Shaw's Employee Reviews

Found 1,039 reviews matching the search See all 1,054 reviews
Good work place if you are in need of a job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 20, 2018
Shaw’s is a great job if it’s your first or second job, but I don’t recommend it for older people due to the very little pay,it’s not a challenging job it’s quite easy after you get the hang of it.
Pros
Paid every weed, time and a half on holidays, Sunday’s, and paid vacation + sick days
Cons
Customers can be very upset & it makes the job difficult
Relaxed
cashier/bagger and stocked shelves (Former Employee) –  North Hampton, NHOctober 19, 2018
Relaxed and laid back environment to work in, rarely gets too busy. The pay is very low though, promotions are rare and the annual pay raise is usually only $0.25.
its a job
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Londonderry, NHOctober 18, 2018
The Londonderry store is slow to steady and rarely slammed. if you want a job where you are primarily working with high schoolers going into college that is easygoing at best then this is your kind of place.
Pros
easygoing
Cons
slow = boring
Store Manager
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Randolph, VTOctober 13, 2018
Store manager and dept manager abused and harassed me.Cutthroat and backstabbing everywhere.Worst management anywhere!Was discriminated against and bullied by the store manager.Meat manager made me price everything in the cooler in retaliation for missing a day sick.They are some of the worst people to work for I've ever experienced.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Horrible people from management on down
Not enough employees in checkout!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Colchester, VTOctober 12, 2018
Like most retail stores, there is always a shortage in staff which is not only stressful for the customers but the employees as well. Trying to sneak in a quick break is almost nearly impossible these days.

The checkout department is the most stressful department to work and has the least amount of employees. There are hardly any cashiers or baggers. No one to do reshop items or get carts. Keeping up with the flow of the business is draining.

On top of that customers have become horrible. There is a vast amount who are miserable, rude, and just jerks. Everything gets blamed on the cashiers no matter what department a mistake is made. If something scans incorrectly, blame the cashier.

Store Directors, Department Managers, and Assistant Department Managers are always as risk for being transferred even if they don't want to.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Not enough staff, low pay, too much work
It's Retail, if you've done one you've done them all
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Franklin, MAOctober 12, 2018
Shaw's is a real mixed bag. I know plenty of good hard working people there but I know far more people that are horribly lazy and just drift on by. Be careful about trying to move up the ladder as well. Usually, if you are being trained for a position that is already filled at your store they plan to move you to another store. But if you are a hard worker and your managers like you, they won't want to move you to another store. The net result is that you get stuck at the bottom and never move up.
Pros
Store Discount, Paid time off
Cons
Lots of bad management, Corporate decision making, lots of the employees just don't care enough to actually work
Not Great
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAOctober 10, 2018
Poor management and a lack of appreciation for the employees led to poor work conditions and a put too much stress on the part timers. The full timers and management are allowed to walk around with no stress what so ever while the part timers work 50+ hours a week keeping the place running. At 11.40 an hour.
Pros
good benefits, union
Cons
management
It wasnt bad for my first job.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 10, 2018
The job was fun and it was nice meeting new people. And I knew kids that worked there from my school so that was great probably that hardest part was just trying to equal out school and work.
Pros
Good hours and nice people
Cons
There are no cons.
terrible place, read if you want, but it's not positive.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEOctober 9, 2018
A typical day at Shaw's in Millcreek in South Portland, Maine would have you questioning why you ever needed such a horrible job. The cashiering job itself was not difficult, but the way you're treated and the lack of pay you receive is laughable and terrible at the same time.
Nice place to work
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MEOctober 8, 2018
It’s a good place to work when you are first starting out. Everyone who works there is friendly and helpful. Benefits are good and management works well with your schedule.
Pros
Nice people
Flexible hours
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEOctober 8, 2018
Flexible hours but don’t expect good pay, easy job, management changes often, unorganized, working with the public always has pros and cons, I loved everyone I worked with at my location
Pros
Easy, flexible
Cons
Bad pay, not many full time opportunities
Eh
Checker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Williston, VTOctober 2, 2018
Working at Shaws is very boring, you just kinda stand there at the register for hours and scan things. I mean I know thatś the job but still itś not great.
Productive and intense
Cashier/CSR (Current Employee) –  East Boston, MASeptember 29, 2018
Although it's a fast paced place the managers made it feel super comfortable. It's a place with career building opportunities. They are very flexible with the availabilities.
Pros
Flexible with availability
Cons
it's a part time job at all times unless its management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  South Yarmouth, MASeptember 28, 2018
The hardest part of the job was when I didn’t know the numbers on an item and I had to have one of my higher ups go around the store to go get them item and price check it
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Short breaks
I would put my worst enemies here
Cashier/Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, VTSeptember 26, 2018
What is the best word I can think of to describe the place oh yea Hades.When I was still in school the word Shaws was a Taboo in the air nobody in there right mind wanted to work there. when you went into work you could feel the sense of dread and despair from going through the doors tell you right now aint no one smiling at there job there not even if it were a fake one. the store directors dont even kno who there empolyees are. example I just went in there a couple months ago and there store director ask if I was there for a check and I said no i hadnt worked there in a long time and he said oh sorry I dont kno half the ppl who work in here. also hours are very inconsistent youll never has a set sleep schedule. the could have you there one day in the morning the next at night and the next in the middle. no one wanted to do there job there, Ive had ppl tell me they mess around all day and get paid for doing nothing or bare minimum. I even had to fight with the store director to get rid of the trash in the bottle room cause ppl would leave there trash in there and it was so bad smelled like a dead corpse in there half the time and no one wanted to clean it so I had to. also whoever would do it often left glass totes from the machines unattended which is a safety hazzards actually they had a few safety and heath hazzards there. plus the managers where very bad no got along with thm and I cant tell you how many ppl left cause of there managers. I even left cause one of them I asked simply where something was and they called me useless so I said Good Luck and left. if your looking  more... for a job to just start out in this is not the place Id reccomend dont go here. think of the worst possible job in the world and youll find this place to be ten times worst I guarantee it.  less
Pros
Cons
Everthing
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, NHSeptember 25, 2018
I really enjoyed working for Shaw's. The coworkers were great and a lot of fun. Management was cool and performed their duties well. Each department seemed to run very smoothly. People were extremely helpful and friendly.
Pros
Great environment
Its been a while
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 25, 2018
Not sure how to rate them. Its been some time but seemed like a place you could work for into your golden years if you chose to. People are generally friendly.
Great place to work for
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MASeptember 24, 2018
In my 3 years working with Shaw's I've had The Best experiences ,met great people and made some friends,I would recommend Shaw's a great place to work for.
Pros
Reasonable schedule accommodations
Cons
Short breaks
Fast paced and stressful, long hours. Good teamwork environment, though.
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTSeptember 24, 2018
A typical day would be making sure the department was set up and ready for sales as soon as the store opened at 7:00 am. Delegating responsibilities for the staff. Maintaining product levels throughout the day. Keeping work areas clean and food safe. Doing any staff scheduling. Ordering product. Checking sales numbers to be able to meet projections for the week.
I learned that being a good manager is only going to be as good as the people you have working for/with you. Choose staff carefully and train them and treat them well. I was a successful manager because I had great staff.
Pros
Great working conditions, friendly environment, room for growth. Good benefits.
Cons
Long hours, irregular schedules, work 90% of all weekends and Holidays.
very busy.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MASeptember 20, 2018
quick paced, and very busy environment. good management in departments. not a bad company to work for. always looking for help and will give hours if you want them. if you get stressed easily this is not the job for you.
Pros
department managers are great
Cons
upper management make things harder

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shaw's. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight