Shipt Employee Reviews

So far so good....
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 16, 2018
I am a new shopper at Shipt. I love it so far! My pay is averaging just about what Shipt promises. If you are in a busy metro, are familiar with grocery stores, are a people pleaser and a problem solver, you will succeed. Not a lot of driving, most of my orders have all been less than 10 min away. My first one was 5 min away. I also run my own skin care biz full time and worked in restaurants for 18 years. This job is perfect for people who are NOT new to commission only jobs, have had restaurant or food industry exp, or customer service orientated jobs and are self starters. You make what you want and set your own sales goals. Members have been so nice so far, it's a fairly easy job but you have to be aware and have extreme attention to detail + plus good personality and communication skills. Hope this helps! I plan on working for Shipt for quite a bit longer as my side hustle. It's really fun job. Tiring sometimes but you will definitely get in shape. Love it! 💚💚💚💚💚
Pros
Working solo, setting your own schedule
Cons
Mid week can be slow
Do not bother. In Westchester, NY area you are lucky to make $10 an hour
shopper (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYOctober 15, 2018
I tried it out because I am in grad school and thought how great the extra money with flex hours would be. It was a bit of a nightmare. First, you pay for gas, parking etc. and where I was (White Plains) you pay for parking (that's usually about $2 per order). It took me way over the time expected to shop because many times they are out of stock of this and that (constantly had to keep texting the customers) PLUS they don't have good service at this particular store so every time I wanted to text I had to go to the front of the store for service. I gave it a go for 2 weeks and after crunched numbers just to realize I was making about $9.75 an hour. Great for Shipt and Target AWFUL for shoppers. That was my experience. I hope your's goes better if you give it a shot.
Pros
flex hours
Cons
pay awful below min wage
Shipt is great!
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 15, 2018
I love being a Shipt shopper and have been one for nearly a year. It’s hard to calculate what I make per hour since different orders vary on payout and time needed to complete. At least half of my customers tip. Some orders aren’t really “worth it” based on payout, tip, time to shop and deliver. Some, however, are very lucrative so it averages out.

Working weekends is a great way to get orders. Making up your own schedule is the biggest perk! I can work as much or little as I choose at any time of day. Can’t beat that!

Shipt itself is good to the members and shoppers. I feel valued by the company.
Pros
Scheduling flexibility
Cons
Some members don’t tip or tip little. Advertised hourly average is a little deceptive.
Flexible side Job
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MIOctober 15, 2018
Making this a full time career would be difficult and would require many hours. Benefits are its flexible scheduling and picking your pay. When you accept a job you are presented with a pay range and map to delivery, allowing you to pick how much you want to make.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No benefits, Slow during daytime
Avoid. They’re like a cult
Shopper (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 12, 2018
Shipt is the weirdest CREEPIEST company I’ve ever done work for in 35 years. Their mentors are Bizarre. They scrub the internet clean if negative comments.

Most importantly, they purposely and intentionally HIDE the payout percentage, which is 7.5% plus $5 on the order total. I had to call 14 times, wrote 12 emails, spoke to 5 “supervisors” posted on the shipt corporate FB page (which they deleted) to find out how they calculate the payouts. They never did reveal it!
I had to find it on Reddit. That is BIZARRE. It’s posted nowhere on the app or in writing. Many people will comment about that. How do they get away with that?
Very few customers tip. The only way to make any decent money is to shop 2 orders at a time, but they make you complete 10 orders before you can accept/shop 2 orders at one time. So that’s 10 times you’re going to work and use your car for 4 or 5 dollars an hour. The other way to make money is by doing Promo orders which are orders so small that no one wants to do them, so they add additional compensation to them to get someone to accept it.

