ShopKo Employee Reviews

Found 1,630 reviews matching the search See all 1,634 reviews
I loved it thier
Apparel Associate (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJanuary 5, 2019
It was a fun place to work at it was very relaxed there most of the people who worked thier were younge mostly still in high school but they were really nice even Black Friday is not that bad thier and you don’t get a lot of rude customers which is a good thing everyone seemed to get alone thier the people who worked at the Payless department of the store most of them were friends with the shopko employees
Pros
Paid lunch brakes if you worked over five hours
Cons
Not having enough time to get returns done
The people are pleasant to work with but the one I work at is shutting down so I can't rate as highly.
Customer Service Specialist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 16, 2019
The pay is a little lower than other jobs in my area, but I have enjoyed my time with Shopko while it has lasted. I probably would not be leaving if it weren't for the fact that they are shutting down the store I work at.

The work isn't difficult and the people are easy to get along with generally.
Pros
Friendly environment, generally helpful management.
Cons
Pay is a little lower than competitors.
The people are great!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJanuary 2, 2019
I loved my fellow employees, I still even chat with them! But the job, honestly, sucked. Great work environment and management. Awesome co-workers. Terrible compensation amongst all positions.
Pros

On the job training, flexible scheduling. Can be a fun work environment. Good for a first-time job. Promotes from within.

Cons

Don't pay enough for the position, no accountability for workers not doing their jobs, favoritism is shown, benefits are horrible, get yelled at and berated in front of customers and co-workers.

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they need to have their basic needs met and offer better benefits. You won't get quality, experienced people for the same pay as inexperienced high school students
Pros
People
Very Stressful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rothschild, WIDecember 10, 2018
Management was poor. The managers did not have the tools to provide people who were injured. I injured my Knee and could not stand for long periods of time, I had a doctors note that said I needed a chair if I worked more than two hours. They gave me a stool that was to short for the registers. I had to stand for most of my shifts, which were four to six hours long. I then got sick with the flu, I had a doctors not saying I was contagious, and could not work for two weeks. The store manager laid me off, saying I was incapable of performing work duties.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Poor management
Not Bad Temporary Work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTDecember 8, 2018
Not a bad place to work until you can get through college. They pay far less than competitors and your success can vary depending on your manager. Some are fair, some are prejudiced. If you choose to work there, don't get involved in the politics within the store, just go to work, do your work & leave. Policies and procedures vary from store to store depending on the manager. Don't expect a lot of time off during the holidays or big sale times, but that's retail anywhere.
Pros
sometimes flexible hours & schedule
Cons
low pay, demanding management
Overworked but Met Some Great People
Designer (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIDecember 7, 2018
There are some really great people at Shopko Corp. I made some lifelong friends. But when they restructured in 2014 it led to a massive increase in workload. They lost a lot of really talented people. I worked long hours and had to meet ridiculous deadlines with little assistance. It was hard to offer new ideas and suggestions because management is very stuck in their ways.
Pros
Nice people, good cafeteria
Cons
Large workload, long hours, resistant to change
The Toxic Shop
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WIDecember 7, 2018
While some of the coworkers and managers at Shopko were really helpful and nice, there were a bevy of others that just did not mesh with the rest of the team. The store manager was one of the people that created a toxic environment. She was bad enough that the other managers were all soured in her presence, and merely speaking with her put them in a bad mood. If you were unfortunate enough to invoke her ire in any way shape or form, she would have a lengthy, seemingly written and rehearsed rant for you to listen to.
Pros
Team mate Discount, Usually relaxed team members
Cons
Poor Management
Good temp job for extra cash during seasonal time.
Apparel Associate (Current Employee) –  Wenatchee, WA 98801December 22, 2018
A new hire would be lucky to get one day of on the job training from another employee. There really isn't any OTJ. Never enough employees to get apparel side recovered (cleaned up) unless top management is in bound, then it's a scramble.
Pros
Company discount.
Cons
Too few employees on the floor for the area covered, No OTJ, breaks are very short. Physical store has seen better days, not in line for upgrading.
Great Co-Workers, Solid Management
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 18, 2018
Shopko's treated me fairly my whole time there. They got me the training I needed and once I was up to speed let me just do my job, which I appreciate. They've got services around to help you if you're in a bad spot in life, and the pay's good. The benefits really impressed me. If you're single, their matching is really generous.
Pros
You get free lunch if no one has an accident.
Cons
People keep tripping and having accidents.
Worse company to work for
Loss Prevention Leader Shopko Store #098 (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 10, 2018
Loss Prevention Leader

one of the worse companies I ever worked for. management treats teammates poor lee and asks them to perform more tasks then can be completed on limited staffing and over working them. Very unhappy with the store manager in handling the day to day operations and the treatment of teammates asking most of them to do more to cover the short staffing of the store.
Hated it
Seasonal freight crew (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTNovember 29, 2018
Worst job I have ever had. The managers were unrealistic in their expectations. The managers were found to be committing retail theft and other crimes as well, so obviously the background checks or screening process failed them. I refuse to even shop there anymore due to just how bad my experience was I don't want to be reminded of it. The whole company is going down, just don't expect much when you work for them.
Floors Person (Current Employee) –  Calumet, MIDecember 16, 2018
A typical day at work is great
I have learned a lot of wonderful and useful things, I can bring into the real world.
Management is awesome. They're always respectful and understandable.
Workplace culture is amazing.
The hardest part of the job is trying to please as many customers as you can.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to show what you can do and people accept it.
Pros
Employee discount
Not a Great Place to Work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kimberly, WINovember 3, 2018
Very fast paced environment. Almost always understaffed. Cashiers are very overworked and stressed, and are almost always asked to stay longer than scheduled. Breaks are never on time. Holidays aren’t fun to work. Customers here are the RUDEST people you will ever meet. Not a very clean store. I don’t recommend working here at all.
Pros
Managers were amazing, coworkers were very nice, always got off what you needed to get off
Cons
Fast paced, low hourly pay, inconsistent scheduling and breaks
Prefer to hire outside instead of promote from within
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington Montana Wyoming Idaho Utah ColoradoDecember 16, 2018
The district I work in has high turnover for management. The company appears to prefer hiring from outside instead of promoting from within. Currently there is little support from our current district manager. DM visits are irregular and there is a serious lack of constructive follow-up. This company is more concerned with answering internet surveys instead of helping their employees grow. There is also a problem with cutting payroll but not adjusting workload expectations to match, especially leading up to holidays.

There is great support from fellow managers within the company. Seasoned managers are very willing to help new managers succeed.
Pros
Collborative leadership between stores
Cons
Lack of support from distric management and higher
Slow paced and low pay
Apparel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  River Falls, WINovember 2, 2018
Wasn't paid very well and the work can be very brain numbing especially since I worked in a store that didn't get much traiifc. Folding clothes all day as slow as possible because if I did it all too fast, I'd have nothing to do. Only had two cashiers at the front and one or two apparel team members on the floor. Management was nice and understanding but the hours I was scheduled every week was inconsistent.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low pay
Once great company struggling to keep up
Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, NEDecember 14, 2018
I worked for the company in high school and stayed on when I became a pharmacist. As the world became more competitive, Shopko struggled to keep up. They are not a bad company to work for, but it used to be much better. Much of the corporate management for pharmacy has changed multiple times in the last few years.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
turn over of corporate managers
Terrible management
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WINovember 21, 2018
I worked in the pharmacy for over a year. Pay was horrible and not worth the stress of the job. The manager treated staff poorly and would belittle them right in front of customers and would not cooperate with scheduling. Definitely not a place I would recommend. The only positive was creating friendships with my coworkers.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Low Pay, High stress, Horrible Management
Poor Management, over worked, not properly trained, was forced to do new job requirements without training
Retail worker (Former Employee) –  Marinette, WIOctober 30, 2018
They would place me from working at night to working the next morning, lied to employees about pay raises, poor management, not trained for long, most of other coworkers were mean to other employees as well as customers, other co workers did not want to help other coworkers, favoritism was big here, etc.
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
everything else
It was a fun place to work
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIDecember 20, 2018
The company used to be a great place to work until it was bought out, made public, back to private then a holding company. No longer a community based company. They don't seem to care about those of us doing the work on the day to day basis, the ones providing their paychecks. My immediate manager is a great person to work for but is held back by corporate rules.
Customer satisfaction prioritized.
Shopko Eyecare Center (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, NEDecember 26, 2018
Shopko was a good employer with a culture that prioritized customer satisfaction. The hardest part of my job was doing insurance claims.
Most enjoyable part was dispensing glasses and contacts.
Pros
We took care of customers needs. Glasses made over to satisfy patient if they disliked frames.
Cons
Emphasis on high end frames and pushing extras.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ShopKo. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at ShopKo.

Powered by Comparably