Shoppers Drug Mart

Shoppers Drug Mart insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Great as s student job, all depends on the manager you get

At first I enjoyed my part time there very much, good team and colleagues, good benefits (gratis) and store discount but low pay, but slowly it drained the energy out of me as my manager asked me to come in a lot on my days off regardless of my studies and work/life balance (finishing at midnight and asking me to come in the morning, changing my schedule) I was promised a raise after 3 month probation but to my surprise it was cents more, same after a year. It was a lot of trouble asking for any type of vacation and manager was bitter and mad at me for months for 2 weeks off to see my family in another country.Otherwise I did learn a lot on the job, inventory, organizing displays according to store policies, training new cosmeticians, managing responsibilities (cash, cleaning, products stocking and facing, etc)

Pros

gratis products, brand trainings also give free products, depending on work colleagues fun environment

Cons

poor managment, low salary

Good team

Fast-paced environment, Good team committed to quality patient care. Have 30 minutes paid break. Colleagues are supportive and it takes extended time to study Health watch drug plan

Pros

full time and maximum hours

Fun, diverse workplace, low wages

Nothing is perfect, but overall I feel management does their best to ensure schedules are balanced and everyone gets what they need, they are pretty flexible. It’s a fun and diverse work environment, and in the Boutique you get a small commission of your sales, which is helpful. However, pay is still very low for the performance they are expecting. They’ve asked me to take on additional projects and only a year later I’m realizing I deserve to be paid more than my co-workers who do not take on extra projects…I’m just disappointed this is not a standard thing. More responsibility (and quality work, at that), performing at a higher level = higher wage? To give you an idea, I’m coming with 7 years of solid industry experience (including 2 years of relative schooling) and they’re keeping me on the lowest end of the pay scale. They keep introducing more tasks, new systems and more things to take up our time. I am not afraid of hard work, but at this point I’m overwhelmed and under-appreciated.Also, they work some of their part-timers like full-timers consistently, (I am one of them, in 5 days/week, 8hr shift, I need the money so i don’t refuse) without giving you full-time benefits. Not sure how this all translates for others in other stores and departments but there’s my review.

Pros

Fun environment, 30% discount, flexible, diverse, opportunity for growth

Cons

Low wages & high expectations, late nights, open on holidays, full-time/part-time lines are blurry

enjoyed working at shoppers, both locations had understanding bosses

Shoppers drug mart was a nice store to work for. It was one of my first jobs and I felt like they were a family. I worked at 2 locations & I think it’s good for teenagers - adults .

Pros

Good people, shedule 4-6 weeks shown in advance.

Managerial Drama and Control

I learn nothing unless it benefits management for me to learn something new the day is always the same filled with allot of drama. Ever since loblaws has taken over the company that was great to work for has gone down hill with no return.

Pros

Its a job to help people thats all.

Cons

Managerial drama cannot excell and grow.

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Good start

Good and reputable co. to work at to gain experience of the tough fast-paced working environment; but still, the payment is way underrated. They need to work on their employees retention to keep and save their training investment time

Pros

30% employees discount and company profile

Cons

under-payment vs the effort

Excellent workplace!

I had an amazing experience working here. Management was great, they were great with time off. For part time I was paid very nice! (in cosmetics) I also got commission which was awesome! The only reason I left was because our store wasn’t very busy in cosmetics and I was looking for something more fast paced.

Pros

Good pay, staff get rewarded well.

You are at the Mercy of your Associate Owner

I am a soon to be former store manager. Your experience can go one of two ways with this company as a store manager and it is 100% dependent on your Associate Owner. Mine micromanaged every single thing I did, reversed decisions, would force me to come in when it was unnecessary.You are paid salary for 40 hours a week but good luck working less than 65 and not having snarky comments made. Store Managers are expected to work as merchandisers, receivers and cashiers.You will work against a strict labour budget. Do not exceed the SPLH or they will plot to fire you. (Ive seen this happen to other store managers). 2022 is looking to be a very lean year. Less labour hours = you doing more work. Remember you are paid for 40 hours a week, so they do not care if you work 80.

Pros

Yearly bonus can be lucrative if your store is profitable.

Cons

Extremely long hours. In the winter you are coming to work in the dark and going home in the dark

Head Office Made our job confusing and worthless

Head office gave us jobs to do and then would come in and change everything making our hours of work absolutely pointless. If they didn't think something looked good then they shouldn't have asked us to do it that way in the first place.

Pros

Great Team

Cons

Head Office Micro Managed

Discount good management sucked

Management treated you terribly. Didn’t work with my schedule at all, and they try to trap you there forever. Also seemed impossible to get any form of a raise.

Pros

Nice discount

Cons

Short hours, never worked with my schedule

Flexible position but also stagnant

It's a mostly flexible work environment and especially great if you're a student trying to work. They did cut hours however and lacked a level of communication with their employees when it came to something important that needed to be addressed. Not every Shoppers location is like that though. Overall it's a fairly neutral environment to work in.

Great Owner

We are lucky and have a wonderful owner who treats us like human beings not just numbers. She has lots of events for staff and is fun to work for. She also pays better and gives better discounts than anywhere else in town.

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere

Cons

None that I can think of

Very Little respect to store teams from district managers and VP’s of operations

Every problem head office creates gets downloaded to the store. Store technology is a complete nightmare and the corporate IT department is way behind the times (probably under funded). The job can be great at the store level depending on the associate owner and the store teams can feel like family. Unfortunately the terrible corporate culture makes everyone in the store miserable. This is a company that only cares about profit for their shareholders over everything else. They are followers when it comes to caring about mental health and well being. They lack the integrity to actually act on good words.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Long hours, No respect from upper management for front line workers

Unprofessional Work Setting and Employment

Not sure if this is the same for every pharmacy at Shoppers but from what ive seen it appears to be the same problem everywhere since i worked in multiple locations. During my employment at Shoppers Pharmacy management was terrible. The head pharmacist stop speaking to me and reduced booked shifts when i corrected them on improper techniques and protocols. There was a lot of favouritism displayed in the workplace. People who were there longer made the newer people do the work they didnt want to do (i.e. service customers, call customers on their medication etc.), just tedious work they did not want to be bothered with. While other employees did not have to do that. Management again was an issue since they did not address this problem and made me feel that i am the problem to this company. Overall i wouldnt work in this field due to the lack of respect for each other and very poor management.

Pros

employees that werent in the pharmacy section

Enjoyed it

Being a merchandiser was a simple but respectable job, I also had the opportunity to help build a new store,I stocked the shelves of the store with all new inventory and it was an enjoyable experience

Productive workplace but tiring and physically draining

Coworkers are very friendly, the environment feels like a family. Training is alright, some of it is figuring it out on your own but managers are usually willing to help you. Breaks are good too! However, the tasks they may get you to do can be repetitive and a bit mind-numbing and can be tough on your body if you are lifting a lot.

Pros

30% discount

Cons

physically demanding

A Good Place to Start

Shoppers Drug Mart is a well run company which can offer opportunities for advancement within the workplace. I was able to learn how the Point of Sale system worked and the overall functioning of the store. Shelf stocking, facing, putting up sale tags, and working on cash were the main duties I had in my role. Overall, I enjoyed being employed by them and was treated kindly by my employer and coworkers.

Pros

discount

Understaffed, underpaid, unappreciated

Out of all retails jobs I've had, (4) working at shoppers was the worst experience.2 stars is actually being generous. Poorly organized/ managed company. My morale is completely gone after only a month working here and I've lasted years in other retail jobs, save your time and effort.

Pros

30 % discount, a few nice coworkers

Cons

Low pay, mean customers and coworkers, understaffed, overworked, expected to heavily multitask and stock even as a cashier on days with loads of customers.

It was. An amazing and a productive place to work in..

It was good..i learned alot new things..its good for a beginner .. it was a good experience got to be a little productive learnt and did thingd on my own..i had a good team to support me..

Good place to work if you aren't focused on forming bonds.

The hours are flexible but the workers did not care to form any sort of relationship or sense of companionship.

Too much workload and not enough personnel

It’s a good company to learn new stuff, but there is always shortage of staff. Too much work with not enough pay; always adding more work but not adding staff to help with the extra work. My boss was excellent, but I heard some other store owners are not as supportive.

Pros

Good learning opportunity

Cons

Under budget for staffing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shoppers Drug Mart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.5K
1.7K
1.1K

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
3.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight