Shred-It Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
it's a job...not a long term solution
Document/Media Security Technician (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAAugust 15, 2018
poor organization....mismanaged...incompetent management..too much aggravation to perform your job,,,and very low pay...good group of guys to work with...the crew looks out for each other
Pros
great benefits
Cons
low paying...poor managers..no advancement...
Stress about your job
Route Specialist (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 14, 2018
When Stericycle bought out Shred-it the company as a whole went down hill. There is something to say about a company that receives a multi-million dollar tax break and then tells the rest of the company that they still need to cut 5 to 10 percent to stay afloat including lay offs and necessary spending. All the while they continue to spend millions of dollars buying out other shred companies to expand their reach. Understandably this is what a company would like to do but at what cost? To stretch an already thin line? So no i can not give a recommendation to work for shred-it you will be looking for another job within a year and not of your choice.
Overall
ShredEX, Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  SCAugust 11, 2018
Company was a great place to work. Management is very, very poor though. HR was virtually no help in resolution. At the end of the day it is about what you can tolerate.
great place to work...
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 10, 2018
its good job if you want to start a career in driving truck, management are awesome if you don't have attitude and you're are looking for 4 day work day this is your job, unfortunate corp cut overtime
Pros
great culture, great management, free pizza they appreciate your hard work
Cons
they have some bad apples
Fun workplace environment, great people
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 6, 2018
Shred-it was a fun, down to earth place to work. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the environment I worked in. We knew how to accomplish our tasks and have fun doing it too.
Not worth the time and energy -- enough said
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2018
Said it all the subject line, but it is going to make me use 150 characters... get out while you still have a soul. They have no clue how to run a business.
Pros
Cons
Plenty
Started out as a great place to work.
Sales Representative/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 10, 2018
Started out a great place to work until the corporate office bought out the franchise owner and everything changed. Went from making really good money into average money within a few months of the switch.
Pros
People
Cons
Pay
This company is horribly managed
Route Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  New Berlin, WIJune 28, 2018
A typical day at Shred-It involves being given almost no information on the requirements of a customer's needs and being expected to go service 20-25 such customers. Managerial support is almost non-existent, and when management does directly interact with you it is done in an accusatory, sarcastic and unprofessional manner. The work is OK but the management is toxic. If you can handle being the only person in the chain that is expected to make zero mistakes but is given no information and your feedback is ignored, then this is the job for you.
Not what it use to be
Route Service Driver (Current Employee) –  Saint Rose, LAJune 21, 2018
The new shred it is trash it’s good for a beginner wit no kids the pay is awful they wanna work u like u making top dollars the management sucks but it depends on who team u on some management show favoritism they change rules like they change they drawls they not consistent i can go on and on but ima stop here
Pros
U off on weekends
Cons
u bust ur tail and purge money is not worh getting for dem u only get 5% of wat the purge sell for
Lack of management skills, Lack of acknowledging hard work, Extreme workload on one person, horrible new routing system
CDL Driver/CSR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85017June 13, 2018
Shred-It was once an enjoyable work environment with great management and ability to make changes to your route to better your workload and save the company time and money. Once Shred-It was sold to Stericycle of course change came about. A lot of Shred-Its upper management were laid off. I cant say one good thing about the new changes. Their new routing system is horrible and makes no sense.
Pros
4 tens
Bad Management
Shredding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOMay 29, 2018
Was told i could shift my schedule to compensate for a baby sitter. Was cut loose for it later when new management showed up. Co-Workers will look for opportunities to throw you under the bus.
bigger is not always better
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJMay 3, 2018
Shred-It is now a division of Stericycle, and it is a relatively small part of the overall corporate income stream. So now shredding services are viewed as add-ons or giveaways when sales is pursuing the much more lucrative medical waste business. Stericycle continues to aggressively pursue acquisitions large and small, but this is reflected now in the sudden reluctance to invest in replacing worn-out equipment inherited from the acquisitions. There is also a lot of evidence of "management by spreadsheet"; we had been one of the best-performing branches in Shred-It and Cintas before that, but now we are being told by Continuous Improvement managers from other locations how to shave seconds here and pennies there, all while our worn-out equipment is still falling apart. Plus, in a difficult labor market, there's no effort to improve the pay scale for drivers, and in shows in our climbing attrition rate.
Benefits are attractive, but administration of benefits is now largely on-line and much more difficult to navigate than before. Local people who can discuss benefits knowledgeably are much harder to come by now.
Pros
Local and regional management very competent and fortunately still in charge at the Trenton branch
Cons
management by spreadsheet from corporate office, constant pressure on everyone to "make the numbers", quick to expect all tasks to be done on line but slow to invest in the infrastructure
Very Stressful
Accounts Receivable/ Billing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLApril 25, 2018
The company is not concerned with its employees, they are about making money. The management team is very rude and don't take the time to get to know who works for them.
Shred-It Changes
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 16, 2018
Shred-It was a wonderful company to work for. I have been there for almost 6 years. We went through and acquisition and bought by Stericycle and now it is very different. I am seeking another position because I do not like the direction of the company. I have been with Stericycle for 1 1/2 years and the operational side of the business is really bad and not recovering. Pay structure has also gone down and team moral is down.
Long days, hard work, garnished pay occasionally
CSR Driver (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJApril 9, 2018
6am start till ????? 4 day work weeks 10+ hours a day. On-site confidential shredding. 20+ stops a day. Fun co-workers, terrible management. Not sure how it is now but it must be better.
Was once a great job, now it’s being run into the ground
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 2, 2018
Before merging witth Stericycle, Shred it was a great company to work for. Now it’s being run into the grown by incompetent management who know nothing about the operation.
Pros
Plenary of hours and work, overtime
Cons
Understaffed, underpaid, terrible management
Very poor working environment.
CSR, LEAD CSR and SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMarch 20, 2018
Shred-it was a great company to work for five years ago. After the company buy-out by Stericycle. Stericycle brought in management that had no idea about the shredding industry. They brought managers from the Stericyle side of the company to do the shredding operations. And that was the beginning of the end for employees with tenure from the Shred-it side of the Company. Because at that point those new managers had to rid the company of any employee that was going to make them look like they didn't know there job. With all that has been said here about Shred-it. This does not apply for all locations. But from talking to other ex-employees that I have meet over my years while working at Shred-it, the same issues are happening throughout the company.
Cons
Poor Leadership.
Always on the go
Security Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 5, 2018
A person tagged in and went inside clocked in and looked at the route on personal computer. Asked the boss any questions. Did calisthenics. Went to the correct truck to drive. fill out an MVR and took off to the first stop. Whenever a chance take a lunch and call the supervisor whats going on, or where on the route the person is. when done call in to see if anybody needs help. If not go the shop, drop the contents of the truck, and clean it. Upload the machine, tell the boss if any issues. put up the tools clock out and go home.
Pros
Kept the driver bussy, time flies.
Cons
Some routes if not known can have lots of issues.
competitive
Texas Area Manager (Former Employee) –  West, TXMarch 4, 2018
the atmosphere was team oriented and focused on driving and pushing each other to be better. The industry is competitive but Shred-it has the best service.
Horrible place
Shredding Specialist (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMarch 3, 2018
The manager of the place said he wanted a friendly family type of work place so I was friendly and nice than they didn’t want me to interact with the other worker. Than a new supervisor came who had noooooo idea how to run the place and yelled at us if he got in trouble for his own wrong choices. Than my coworker who was a friend started to be the supervisors lapdog and went against me saying I wasn’t pulling my own weight. When I was the one dumping bins and getting the door for the customers and losing the truck while he just sat on a forklift.
The safety guy took shortcuts. Place full of dust and the masks for the dust sucked. Inhaled so much dust.
Than one day before work slipped on ice at work and bosses didn’t care, they made me wait 2 hours for the clinic to open instead of letting me go to the hospital right away. Doctor said not to use both hands at work for the time being, the next day my coworker made me use the lift when u need 2 hands to operate it. Than on Friday I got sick and was out for the majority of the next week and than on the Friday coworker gave m the cold shoulder and supervisor asked if I was ok but with a mean attitude and threatened to write me up saying I was late 12 times punching in when truckers punch in late and nothing happens. Than that day we all had a meeting and him and coworker disrespecting me badly, that day I decided that’s my last day and never came back.
Best choice is NOT to work there. Especially new berlin
Pros
Sometimes you get nice customers
Cons
Dumb managers, lost supervisors, horrible safety boss, brown nosing coworkers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shred-It. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight