Shelter House Employee Reviews

Great organization that cares about its people
Residential Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMarch 15, 2019
This agency is the best in the county. They are really making changes in the lives of the families. The team is so passionate about what they do and everyone is super friendly. It does get easy to take your work home but setting up boundaries is key.
Was an okay job, but it eventually burns you out.
Shelter Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IANovember 9, 2018
I would only recommend working at the shelter if you are truly dedicated to the human services industry. Most of the residents of the shelter have no comprehension of respect and consideration-- unless it has to do with they way they are personally treated. Also, I found that when I had problems with other staff member or with a resident, nothing would happen once I informed my manager on the matter.

The schedule is very inconsistent and you get paid only $11/hour to constantly babysitting full-grown adults-- some of which are criminals or have no clue how to not be aggressive, all with a forced smile on your face. If not, then you get in trouble. Oh yeah, and we don't get breaks despite the fact that we are often scheduled to work 8-12 hours shifts.
Pros
Helping the kids, learning how to be assertive
Cons
no breaks, rude clients, no training, naiive office staff, bad management
Things to Know
Residential Services Advocate (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJuly 16, 2018
This job can be both stressful and rewarding. I really enjoyed helping those that really needed help to make a positive change in their lives. The hardest part of this job is cya as an employee. However I did learn that humans will do whatever it takes to survive and sometimes the good guy do finish last.
Headache job
Cook (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 21, 2018
Unorganized place to work. No communication between staff or management. That unlimited PTO is their way of not granting your time. Always understaff so impossible to find coverage for vacation time and they refuse to pay overtime.
Pros
Allows sit time.
Cons
Schedule unpredictable, underpay
Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 23, 2018
I do not care to comment on this at this time, my views are very private and I do not feel comfortable expressing my personal views about the work at Shelter House
good
Internship (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 7, 2018
Great experience for learning it enabled me opportunity to prepare for the other positions available. Able to grow with the experience. Variety was important in this position.
Shelter House, Inc- a great place to start your career and grow
Residential Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Reston, VASeptember 16, 2017
Shelter House is a small nonprofit that has grown quickly in the past few years. Shelter House operates emergency shelters and housing programs for homeless families and victims of domestic violence.

The working environment is fast paced and rewarding. Management and staff work together collaboratively to ensure clients have the services and resources to meet their needs.

Staff work well together and often collaborate to provide the best services to our clients and staff.

The culture at Shelter House is supportive, collaborative, fun, learning environment. The most enjoyable parts of the job are working with staff and helping clients to change their lives!
Pros
Growth opportunities, supportive work environment, flexible schedule
ok company
HIP Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 1, 2017
Only been here few months be have been looking everyday. don't feel right her because the have so much turn over. No support from supervisors. Just no happy here
Fun nice place to work nice co-workes
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 30, 2017
Its always nice people there also community come in help so much its nice seeing people improve in there life after living there its never not anythimg to do but so much fun and caring people
Pros
Its alway something cooking up and fin going on
Good organization to develop social services skills
Assistant Shelter Director (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 9, 2017
Outstanding organization for skill development.Team oriented organization. The organization uses strategies for the accomplishment of organizational and program goals.
Pros
skill development in social services
Cons
small organization
N/a
Food Service Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 26, 2017
Its a rather good volunteer position looks like a good place to work. Most fun part of the job is the other volunteers the people at the shelter are often in baad health so that is hard to see
Management needs work
Shelter Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 16, 2017
The management needs to be worked on. They play favorites and only people that get raises or promotions are the ones who kiss butt all the time. If they dont like you, you will be used until they dont need you anymore. Then pushed away like you did something wrong.
Pros
Spending time with the residents and helping out.
Cons
Management.
A good starter job
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 4, 2017
You can learn a lot working here. A lot of services offered to the clients. Company stands for a good cause helping homeless people find jobs and housing.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Promotion based on being friends
Vey fun place to work while helping others.
Residential Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAOctober 4, 2016
I definitely love working at shelter house. Being able to help abused women is very inspirational. We get to work directly with families by providing them shelter.
Awesome place to work
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 28, 2016
This is an awesome place to work, great benefits, friendly and supportive colleagues, room for growth, and management that is supportive. Its always an adventure working with clients, however when you have a strong support system it makes your job much easier. Plenty of training's and coaching moments to help you excel. This company believes in promoting and hiring from within and has mechanisms in place to recognize staff that is doing a good job.
Detail Otiented and love people.
Residential Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Reston, VirginiaMay 11, 2015
I am a hard worker and have a great personality. I am definitely a people person and can resolve problems that may occur. Working with my co-workers are like being with family we work well as a team. I love having the opportunity to contribute my skills and experience to staff. I find it difficult to stop working and go home. Management has always supported staff and that is a great asset to have in order to have a great team.
Pros
Great non-profit
Cons
Tuition reimbursment
Small organization that appreciates employees
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 27, 2014
Working with this organization helped to develop out of the box problem solving.

The fellow employees care and want to see you succeed.

Hardest part of the job were the hours.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
scheduled hours
Domestic Violence
Residential Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Reston VAMarch 14, 2014
I love what I do and want to continue to help people in need. the most enjoyable part of my job is when my client find there confidents. I learn something new everyday.
Pros
There a lot of team work.
Cons
Management need a little work.
Mission Oriented
Deputy Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 25, 2013
Shelter House is an extremely reputable organization leading the way in ending homelessness in Fairfax County. The organization continues to find way to grow - giving more families hope to succeed and staff the ability to grow professionally.
Pros
Flexibility