Shari's Cafe and Pies Employee Reviews

managment
Server (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, ID 83402May 17, 2018
The restaurant and most of the management were ok to work for but there were some things there that were to competitive and there were some of the management that made no since about things they did or said.
sharis
ASSISNTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 3, 2018
sharis is a good place to work
You will be on your feet for most of your shift
management is really great
the hardest part is how long you are on your feet
It Pays To Be Friendly
Restaurant Server (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORApril 21, 2018
You never get bored working here. The place is pretty hopping all the time and they have you running constantly. It was a little intimidating at first, but a good experience.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Lots of employee drama
Hard work gets you nothing thrpugh this. Company
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORApril 21, 2018
Working here sucked management doesn't care about anything and the only benefit you get is sick pay-and regardless of how many sick hour you earn the company will only pay for 40 a year and keep the rest
Pros
Too many hours
Cons
No respect
Stresfull environment with a lack of comunication
CEO ( corporate executive officer) (Current Employee) –  Redmond, ORApril 18, 2018
The lack of comunication and inballences between the resturaunt and the corporate side have caused sharis to suffer for the last 15 years. Corporate fails to understand the actual necessities of a resturaunt and would instead cut any availible corner to turn a higher profit. This leads to a team that lacks the proper supllies or training and ability. I would be surprised if tge company lasts another 10 years
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks, poor managment
Teamwork is great here
Equipment Operator, dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 10, 2018
Slow management, people call in a lot, schedule is pretty much changes daily, stressed out co-workers, can be pushed into staying longer, respect is 0 from management
Pros
30% off meals
Cons
Low pay for hours
Cut throat location
Overnight line cook, stock, prep (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORApril 9, 2018
I loved my job when I was allowed to work alone, I had a problem being the most experienced cook in the kitchen with the least credit given for my hard work any time I complained they just gave me a raise and never fixed the issues at hand, equipment was outdated for prep, knives were never sharpened and misused, brought my own equipment for fear of getting hurt on the provided equipment.... manager was never involved with the issues on the line, the customers and sales were more Important than keeping the crew and staff happy.
Pros
paid sick time, bonus for inspections
Cons
poor management, untrained staff
I enjoy my co-workers and immediate management
Server (Current Employee) –  Keizer, ORApril 5, 2018
I truly enjoy working with the majority of my coworkers, they make our shifts together very fun.
It would be most helpful if the corporate office gave us some support in regards to large parties that come in and being able to add gratuity to their check to protect the server who is taking care of them.
Our immediate general manager, is one of the best managers I have worked for, and always know he has our backs.
Pros
good co-workers, good food
Cons
corporate doesn't care about it's staff
SOme Good Some Bad
Cook (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR 97223March 11, 2018
Shari's is just like any other corporation. Your experience there will depend on the manager and co-workers at the location you are working at. You may be the happiest worker ever, or you may hate every moment of your job. As a cook it is hard to work up in the company so if you are going for management some day, start as a server.
Great place for pies
Manager (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 11, 2018
A company with lots of potential.
Great Pies. Free lunch for management and back of the house staff. Best hamburgers in the northwest. Very sophisticated training program.
No life for managment
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  West 11th eugene oregonMarch 9, 2018
When your a sharis assistant manager you work more than the general manager. You work very late nights dealing with tweekers and other criminals every night. You are always stressing on how to cover the massive amount off call ins. Also if you cant, your covering the shift which turns your 10 to 12 hour day into a 15 hour day. The pay is not attractive for the long hours and holidays you work. You could work there for a year get a raise then they will hire a new manager at a wage same as yours but not even give you an increase? Its a job for a single person who has nothing better to do than work all night sleep wake up. Work sleep. Wake up. Over and over. Oh also if you have no supervisors or a second assistant manager you cant even use your vacation time so its just there never being used.
Pros
Free food managment training
Cons
Lonely long hours so much stress holiday wok
it wasn't amazing and it wasn't awful
Server/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 4, 2018
I learned a lot while working at Shari's. It was wonderful to work there and I enjoying working with my co workers. The management wasn't the greatest when I left but I've heard that's changed now.
productive
Host/DMO (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAMarch 3, 2018
Sharis was a good first job because it really showed me how to prioritize on what needs to be done first or last at a job, also gave me my first customer service experience
Fun
Dmo (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 24, 2018
Good working environment but the hours were not ideal.i didnt enjoy workimg graveyard and then working mornings right after. I left because i had a better opportunity with lesser commute.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Only part time
Upper Level Management
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Bluff, CAFebruary 24, 2018
The work atmosphere was great in the late 90s and then a massive upper-level management change which lowered the moral of all employed and followed guidelines that did not make sense in the restaurant world.
a decent resturant
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Shoreline, WAFebruary 23, 2018
I worked as a hostess here and it was ok, nothing super special about this place but it wasn't bad either. I learned basic hosting skills and how to work a register.
Great place if you like super slow paced then fast paced
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 23, 2018
Usually the day would start out super slow to the point you want to go home, and then it would pick up way too much and would get stuck there past your shift. As a host, it was a lot of standing around and making/restocking pies. The customers are usually pretty nice. The orientation/training you have to go through is absolutely boring. If you do a god job and are 21 or older, they will promote you from host to server quickly. The managers and coworkers were all nice enough.
Pros
50% off certain foods, health insurance, good pay
Cons
Work holidays without holiday pay, short hours
clean and exciting workplace
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAFebruary 23, 2018
I often was the only waiter on my shift. The first two hours of my shift had one cook, a manager, 1-2 other waiter/ waitresses, and me. It was never really very busy during my shift and the management was always kind and helpful when I needed them. I learned how to bus tables, take orders, and serve. The hardest part of the job was dealing with intoxicated customers that didn't want to be denied more alcohol. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people in a different environment than my usually fast food jobs.
Pros
free dinner and tips
Cons
can't think of any
Good people work at shari's once you get used to it the people are very kind and understanding.
DMO (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAFebruary 22, 2018
Shari's was exactly what i expected just another restaurant fast paced long as i did well and kept up, even helped out the cooks time to time. i learned that if i did better than the other dishwashers they would likely call me in on my days off when someone would call in sick so more money for me.
Slightly frustrating, but with a few really great people
Server (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 15, 2018
I usually work the graveyard shift (10pm to 6am), and I must have my work checked off by the incoming shift in the morning, but sometimes it can take up to an hour for this to be completed. This problem is with only one person, who hsa been a server for more than a decade and is super picky. When I pointed out that I was a student and had to leave by a certain time to get enough sleep and to get homework done, I was greeted with bewildered looks and sarcasm by one of the managers and the problem server. The other managers and servers that I work with at night always have my back and work as a team, however, so I still enjoy that part of the job.
Pros
Free lunch for graveyard server, 50% discount on lunch for other shifts
Cons
Lack of breaks for servers in slightly busy periods