Sheldon Independent School District Employee Reviews

Great opportunity to work with students
AVID Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 10, 2019
It’s never a dull moment or day working with high school students. Every student wants to do something even if it’s not a doctor dream job that some students want to be. It’s amazing to get to know students and how productive their minds can be when you see them collaborating in group projects. Some ideas blow my own imagination and appreciate that every year, students are getting serious about school.
Pros
Professional Student Engagement
Cons
Only 20 hours a week. No overtime
Growing District
Principal (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 3, 2019
The district is transitioning to Compass schools in the near future. This will set this district a part from the other surrounding districts. Sheldon ISD is a fast-pace growing district.
transportation
Paraprofessional * volunteer work (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2019
working as a bs aide can be a easy job but sometimes challenging the biggest down fall if the pay due to only working 6 hours a day and split pay for summers. I also dislike the early hours but overall I must say Sheldon isd is not a bad employer to work for
Pros
the time off
Cons
the early hours and salery
Family Environment
Educator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 19, 2018
Sheldon is a family. They offer a warm environment that is collaborative, yet fast paced. Also, the district recently raised salaries significantly!
Pros
Environment
Cons
Politics
Stressful, inconsistent, face paced
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2018
It's a good district to work for however we could create a less stressful environment. Also there should be a consistent process for every department.
Life as a tutor
Avid Tutor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 26, 2018
The job was very easy going. The schedule given made it very easy to take on more in my personal life , such as school and working out. the coworkers are positive and are willing to help get you through the day.
Productive collaborative public educators
Kindergarten and PreKindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 29, 2018
The principal and assistant principal are the best I have ever worked for. The team of teachers that I work with are wonderful. I grow as an educator professionally and personally on a continuing basis.
Pros
Administration and co-workers are exceptional
Cons
The supplies and workroom for teachers is substandard
Challenging yet fun place to work
Teacher/Coach (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2018
A typical day at work starts at 6:50 am when you report to work. At 7:00 am the students come to class and the school day is underway. Classes come and go through out the day, some more challenging than others. At 2:45 pm the students go home and at 3:00 pm you get to go home.
Workload
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2018
A lot of paperwork and not enough time.

Provide activities for small groups of students as directed by supervisor, assess students with oral language test, maintain and update LPAC documentation, contact parents as directed, assist program specialist with assessment information, prepare and maintain all LPAC minutes, create excel spreadsheets, translate for office staff and others as needed.

Other than that it's a good place to work at.
Pros
It can be stressful, and the pay is not good either
Cons
Paid Summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring break Vacations as well to other holidays
Ok
Employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 3, 2018
Don’t really have much to say, just thankful I was able to work and provide quality education to the students in the community. At the end of the day, it’s sll for the kids.
Environment
Health Science Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sheldon, TXJanuary 4, 2018
Students are incorrigible. Hopeless environment to work in. New evaluation program implemented by the state has ruined teaching and that is why so many teachers are leaving the profession. NO SUPPLIES available for teaching HEALTH SCIENCE!
Pros
Cons
problem students, not enough consequences from admin
Many Opportunities
Kindergarten Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sheldon, TXNovember 8, 2017
Sheldon ISD is a great district to work for! It has provided me with many opportunities for growth professionally and personally. I would recommend teaching in Sheldon ISD.
Benefits
Cons
Na
Friendly environment easy to work there
Groundsman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 4, 2017
Really good place to work, very friendly environment and the people are easy to get along with. It's mostly a fast paced environment and the bosses are very easy to deal with.
Working wit special needs children there is never a dull moment.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 3, 2017
Special needs children have a way of brighting up anyone's day. They are very compassionate and willing to go that extra mile for approval. Their character is amazing.
Pros
Great work days and summers off.
Cons
None.
Productive and Fun Place to work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 7, 2017
Great district to work for. The pay is leading in the area, exceptional hiring process, wonderful and very helpful staff at the district and at the school.
Too quick to dismiss those whose are from other district's.
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2017
Being a smaller, title 1 district, there could be many befits working there. IF they would finally shed their "Good Ol' Boy" Network and accept personal responsibilities in Admin, it would be a great place to work.

As a mid-level manager there, my input was not valued. Upper management were too quick to take the sides of those that are suppose to be my subordinates, rather than relying on my 20 years experience. It was a definite case of the tail wagging the dog, which I have seen happening lately in a lot of School Districts.

Do not get me wrong, Sheldon ISD was not an unpleasant place to work, but unless your career was incubated there, the culture is a little difficult to handle.
Sheldon
Site Coordinator for After School Program (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 2, 2017
A typical day at Sheldon is fast-paced. I enjoy the students and the small community. The hardest part of my job is the long hours worked with no overtime.
Pros
Easy commute
Cons
Overworked
Excellent team collaboration
Bilingual Educational Diagnostician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2016
A very enjoyable place to work! Excellent working environment. It is a place to call home where you learn and grow in your profession.
Pros
Staff friendliness and athmosphere
Cons
Healthcare is very expensive
Great District
Administrative Data Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2016
Sheldon ISD is a small district with big desires for their students. Campus staff are team players and look to each other as family.
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSFebruary 4, 2016
my typical day at work. Is fun cuz im with students I love.I love my co workers.The hardest part about my job is the kids that have more of an attuited and hit,bite. The most enjoyable part of my job.is seeing my students help.We got a new a management.its alot better then it was.Ive leared that kids need you to help them.