Shoe Sensation Employee Reviews

False promises and lousy corporate management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesDecember 7, 2018
Managment from shoe sensation only cares about the sales and benefits from that if you have no sales because s ok me one takes your sale they think you are not benefiting the company so they tend to kick you under the bus
Pros
Flex schedule
Cons
Bad management, little to no hours, false promises, only people high ups know gets the promotions.
Not worth it
Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 17, 2018
I worked for this company for 3 yrs as asst manager and store manager. The hours are terrible, the pay is terrible, the environment is terrible and in 3 yrs never got a raise. Not worth any of it. They are more worried about opening new stores than taking care of the ones they have. There is always pressure to SELL SELL SELL. Which is fine but its also important to have realistic goals and make meaningful relationships with the customers. Definitely agree with the soul sucking review. Go elsewhere and apply.
Pros
None worth talking about
High Expections
Customer Service/Back-up Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, TNSeptember 4, 2018
The local store manager showed favoritism toward certain employees and did things to push other less-favored employees to quit. Sales goals were adhered to only for less-favored employees. Pay raises were only given to management employees.
no advancement & low pay
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeAugust 6, 2018
promised advancement opportunities pursued several, was always told later.
salary is very low in comparison to similar positions at other companies.
never have enough payroll hours for pte's so end up working extra hours as store manager on salary.minimum of 46.5-52 required every week
Pros
employee discount
Cons
low pay, low work/family life balance
Expect to do it all on your own
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Petoskey, MIJuly 24, 2018
Started out loving my job. In my area pay rate was higher. They wouldn't give my staff raises. In the end I lost all of my good help and was left alone to find and recruit people, yet had no time to do so. Felt pushed out of the company by my Area Director.
Pros
Discounts, bonuses
Cons
Upper management, pay, to much rating of people kpis
Would not recommend
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ozark, MOJune 28, 2018
Overall a very stressful company full of empty promises. They will promise anything in the world to get you to stay with them and you will never see it. They often lie about what they are able to do salary wise to keep you at the bare minimum to stay. Upper-level management is a joke and no help at all. If you are looking for a place to grow and build a career stay away from Shoe Sensation.
Ok for a student
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sikeston, MOSeptember 17, 2018
No pay raises ever. A good place for someone wanting a few hours a week. Get a pretty good discount on shoes, etc. Easy job but can be very slow pace.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
30 min lunch, not many hours
Worst company I've ever worked for.
Assistant Store Manager/Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bedford, INJuly 16, 2018
No raises. Empty promises, hiring from outside instead of internal advancements, horrible hours especially for management, did I mention they do not give raises??
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
Low reward environment with non-communicative management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  MissouriMarch 18, 2018
I liked the vast majority of my coworkers, but the store managers always seem to have issues. I have worked in more than one store and this seems to be a pervasive problem. The management does not communicate new rules well or train new hires properly. There is also far too much focus on meeting number goals, with almost no incentive for doing so. I would only recommend this job for someone just starting out. It's a good way to meet new people in your coworkers. But do not expect to be able to live off of the salary, unless you are somehow promoted to manager or maybe assistant manager.
Pros
Good Coworkers
Cons
Poor Management, Extremely Low Pay
Hard work , long hours
Area Director (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INOctober 10, 2018
As a manager you are driven to make your goals . You are responsible for hiring and maintaining your store to the corporate expectations. Good bonus , ok benefits
Disappointing
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, INMay 17, 2018
Became an assistant manager and my store manager refused to let corporate believe I deserved to move up any higher or get a raise. As an assistant store manager, $10 and hour is HORRIBLE. There is way too much favoritism and backstabbing in this company. Not worth the 40 hours I spend away from my family.
Has its good moments
Management (Former Employee) –  KentuckyNovember 21, 2017
Be prepared to give up personal life and make the store your life as manager. Will spend a lot of time working alone. It is next to impossible to keep associates with the low pay that is being offered so most of your time will be spent covering shifts for calls offs or those who just no call no show. Even if you leave even on good terms your not welcome back in the store even as a customer. Enjoyed the atmosphere in the store itself with the associates but ensure nothing is said to them you don't want repeated as other stores and management will call to ask questions about you. Loved working with the customers but was unable to do so with all the calls and outside events that had to be planned or attended.
Pros
The Area Director was amazing but overworked so unable to provide support to all the stores.
Cons
Serious delay in problem solving, No raises, More and more responsibilities placed at store level instead of those in the office
sales competition
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Greencastle, INApril 7, 2018
They have lots of contest to earn rewards offer good discount,offer life,401k,health,dental and optical insurance.We strive on excellent customer service.
Pros
Discount
No original team left
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKMay 18, 2018
As Asst. Store manager, I came into the grand opening meaning from the ground up. From the Soft opening to its new sales promotions. I came with a determination to excel in this corporation.

However I will only state facts and not opinions as they are not here to defend their positions. I was to be fully trained in my management role. But was cut short by 2 weeks due to the manager I traveled with had to leave abruptly.

So no former training was given. In essence, I was thrown to the wolves. But I met my daily goals, I over came adversity and ridicule from certain peers. I was the top seller in the store.

So the bottom line from me is this. Don't let any obstacle become an objection to sit and cry about. Use the small setback to take that obstacle and turn it into an opportunity to overcome that which stands in front of you from moving forward. Be open minded to achieving objectively, with perseverance and Integrity.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Inconsistency in management and daily scheduling
Horrible
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cadillac, MIAugust 30, 2018
I used to work there and tried so hard to get that place on the right track. But the manager is horrible to work for cause she is all drama and talk about her personal life all the time. I have family and friends that after I quit would tell me they can see why I quit cause the manager was horrible to them and rude and only cares about smoking. I am very embarrassed to say I worked there. She hires people who only want a paycheck. You would constantly have to go behind them and fix things after them. The manager expects you to do everything yet she can slack in her work. The assistant manager (me)did all of her work. And she took the credit. You got very little hours a week and pay stunk. You would get away with anything. Horrible horrible
Pros
Experience
Cons
The manager, pay, hours very limited
My Shoe Sensation had a hard time keeping a general manager
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yankton, SDSeptember 13, 2018
I would recommend this work environment to anyone, With my experience with management, it wasn’t very good. But overall, it was a fantastic place to work and I will miss it everyday for the rest of my life
Pros
Get to talk to all kinds of people, most of he time you get to work with fun people
Cons
The Shoe Sensation where I’m from has a BAM who hasn’t had a background check, I know she’ll fail it
Life, soul sucking job
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Southern IllinoisJune 10, 2018
I think that says enough. No life, 55-60 hours a week during non holidays, high turn over rate, constant bullying, nagging, micromanaging. IF that's your cup of tea, have at it. I valued my sanity. The only thing I learned was how and why to write employees up for things the did not do or were not appropriate. They wouldnt allow me to get rid of the dead weight and hire people that wanted to work. They wanted me to terminate the 2 that actually did their jobs. I loved my customers and I loved the shoe culture. I valued their time and dedicated myself to them when they were in my store. I miss my job, but not the way it was made to be done. Ethics and integrity should be important. I was not to this company. Oh and the pay looks great on paper, but 34000 a year when you work an average of 55 hours a week and normally 6 days a week on call for the 7th runs you around 12 bucks an hour. NOT WORTH IT.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
read above.
Stressful and Drama filled work environment
Back-up Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hillsdale, MIDecember 7, 2018
Not a nice place to work. After being there for a week or so, you realize you got yourself into a bad situation. They need new management leaders (manager and assistant manager). Very disappointed in the lack of professionalism
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Management, lack of training, pay, hours, drama
Slow paced and not good hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, ARNovember 7, 2018
If sales are low, hours will get cut. Very slow paced environment with a lot of repetition. Decent pay, flexible hours, management cares about your personal life
Pros
discounted shoes
Cons
slow pace
Worst company I ever worked for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Anywhere usaSeptember 15, 2018
This company promised many things but never came thru with them. Corporate never listened to its employees and get their side of the story. Long hours and always wanted you to work more regardless what f your family life.
Pros
Cons
The entire company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shoe Sensation. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight