Shari's Cafe and Pies Employee Reviews

It is an okay place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 6, 2018
Your typical short order restaurant. One can make most items on the menu at home with tastier results. Things are pretty organized for the most part. Just wish the managers would actually learn how to cook well enough before offering to help when you get slammed, because they just slow you down. Also, I wish the main manager kept his word when it comes to raises or advancement.
Pros
Camaraderie, free shift meal
Cons
Disposable towels instead of cotton. Lack of overall accountability.
Productivity of the workplace at Sheris
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAAugust 30, 2018
it was a typical day working at Sheri's, and that i feel that i could have done better but working at Sheri's was all new too me and that i think i should have studied they're menu setup instead of going off what i know of a menu setup. management was flexible for me and working for me but i was too stubborn to follow they're menu setup. the workplace culture was a good environment to work at. the hardest part of working at Sheri's was trying to keep up with the orders of the food and multitasking. the most enjoyable part of working there was getting the free food.
SHARI'S is an amazing company to work for.
Assistant Manager/Server (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, OR 97070November 24, 2018
SHARI'S has a very thorough training program for all job codes when they are being utilized and there is Management follow through and constant communication. The staff are friendly, welcoming and incredibly inviting always with a greeting and a smile.
Pros
Always opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Lack of communication and completed training.
Poor
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 3, 2019
The work life balance, focus on numbers is not a bad thing but development of team and managers is not a top priority within the culture, having a defined program to track the development and accountability would help increase their overall performance exponentially.
Pros
Gm is all mornings
Cons
No real growth opportunity
Great training programs
General Manager, Trainer (Former Employee) –  OregonOctober 17, 2018
I enjoyed my time there, but took an offer for a higher paying job with more advancement. I can't stress enough how good their training programs are, especially for management. Although I already had several years of experience, I learned quite a bit while going through their corporate program.
Pros
Excellent training
Fast paced, family friendly and enjoyable restaurant atmosphere.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORSeptember 30, 2018
As a 24-hour restaurant the menu was extensive with a variety of food choices. Most of the servers had fun working together, making management fun and easy.
Pros
Straight forward company to work for.
Cons
Management hours were salary and on several occasions I worked 16 hour shifts.
Cut throat location
Overnight line cook, stock, prep (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORApril 9, 2018
I loved my job when I was allowed to work alone, I had a problem being the most experienced cook in the kitchen with the least credit given for my hard work any time I complained they just gave me a raise and never fixed the issues at hand, equipment was outdated for prep, knives were never sharpened and misused, brought my own equipment for fear of getting hurt on the provided equipment.... manager was never involved with the issues on the line, the customers and sales were more Important than keeping the crew and staff happy.
Pros
paid sick time, bonus for inspections
Cons
poor management, untrained staff
No life for managment
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  West 11th eugene oregonMarch 9, 2018
When your a sharis assistant manager you work more than the general manager. You work very late nights dealing with tweekers and other criminals every night. You are always stressing on how to cover the massive amount off call ins. Also if you cant, your covering the shift which turns your 10 to 12 hour day into a 15 hour day. The pay is not attractive for the long hours and holidays you work. You could work there for a year get a raise then they will hire a new manager at a wage same as yours but not even give you an increase? Its a job for a single person who has nothing better to do than work all night sleep wake up. Work sleep. Wake up. Over and over. Oh also if you have no supervisors or a second assistant manager you cant even use your vacation time so its just there never being used.
Pros
Free food managment training
Cons
Lonely long hours so much stress holiday wok
Worst Place I’ve ever worked!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 30, 2018
If your looking to work like a slave this is the right place. Way under staffed, long hours, untrained staff and the worst upper management I’ve ever seen.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this company is a con!
Unpredictable working conditions
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 27, 2018
I have Worked for Sharis Cafe and pies on multiple occasions now. I have worked every position from DMO all the way up the ranks to Assistant Manager. My best times at sharis have been as a server and overall I would be willing to be a server again. As a part of the management team though I found my job to be very challenging. As a assistant the company will move you around to different locations with out consulting you about it first. This could be a good move or a bad move depending how your management style fits with the rest of the management team.They also currently are unwilling to pay overtime to their hourly employee so as management on salary it is your responsibility to make sure that staff members that are getting close to over time are cut early and sent home regardless of the needs of the store. This leave the rest of the crew and the management to pick up the extra work left behind by the employee that was sent home early. This can also lead to very long work days. Lets say a cook calls in for his/her shift but the other available cooks would go into overtime if they came into cover the shift. In this case the management is expected to work the shift with out calling anyone in to cover. This prevents you from being on the floor to help with guests and make sure the store is running smoothly. If you are required to pick up extra shifts due to lack of staff or because you are trying to avoid staff going into overtime you are not compensated for your time. They will not offer any extra pay for the extra time spent and they do not offer any extra time off to balance  more... out the extra time working.  less
Pros
Free Emp Meals
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Fast pace,
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Aloha, ORMay 6, 2018
As a cook it was a fast pace chaotic at times. Learning and memorize the menu ,practice to move quick with accuracy. It sucks when you can't relay on your co workers to show up on time or even at all. Don't be surprise if some walk out on the middle of a chaotic rush. The job will follow you home with the stench of burnt tar on your cloth, you'll have night mares the first couple weeks of the printing machine printing out an infinite amount of tickets for you to cook. On your days off must likely you'll be called. So I recommend silencing your cellphone. At time I would work two shifts. 12+ hours. Raises could come at ease if you're an asset to the company. Cuts and burns will accrue. At times strange activity may happen in the restroom must likely you'll be ask to handle the situation. After all you're the big scary cook. It aims all bad the first cab be great people or rude. You get one free meal delicious and you learn how to cook.
Pros
Hours, benefits, one free meal or discount
Cons
Rude costumers, sketchy people at night, fast pace
Great place to learn waitressing
Server (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, ORJune 18, 2018
This is a competitive restaurant in the sense that there is not normally a hostess so you are responsible for seating yourself and if you are not on the ball you may lose tables to a more competitive/experienced coworker. That being said many people working there would rotate who got tables next. If you can keep a smile on your face, and are a quick learner/good at time management this may be a job to consider.
Pros
discounted meals
Cons
inconsistent schedule
sharis
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 7, 2019
opening and closing of stores, hiring, scheduling, inventory, payroll, cooking, training, customer service. The best part about my job was not only meeting new people but working with a company that was a team. I was the first one they had put into management from being a waitress to management in the same store. I would have to say that was the hardest part and we all had to learn to readjust
Can be fun to work there but also stay professional
Server/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kent, WASeptember 14, 2018
The location definitely can be fun but most times chaotic. I would recommend that management crack down on the slack of some employees and become a little bit more strict on just standing around when cleaning can be done, and another note is that i have seen many servers on their phone in plain sight of a guest and did not seem to care.
Pros
Fun, 1/2 off food, makes friends
Cons
Lazy, lack respect when under stress, on phones way too much.
Fast paced and dead end
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAJanuary 9, 2019
No employees outside management received full time hours, was told I needed more training to advance but was kept at the same duties. Job duties themselves are not a big burden, pretty simplistic tbh.
Pros
Free food on shift
Cons
No opportunity to advance
A lot to like
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Oregon City, ORMay 26, 2018
Management was fair to all employees, and supportive of their staff.

