ShopKo Employee Reviews

Review
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Rice Lake, WIMarch 21, 2018
Same review as the other pharmacy or any other job, it was very overwhelming and the manager was very scary. He would slam the phone and swear under his breath.
Employees were great.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ballard, UTMarch 19, 2018
A typical day is i clock in and go to the manager and see what they need me to do and i do it like i watch the front, stock shelves, pull tags, clean the bathrooms, take out all of the trash, sweep and mop the store, and clean the registers. I learned how to stock shelves, match the number on the item with the number on the shelve, use a box compacter, and unload freight. The boss and the managers were very kind and they did their job very well and when they told me what i had to do i did it with hast. their was no drama and it was an easy and great work experience. The hardest part of the job was having to watch the front, stock the shelves, clean the bathrooms and take out the trash at the same time. The most enjoyable part was being able to go on a 30 min lunch break and a smoke break every 2 hours.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Being over whelmed by the tasks set for me
Stressful and unrewarding
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Orofino, IDMarch 16, 2018
Very high stress due to being understaffed and trying to work as a full crew. Not paid equal to my co-workers. I liked working with public but was treated poorly by coworkers, who disrespected each other behind their backs.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
backstabbing, low pay
Stressful place to work
Recieving Associate (Former Employee) –  Grafton, NDMarch 16, 2018
An average day at Shopko checking in freight controlling freight flow checking in packages from venders and postal services control prices and control out of date freight
Pros
Lots of breaks
Cons
Poor training
Price Accuracy Teammate (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTMarch 13, 2018
I enjoy working for Shopko and feel that they truly care about their employees. They have always worked well with my schedule and listened to my concerns.
Pros
Discounts, flexible schedule.
Cons
Low pay
Loved my job
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington KansasMarch 13, 2018
i recommend working for Shopko. My management was great and i always had hours to work. i only left due to college and relocating. I never had to worry about needing a day off, they were very flexible and very understanding.
Pros
Breaks, flexible, great work environment
Cons
minimum wage
Semi productive
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, WYMarch 12, 2018
Was a decent job for someone who needed work and pay was decent only real issue I ever had was one of my managers other than that everything was good.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short lunch
Hardworking and fun workplace
CSS (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 12, 2018
At time it may get busy while others it is slow either way there is always something to do. The co-workers help you through things you have not done before
Company is a failing big box store
Loss Prevention Leader (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 12, 2018
They have cut the giving of raises for all hourly employees for the last 2 years. There is no longer a company match contribution to the companies 401K. Insurance costs are high, over $1200 per month for family heath insurance coverage. Wages are not competitive at all for Sales associates. $9.00 in the Madison, WI market. Not a company I would recommend for any long term career.
Pros
Fairly flexible schedule except during the holidays
Cons
High Insurance Costs, Low Wages
Fun coworkers, poor business practices
Freight Supervisor (Current Employee) –  oregonMarch 11, 2018
Shopko has been in business for 56 years however they sure haven't figured out how to run the company yet. They are wasteful and when you try to give them ideas on how to cut back on waste they tell you that it would cost too much in labor to save money.
The managers don't communicate with the teams until they are telling them when they are doing something wrong. Proper training is a thing of the past. The blame game gets played a lot.
Pros
Great benefits, good people, comfortable pay.
Cons
Untrained workers, they don't drug test so the employee pool is a ring toss.

Want to know more about ShopKo?

Ask a question
It's been a long time
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMarch 11, 2018
Ignore this review, I worked there for 4 months over ten years ago. I am certain that many things have changed but from what i can remember it wasn't a bad place to work
Shopko was a hastle
Cashier (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WI 54115March 11, 2018
My time working there was very stressfull as a lot of the things were out of date. the break room was bad. a lot of the stuff i did not understand. I would not recommend working there
Pros
if you have worked retai you know its all the same
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  sidney mtMarch 10, 2018
shopko is like every other retailer it has good and bad stores as a company i enjoyed working for them they were big enough to grow with but not to big as to get lost in the crowed
Started out as a great place to work
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  VariousMarch 9, 2018
I did learn a lot working for the company, had many great experiences and met a lot of great people. But the overall environment has degraded quickly in the past year or two. I would highly recommend working for the Shopko of 3-4 years ago. I would no longer recommend it to anyone to work here.
review
receiving(truck- unloader /GM floor (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 7, 2018
Not a bad job, but I don't get enough hours. The people are nice and I do like working there. I just need to make more money since I will be graduating from high school and will be available for fulltime hours all summer and hours while going to college
bad work place
STOCKER / CASH REGISTER / UNLOADER (Former Employee) –  Rothschild, WIMarch 7, 2018
don't work at shopko unless you want to get yelled at every day and takes 5 months to train treat you like a piece of trash hardly give you any days off that you request.
Fast Paced and Fun Crew
Shopko Storage Team Member (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68138March 5, 2018
Got along with most everyone and it was a fun job, management and supervisor were a bit lackluster but not terrible. The job itself I really enjoyed if you like operating forklifts and whatnot and doing pretty physical work
Pros
Fun job and people
Cons
Some overtime, supervisor wasn't the friendliest
Good place to start.
Loss Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIMarch 4, 2018
Shopko is a good place to start. The atmosphere is good and the staff and managers are nice. The pay is low and the training you are offered is not much.
Promotion possibilities are not real good but relocation opportunity is. The atmosphere is much easier going.
Pros
Nice atmosphere.
Cons
Low pay and low promotion chances.
May not be company wide issue
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIMarch 2, 2018
Overall, this job wasn't the best experience in the workforce. The pay was low even though they were desperate for workers and there wasn't much proper training on the floor. Not sure if this was a single location issue or company-wide.
Pros
scheduled breaks
Cons
low pay
some good and bad
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Union Gap, WAMarch 2, 2018
working here as been fun at time. management some are good and some are bad. making a big deal out of getting credit cards after the holidays is a pain, you will be lucky to get 14 hours in a week, and no matter how hard you work if your not sucking up to GM you will not be promoted even if you know how to do the job.
Pros
other cashires
Cons
manament

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ShopKo. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3

2.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight