Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services, Inc.

Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive, Fun, exciting, safe work place
Counselor (Former Employee) –  26-01 Mott ave Far Rockaway, Ny 11693September 11, 2018
Be patient with the children
Be very understanding
Let the children know when it’s time to have and work
Everyone is willing to help you understand things there’s a lot of teamwork to get things fast and correctly
Pros
Free trips
Cons
Need more working hours
Steps
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 22, 2018
Good job for experience within the educational field. Also, opportunities for advancement. Yearly training helpful for professional as well as personally.
Miss and love majority of my co workers
Home finder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2018
It was always a hectic fast pace under pressure kind of day. However I got the hang of it. Especially with the help of my previous co workers. Its a great start to for someone who is interested in wanting a career in child welfare
The company has too many different agencies within.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2018
They acquired too many other agencies over a short time. Most of the sites were located in buildings which were unsuitable for the program. for example, the basement of Public Housing, The basements had a lot of problems like flooded classroom which were not fixed in a timely manner. They need more janitorial staff to be on site during the day.
Pros
Holiday and Seasonal celebrations
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 5, 2018
I liked working at Sheltering Arms cause at the site where I was there was only a few of us so it was a small staff and only two classrooms operating. However the school location I worked in was old and needed repairing. the difficult part about working there were doing overtime hours due to lack of staff and working with a lead teacher that wasn't a team player. The kids and some staff are what kept me going back even though at times it would get a bit challenging with some of them but that is expected sometimes when you work with children.
It is stressful but rewarding
Case Planner/ Foster Care (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2018
If you believe you can make a difference in the lives and families of children in care work hard and respect what you do, they are always hiring.Really!
Pros
offer many trainings
Cons
salaries too low.
Fun workplace
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  East Point, GAJuly 13, 2018
I love working here , and i would go back without a doubt, it’s an amazing place to work especially if you love being around kids , the other teacher are AMAZING , their very understanding. They all honestly care about each person that is apart of the staff there
stressful
Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 25, 2018
I have a very nice director but working with clients can be difficult.
I have a masters degree and i only make 40,000. That's no longer good for me. Only need a better paying job.
Pros
nice people to wprk with
Cons
pay
Bittersweet
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2018
This company is good if you're just starting, it looks nice on your resume but that's just about it. I wish they gave better benefits for employees and maybe an incentive would be great as well. I give in a lot of my personal time to this company, time that you do not get back, I wish they'd acknowledge that.
Pros
Extra hours, overtime
Cons
No breaks, draining
it's a great place to work
Fatherhood Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2018
• Worked with fathers of pre-k children, to strengthen family ties
• MICA and intervention specialist for suicidal individuals
• Helped the mentally ill, chemically addicted, and father figures to promote their child’s best interest
Pros
great job
Risky Organization
Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 19, 2018
The funding for Non-secure placement programs has decreased in recent years and it is unlikely to grow anytime soon. This will translate into poor staffing and poor training which making working with incarcerated youth increasingly risky.
Great place to gain experience
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 10, 2018
I enjoy the job. Majority of the people are nice. We were a team at the job, we always had meetings on how we could make the place better and work.....
Stressful workplace with violent children
JUVENILE COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 25, 2018
The agency does not support its front line staff. At any given time, these men and women can be brought up on allegations by the youth and be out of a job.
Pros
overtime
Cons
Thankless
Great Company
Youth Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2018
Sheltering arms children and family services is a great comany to work for. the have great company values that they work hard to stick to or change them to better work for everybody.
Do not work here!!
Head Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 24, 2018
The current Director at Harriet Tubman is a master abusing her power, and abusing of her employees. She is not fair at all. It's is sad that she is still there. At the end of the day, the children are the one suffering.
high turnover
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 1, 2018
There is no job protection and a lot of nepotism occurring. Its a who you know and not what you know environment. Upper management are not equipped to run their respective sites and most employees only work there for their salaries.Gossip is a norm and cutthroat behavior is unavoidable.
Pros
salary
Cons
nepotism
fun and family oriented
Head Teacher/Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 22, 2018
This was a very warm and welcoming environment. I enjoyed teaching the children and building safe and secure relationships with them. The parents were very helpful and understanding.
Fun Place to Work
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2018
Productive and fun place to work. Families are the company's top priority. The company can pay its employees more and management can care for their staff more
Change each day
Childcare Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2018
Was able to be a role model for younger children. Learned to be patient with out of control adolescents. Mood can change at any time. I enjoyed the people I worked around.
Productive and fun place to work
Juvenile Counselor Supervisor/Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2018
I had a great time working there i only wish i was full time to reap the benefits they had to offer. Overall I had a very good experience working there and i feel that its a good company to work for.