Shelby County Schools Employee Reviews

Excellent schools
Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 24, 2018
People where great and pay was lovely.. I wish I could go back the experience was the best I really lived professional development day bc it allowed everyone that’s in your area to get to know each other , they brought together community with school projects that allowed me to bring my family to work
Pros
Community involvement
Nice friendly environment,
Helper/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 18, 2018
The pay wasn't great but I just didn't like the idea that we have to wait 2 weeks to get a small check. Plus I wasn't received well at certain schools, the manager just put me to work and I didn't know what to do. Every school was different the best school I ever worked at was Shelby Oaks Elementary.
Pros
The people
Cons
Part-time
Very productive and fun work place
Educational/Special Ed. Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 17, 2018
Works with teacher to develop a lesson plan for small group and assessment skills.
Performed administrative tasks including typing, copying, faxing and answering phone calls.
Politely assisted parents in person and via telephone to develop a parent-teacher relationship to generate a loyal clientele.
Restocked inventory every month as needed; maintained cleanliness and presentation of the classroom.
Documented progression of students by way of anecdotal notes for each student throughout the school year.
Planned and developed appropriate activities for the children in conjunction with the teacher, such as field trip and special
projects.
Built positive relationships with students, parents and caregivers to ensure student growth and success.
Investigated and resolved inquiries and complaints in a timely and empathetic manner.
Supervised full classrooms of students as necessary and successfully taught the curriculum to students.
Designed displays and bulletin boards to make the classroom interactive and engaging.
Recipient of multiple positive reviews acknowledging dedication to excellent customer service.
Asked open-ended questions to assess students' needs.
Pros
Parents, Students and Co workers
Cons
Short breaks, Healthcare
Overall good place to work
SEED Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 11, 2018
It is overall a good place to work. My environment and the department that I work in, is very fast paced but laid back. We are not micro-managed. We all work together to get the job done. I do not have hard days. I try to make the best of everyday and every situation. I enjoy working with people and especially helping them, in any way possible.
Great flexibility
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 8, 2018
This position offers great flexibility. You can pick up assignments as little or as much as you like. I am particular about what assignments I take, therefore I have few complaints. My only concern is the lack of benefits for this position.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Benefits and pay
Music Teacher/Choral Director
General Music Teacher / Chorus Director (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 4, 2018
The school system was very supportive, helpful, and fair. The schools were run fairly and had quality, competent students. I had a good experience working for this school system.
Stressful Workplace
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TnMarch 28, 2018
Very high standards with little support. The corporate offices expect too much from local schools and penalize them for not complying. They will issue things to do and not follow up with help.
my Job review
School Resource Officer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 26, 2018
Making sure the schools are safe and making sure that the education process was not interrupted. Securing each door , parking lots and school property. The most enjoyable part of my job is making sure every student was safe at school.
Pros
making sure student, staff and building are safe
Cons
students fighting during and after school
network field tech
Network Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbiana, ALMarch 26, 2018
The responsibility of over 38 schools could be challenging when you didn't just deal with one pc. You always had your hands full daily with wireless, network, or server issues. Installing new routers and switches were always fun..
Pros
paid vacation
Cons
mulitiple interactions with different people
No two days are the same
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 23, 2018
A typical work day will mean if any thing unfortunate happens it is your fault. The kids run and ruin the school if they so choose. The teacher gets blames because she did nothing to a disruptive student.
She can not do anything, she cant raise her voice and please dont touch the child. the hardest part of the job is keeping your sanity with medication from your doctor.
The most enjoyable part is when a child responds positively to their lessons each day.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
the teachers have no way to protect themselves
A very enjoyable atmosphere working with human
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 15, 2018
Shelby county schools is a good place to work where you are a mentor for the children. Working for the school helps one to implement time management and learning skills to help a child to learn.
not a good organization to work for.
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 11, 2018
poor job experience . Ineffective management and leadership. Dictator management and leadership, low concern from Organization's HR department, retention rate is low.
Pros
student advancement
Cons
management, leadership, poor organizational ethics.
A good place to work
Computer Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 9, 2018
A typical day is making sure kids got the best education possible. You learn a lot. The culture is laid back. Working with great people is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great school system
Substitute School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 2, 2018
Shelby County Schools have made great improvements in their curriculum and employee development. They have also ensured they are hiring the best and most qualified educators.
Pros
Great working hours
Cons
Lack of parental support at most schools
Productive workplace
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 2, 2018
A place where you can soar in your career. The culture if very family oriented. The most enjoyable part of the job are the children and meeting new people.
No appreciation of staff.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 27, 2018
Teachers are not valued by administration. Effective support and continuing training was essentially non existent. Each year there was a new approach to teaching the students would be tried. Software and technology for class use was not always available when school started.
Pros
Teachers support each other
Cons
No appreciation from administration, parents, or students
Productive Day
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 27, 2018
I come in I get breakfast as the children eat I begin to read a story. after story time I take the kids to the restroom. Next we circle time after the restroom, we go over all the things on the curriculum. Now it's time for small group, we have four groups two teacher lead after that we go to lunch. After lunch there is center time for about twenty minutes then we lay down for nap. Finally when they wake up it's snack timed dismissal .
No Comment
In School Suspension Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 26, 2018
No Comment about this job. If you would like to work here fill out an application.The job is great! The people are wonderful.This a is a great place to work.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Shelby County Schools
Nutrition Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 24, 2018
It's a school system - there are federal rules and regulations that must be followed.

The work schedule is M-F and you are home early enough to enjoy time with your family.

The pay is not great for having a degree.
Pros
good benefits, working with students
Cons
education level of staff, constant menu changes
Very productive and educational experiene working there
Sub Secretary (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 21, 2018
A typical day at work for Durham School Services, I would be coming in at 5am and assigning routes to drivers. It is very challenging and educational.
Pros
I get to have a 4 hour break inbetween my shift.
Cons
Extremely early AM shift.