This is a desperation gig. Only to be done if desperate. For,pocket change.thyenoreynin young women, mothers, housewives with deception about high hourly rates. They maintain a high profile because they are the masters at deleting comments, scrubbing he internet and removing any negative commentary. The fact that they are still luring people in with the lies of $20 an hour is despicable.
Stay away.
Pros
None, app is horrendously bad
Cons
Cult mentality, non transparent, lies and deceit
don't really care
Team Member (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 8, 2018
i don't really care about this job. easy way to make side money. i don't like the fact that the busiest times are when the weather is terrible. people don't care about your well being
great idea, results yet to be seen
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA, Mechanicsburg PAOctober 8, 2018
I was skeptical. I mean the interview process is totally online and I was wondering if it was even legit and hesitant to give my banking info for direct deposit after hired but my hire kit with a shirt and company credit card came in the mail with my link to the employee site and I talked to my bank and they said yes they have other deposits coming in so AMEN it is for real!!! Still I waited a few weeks just reading messages and seeing what other employees were talking about and watching their videos and learning their shopping tips. Got a reminder checking on me to make sure I got my credit card since I hadn't activated it or sent in my banking info to complete my set up and put myself on the schedule, just been watching. Now I'm ready to jump in. I think this is a great idea but from what I have seen not enough work when I am available to work, still kinda new so maybe it will pick up soon. I'm looking at it as a side hustle not a major source of income, but I'm between jobs right now so I could really use some workflow! * (How can you rate the CEO of a company when most likely you've never interacted with them?All I have to go on are the things I've read in the Shipt Shopper Lounge chatroom for employees about how the company helped some of its employees after the recent natural flooding disasters and the mentor-ship program they offer to newbies so that is what I'm basing my rating on.)
Pros
set own schedule, grocery shopping is relaxing to me so it doesn't seem like work, Get to shop without spending my own money, I like helping people, Get to meet interesting people
Cons
no healthcare benefits, no work when I'm available, Not my usual stores for shopping so have to learn the layout, Need my GPS to find delivery locations.
Flexibility is the only perk
Contractor (Current Employee) –  MichiganOctober 7, 2018
I started Shipt shopping and really liked it to begin with. The biggest problem is the rating system. I am not against the customers being able to rate you, but you have absolutely no feedback on what you did wrong. They say their shopper coaches will be able to let you know more, but they can't really tell you anything. They will probably respond to this with that same copy and pasted response you see on all of these reviews.
You simply cannot control what people will rate you- even when you've done everything well. They could literally knock you down on rating for not liking the car you drive or the accent you have or whatever. The rating is what controls your job security so your job security is in the hands of people who are well off and lazy enough to have their groceries delivered(not the most empathetic of individuals). I have had orders where I have not had to substitute anything, communicated with the customer through the whole shop, dropped off in the first fifteen minutes of the delivery window, had her check over their order, and was then given 4 stars. Why? I will never know. As a contractor you should have a right to know what went wrong and have the ability to try to make it right. I have just fallen to a 4.6(4.7 is what you are expected to maintain) so I'm waiting to be canned. When I first started I read some of these reviews and naively assumed that the people complaining about the ratings were just bad shoppers, but I should have listened.
My first week I also witnessed, on more than one occasion, veteran shoppers calling to "rat out" newer shoppers about
  more... things that I'm sure the newbies we're unaware of. Where I come from you would try to give your fellow workers some tips or give them a nudge in the right direction. Not here. Other shoppers want you to fail so there is more work for them. I once saw a woman with one of those "1000" shop shirts and she was mid phone call reporting a woman who had her baby with her. Ironically she was doing so while talking trash with the WHOLE ADULT PERSON she was having help her shop. That is a big no-no in Shipt world, but apparently she was above that. Astounding. These are the people Shipt keeps around.
Sad because it has the opportunity to be an amazing side hustle.
Pros
Hours, flexibility
Cons
Broken ratings, other shoppers, no company support
Shopping for Shipt
Shipt Shopper (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 6, 2018
If you like to shop (and don't require healthy wages) this job is probably perfect for you.

You are essentially on call when you sign onto Shipt. You log into their very easy to use app and sign in for the hours you choose to work. However, there are no guarantees that you will even get an order during those scheduled hours.

Peak hours are 3 pm - 8 pm. ALWAYS plan on getting to your store to shop EARLY. Orders can take longer than estimated: Some items are difficult to find and you'll probably need to substitute items when the store is out of stock. Interacting with the customer for order changes can be time consuming. Not to mention the lines at the checkout counter. And traffic!

A sample size of 16 orders averaged $11.10 per order. Larger orders pay better, but can take up to 2 hours to complete. An average order takes between 30 - 45 minutes (not including delivery time). The tips are the difference maker --- IF you get tipped. My same sample size of 16 orders: Only 8 customers tipped me, netting an average tip of $6.52 per order. Shipt does not reimburse you for your travel time or your mileage. They pay strictly for the shop. You eat the rest.

Not a bad deal for Shipt. Not a great deal for their independent contractors. Welcome to the world of W-9's. I highly recommend keeping a mileage log so you can deduct all of those miles.

I did the math and was averaging just under $12 per hour. Not enough when you consider all of the costs incurred.
Pros
Scheduling Flexibility, Easy & Relaxing Work (When You're Early)
Cons
Poor Pay, Inconsistent Customer Demand, Excessive Mileage
Great job
Personal grocery shopper (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 4, 2018
Make your own hours, at your own pace. Everything is in your time. If you don’t wanna work on Tuesday. DONT WORK! It’s great especially while going to school and you can make some extra bucks
Pros
Aweosme
Be lucky to make $36 a day
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Bountiful, UTOctober 2, 2018
I know that they are fairly new, but I can't be available 12 hours a day and only take 3 orders. There are barely any customers using the app and the most you can make is $12 per order. No one tips, if they do good for you. The hours are flexible....for the customer. I can I want to worm certain hours, but there is no guarantee that there will be any orders during that time. Mileage for your vehicle will skyrocket at best. Pick something else, save your time and effort.
Pros
Flexible hours, Weekly pay
Cons
Barely any orders available, no job security, high mileage
I want to love Shipt, but they make it hard.
Shopper (Current Employee) –  SW FloridaOctober 2, 2018
The concept is good, but it just doesn't work for me. For starters, I regularly have problems with the app. This has caused me to get a late marking for a job that I completed on time and that I marked as delivered. It has also caused me to be sent jobs for a time I wasn't on the schedule that I then had to turn down, which caused another mark. I've had them send me a large order for a time that I already have a large order scheduled and get marked for not accepting that second order. But they clearly state that they won't send you an order for a time that you're already booked. I once shopped an entire order and was picking up the last few items when the order disappeared. When I called the help line, all they could tell me is that they no longer saw the order. That was wasted time and gas and I wasn't paid anything for that order.

I have never made $22/hr on just the order. I have made it with tips, when I get tips, but by the time you factor in gas that you spent, it's far less than $22/hr. Also, I can't figure out how they factor the pay. I have shopped orders and delivered within the first five minutes of the delivery window only to get paid the lowest amount in the range. Probably my biggest issue is that you don't know exactly where the order is until you accept it. Even when you choose the "zone" that you want to be in, you could be anywhere in that zone. Depending on the city, that zone can be quite large. This has led to me having a large order in one part of a zone and then having another large order in another part of the same zone with deliveries
  more... still in other parts of the zone. Recently I had an order that the grocery store was about a 30 minute drive from the delivery address in the woods, in the dark. The grocery store for my next order was a solid 45 minutes from that delivery address, but they were all in the same "zone." Anything that I made that night was eaten up in gas. I didn't even make it to my next order, because of how far apart they were, the grocery store was closed by the time I got there. Zones are also strangely created. There's a zone that starts five minutes from my home, but stretches 20 minutes from my house. If the delivery is near my house, but the store is 20 minutes away, that's 40 minutes of drive time, plus shopping time that could be 40 minutes or longer, only to make $10 on the order. Now I've spent an hour and 20 minutes on this order and really only made about $5.00, when you factor in gas. None of this seems to be factored in when sending out bookings.  less
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Low pay, time consuming, app issues, customer service not really helpful, some grocery stores items don't match in the app
Rough Job on your car and pay is all over the place, TIPS are king.
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLSeptember 23, 2018
The numbers that shipt boasts 15-25/hour are a lie. The more common number $7-$12 You only get that if the customer tips and it usually takes over an hour closer to 2 hours for a large shop because of travel time. Store time can take up to an hour and then driving can take up to 30 min if not more. You cannot choose what store you want to work in your area if there is more than one in your zone. And you can expect delivery addresses that are 30 min away, probably more because of traffic. If you don't hate driving through a lot of traffic for minimum pay and putting a lot of miles on your car its decent side money. You HAVE to accept shops or your acceptance rate (AR) suffers because you don't want to drive across town for $7. Not all customers even give tips and a good amount of them are $5 or less. Some are generous but don't expect it. Sundays are the best to work just because of the sheer mass of orders available. But sundays tips are fairly rare to get.
Pros
weekly pay, and occasional good tips
Cons
lots of stress for small pay, tips aren't guaranteed, tons of miles on your car
Best Job
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MISeptember 22, 2018
This job has been a blessing for many reasons financially and personal. I think you have to be a certain type of person to be able to do this job efficiently, effectively, productively and enjoy the fast pace while also genuinely enjoying the work as a whole. I personally love all of that, it energizes me. I love the job so much I would consider going full time, however that is the biggest concern I have with the company and that is uncertainty about the job security. My biggest fear is if I did go all in and I made an error or got a bad review or bad week overall I’m not sure if I would just get cut. I’ve heard of it happening. I believe the rating system could use some improvements for sure and maybe a way that serious shoppers that are wanting to make a full time job out of it could have a confidence and sense of security
Pros
Great Pay Most of the the time, fun, flexible
Cons
No job security, shopper rating and scoring system
Fun and customer oriented
Shipt Shopper (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 21, 2018
This company is to die for....it cares about you and the customers. It wants you to communicate with the customer from beginning to end. This company has a goal earning potential with rewards.
Pros
Make my own schedule
Cons
Don't get paid if you don't work
Do not buy into the "average hourly wages" - wildly variable, unreliable
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 19, 2018
Remember this: the statistics you see everywhere, saying the average Shipt shopper makes over $20 an hour (and most make well over that!), as your "potential" hourly wages is based on their initial rollouts in major, large, and pricey places to live - where prices are high, thus percentages of the base pay are higher, and that pumps up the wage to a falsely inflated number. If you live in regular ol' America, USA, your base wage isn't going to break minimum wage levels, and you WILL need to hope, pray, and hustle that whoever you are shopping and delivering for believe in tips, and understands that a MAJOR part of your wage is indeed, based on the tips you earn from customers. For good or bad, that is the case. And for bad or otherwise, do your homework, read up, and see how many people out there have some real disdain for Shipt, Instacart, and other luxury service delivery providers, believing you don't need, nor deserve, or even warrant a tip - because you're being "paid enough" by Shipt (or fill in the blank with whatever shared-econ business you're thinking of working for). This isn't about hustle. And it's not about Shipt being a bad idea. It's about the cultural perception that even after you've carrier 4 cases of Coke, and three 24 bottle packs of water into their home, somehow you still don't warrant anything more than a "see ya!" and be on your way.
Part of this isn't just the customer base - a big part of this is the wishy-washy way in which Shipt has positioned tipping as not being necessary, but always appreciated. Newsflash: when you create a pay scenario where
  more... "pseudo-employees" can't make the minimum wage without tips and then give the OK for customers to blow off tipping, you are complicit in creating a no-win situation of using and abusing the system (in this case, the system being Shipt workers).

Great concept. Interesting. But workers beware. It's not just how much hustle you have, attitude, great communication, or otherwise. In many new and upcoming Shipt markets, without a solid and reliable base of tips, you might find this to be one heck of a difficult gig, for a low-low pay.
Pros
Self-management, Flexibility
Cons
Hard to manage breaks, unrealistic customer expectations, low hourly wages
Do Not work here
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 18, 2018
Dont let the $22 an hr fool u. They sent me orders all over the place my 4-5 was sent to me and I was 45 mins away even tho I hustled thru the store practically running and that order was still late by 15mins, then the next one was another 25 mins away, no matter how much you hustle forget it. It's a total waste of time. And u only make roughly $11 an hr. Sont waste ur time, gas or breath
Great Company for Independent Contract Work
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2018
Shipt is a great company to work for. It's perfect as a supplemental income as pay is not consistent. Pay is based on the shop total at the cash register and heavily relies on tips to make it worth while. Without tips, it wouldn't be worth it.

You can schedule yourself as much or as little as you want. The more you shop, the more orders you can potentially get.

Headquarters, for the most part, is very responsive. I do feel that the customer is protected to the extreme and the shoppers are not. Example - if you are rated poorly by a customer their is absolutely NO feedback. You will get a status report at the end of every week but there is no information that will identify what you did wrong or what they didn't like. How can you improve if you don't know what you did wrong? If you get enough bad ratings, you can be removed from the platform. If you don't know what you are doing wrong, how can you improve?

All in all, you have to work for the money (but it's FUN and the Shipt family is GREAT), you can schedule as much or as little as you want, and there's no one telling you that you can't take a vacation!
Pros
Flexibility, good pay if you get tips, meeting great people, sense of accomplishment, helping others.
Cons
No taxes are withheld - you pay when you file
A horrible company stuck in their southern roots
Shopper (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 13, 2018
What a joke. Shipt is paranoid and they take their shoppers for granted, if you really want to know what Shipt thinks of their shoppers, read the FAQ for customers about shoppers. The company refuses to admit the relationship between Shopper and Shipt and or explain the pay so that customers really understand that Shoppers are dependent on tips and use their own vehicles. Don’t let $22 per hour lure you in because that’s absolutely FALSE!
Pros
Meeting great local people
Cons
The company’s way of doing business! They suck
Super flexible
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 13, 2018
Being a shopper is super flexible. You have complete control over your schedule. You don't have to clear time off with anyone. Great for anyone really, but especially students, or stay at home parents, people needing to supplement their income.
Pros
Flexible, Good environment, Good shopper support
Cons
Work isn't always steady, Shopper pay doesn't really account for wear and tear on vehicles

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shipt. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight