Shipt Employee Reviews

Fun work environment
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 24, 2018
Im a Shipt shopper. It was nice going from such a stressful work environment to Shipt. I got to set my own schedule and if something came up I could change it. Therefore, the work life balance was great. I got to spend much more time with my family. It is very competitive if multiple people are on the schedule and in the same zone at the same time. I made a decent amount working for them, but it is not a career or anything permanent. Maybe just a nice break from your typical job or a part-time job.
Pros
Make your own schedule, vacation whenever
Cons
no benefits, not paid for gas mileage used
Last resort job
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 25, 2018
Being a Shipt shopper is a last resort gig economy job. You're lucky to make an average of $10 an hour but remember: you've gotta pay taxes, for gas, and maintenance out of that money so you end up with nothing. Your auto insurance can also be affected if they find out you're using your personal vehicle for contract work. HQ is unresponsive. Other shoppers are petty and catty. Being a shopper is not a job. You rarely make any real money. Don't be fooled by the Shopper Lounge on Facebook- they only allow sunny happy posts.
Pros
Flexible schedule, work independently
Cons
Pay, unrealistic expectations, bad management/culture
Best Job
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MISeptember 22, 2018
This job has been a blessing for many reasons financially and personal. I think you have to be a certain type of person to be able to do this job efficiently, effectively, productively and enjoy the fast pace while also genuinely enjoying the work as a whole. I personally love all of that, it energizes me. I love the job so much I would consider going full time, however that is the biggest concern I have with the company and that is uncertainty about the job security. My biggest fear is if I did go all in and I made an error or got a bad review or bad week overall I’m not sure if I would just get cut. I’ve heard of it happening. I believe the rating system could use some improvements for sure and maybe a way that serious shoppers that are wanting to make a full time job out of it could have a confidence and sense of security
Pros
Great Pay Most of the the time, fun, flexible
Cons
No job security, shopper rating and scoring system
Flexible side Job
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MIOctober 15, 2018
Making this a full time career would be difficult and would require many hours. Benefits are its flexible scheduling and picking your pay. When you accept a job you are presented with a pay range and map to delivery, allowing you to pick how much you want to make.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No benefits, Slow during daytime
Be lucky to make $36 a day
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Bountiful, UTOctober 2, 2018
I know that they are fairly new, but I can't be available 12 hours a day and only take 3 orders. There are barely any customers using the app and the most you can make is $12 per order. No one tips, if they do good for you. The hours are flexible....for the customer. I can I want to worm certain hours, but there is no guarantee that there will be any orders during that time. Mileage for your vehicle will skyrocket at best. Pick something else, save your time and effort.
Pros
Flexible hours, Weekly pay
Cons
Barely any orders available, no job security, high mileage
Great for part-time, or stay at home moms, or just want to get out of the house
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNApril 24, 2018
Only have been doing this since March 2018. I have taken the last year off of my career to spend time with my kids. I am looking for a career job, but this is an awesome job to get some extra money for my family. Took a little time to make what I think is worth the time, I think due to Shipt being fairly new in Minneapolis. People did not get that you should tip. Tips are all over the board. Makes real no sense honestly. I have made a $15 tip on a $50 order, and got no tip for a $200 order. You do get paid by Shipt not including tips.
Love that I chose when I work, where I work. This is a independent contract position so great for people with a partner that carries benefits. I don’t think this is a full time job potential.
Pros
You pick when you want and where you want to work, hour by hour.
Cons
People don’t always tip.
It's a scam
Shipt Shopper (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 14, 2018
Shipt expects you to pick up schedules and will email you threats of deactivating your account if you don't put yourself on the schedule. The worst part of that is that they do it to under pay even below minimum wage. Because it is a independent contracting license that you sign through shipt. They are not required to offer you benefits nor a minimum pay. That being said they will still expect you to schedule yourself on the schedule regularly. The pay is good only during promo orders which is extra incentive pay Shipt uses when they cant find anyone desperate enough to shop 40 items in a grocery store that will take about 2 hours. They will have the audacity to offer $8 for 2 hours worth of work and gas. Only way the pay is any good is if you take only promo orders. And god help you if you do, you'll get an angry email from Shipt asking you to stop taking promo orders and schedule yourself(they just want to underpay you) Other then that your better off working at mcdonalds or the grocery store your shopping at.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Its a scam
Stressful, unrealistic, poor customer service, poor rating system
Shopper (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 2, 2018
Shipt has unrealistic expectations for their shoppers and they don't seem to care about their shoppers either. The other day I was running behind schedule, so I called to drop an order because I had a big order coming up and I wanted to have enough time to shop the order. Shipt dropped the order, then gave it right back to me which made all of my other orders late. The training at Shipt is textbook, not actual training you can use on the job. No matter how hard you work your rating will be low! I was shopping two orders when my account was deactivated without notice and I couldn't process my orders. Horrible management!!! I wouldn't recommend Shipt to anyone I know!!!!!
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Lack of concern for shoppers, poor customer service, mediocre training, unrealistic expectations, no common sense when assigning orders to shoppers on the schedule
Low pay and stressful environment
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXAugust 31, 2018
I decided to work for Shipt for extra money while I’m looking for another job. The perks of this job is that you get to be in charge of your hours and what orders you want to pick up. However, average pay is around $9-15 each order. Gas, wear and tear are not covered. If you pick up a last minute order that is close to delivery time management does not give you extra time to get groceries and deliver. Ultimately it’s considered a “late” delivery. I’m new to Shipt and picked up an order at 3:45 that was suppose to deliver (4 -5 p.m.) By the time I got to the store it was already 4 p.m. I had 45 items to shop for and then deliver 15 mins away from the store. Arriving at the customers house at 5:20 p.m. Order is late and customer left me a 3 Star review. If only they knew how hard I worked and quick I got there order to them. Things like this should be communicated to the customer to insure they understand why there order is going to be late. Also, tips are super iffy, so don’t count on those.
Pros
In charge of your own schedule
Cons
Low pay, stressful, and lack of communication.
Shipt
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLDecember 5, 2018
This is an independent contractor position and is not a direct employee of Shipt. With this position, you are as busy as you want to be. For example, I used to shop everyday and would make $200 a day, easily. Now, I barley do it if at all since business has picked up with my business, but I can at any time. I just have to select an open order and go. The flexibility is awesome, there are no benefits in my opinion. You use your own car, phone, etc.
Pros
Flexibility, Own Boss
Cons
Pay
Stressful work not worth the pay
Shipt Shopper (Former Employee) –  Southgate, MINovember 20, 2018
I never felt as much anxiety on a job in my life. There expectations and rating system makes your job stressful. If your ratings drop then your account will be deactivated which means your fired. Their first rating system is a poor representation of your hard work but means everything to the company. They can care less about their shoppers just the customer experience.
I love working here it's so great to be your own boss!
Shopper (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 24, 2018
A typical day at work is grabbing groceries or items that customers need then safely and in a timely manner delivering the customers order. I have learned to better manage my time and I've learned how much I truly love coming to do my orders it makes me feel good to make others happy especially during the weekends when the customers are wanting to spend quality time with family so thats were us Shoppers come in at. When ever there is a concern management is quick and efficient or helping us Shoppers that truly care about us out there. There really isn't a hard part of the job one just has to be excited, fast paced, and always paying attention to detail. I will always have this as my job.
Typical Day and Challenges
Independent Contractor: Shopper (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 21, 2018
You wait by the phone for the Shipt Shopper app to notify you of offered orders. Once an order is accepted, you shop and purchase the requested products using a prepaid card. You then deliver the products to the customer during their specified delivery window. You are an independent contractor so you set your own hours. Getting orders is competitive with the orders being offered first to the shoppers with the highest ratings.
Pros
Set your own schedule. Can change schedule at any time.
Cons
Low pay. Competition for orders. Unpredictable weekly income. No compensations for mileage.
Not What Is Advertised
Shopper (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 14, 2018
They tell you make 20-25 an hour that's only if you're only filling promo orders at peak hours of the day and that does include gas. More than one instance customers were unresponsive and I had to return groceries. No opportunity for any advancement or raises even for shoppers who are always on time and reviewed well. People find any reason to not give you five stars. You make much closer to 8-12 an hour, with no benefits and not including all the gas and car maintenance. Get a real job and if you don't want to than work at Uber Eats or Lyft, much better money.
Pros
make your own schedule
Cons
low wages, stressful
Fun but hard to get work sometimes
Freelance shopper (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 12, 2018
I really enjoy doing Shipt but there is little job security if you aren't in the right area. It is also annoying that the offers you get depend on your rating, but there is zero opportunity to learn why someone gave you anything other than a 5, if they do not click any of the buttons for negative feedback. I have never received specific negative feedback from a customer that I have had access to see, yet have a 4.8. HQ will not tell you anything about any feedback anyone has left you outside of the weekly summary of positive and negative feedback (just based on the 3 buttons the customer could have clicked for either).
Pros
Flexible hours, fun work, tips
Cons
Not a steady income, lack of feedback
Accurate, On-Time, Awesome
Shopper (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 11, 2018
This is a great job!! The company is wonderful and the concept is wonderful and I am so grateful to them for helping me get through the nursing classes I was taking and helping to pay off the debt. And when my PTSD got really bad and I couldn't bring myself to leave the house I was really glad Shipt was around to deliver healthy fresh food so I didn't have to live off canned salty bad for you food.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no benefits
great idea, results yet to be seen
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA, Mechanicsburg PAOctober 8, 2018
I was skeptical. I mean the interview process is totally online and I was wondering if it was even legit and hesitant to give my banking info for direct deposit after hired but my hire kit with a shirt and company credit card came in the mail with my link to the employee site and I talked to my bank and they said yes they have other deposits coming in so AMEN it is for real!!! Still I waited a few weeks just reading messages and seeing what other employees were talking about and watching their videos and learning their shopping tips. Got a reminder checking on me to make sure I got my credit card since I hadn't activated it or sent in my banking info to complete my set up and put myself on the schedule, just been watching. Now I'm ready to jump in. I think this is a great idea but from what I have seen not enough work when I am available to work, still kinda new so maybe it will pick up soon. I'm looking at it as a side hustle not a major source of income, but I'm between jobs right now so I could really use some workflow! * (How can you rate the CEO of a company when most likely you've never interacted with them?All I have to go on are the things I've read in the Shipt Shopper Lounge chatroom for employees about how the company helped some of its employees after the recent natural flooding disasters and the mentor-ship program they offer to newbies so that is what I'm basing my rating on.)
Pros
set own schedule, grocery shopping is relaxing to me so it doesn't seem like work, Get to shop without spending my own money, I like helping people, Get to meet interesting people
Cons
no healthcare benefits, no work when I'm available, Not my usual stores for shopping so have to learn the layout, Need my GPS to find delivery locations.
I was fired and was not given an explanation
Shopper (Former Employee) –  Washington DCOctober 23, 2018
I worked for Shipt for less than 3 weeks before I was fired. Last week I took last minute orders and was penalized for them being late. The customers are rude, people who live in an apartment expect you to carry everything up heavy or not and they do not tip you afterwards. I had a order where a customer ordered 2 cases of water and groceries, she lived on the 4th floor there was an elevator but she lived 4 minutes from the elevator. I had to make two trips, when i got to the apartment it was her and her husband. They didnt offer to help nor tip. Shipt is on the customer side no matter what they say. They sent me a vague email saying i was deactivated and I asked why and never got a response. The pay is low and they do not reimburse. They say we dont need permission to substitute but then customers get angry. I made over $700 in a week and the BOOM IM FIRED. The distances between store and delivery are insane. Customers dont answer or respond in a timely manner, there are codes and restrictions to neighborhoods. It is just a poor system. Will not recommend. No matter how hard you work, you are liable to get fired without notice if customers rate you bad.
Pros
Flexibility, Self administered, good extra money sometimes
Cons
Everything, rating, tips, mileage, pay, orders, rude customers, pressured shopping
Do not bother. In Westchester, NY area you are lucky to make $10 an hour
shopper (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYOctober 15, 2018
I tried it out because I am in grad school and thought how great the extra money with flex hours would be. It was a bit of a nightmare. First, you pay for gas, parking etc. and where I was (White Plains) you pay for parking (that's usually about $2 per order). It took me way over the time expected to shop because many times they are out of stock of this and that (constantly had to keep texting the customers) PLUS they don't have good service at this particular store so every time I wanted to text I had to go to the front of the store for service. I gave it a go for 2 weeks and after crunched numbers just to realize I was making about $9.75 an hour. Great for Shipt and Target AWFUL for shoppers. That was my experience. I hope your's goes better if you give it a shot.
Pros
flex hours
Cons
pay awful below min wage
not a good job if you have anxiety
Shipt Shopper (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 13, 2018
your role at Shipt is managed through an app which allows you to create your own schedule.

they pay you 7.5% of the customer's receipt, plus $5 ...
so if a customer pays $100 you get $12.50 ($7.5 + $5)

The only complaints I have are:

- you aren't guaranteed any shopping orders, they just come to you randomly... so there were a few days i put myself on the schedule and had to be on call but nothing ever came

- there are also some bugs within the app itself... i wish things were arranged in a more efficient way

- the app crashes sometimes

- if you have social anxiety or freak out over being pressed for time, this is not a good job for you
Pros
make your own schedule, good if you need a little money ASAP
Cons
hectic, takes a lot of planning, i think we should get paid more

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shipt. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Shipt.

Powered by Comparably