Shodair Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Dietary Aide to Dishwasher
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTApril 23, 2018
I was hired as a dietary aide. then a few weeks later the hospital changed companies, Under new management I became the new dishwasher. I was also paid pretty low. for how many years of experience I had.
Shodair CHildren's Hospital
Licensed Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Helena, MT 59601January 26, 2018
Shodair can be fast-paced and challenging to work in as a psychologist. However, there were multiple opportunities to contribute and good supervision by the medical director and support from the other psychiatrists. There were not a lot of future growth opportunities as the psychology department was just me, however there will hopefully the department will expand in the future.
Pros
Team atmosphere
Cons
stressful, fast paced
Great Mission, Trying to Excel
Activities Assistant (Current Employee) –  Helena, MT 59601January 11, 2018
Stressful occupation, improving on formerly toxic environment, striving to improve, providing excellent care in many situations. Tough work. Not for the faint of heart. Challenging work, great rewards. Most are here because they love the kids. The kids are great little humans.
Pros
Kids/patients, Coworkers
Cons
Stress, Compensation
Management sucked but fun and full of experiences working here
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTDecember 6, 2017
I felt like I was constantly overworked and burned out. They are constantly understaffed and you end up having to take even more hours on because of this, which is great for the paycheck but you do need some downtime as well. I also felt like when there was problems within the work place with coworkers or how things where being run you could not speak to the manager or nurses about how you felt. You had to make sure to just not say anything or you may get reported and than were constantly being watched.
Pros
good healthcare and benefits
Cons
poor wage
Rewarding but challenging place to work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTNovember 28, 2017
This job provided me with valuable nursing experience. The unit where I worked, the acute unit, served patients that were in a mental health crisis. This often made the environment challenging and stressful; however, my fellow nurses (both LPNs and RNs) as well as the Mental Health Technicians on the unit worked very well as a team and made the job manageable. Most importantly, every patient had their own unique situation that offered learning experiences.
very rewarding job, fun activities, never a dull moment
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTAugust 24, 2017
This is a great organization to work for, no day is every the same. It's a great environment for people who like to help others, and who like to stay busy.
Shodair
HIM File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTAugust 2, 2017
Nice place to work. CEO is amazing, friendly, efficient, competent, a gentleman and the best thing to happen to Shodair. Good health insurance. Only issue is that there is no room for advancement - growth and change - in some departments. Also, the managerial style is inconsistent and at times none existent.
Pros
Working with the kids
Cons
Inconsistencies with managemant, no room for advancement
posioned atmosphere
Primary Therapist (Former Employee) –  Helena, MT 59601July 19, 2017
Very politically driven environment. Its a place where there is only one way of treating someone and that changes from day to day. You can be overworked and not compensated or appreciated for your work. However, you can be picked apart for things you believe or making simple mistakes.
Bad schedules for full time MHTs, competitive pay
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTJune 20, 2017
13 hour shifts, must work every other weekend both days (for full time).

General negativity about how the place is run between coworkers.

Competitive pay, good benefits.

Clear cut call-off policy. Confusing sick and vacation policy.

Little management involvement after first week, learn from coworkers.

Sometimes easy days sometimes emotionally horrible days.

Little to no advancement opportunity as MHT

Understanding and helpful coworkers.

Free meals on shift.

No breaks for MHTs or nurses

Good benefits if you choose your plans wisely.
Pros
good pay, free food, good benefits, always hiring.
Cons
no breaks, long shifts, on feet all day, negative attitudes.
Managers work with you
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTJune 5, 2017
My manager has worked with my schedule to fit me in as best she can. Plenty of opportunities for full time employment if interested, not much for a fill in like me.

Want to know more about Shodair Children's Hospital?

Ask a question
Wonderful place to work
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTNovember 17, 2016
Shodair is an amazing place to work. It is full of wonderful people that work very well with each other and you become part of a whole new family and each and every person there is not only fun to work with but will support you and have your back every day. The hardest part of the job is having to restrain a patient. The best part of the job is when you finally have and see a major breakthrough in a patients care and watch that patient change so drastically and help that child discover healthy coping skills and safe behaviors in life.
Pros
very rewarding job
Cons
no private lunch breaks your meals are free but you eat and take breaks with the patients
Fun and Challenging
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTSeptember 9, 2016
A typical day at work is spent with the kids. You spend all day with the kids going through their days, and redirecting them as needed. I have learned a lot about the developing mind and children dealing with trauma. My co-workers are awesome, but the hardest part of the job is dealing with the troubled kids all day. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it is so rewarding to be working and changing the lives and having a positive influence on these kids.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
no breaks
Helpful hospital for reinstating children back into realistic life
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTJuly 5, 2016
A good hospital with a genetic laboratory with the life of child before life and after. Work was constant and necessary in the laboratory with counselors, genetic physicians, and work related testing, There are a few problems with some management personnel. The workers work hard to get the work out as fast as possible
fun place to work with great management
Cook1 (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTAugust 16, 2015
A typical day at my job starts out getting to work checking to see if everything is caught up with the day shift for lunch. Usually the morning cook will go on her break when I come in and I will set up for lunch and make sure everything gets out on the trays. Then the kids come in and we start the rest of the lunch. Lunch is over and I begin my prep for dinner which is preparing the meal and desserts and serving them up. After its all over I do my paperwork and clean and stock for the next day and I'm done
Extremely difficult work environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTJuly 29, 2015
Mid level and high level management were extremely difficult to work with and would not listen to the concerns or needs of the staff. There were some staff that I worked with on a day to day basis that helped to make the work environment a little better, but overall the people that Shodair employed were extremely under qualified and incompetent.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
No breaks at all. Never enough staff to have breaks
fast paced never dull
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTJuly 31, 2014
working with young children to help them learn to cope with everyday life.
good work, lousy management and pay. not a magnet hospital.
registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Helena montanaAugust 24, 2012
Acute unit:
Report is limited, helps to have previous knowledge of each patient. Chaotic, tumultuous environment. Nurses leaving shifts in tears.. No retention / longevity incentives. No assistance for relocation. Nurse manager criticizes others, including md. Low salaries.
Learned history of shodair and their theory for treatment.
Pros
free healthy meals and snacks
Cons
young inexperienced nurses, texting at work...really stretches your patience and tolerance
The acute unit is a great place for children to go at first to start receiving the help they need.ng the
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTMarch 22, 2012
Provides direct care to children concerning hygiene, safety, meal supervision, monitor in school, interaction with other children and activities on and off the unit, under the supervision of LPN/RN. Uses patient diagnosis/problems/needs and interdisciplinary team treatment plan to guide care for each child in an individualized manner. Serves as a role model to teach manners, safe ways to express feelings, appropriate behavior and living skills. Helps monitor and maintain a safe milieu and utilizes therapeutic communication skills.
Pros
got a free meal and worked with great kids.
Cons
did not take breaks.
Great job security with a feeling that you're doing good for the community
Helena, MT (Former Employee) –  Mental Health TechnicianNovember 4, 2011
Great job security with a feeling that you're doing good for the community

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shodair Children's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Shodair Children's Hospital Reviews by Location