Shelter Insurance
46Low

Shelter Insurance Employee Reviews

United States148 reviews
Great management and support
Insurance can be a difficult career but management has made it both fun and interesting. There is always something new to learn and no day is ever boring. I enjoy interacting with the public and stretching my intellect to the benefit of both my employers and customers. I would not be looking for work at all if not for low pay and no benefits.
Pros
Cons
Low salary & no benefits
Great place
Loved working there and the people and costumers learned so much and a lot more growth than I thought I would have had working in insurance. Great place to work
There may be room for improvement but in fairness the Blair, NE is quite distant from the Home Office even though we had a State office in Lincoln
This was my first experience in an independent agent office I loved every minute I was able to put into growing the company there and servicing all of its new and existing clients. I was able to make many community connections and served on the board for a local not for profit. Full of amazing opportunities.
Great pay and amazing benefits
It takes a bit to get in the door but keep trying. The benefits are amazing with profit sharing and pension plan. The work itself is mentally draining sometimes, mainly learning to difuse situations with customers. Overall great place to work.
February 24, 2020
Thanks for your positive rating. We appreciate your feedback and commitment to provide excellent customer service to our insureds and claimants. Your comments help to reinforce Shelter Insurance as one of the Best Places to Work in Business Insurance since 2017!
Long term employee
It went from a small company feel to large corporation feel in past few years. All decisions are made by Home Office and not local. They set you up for failure by assigning more work than you can handle and then give you grief for overtime request. Numbers are hard to hit due to the “you work all types of claims and no specializing” atmosphere. There is no trust by upper management and they track every movement you make. They do not care about employees lives, only about keeping work off of your managers desk. The changes in the 15 years I spent there are very sad.
February 24, 2020
We read all of our reviews and take the comments seriously.
We place a great deal of responsibility on our adjusters whom we consider claims professionals. We value the work they do in the very important role providing outstanding customer service.We appreciate all that our employees do to serve our insureds.

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We wish you the best on your next endeavor.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Terrible Customer Service
Customer service is a 0-1 Rating. Rates too high to sell products. They put demands of production at unattainable rates. Company Is not trustworthy. Managers lie and tow the company line.
Pros
Made an income
Cons
Rates are not competitive
February 13, 2020
We read all of our reviews and take the comments seriously.

Leading global market research company J.D. Power ranked Shelter Insurance “Highest in Customer Satisfaction among auto insurers” on their 2019 U.S. Auto Insurance Study. This is the third time in four years Shelter has received the highest honor. This study asked customers to provide feedback about their overall satisfaction with their auto insurance company in the following study factors: Interaction, Policy Offerings, Price, Billing Process and Policy Information and Claims.

Our Agents are Independent Contractors whose success is a result of their efforts and sales ability. We strive to provide support, guidance, and encouragement for all of our Agents.
I do not have a review to give at this time. It was a nice and friendly atmosphere and I loved all of the customers. Hours were good. Pay was good. That’s about it.
February 13, 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback. We appreciate all our independent contracted agents do for our insureds.
Great company to work for
Puts their employees first. Emphasis on training, positive feedback, genuinely felt that they cared for me as a person. I would work here again if given the opportunity.
February 13, 2020
Thank you for the positive rating. We appreciate all that our employees do to serve our insureds. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us.
Excellent company
As an agent for Shelter I really enjoy this position. The company supports their agents in many ways including health benefits, excellent work life balance, and the management has been the best I have ever been associated with.
February 13, 2020
Thanks for your positive rating and feedback. We strive to support, guide, and encourage all of our Agents. We appreciate all you do for our insureds.
Easy
To answer the phones an reach out to clients to see about getting them interested in buying insurance with us an my success rate was usually a winner. I enjoyed working wit the public on it was very hands on an simple work
February 13, 2020
Thanks for your positive rating and feedback! We appreciate all that our employees do for our insureds and agents.
Great work experience
Great management and flexible work schedule. High paced, customer driven work environment. Lots of room for advancement and learning opportunities in the insurance business.
February 13, 2020
Thanks for sharing your positive feedback with us. We appreciate all you do for our insureds. It's great to read that you see the vast opportunities in the insurance industry.
Productive at times
It really depends on which agent you work for. Some are amazing and some are not. Which most of them own their own agencies, so corporate has no say so in what they do.
December 23, 2019
We read all of our reviews and take the comments seriously. We appreciate that you acknowledge that our Agents are Independent Contractors.
Fun Atmosphere
Shelter Insurance is a fun place to work. They are employee focused and know the importance of work/life balance. May not be a lot of flexibility with work hours especially starting out depending on your department.
December 23, 2019
We read all of our reviews and take the comments seriously. We appreciate all that our employees do to serve our insureds. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us.
Good place to work starting your career. If you are not at the home office, there is not room for advancement.
Moving to a different operating terrority is almost a must for advancement.
December 6, 2019
Thanks for your positive rating. We appreciate your constructive feedback.

As with most companies, the ability to relocate provides the most advancement opportunities. We do offer career progression opportunities within the claims adjuster role, as well as some advancement opportunities into claims management roles in our field offices. In many locations, there are also opportunities for careers in Field Underwriting, Marketing and Customer Services in addition to Agency opportunities.
Friendly company
Everyone is very easy to talk to and work with in the company. Adjusters and great to work with. Agents are all very friendly to each other. Computer system is user friendly.
December 2, 2019
I enjoyed being a Agent at Shelter
I enjoyed working with the public and customer service care. The challenge of finding the right fit for families and their needs. I enjoy working in a office setting and fast pace. However I prefer steady income as opposed to commission and long hours. The after hour work is hard when u have children.
November 11, 2019
Thank you for your positive rating and feedback. We strive to provide support, guidance, training and encouragement for all of our Agents. We wish you the best on your next endeavor.
Great Place to Work
I've worked for some big companies previously, and while this isn't the biggest company it has definitely been one of the best. Great benefits, great work life balance and people who are relatable work together and make things easier.
November 11, 2019
We read all of our reviews and take the comments seriously. We appreciate all that our employees do to serve our insureds. Thanks for sharing your feedback.
productive and fun work place
Shelter is hq in columbia mo and has a good work life balance. I enjoy the people i interact with on a day to day basis ad think it is a good company to work for
November 11, 2019
Thank you for your positive rating. We appreciate all that you do to serve our insureds.
Previous Agent
Goals are not set based on area logistics. Company opened a 2nd office within 10 miles and still expected same goal. It seems based on conversations with other agents their goal is for agents to bring in clients and then let you go.
Difficult to make the numbers
You sign a two year contract saying that you will sell so many policies in that time. If you don’t, then they say goodbye. Altogether it was a good experience and good company to work for with lots of opportunities. You just have to be very competitive and aggressive to make it happen.
Was a great place to explore insurance sales.
If it weren't for my manager who was extremely hands-off, I feel I would've done much better. Sadly, I had to figure a lot of things out for myself. Any idea or suggestions I had to build the agency was met with uncaring "just try it and see what happens" responses.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shelter Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.