behavior Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 4, 2018
They have a variety of jobs available, Great company to work for, they care about their staff and work with them to make you feel comfortable. Give excellent support to accommodate employees and find the perfect match.
Starter Job ONLY
Production Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 7, 2018
In my tenure with Shangri-La I was employed in two different departments. The first was closed down after many years in business. The second department was new and did not have good leadership. To say that they did not know what they were doing was an understatement.

This is a great company to get you feet wet in the non profit I/DD services field, BUT... If you are looking for longevity, growth within the company and good management you are looking in the wrong place.

The Youth & Family Svcs Dept is the worst with cutbacks happening every two years due to a serious lack of planning from Management.

Bottom Line: If you have any self respect you should stay clear. They will suck you dry of energy, emotion and time.
Pros
none worth mentioning
Cons
poor management, no growth, low pay
Good place to start
Support Trainer (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 13, 2018
Great place for young adults to start, and the pay is good in the beginning. However it tops out quickly and soon you're a senior staff making not much more than the newest staff.
Not the best place to work due to management
Hotel lead security (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 23, 2018
Unfortunately my experience was very tough working there due to management and poor communications throughout the hotel staff there was work when I needed but is soon as I could find something else I had to leave
Cons
To much drama
Non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of those with disabilities.
Mental Health Lead Worker (Current Employee) –  Newport, ORJuly 15, 2018
Staff is responsible for safety and well-being of residents.Knowledge of community resources to assist residents in managing their benefits, health care etc.Medication is dispensed.Documentation has to be accurate.
Pros
Helping other people achieve their goals.
Cons
Not paid well enough for what employees do.
Daily opportunity for personal and professional growth
MENTAL HEALTH FACILITY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 12, 2018
Shangri-La is a non-profit who's mission is to empower and support persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities and persons who struggle with mental health issues, to reach their highest potential.

This allows those who work with these individuals to reach goals of their own. It fosters a rewarding atmosphere as you are part of supporting persons in their own success.

You are challenged daily to problem-solve, seek resources that best assist and support those with whom you are charged.
Pros
Personal and professional growth
Cons
Sometimes those we serve have no impulse control and can be aggressive
Na
Direct Support Staff (DSS) (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 30, 2018
Working for shangri-la was the best experience i ever had in a work envirionment.. They are very understanding and easy to work with and the people are mazing
Pros
the pople who Shangri-la basically works for
Cons
Hours
Fun, enriching lives of others
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 24, 2018
I enjoy my job because of the individuals I support. It's amazing to bring happiness to others. Very fulfilled job. I would recommend this job to others
Pros
Fun
Cons
Advancement
fun place to work for
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 17, 2018
fast paced took care of 1 older lady. meal prep, cook, housekeeping, good company to work for always there for you feels like a family there for you.d
Pros
taking care of people
Cons
stressful
Unprofessional and full of disrespectful employees.
Dietary (Former Employee) –  Blue Springs, MOApril 2, 2018
There is a lot of arguing and gossiping which can be stressful for someone who is just there to work and go home.

The management is very unprofessional, you are not aloud to put a two weeks notice in without being terminated on the spot because of it.

The hardest part of the job was trying to please the people in management no matter ho hard you try there will always be something that you are not doing correctly.

The most enjoyable part were the residents, they were really nice people.
Pros
Fair pay for the position of dishwasher.
Cons
No recognition for hardwork, Always displeased
I would have stayed there forever had it not been for the impractical changes in management and policies.
Support Trainer / Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 22, 2018
It felt as though the atmosphere and pace of this job were designed personally for me. It is just unfortunate that upper management decided to disagree with one another, resulting in the hiring of dishonest and irrational housing managers. This is why many of us left.
Pros
The pace, the team workers, the variety of duties and fairness
Cons
The changes erased all of the pros except for the teamwork
have to like the job to do it well
Mental Health Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  salem,oregonFebruary 21, 2018
had bad co-workers who weren't supportive and management didn't do anything about it. Bad pay. should say direct care in its job duties. residents are very unstable and can be very verbal abusive. ended up quitting because couldn't deal with it anymore. a lot of turnover and burnout. can't keep employees at where I worked and now they have gone as far as upping the wage and including a bonus if you stay 6 months because nobody wants to work there after they have given it a try.
Pros
free food
Cons
breaks? no support from co-workers, have to be very carefull with meds

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shangri-La. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.0InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.6Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight