Shipt
Happiness rating is 70 out of 100

Shipt Employee Reviews

United States1,532 reviews

Found 1,532 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,542 reviews

Flexible schedule. Good tips from customers

The app is easy to use. The hiring process was simple and quick. The base pay for some orders can be low but customers tip well. Customer service responds fast via live chat. The available orders have diminished since covid restrictions have been lifted so there isn’t as many opportunities to make money.

Pros

Flexible; great tips

Cons

Very few available orders

Be your own boss!

This has been my lifeblood for the past 3 years. Support can be a little slow, but overall everything else is super manageable! From jamming out on the way to dropoff to helping load an elderly person’s fridge, it’s a rewarding job.

Shipt insights

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Supportive environment

Overall Shipt is a relaxed job to have because it legit is on your own time. The ratings is kind of unfair especially because I feel customers can be quit difficult at times. Sometimes they take their time to respond. Poor communication especially when delivering packages to apartment buildings. The floor, the area and them wanting us to Cary 6+ bags to their floors. I feel it should be left in lobby like other packages. It effects our scoring. Also they get fiesty when we are late knowing they ordered 20+ items that the store may not have or are not in the designated section. It’s disrespectful. I usually don’t even care for a tip because I get paid for an order but for them to give a low rating when we completed their order correctly is outrageous when their cars are parked in their driveway. It’s comical. Shipt is very helpful when you call for help with anything. They answer less thrn 30 seconds always and always have a solution to an issue which I appreciate. I have enjoyed working for this company because I clear my mind and make good pay As a side job. But I suggest you don’t quit your regular job. Do this on your spare time or if you need a break from… reality. Remember you are an asset.

Pros

Great pay. Getting out the house, clearing your mind, Adrenaline rush at the end of the day

Cons

poor communication, frustration when stores don’t have the items

Just another typical gig comlany

They will run you into the ground and find as many ways as they can to keep you from hitting your bonus. They will offer 40 for 8 orders in one day and then they will offer you 45 dollars for 12 orders over 4 days. Don't bother criticizing them over chat and call the company "*unts" because they will just deactivate you. Any other gig company supports their drivers far better than this one that is for sure. I will spew nothing but negativity when it comes to this company. Only asked for support a total of 5 times and 3 of those times they were agumentative and plan rude. A person can only put up with being treated like a number before they snap and say the company is bunch of runts with a capital C

Super fun and quite competitive

I love to shop. So, shopping for others is pretty fun. Most customers are friendly and understanding. The app is easy to use and it’s pretty straightforward. Shipt has quite a few cool incentives for being a personal shopper, it’s nice to take advantage of.

Flexible and independent

I love the flexibility and that you are your own boss. If a order needs to be cancelled you sometimes get credit if you did some of the work. The tips are amazing sometimes. Even if I get a full time job elsewhere I will keep this as back up and earn extra cash but it can be full time if you live in a busy area and hustle. I can easily make 500 (includes tips and make sure you keep gas in mind) in 2-3 days and I don't even live in a very busy area

Hard to have a steady income

Considering that you make your own schedule to speak, you only get paid if you work. However, since there is so many people signing up for Shipt, there's less offers for others and sometimes when you want to work, you can't. Shipt is also unorganized when it comes to giving offers to zones that are actually close (location wise). Sometimes you get offers for delivery in areas outside of said zone and it doesn't make sense to accept it if A.) it doesn't pay enough or B.) you're spending more money on gas than what you're getting back. That too, they need to pay more for the orders you do. They depend it on the number of items you shop without taking into account that you still have to drive and deliver the items and tips aren't required.

Shipt is... something.

Working at Shipt has one simple issue... you are expendable. The job is so populated that there will always be somebody who picks up the grunt work. This means Shipt gets to keep the base pay low, relying far too heavily on customer tips, and keeping employee turnover high. At least they have "okay" tech teams for helping shoppers with issues.

A lot of work for little pay

Most of the hood orders are target or bundle orders. Realistically if you looks at it, the bundle orders aren’t worth your time. A 11 bundle order would typically be for 2 customers which means you’re dropping off two order 15+ minutes for no tip. Majority of the customers don’t tip especially the ones that order a ton of stuff. I had to carry 15 26 pack of Poland spring water up to the 2nd floor for no tip!!!!! Shipt should charge an extra fee depending on the items the customer order.

They've changed, and not for the better

Pay and order availability used to be higher. They've allowed too many people to join in very small cities now there are hardly any orders for this to even make you any money. They have changed the amount each order is worth which made the pay go down significantly. This used to be the best and highest paying independent contractor job of it's type. It's not worth it. And if customers give a bad review trying to scam and get their money back the company just takes their word and doesn't even investigate. They just fire you without warning

Pros

Own schedule

Cons

Low pay, bad customer service/management

Good and bad.

Good - pay (w/tips)Work when ever you want.No micromanagingHelp when you need itBad - pay (w/o tips)Gas pricesFirst come first serve on picking up ordersI wish Shipt would give offers that are closest to you and not the whole city. If you work for Shipt make sure you know your city enough to know how long it takes to get across the marketplace you work in. You have an hour or so to get an order, drive to the store, shop (on big orders it can take 45mins), check out (this takes time), load car, drive to drop off, carry bags to the front door, submit on app of the completed delivery and then start the process all over again. All while being in contact with the customer, letting them know when you start shopping, any substitutions with their order, when you are done and on they way and when the order has been dropped off. You do this process on every order for the estimated pay. I've seen it range from $6.00 - $27.00 per order. If you add tips then it feels worth it. If you did all that work and you only get base pay it does not. Make sure when you accept an order that you are content with the base pay, that way any tips are a bonus. It is great when you are able to stop working for any life reason. ie. Lunch, doctor's appointment, family events, mental health days. Just know the more you work the more you make. With you deciding when you work you are in control of your work life balance. Hope this helps, there are many more pros and cons, it depends on what you consider good and bad.

Fun shopping for customers and delivering orders to them.

I enjoy shopping for customers and scanning items into the app. I communicate with them through the app if I have questions or if they need to substitute items if not available. Almost all customers are friendly and are appreciative. I enjoy making people happy.

Flexible, "straight-forward" work, but at the mercy of customer ratings

The only reason Shipt (and other gig jobs) are even worth it in California now is because of Prop 22. It doesn't "really" matter low Shipt pays you for a single order because they will have to pay you 120% of your city's minimum wage for active hours worked, which ends up being $19-20/hr (not including tips and mileage reimbursement).My grievances are with the Rating System, Out-of-Stock Item, and Item Substitutions.Customers can rate you for any reason that might be unrelated to your actual performance (e.g. app issues) and your rating will plummet; thus, affecting amount of orders you will receive. As shoppers, we can't even rate customers. You can however apply for Rating and Late Delivery Forgiveness.So many items are out-of-stock at stores, which leads me to my next point, substitutions.If a customer doesn't already choose a substitute for an item in the the app, the shopper must (should) contact the customer about appropriate substitutes. Some customers don't respond, so you're just waiting.. If they continue to not respond, you can just substitute it in the app and message them of the substitution, or say out-of-stock and carry on. But it is just a waste of time.It would be much easier for both parties, for the customer to just choose a substitute so no-one needs to talk to each other, going back and forth.

Pros

Flexible Work Schedule

Cons

Rating System, Lack of Orders, Dealing with Item Substitutions

OK side gig, So-so pay, inconsistent orders

As a shopper, the pay used to be quite good. However, they reduced bonus pay per order from $20-$30 down to $15 max, and that is if you accept the order within 5 minutes of the delivery window. It is not as easy to keep a full shopping schedule because they have hired so many shoppers. Be aware: if you shop a prepaid order that gets cancelled, they will only pay you $5 regardless of how much driving you did, how much shopping you did or regardless of how much the expected pay should have been. Also, if you put yourself on the schedule, you may get orders offered to you during that time, but you have no way to specify which store you want to shop or what size orders you would prefer to take. And you will permanently lose any certifications you earned if you make even one mistake - no probation, no warning, no second chance. Otherwise, the customer service at Shipt HQ is quite helpful and friendly to work with if you ever need anything. The pay comes weekly, but you have access to get it sooner (for a fee) if you want.

Very flexible have to be self motivated to be successful

You make it or break it with this company. You have to be aggressive if you want to work. Its independent contract, so keep that in mind when you are planning.

The pay is a complete joke.

The pay comes out to about $8/hour, with wear and tear on your car, and the current inflated gas prices. At this point, you're nearly losing money to take this job. It's a complete joke and I'm mostly annoyed that they wasted my time with registering at all.

It’s ok

Pays not very good and people don’t tip, no benefits. Not reallyWorth the timeAnd effort to waste gas and barely get paid. They also don’t appreciate you

Flexible

Very flexible hours which is to be expected as an independent contractor. I have not done this for two years now but during the pandemic when gas prices were quite cheap I was able to make a lot of profit.

Pretty cool job.

You set your own schedule. It's nice. Easy to use app, quick support to call. Very easy to do. Sometimes the customers suck but it's okay when support helps you.

From a Shopper

Was good before Covid, and primary income. Many changes and a whole lot of new shoppers just trying to make $ without a heart for doing the job thoroughly. Many have pulled tricks to low rate veteran shoppers and increase their own offers/$. Sadly, Shipt has not heeded and lets good shoppers take the hit for bad shoppers, unethical customers, and poor management/practices. They do offers based on ratings, but ratings often are unfair - and even if shopper has text or photo proof - shipt usually wont change it. So shopper spends a month or two scrounging for orders to counter the 1 bad. Shipt no longer pays shoppers well enough that one would expect thorough and pristine service. $6-10 to drive to store, shop, communicate with cust, then deliver. Also Shipt now holds orders until just enough time to shop and deliver per their estimated timeline. Us Vets would leave home to shop for our preferred customers, but Shipt is now giving our preferred to other shoppers or in metro pool to be grabbed by anyone. The bonuses are a joke. Different for the areas and different for people within the same area. But if Shipt has saturated with low level shoppers who hoard orders, one rarely can get the bonus. And yes - Ill say it, Shipt has a way of softly shadowbanning shoppers. So use them/let them shop when needed, and then when they're good...shadowban goes back on. Also favortism - no shopper can have done 1000+ shops with a perfect 5.0. Impossible

Lack of work

Lack of work too many employees the field became over saturated post pandemic. Very low wages paying out for orders not enough to compensate for the hike in gas prices

Common questions about Shipt

Answered by current and former employees at Shipt

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shipt. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.5Personal Development
4.2Career Opportunities
3.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight