Shelter Insurance Employee Reviews

Awesome management team
LICENSED AGENCY REP (Former Employee) –  Springfield, TNNovember 22, 2018
Enjoyed my time with Shelter
Always willing to teach and help expand for growth.
Crossing training was very important.
Flexible scheduling options available.
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
No insurance or benefits
Nice place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 14, 2018
Was a great place to work. A little chaotic at times. Worked with the general public a lot which is something I enjoy. I feel I picked up on the Shelter program rather quickly, just because of working with insurance companies all my life
Diversified Company
Full-time Mortgage Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOOctober 18, 2018
Provides great opportunity to learn with training programs. I have learnt how their system works and suggested some improvements in my areas of work and that was also implemented.
Pros
Great work place with job security and benefits.
Cons
less vacation based on years of experience.
prodcutive and fun work place
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 17, 2018
Everyone is fun to work with. Stressful at times, but always worth it. Many opportunities to advance and get involved with many people around Springfield and many groups to join to grow your business.
I worked alone in my office. Contact with company was on the phone. Really enjoyed it.
Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 14, 2018
I worked directly for the agent for a while until I got my license. I was not on Shelter Payroll for a couple of months before my job ended.
Working for the company was great.
Pros
Wotking part time.
Cons
The job was perfect for me I was semi retired.
It is a fantastic place to work.
Property Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 7, 2018
The work environment is very relaxed and family oriented. Managers are happy to help your advancement within the company. There is plenty of room for growth.
The pay is adequate for a customer service role but i would not reccommend it
Customer Service Representative Band II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 30, 2018
As part of the job you are required to take the license for selling property and casualty insurance, but your compensation remains that of a typical customer service representative. I think i talked to my manager 5 or 6 times the entire time i worked there. There did not feel like there was any opportunity for advancement either.
Pros
There is opportunity for overtime frequently
Cons
Few opportunities for advancement, stressful, compensation does not reflect licensing and skills
was a very good company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Blytheville, ARAugust 20, 2018
Very healthful to clients. received money and it was always handled properly. Office atmosphere was always professional. everything that was need to do your job was always provided.
Pros
boss very flexible with hours
Cons
health benefits
great place
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJuly 19, 2018
definitely room for opportunities and advancement, nice place to grow and make money, have to find your own clients to build it but pretty laid back and fairly simple.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
partial commission based
Review
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMay 31, 2018
I liked my job but did not like all the cold calling involved with the job. I had to make at least 100 cold calls a day which got old very quickly. The sales goals were hard to meet as well.
Pros
flexible hours, good culture
Cons
too many cold calls
Great experience because I learned what I was capable of as the only employee
Manager (Former Employee) –  MississippiMay 29, 2018
I learned I can do anything I truly set my mind on doing because I was the only employee for over a year at my agent's office while he was selling medical grade pain cream instead. I opened and closed every day and was great at my job.
FAST TRACK ADJUSTER (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOMay 9, 2018
Great place to work. Home office brings job opportunities in all areas from management to accounting, to claims, to landscaping. Good benefits and cafeteria on site.
Overall relaxed atmosphere - good work/life balance
Front Desk Claims Assist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 22, 2018
Hard to rate overall company, because I worked at the claims branch for auto and home with small number of employees.

Lack of fair management techniques at the branch.

Otherwise, job atmosphere among employees was pleasant.

Company long established with an excellent retirement and benefits program.
Pros
Well established company with good retirement benefits
Cons
Lack of branch management communication to administer corporate goals and policies
Family Tradition
INSURANCE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 11, 2018
I was fortunate enough to earn a book of business from my uncle who was a 40 year agent. Unfortunately i missed a contract deadline by 7 hours at that was it for me. Management wise my manger was by far one of the worst I have ever had. In the first 18 months I was an agent I saw him maybe 12 times. He always made it known that he had other waiting for a spot so instead of managing he relied heavily on fear as a point of management. I believe that company itself is a good company but the low to mid management level are by far one of the worst I have ever worked with.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Horrible work enviroment
Loved everything about it
Diversity Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOMarch 27, 2018
I loved every second I had working at Shelter as an intern. However I haven't been able to get hired back since I left. But i would definitely recommend working there.
Customer Service
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 12, 2018
Took claims over phone, asking customer questions regarding claim, pay all windshield claims, helped adjusters during storm season with customer claims.
Pros
Meeting Customers
productive
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOMarch 8, 2018
great proactive company great work culture very diverse . Family friendly .. Easy to advance in pay and lots of chances to learn, They also allow cause dress and lost of time to volunteer in the community
Meat grinder
Heavy property adjuster (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 1, 2018
They want you to complete 100 claims per month and not approve any OT. They pay well below industry standard. They do not provide fair goals and when you achieve these goals, they do not acknowledge your achievements.
Pros
Great 401K match, good company vehicle
Cons
Below industry salaries, over worked and branch manager is not able to manage people, branch plays favorites with friends on work load and advancement
Best Days are in the past
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOFebruary 26, 2018
Was a great job 15 years ago. Current CEO cares more about alternative channel selling than what built the company, the traditional agent model. Most of the people responsible for building the company have left to work for other insurance companies. Benefits were better than industry average but pay was less than the average so it was an overall wash.
Stressful and poor management
Agent (Former Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 14, 2018
poor leadership/management (always made promises of additional training, but never followed through). Stressful environment also due to poor management.
Pros
potential income
Cons
poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shelter Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about