ShipStation

Working at ShipStation: 11 Reviews

United States11 reviews

Good gone bad

I loved Shipstation for most of my time there. They stood up for “the startup feel” and insisted that wouldn’t change. But it did. As companies grow, things always change, and then comes the “restructure” aka get rid of loyal, long term employees to hire younger, less compensated ones. It’s all about the corporation now. And if you aren’t a person to socialize all day, get in “good” within the groups, you’ll be an outcast. Great perks, but job security- meh.

Pros

Free lunches, snacks, drinks, open vacation, good benefits, 401k, stock plan

Cons

Changing structure, parent company making decisions, running out of parking, low stock value

Support Staff Needs Respect

Pros-relaxed dress code -remote/hybrid work - unlimited vacation -cool office? (Have only been once)ConsWhere do I begin? When I was first hired it was very obvious that the training was out of date for the current UI And are expected to learn through osmosis. The training is very poor and there is such minimal support for new agents that multitudes of them do their job off the clock to try to keep up with the work. Everyone is burnt out. We are held to insanely high standards and do not have enough time to actually get our work done. 30 minutesa day to work on complex tickets is not nearly enough. Customers think we are just basic customer support, but in reality we are L2 software support and it’s very IT oriented. They downplay how important we are and what we do to the customers so we get verbally berated constantly. They do not protect us. I also know of some coworkers who went through some extreme mental health episodes to the point where they can’t function or remember interactions anymore and they are being pushed to their limit. Everything went downhill immediately when they started using software to track our every move and decide that churning out high loads of low quality work is better than a than letting an agent take the time to give a proper response so a user will not encounter the same issue twice. They let customers say such horrible things about us to us and all of those bad reviews cannot be contested. There also is no room for advancement from support unless you are a gold star favorite.Advice to ManagementHave a legitimate department -

ShipStation insights

• Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks

Great Company Culture

My favorite aspect of working at ShipStation is the leadership and company culture. There are opportunities to volunteer, join internal organizations, career development opportunities, and workshops. I love that leadership is always encouraging individuals to bring ideas forward - whether it be a particular class, workshop, charity event etc for the company to be a part of.

Pros

benefits, healthcare, work/life balance, free lunches, charity, office perks like spin class and snacks, beautiful office space, people are inclusive

Not a place for career professionals.

My position wasn't defined before I came in the door. I had no less than five different people claim to be my direct manager. Management micromanages systems that they don't understand even on a passing level, putting the company at strong risk and ensuring everything's set up to fall apart later. Question anything and you are labeled the squeaky wheel and are tossed out without thought. Workplace culture looked great on paper but once you get your feet wet you find that everyone is terrified of speaking up because they don't want to be canned. The place could be so much better but the management (especially top leadership) is so distanced from the people who do the work that it's a lost cause. My work was chaos. Requests coming in from tons of people who had no idea what the big picture was and didn't care (and you'll be in trouble immediately if you say no to anything that doesn't make sense). Salary was well below anything in the city; I only accepted because I was promised significant advancement which never came through. Technical and business comprehension were in the gutter and were the biggest problems with working with others. This was the most stressful job I've ever been in and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Pros

Free lunches on wednesday if you're not remote

Cons

A management culture of pure toxicity

Growing and successful

This company is fast growing and changing all the time. The opportunities are there. The culture is great and lots of events and activities to be a part of.

Pros

Work/life balance and employee enrichment

Cons

If you've been at a corporate office and paid well, you might beer disappointed depending on the job you get.

Fun work environment with some start up pains

Overall ShipStation was a great place to gain some Account Management experience. The product is solid and I met a lot of amazing people there. Leadership needed some work, so even though there were a ton of office perks (yoga, cycling, every snack you could imagine) there were some growing pains that ShipStation needed to handle.

Great Company

Amazing company to work for, great benefits. The only downside is the parking situation, but other than that it was an amazing company to be a part of.

Relaxed work environment with no real opportunity

The ShipStation culture was pushed at the time of employment and while it is very relaxed with no dress code and lunches provided on Wednesdays, there is no real forward career advancement as jobs are frequently filled in secret without any notion of the opening given to current employees looking to forward their career. The pay is subpar and under the national average for the Account Manager of Sales position and the bonus structure is non-existent. Management is very "cliquey" and will promote their friends in positions without any intention of putting the best person in place for the job.

Pros

Relaxed Dress Code and free lunches on Wednesdays

Cons

No career advancement and under average pay

Management is lacking, questionable career advancement protocol

At the beginning, ShipStation appeared to be a really amazing place to work, the people and benefits definitely overshadowed the lackluster pay. The glow wore off within a few months though, and several ugly truths surfaced. Several have mentioned this fact on other job sites, and it is quite accurate: The management and "leadership" is appalling. Some of them are just immature, unprofessional, and unqualified, while others are simply passive and unsupportive. It is clear that none of them really care if anyone succeeds or makes advancements in their career there. While most of the employees are awesome people to work with, there are obvious cliques and favoritism from middle management to level one employees that is not based on anything work related, but definitely breeds and encourages a toxic work environment. Too many examples exist of really strong, driven, valuable employees being ignored, taken advantage of, or even discouraged for their efforts, while blatant malingerers are gifted promotions and bonuses, solely based on personal reasons because the higher-ups have a soft spot for them. Morale has been taking a hit for months, due to what I've written above, and a slew of other reasons there is just not time to get into here. The main point being: ShipStation may look cool and fun from the outside, but it is a hot mess when you actually work there.

Pros

unlimited pto, personalized desk/tech accommodations, snacks, friendly co-workers

Cons

Management, no career advancement, toxic environment, lack of HR

No meritocracy in this company

This company has no meritocracy or transparency. All the important positions would be filled up secretly by people who are part of the inner circle or those rub shoulders with the management. Hard work and dedication won't get you anywhere in this company.

Pros

Good work life balance.

Cons

No meritocracy and management are like a bunch of frat boys with no vision.

Cool software company, tight knit community

fun spot to work. dynamic challenges daily provided non monotonous work tasks. management was sometimes overwhelmed with their workload to help with structuring or new employees. the software had bugs every now and then but was quite functional for the most part.

Pros

free lunch friday

Cons

software crashed often

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ShipStation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
4.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

ShipStation Reviews by Location

Learn about ShipStation in popular locations

• ShipStation