Hours were always available - and pay was decent.

Time off requests were handled fairly.
Pros
free lunches, time off or additional hours on request.
Cons
short breaks, few paid benefits
Okay place to work
Waitress/Cook (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAOctober 30, 2018
I really love my coworkers but we’re constantly understaffed and under stocked. They send people home early that haven’t finished the side work they need to do then no one does it and it’s left for the next person to come in after them to do that, their basic job description and their own side work which is extremely stressful. I think their trying to do better but it isn’t the easiest place to work. It’s also pretty under paid for the area. Also never get breaks and they make you feel bad if you ever absolutely need one.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Everything else
managment
Server (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, ID 83402May 17, 2018
The restaurant and most of the management were ok to work for but there were some things there that were to competitive and there were some of the management that made no since about things they did or said.
Sharia cafe and pies
DMO (Former Employee) –  Beaverton OROctober 8, 2018
It’s a great friendly environment. Especially for a first job, it will teach you to handle hard work. Management always found a way to give desired work hours and became consistent after a while of working
It Was Work
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WASeptember 5, 2018
It was a fast paced job with a good assistant manager and a not so good manager. I worked graveyard but then corporate shut down that shift and I was put into opening shifts with no real training from the manger who motto is showing up is 905 OF THE JOB.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shari's Cafe and Pies. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight