Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services, Inc.

Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fun workplace
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  East Point, GAJuly 13, 2018
I love working here , and i would go back without a doubt, it’s an amazing place to work especially if you love being around kids , the other teacher are AMAZING , their very understanding. They all honestly care about each person that is apart of the staff there
Bittersweet
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2018
This company is good if you're just starting, it looks nice on your resume but that's just about it. I wish they gave better benefits for employees and maybe an incentive would be great as well. I give in a lot of my personal time to this company, time that you do not get back, I wish they'd acknowledge that.
Pros
Extra hours, overtime
Cons
No breaks, draining
it's a great place to work
Fatherhood Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2018
• Worked with fathers of pre-k children, to strengthen family ties
• MICA and intervention specialist for suicidal individuals
• Helped the mentally ill, chemically addicted, and father figures to promote their child’s best interest
Pros
great job
Risky Organization
Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 19, 2018
The funding for Non-secure placement programs has decreased in recent years and it is unlikely to grow anytime soon. This will translate into poor staffing and poor training which making working with incarcerated youth increasingly risky.
Great place to gain experience
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 10, 2018
I enjoy the job. Majority of the people are nice. We were a team at the job, we always had meetings on how we could make the place better and work.....
Stressful workplace with violent children
JUVENILE COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 25, 2018
The agency does not support its front line staff. At any given time, these men and women can be brought up on allegations by the youth and be out of a job.
Pros
overtime
Cons
Thankless
Great Company
Youth Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2018
Sheltering arms children and family services is a great comany to work for. the have great company values that they work hard to stick to or change them to better work for everybody.
Do not work here!!
Head Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 24, 2018
The current Director at Harriet Tubman is a master abusing her power, and abusing of her employees. She is not fair at all. It's is sad that she is still there. At the end of the day, the children are the one suffering.
high turnover
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 1, 2018
There is no job protection and a lot of nepotism occurring. Its a who you know and not what you know environment. Upper management are not equipped to run their respective sites and most employees only work there for their salaries.Gossip is a norm and cutthroat behavior is unavoidable.
Pros
salary
Cons
nepotism
fun and family oriented
Head Teacher/Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 22, 2018
This was a very warm and welcoming environment. I enjoyed teaching the children and building safe and secure relationships with them. The parents were very helpful and understanding.
Fun Place to Work
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2018
Productive and fun place to work. Families are the company's top priority. The company can pay its employees more and management can care for their staff more
Change each day
Childcare Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2018
Was able to be a role model for younger children. Learned to be patient with out of control adolescents. Mood can change at any time. I enjoyed the people I worked around.
Productive and fun place to work
Juvenile Counselor Supervisor/Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2018
I had a great time working there i only wish i was full time to reap the benefits they had to offer. Overall I had a very good experience working there and i feel that its a good company to work for.
One of the worst child agencies I’ve ever worked for.
Juvenile counselor (Current Employee) –  QueensFebruary 8, 2018
Employees were worse than the children. They got away with bringing contraband into the faculty and were rewarded with promotions. ACS was not away of all the illegal activity that the facility I worked in was into. Kids smoking weed provided by staff. Horrible facility and management was inexperienced.
Productive Place to work in and great environment and great co-workers
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2018
I enjoy working for this agency and still do. My job is very flexible and my staff is great. I have a very supportive team all around me all the time and my director is very supportive as well.
Diverse population of clientele that are well treated.
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2018
Sheltering Arms offers a huge amount of opportunities to work with many different populations within human services. Clients are well cared for and there are many positive services offered. Staff and management are extremely helpful and the system is very open to new ideas.
Pros
A lot of opportunities to change positions and/or advance.
Cons
Too many responsibilities for one individual.
Day at office
Associate Director of Supports & Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
A typical day at sheltering arms is just a relaxing day even though we are on the high alert list. They continue to relax until the auditors come out then it becomes stressful for a little while then relax again.
Nice place to work BUT
Quality Improvement Specialist/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 16, 2018
The workplace is a nice place to work with coworkers. Also well as being flexible. However, the management at times is questionable. No place to growth and when there is management doesn't want o promote.
non productive and back ward place to work.
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  South Ozone Park, NYJanuary 5, 2018
Management misappropriates and lies about governmental funds. They do not spend the funds on DDS, Foster Care, or OPWDD clients as mandated by contracts. Human Resources Director, CFO and ED totally incompetent and does not run the programs very well.

The Board of Trustees need to revamp the organization and hire more competent people.

Very little vacation and fringe benefits offered.

Horrible place to work would not recommend to anyone. They do not value their employees and clients.
Pros
Cons
Short break, cut throat, incompetent management
Poor culture and workplace morale
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 17, 2017
Everything about this position screams “let’s be our best selves to influence the lives of the children n” & instead you have grown adults who hate themselves watching children who are crying just sitting with their other coworkers laughing ,adults being catty with one another for the sake of getting a better position and management pushing you out if you’re committed to doing the right thing
Pros
The children & it’s supposed mission
Cons
Lack of professionalism, morale, horrible management /cut throat environment / favoritism /nepotism