Shelby County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Lots misc jobs
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYJanuary 23, 2018
I really enjoy working here,its fast paced at times.Benefits are great.The support staff are excellent,they go above and beyond to help with any task you ask them
Benefits
Cons
No overtime
Faculty and students a pleasure to work with.
Assistant Coach (High School Boy Basketball) (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYAugust 10, 2017
Working at Simpsonville Elementary was a blast. The faculty and students are a pleasure to work with and be around with. On a typical day being an Instructional Assistant in Special Education, one schedule would have flexible schedule throughout the day. Administration is awesome and are very supported of the staff and easily to communicate. Hardest part of the job would be calming a special need student down but would say the most enjoyable part of the job is watching those students meet their goals.
Pros
Summer off, Enjoyment of student success
Cons
Salary
Typical Day in the Office
Payroll Manager (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYAugust 4, 2017
All days are very busy with extremely tight deadlines. Everyday is a challenge which I enjoy and thrive when challenged. I really enjoy my job here and the demands that come along with it. Always completely snowed under (so to speak) but it's ok, just prioritize and make sure all duties are completed accurately and on time. I do not let the busy days with many demands get to me, I know it is just part of the line of work I have chosen. I like my job and responsibilities.
Pros
benefits, paid time off
Cons
none really, all places we work there is something but defintely not worth publicizing
Well run organization
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYJune 14, 2017
Shelby County is a great place to work for "some." Others remain on the outside for questionable purposes. Most of the administrators are great but there are a number of those in authority who are unfair in terms of hiring and/or promoting. They seem to emphasize nepotism in hiring - otherwise it would be a great place to work.
Pros
Professional atmosphere
Cons
Unfair hiring and promoting
great place to work.
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYMay 14, 2017
Great place to work . Colleagues are very helpful. Lot of team effort. One of the best support from students and teachers. My immediate superior was always finding faults with me and discouraging me but I did not give up. The end results positive map scores.
and great student appreciation and parents .
Pros
Very student centric
Cons
small district. less pay.
maintained order with elementary students during lunch periods
Cafeteria Monitor (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYApril 26, 2017
During the lunch periods for an elementary school, I maintained order with the children. Cleaned after the children finished eating. Kept track of when each class entered an departed the cafeteria.
Pros
I was on the same schedule as my children so child care was not needed
Cons
Position did not offer enough hours daily
I continue to work as a teacher because I enjoy it!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 8, 2016
With all the changes in the school system your job is no longer secured like in the past years. I do it because of the kids! I help with building the morale by sponsoring activities, field trips, and events.
Pros
It works with the schedule of my children.
Cons
job security
Excellent
Receptionist/ Secretary (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, KY 40065May 11, 2016
Great District to work for ! Flexible and reliable jobs. Job atmosphere is great. Opportunities to advance are available.
Education Field
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYAugust 22, 2015
This is an educational establishment for grades PreK to 12th grade.
ONE PHILOSOPHY

We are one school system – not a system of schools

TWO CORE BELIEFS

Send every middle school student to high school on grade level by 2014
Graduate every senior with college/career readiness skills by 2016

FOUR KEYS TO UNLOCK LEARNING

Laser-like focus on achievement
Extraordinary amount of non-fiction writing
Collaborative scoring
Penalty for failing is doing the work over

FIVE MAIN THINGS

Curriculum Alignment...
To reach our goals, our students must master the Kentucky Core Academic Standards. We constantly adjust to ensure our curriculum provides each student with repeated opportunities to demonstrate mastery.

Instructional Norms...
There are best practices to student learning; it just does not happen. Ongoing training and support must occur for teachers to rise to the top. One local teacher admitted teaching her heart out, yet consistently being disappointed by her students’ state assessment results. She told me, "Tell me what to do." I owe it to her – and all teachers – to provide the best Professional Development so teachers can be the best and, in turn, their students can be the best.

Professional Learning Community...
When I visited with a Superintendent from another county, I was stunned, as was he, when a star math teacher
  more... visited a colleague’s class and said, "We have been teaching beside each other for 20 years and I had never seen her teach." The closed-door mentality is gone. Professionals must communicate and learn from each other to blend all the strengths together.

Intervention...
Teachers face as many as eight different levels of student skills every day in the classroom. As a result, the academic achievement levels will also differ. Goal-setting and databoards based on MAP (Measure of Academic Progress) help staff identify students and their needs. Those Below Grade Level are scheduled for intervention to bring about progressive growth.

Enrichment...
MAP also provides information on students who are Above Grade Level. This group of students can then be challenged with higher-level courses or other appropriate activities to keep pushing them beyond their potential.

Achievement occurs because we

THINK BIG
Energy / Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYJune 25, 2015
Shelby County Schools are dedicated to improving education. They are all about how they can improve the outcome for the students.
Great place to work, great people to work with.
Substitute Cafeteria (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYAugust 10, 2012
I prepare and serve breakfast, clean up then prepare and serve lunch, also assist any student that needs help. I enjoy the people I have worked with and have learned alot about cooking and preparing food for students,
Working with young people
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 30, 2012
Good opportunity to work with young people, but off in summer