Shea Homes Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant / Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 3, 2018
Shea Homes was a family oriented company. The employees were great and the culture was positive. I loved everything about my job. When the housing market changed and the company laid off about 75% of the company I was devastated. It was the best job.
Terrible department managers
SENIOR LEASE ADMINISTRATION ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAJune 24, 2018
HR is non-existent. They side with seniority instead of looking out for a healthy and positive work environment. Some departments are good but for the most part, all of them don't want to address the terrible managers that have been employed for 10+ years.
Pros
Good pay and work life balance
Cons
Terrible department managers
Amazing Place to work!
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 19, 2018
I cannot say enough about Shea Properties'. I love how everyone I've worked with is literally like a family! They care about you and your well-being. They do go above and beyond to make sure you understand everything and are willing to sit and help you.

I've never worked anywhere else before where I felt I really belonged. This is a family you'll love! There are training classes which are fun! and you get to know everyone within the region! There is no pressure from managers or the stress either, they are willing to help you and work with you!

I do enjoy the one on one meetings with my manager and we discuss work, if I am understanding everything, anything they can do to do help you, etc.
Pros
Wonderful staff! Great work environment
Cons
No free housing
This Company Pays Nothing
Community Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAJune 11, 2018
I live in a Shea community, and pay my entire paycheck back to them. They pay nothing close to the slandered.I have not had a raise since I started. Everyone is stressed out. They do not allow you to do your job because you are too busy doing reports, and in meetings. Then they want to ask you why you have not gotten your job done.
Pros
You get a housing discount, and your benefits start right away.
Cons
They pay nothing close to the slandered.
mismanaged
Property Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAFebruary 18, 2018
Everything was good working there except the manager and it was to far to commute. Even though i was over qualified i did so enjoy working there on my first fay it was employee appreciation day and i got a maassage
Overall a great place to work
Tour Center Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lake Frederick, VAJanuary 26, 2018
For the most part I worked with great people and management was fair. The compensation and benefits were good. Hours could be a bit long during certain times of the year.
Fast paced residential construction company with an enormous focus on customer satisfaction and experience.
Homeowner Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAJanuary 17, 2018
I found Shea Homes to be great place to work, so much so that I have worked for them in both Washington State and California. They are a family owned company and place a great importance on work/life balance. I worked hard when I was there but I never brought work home with me. There was never the expectation that I was to be there on evenings or weekends nor where there emails or phone calls I was expected to return after hours.

The days are jam packed, both in the office and out in the field. You hit the ground running at 7 am and are tuckered out by 4 pm. I enjoyed this pace, it made the days interesting and go by fast. A typical day was spent in appointments, either team meetings and team house inspections or appointments with homeowners reviewing the progress and completion of their new home. All departments work very closely together - sales, design, construction and customer service so you have the opportunity to learn a lot about many fascets of the company.

I found all of the managers to be strong leaders, compassionate individuals, and competent problem solvers. Shea has a very strong culture with generous time and resources dedicated to 7 Habits of Highly Effective People courses, Myers Briggs type personality tests, and Shea Homes Core Value training.

The most difficult part of the job was balancing the often unrealistic expectations of a highly experienced buyer within the reality of production (not custom) building.

The most enjoyable part of the job are the people. I throughly enjoyed coming to work everyday because of the people I
  more... got to spend it with. I've made lifelong friends there, I laughed a lot throughout the day, I learned a ton from people in other departments who were more than happy to share their expertise and insight to further my knowledge and career growth, and they threw me the best baby shower ever when I left the company to have my son. I cannot say enough about this group of people.  less
LEAD SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 12, 2018
Overall Shea Homes is a good place to work and has a great culture. The pay is below average but the benefits are above average. The career advancement is quick in the beginning and they train there employees well.
Pros
Good benefits and culture
Cons
Not much grouth
Management at this site is terrible
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Frederick, VADecember 21, 2017
Management works against the employees causing more work and less production. the fact that two managers are related causes a very hostile work environment.
Good company to work for.
Finish Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 11, 2017
Shea homes treats employees great. Great benefits and on the job training. Good place to start a construction career. Immediate manager was to young and not qualified for his position.
No training program and no support from management
Community Representative (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CADecember 3, 2017
This company has excellent benefits and compensation. They pay fairly. However, surprisingly, the training program is practically nothing at all. There is no program at all designed for new hires. Every now and then they will show you something, but 95% is up to you to follow along and listen in on what is going on. There is no support from management.
Pros
Paid well
Cons
No breaks
Quality Company
Sales Representative - New Home Sales (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 22, 2017
I was proud to work for Shea Homes. They build a quality product and provide exceptional customer service. The VP of sales and marketing is by far the best person I've ever worked for. Very professional, great personality, extremely knowledgeable, and a wonderful mentor.
Pros
Fantastic VP of Sales & Marketing
Cons
Less than competitive pay
shea
New home sales agent (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZNovember 10, 2017
good builder But constant change on the management side.
worked in the Active adult side and when they decide on a strategy or plan they change two weeks later after you put two weeks of effort into old plan.
They only help themselves and not the company
Pros
employees
Cons
Managers
We had a golf course on the project
Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 30, 2017
A typical work day was to go through all the houses I managed and make sure we were on schedule and if not, to make contact with the subcontractors to make the adjustments necessary to get back on schedule. also go through two houses a day to verify all options with the homeowners of those houses.
great company
Community Associate (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAOctober 28, 2017
Loved working there. We built several communities in a previously open area above Simi Valley. I loved working with Shea. However our community was completed & due to housing market at the time, I was picked up by William Lyon Homes
Great balance of work / home life
TENANT SERVICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAOctober 25, 2017
It's great knowing that at the end of the day I can easily switch from work mode to family mode and not have work interrupt my family time. The upper management team are all very knowledgeable and experienced in the retail development industry.
Not sure of Shea Homes now
Community Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAOctober 16, 2017
At the time I worked at Shea Homes I really enjoyed working there and my co-workers. I naively thought I would work there until I retired many years later. Unfortunately the housing market changed and lay offs occurred.
Great relax place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CA 94550October 9, 2017
Great place to work but if economy goes down builders are the first to lay off... HR is a very fair and kind person. Good size company based out of livermore
Great company to work for
ASSISTANT COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 18, 2017
Great training, mentors, and a good work culture. Would definitely recommend. Shea hires great employees, which creates a good culture among coworkers. Benefits include a full array of health insurance, plus 401K benefits.
Sr. Administrative Assistant, Resident Specialist (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAJuly 3, 2017
Shea is a great company to work for. They pride themselves in maintaining beautiful properties that anyone would be proud to call home. A typical day at work is very stressful but having a great team in any location is what makes the job manageable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shea Homes. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight