Shelter Insurance Employee Reviews

I worked alone in my office. Contact with company was on the phone. Really enjoyed it.
Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 14, 2018
I worked directly for the agent for a while until I got my license. I was not on Shelter Payroll for a couple of months before my job ended.
Working for the company was great.
Pros
Wotking part time.
Cons
The job was perfect for me I was semi retired.
It is a fantastic place to work.
Property Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 7, 2018
The work environment is very relaxed and family oriented. Managers are happy to help your advancement within the company. There is plenty of room for growth.
The pay is adequate for a customer service role but i would not reccommend it
Customer Service Representative Band II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 30, 2018
As part of the job you are required to take the license for selling property and casualty insurance, but your compensation remains that of a typical customer service representative. I think i talked to my manager 5 or 6 times the entire time i worked there. There did not feel like there was any opportunity for advancement either.
Pros
There is opportunity for overtime frequently
Cons
Few opportunities for advancement, stressful, compensation does not reflect licensing and skills
great place
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJuly 19, 2018
definitely room for opportunities and advancement, nice place to grow and make money, have to find your own clients to build it but pretty laid back and fairly simple.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
partial commission based
FAST TRACK ADJUSTER (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOMay 9, 2018
Great place to work. Home office brings job opportunities in all areas from management to accounting, to claims, to landscaping. Good benefits and cafeteria on site.
Family Tradition
INSURANCE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 11, 2018
I was fortunate enough to earn a book of business from my uncle who was a 40 year agent. Unfortunately i missed a contract deadline by 7 hours at that was it for me. Management wise my manger was by far one of the worst I have ever had. In the first 18 months I was an agent I saw him maybe 12 times. He always made it known that he had other waiting for a spot so instead of managing he relied heavily on fear as a point of management. I believe that company itself is a good company but the low to mid management level are by far one of the worst I have ever worked with.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Horrible work enviroment
Loved everything about it
Diversity Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOMarch 27, 2018
I loved every second I had working at Shelter as an intern. However I haven't been able to get hired back since I left. But i would definitely recommend working there.
Customer Service
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 12, 2018
Took claims over phone, asking customer questions regarding claim, pay all windshield claims, helped adjusters during storm season with customer claims.
Pros
Meeting Customers
productive
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOMarch 8, 2018
great proactive company great work culture very diverse . Family friendly .. Easy to advance in pay and lots of chances to learn, They also allow cause dress and lost of time to volunteer in the community
Meat grinder
Heavy property adjuster (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 1, 2018
They want you to complete 100 claims per month and not approve any OT. They pay well below industry standard. They do not provide fair goals and when you achieve these goals, they do not acknowledge your achievements.
Pros
Great 401K match, good company vehicle
Cons
Below industry salaries, over worked and branch manager is not able to manage people, branch plays favorites with friends on work load and advancement
Best Days are in the past
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOFebruary 26, 2018
Was a great job 15 years ago. Current CEO cares more about alternative channel selling than what built the company, the traditional agent model. Most of the people responsible for building the company have left to work for other insurance companies. Benefits were better than industry average but pay was less than the average so it was an overall wash.
Stressful and poor management
Agent (Former Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 14, 2018
poor leadership/management (always made promises of additional training, but never followed through). Stressful environment also due to poor management.
Pros
potential income
Cons
poor management
Depends on the Agency
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Eureka, MOFebruary 14, 2018
The agent I worked with was great. Good day time hours. No benefits. Nice clean friendly office and working environment. I would recommend this position.
Great company. Family like atmosphere.
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Taylorville, ILFebruary 3, 2018
The company has been great. My District Sales Manager has been a tremendous help. Assistance has always been just a phone call away. The company shares in the necessary advertising expenses to help agents get established..
Pros
Great assisitance and education.
Cons
Great insurance agent to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKJanuary 30, 2018
my agent was great to work for, just not enough pay so had to switch jobs. atmosphere was great and fast paced so your days fly by. great opportunity to learn about insurance and they pay to take the licensing test.
Nice atmosphere and Manager
Insurance Sales Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, ILJanuary 18, 2018
It has been a long time since I worked there, but the Agent I worked for was a very good boss. I had small children at the time and he was very flexible when I needed time off
Great place.
Insurance Secretary (Former Employee) –  Corning, ARJanuary 17, 2018
Shelter is one of the best places to work! Great management and they get you the best rates possible. I absolutely loved working at shelter the time I did.
Pros
Everything.
Cons
None.
Must work independently
Agency Representative / Agency Assistant /Agent (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSDecember 31, 2017
Great product! Great company! All agencies are independent. My last supervisor - very unprofessional and unconcerned, very much an oddity in my experience. Again, Great, upstanding company!
Awesome Job
Insurance Affiliate Agent (Current Employee) –  Bryant, ARNovember 30, 2017
I never thought I'd grow to like insurance but this is by far the best job I've had. I enjoy helping other people which is all apart of the game. I've learned quite a lot and have grown to understand how to better accommodate my customers
The best Job by far.
Claim Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thompson's Station, TNOctober 23, 2017
Claim Assistants are given many responsibilities but the co-workers and environment of this office motivates a person to do there very best. The employees were kind, respectful and humorous individuals. They have an amazing work ethic and they all strive for the same purpose to help others as best they can. Everyday you learn new things and adopt new skills. The great team in Shelter, not only helps insureds and claimants but they also help the other staff members. They are patient, understanding and tactful. As a person one can grow and be the very best version of themselves, when they are given this kind of treatment and show a humble attitude to learn. By far this is the best place to work.
Pros
Benefits, Pay rates, Stable Hours, great work enviorment
Cons
Too much work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shelter Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.