Shermco Industries Employee Reviews

Shermco has Outstanding Technicians and Capabilities Overall.
Corporate Sales and Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minooka, ILNovember 8, 2018
With all their strengths, they do not do a good job assimilating new locations.
But they are a force to be reckoned with in the market place.

Best part:
It was fun to meet other companies woking on jobs when they reported to us as the Project Managers.

Toughest part of the job: Dealing with their Control from HQ.
With a shortage of technicians in the local shop, you could be sent to other states for work that could last 2 weeks or more. But that is part of the job.
Pros
Spending while working was never a problem. Lunches, supplies anything we needed.
Cons
My bosses were very supportive any way I needed them to be.
Shermco Industries
Electrician Helper (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXOctober 2, 2018
I would recommend this job to everyone because it gave me more over site as a young man to be able to learn how electricians work on a daily base and have more experience under your belt as a helper in that area.
Good place to learn.
Electric Motor Technician (Former Employee) –  Irvington, TXSeptember 12, 2018
I can only speak from the MSD side of things.Shermco was a good starting place to learn the electric motor repair business. They have a nice facility and for the most part up to date equipment and machines. They have had problems with direct supervision which resulted in high costs on jobs that should have been profitable which ended up costing us money. They are working through that now and hopefully on the right track.
Pros
Chill atmosphere, Shop Foreman really does care about his guys. Decent pay for good workers
Cons
Short notice of mandatory overtime, scheduling is poor. Low pay for hard workers in the past because they use conrtractors a lot.
Lots of travel
Sr. Protection and Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 6, 2018
For the most part I enjoyed working for this company. They provide adequate training etc. I spent quite a bit of time with one of my managers after hours and became good friends etc.
Pros
Somewhat flexible with location placement
Cons
Short on promises
Large motor shop with interesting equipment to work on, but too many problems.
Electric motor rewinder (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 15, 2018
A large motor shop with interesting equipment to work on, but a lot of problems. A good crew to work with - all with good skills and a willingness to work. Still, there was far too much re-work. Poor supervision, or a lack of supervision, was I believe the root cause.
Pros
good pay and benefits, very clean shop
Cons
too much re-work, work flow was uncoordinated
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 11, 2018
We normally have a monday morning safety meeting, about situation we encounter everyday on the jobsite. Management seem to always been available for their employees, they tend to work with their employee on giving time off for personal reason. They had no issue on finding a job for their employees to work on. Management key was to make sure that each employee took a training course to make sure that we was Knowledgeable at our worksite. The culture life was very mix, we at tend to get along well with on another.The hardest part was coming into the company not knowing a single thing about the job. What made it fun was hands on getting to learn and working together as a team, we push ourselves to make sure we get the job done in a safely and timely manner. The most enjoyable part about the job is something different from the last job, encountering a new situation and learning. Learn to splice a cable doing terms, ducting and testing Delta Y transformer.
Pros
free lunch at times
Cons
heat at times
Horrendous
Sr. Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2018
Horrendous place to work due to the culture that the managers instill.
All advancements and opportunities are solely due to nepotism.
Only family or friends are put into positions to succeed. I hired in to work at an office location that they didn't even have. I was lied to from the very beginning.
Pretty good Place to work!
ENGINEERING FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 27, 2018
Shermco helped me get tthe experience i need to get a job in the power plant industry. managment works great with its emplyees on personal matters and taking time off after big jobs out of state.
Great Training and company culture
Sr. Protection and Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHMarch 15, 2018
I traveled quite a bit the first 6 months I worked for Shermco.
I then was assigned to a project in Ohio for about 5 months.
The work pace was moderate giving us plenty of time to do thing right etc. Work conditions were mostly favorable.
Some bad weather!
Pros
Company provided training courses
Cons
No vehicle provided
Not drug free
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 8, 2018
If you have a family don't bother working here. This company will promise you the world then take it all away. Management lies to your face everyday pretends to be your friend but will stab you in the back quickly. If you work hard and looking for something in return you won't get it here. If you do drugs and fail a drug test this is the company for you. Shermco will let good hard working people go and keep the people on probation that fail drug test and can't get on work on time. The management has certain people they like and if you are not in the clique your job isn't safe. Managers will tell you they will go to bat for you but that's only for certain people.
Pros
Company truck fee water
Cons
Management & HR
idiot boss
i was supposed to be an engineer (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 27, 2018
as far as i'm concerned until they get rid of the idiot that hired/fired me i wouldn't recommend shermco to anyone.

they are a bunch of idiots.........
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Review from Electrical Engineer
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 22, 2018
Working at Shermco was a pleasant but boring experience. Albeit, power isn't my cup of tea and Shermco helped me realized that. During my time there I was treated very well but the work was mundane and I had trouble finding any motivation to do the work.
Pros
Great managers and supervisors
Cons
Power line diagrams
Temporary Job
up Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2018
Was a temporary job where the employees were push extremely hard without regards to personal safety. Peolpe were let go for what I percieved to be minor issues,
Overall an okay place to work
Report Writer (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 6, 2018
Shermco is a decent company to work for. The workforce is not very diverse, but other than that. There aren't any really big complaints about this company.
Pros
They provided employment
Cons
The assignment ended
Fast pace work place
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 2, 2018
Fast pace work place full of opportunities and growth. Easy to move up. But just as easy to lose your job. Good place to learn mechanic skills. Plenty of benefits for full time employees
Pros
Free soda machine in break room
Fun place to work
Executive Liaison (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 11, 2017
Play hard, Work hard family oriented culture

Opportunities to branch out and work on various projects outside of your job scope

Activities planned outside of work

Company lunches
Pros
Flexible and a lot of opportunties to grow
Cons
Clicky high school feel
Upper management was great
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 27, 2017
Area management was very poor. No training and lots of promises that never happen. Upper management was great and supportive when you reached them. Maybe they should look into why there have been some many sales people underneath this areas manager.
productive
Lead Protection and Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 19, 2017
good people lots of travel long hours you get as much out as you put in tremendous place to learn if you want to advance and become technically proficient.
Pros
pay
Cons
politics
I like the people and environment
Corporate Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 19, 2017
I liked my manager and what I did. The workplace was relaxed and we all had fun but worked hard too. I liked what I learned and I hope that I can take those skills to another job
Good work environment
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 10, 2017
Good work environment

Management was strict but fair and very supportive

Travel was often required

18-20 hour work days in the field were not uncommon

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shermco Industries. Our community is ready to answer.