Shriners Hospitals for Children Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Interesting Place to Work
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 12, 2018
Shriners was a great place to work. It was an interesting place to work. You learn a lot about burns and treatments. It is a very small hospital which allows them toe work
Shriners Hospitals for Children — Honolulu provides the highest quality care for orthopaedic and neuromusculoskeletal disorders and conditions.
RN Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 12, 2018
Staff members are committed to improving the lives of children in Hawaii and the Pacific region, and are specialized in bone, joint, muscle and sports injuries.

The hospital is a state-of-the-art facility that provides Hawaii’s children with the best orthopaedic care, neurodevelopmental care, fracture clinic, surgery, physical therapy, occupational therapy, radiology, orthotics and prosthetics workshop and other ancillary services. The hospital is colorful, kid-friendly and designed to place patients and families at ease with the aloha spirit.

Daily I am responsible for providing assessments, planning, interventions and follow-up for patients and family members. I proactively address potential or actual clinical and/or psychosocial needs identified through screening to ensure level of care and health status transitions are safe, seamless, and coordinated. I collaborate with a multidisciplinary team in regards to discharge planning prior to patient’s arrival and throughout entire hospitalization. I advocated for patients and families to ensure their needs and desires are addressed in a timely matter.

I enjoy working with patients and families of different backgrounds and cultures and I am rewarded when I see my patients overcome the physical challenges they had when they came to our hospital.

The hardest part of my job is meeting the needs of my patients when there was a financial barrier. I am always grateful when I was able to help my patient overcome these barriers.
Friendly Place to Work
Administration (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJuly 4, 2018
The mission of the organization is strong. Work has redeeming value. Staff is friendly and committed and many have worked there for many years. Supporting patients and families is awesome!
Just Happy to work at Shriners
Engineering Supervisor, Licensed Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90020June 30, 2018
Healthy & Friendly working environment. Employee benefits are desirable. A workplace that provide opportunity for employee to grow personally and professionally. Management & Staff are just significantly courteous and conduct themselves professionally in every way. I was just very happy working with Shriners Hospital for Children for all those years.
Good mission
Health Information Management Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 20, 2018
Everything that people do is all for the children. While the pay is lower than other comparable hospitals in the area, the environment and the hospitals mission makes it all worth it.
I love working there the and and families
Cook (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 8, 2018
I love working with the kids and there families the public I cook really good I'm a people person I work very hard a team player and I love what I do
Pros
When the guest come back to see mw
Cons
When we are slow
A great learning experience, but poorly managed
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 6, 2018
Shriners has given me the chance to learn very specialized and interesting surgical procedures. The satisfaction of seeing kids with disabilities have their lives improved is invaluable. The inconsistent schedule resulting in a loss of hours one week, followed by overtime the next week gets frustrating. Couple that with an inconsistent and inexperienced manager who questions the staff as to why they’re getting overtime without bothering to look at the schedule, and staff satisfaction plummets. Having a new and inexperienced manager try to micromanage a highly experienced staff has resulted in watching highly valued team members leave.
Pros
Learning highly specialized procedures and working with grateful patients
Cons
Inconsistent schedule, poor management, lack of advancement opportunities, and sub par pay
Love the Children!
NA (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 31, 2018
Shriner's was a great place to work initially. With any job there are issues with upper leadership and management but the children, overall, make everything worth it.
great place
Children's Unit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 27, 2018
I was doing community service at this location. It was a great experience being side by side with doctors helping out. Although it was long ago, it was great.
Excellence Place to work
Orthopedic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 27, 2018
The ability to learn muscular skeletal disorder is great. Great staff and management. The people who work here really care about the health of their patients.
A very specialized career
RN II (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXMay 20, 2018
A very dedicated team to provide specialized treatments for burns, microtia, hemangiomas, port wine stains, Steven Johnson Syndrome. Down fall is management...not consistent and too many departments for a single manager to manage.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Necessary to evacuate with patients at the hospital at any time.
HEALTH INFORMATION CLERK (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 17, 2018
Handling all incoming calls into Medical Records as well as rerouting calls to the correct department. Helping walk-in patients with the authorization process.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Amazing place to work giving children from all over the world a chance to live and thrive. Miracles occur there and I am proud to have been a part of
Inpatient Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 17, 2018
3 12 hour day shift - mon-tues-wed
Learned a multitude of skills needed to care for critical children - burns and trauma. Management varied as in many places - some supportive some not as much. The culture, if I am understanding correctly, was a bit "clicky" and was difficult to fit in at times. However the OR staff where we spent a lot of time and the Pedi ICU had great mentors and you were expected to work independently on the unit or assist in the OR. Other times in the outpatient clinic. The hardest part of the job was loosing a child and responsibility close to the level of a fellow with minimal orientation. Most enjoyable was watching kids who never thought they would walk again run by your desk to give you a hug and say thanks and goodbye before leaving to board a plane back to the Dominican, Ukraine, Africa and so on. It made me very happy. And I loved watching the new technologies.
This hospital gave me the skills I unfortunately needed the day of the Boston Marathon Bombing. It was a 3 days straight of working in complete chaos but the docs just kept reminding me if you can do this on kids, you can on adults. They need a "Jill" taking care of them because of your compassion
Pros
Independence; autonomy
Cons
no breaks and minimal time for the drs to answer questions
Shriner's is a specialist hospital.
HEALTH INFORMATION CLERK (Current Employee) –  2425 Stockton BlvdMay 12, 2018
Being the receptionist is a very busy job, heavy phones, helping with all walk ins as well as printing notes remotely for authorizations.Close cases and transfer patient to other locations with in the Shrine System. I work closely with doctors, case managers and other staff. I enjoy the contact with patient's and family, love helping all.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
No advancement
love this place
CMA (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 11, 2018
One of my favorite organizations to work for. The experience was amazing. They treat their staff and their patients as if they are the most important piece to who they are and what they do
Pros
all good
Cons
all good
Great place but...
Nope (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 7, 2018
Been told place will change to clinic/same day surgery so... the job security is not what it was.

Love what they have done for so many kids and hope it continues for the next 100 years.
Loving Devine
H.I.M Clerk/Patient Registration (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 30, 2018
Great hospital for disable children. Great Surgeon's and physical therapy team. Headquarters is the worst of all. Everything hours through them. Not always great.
Fun workplace, learned a lot
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 29, 2018
It was an enjoyable environment where I learned a lot and grew. It was just a normal lab setting that requires it's full time members to work during the day and sometimes over hours. However, that comes with the research lifestyle. But, it was a great one.
Specialized and Caring Organization
Director, Health Information Mgmt & Rev Cycle (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 25, 2018
Working for Shriners, although a short period of time, was an interesting experience as we worked with an external consulting firm to employ Revenue Cycle/Health Information Management/Utilization Review/Quality Improvement operations. Working solely on endowment funds, offering specialized care to children around the world, became a challenge without accepting patient insurance. To that end, Shriner's made a decision to accept health care insurance and started to deploy the appropriate operations and systems to do so. This position was exciting and challenging in that it was a total change to all back office operations. It was interesting to learn of Shriner's Operations up to this point in time. The management was interesting as all hospitals were run by members of the Shriner's Organization as well as a team of healthcare administrators. This was also the point in time when Electronic Health Records were beginning to be mandated by government through incentives and meaningful use of those records was needing to be proven. Participation in various committees was an excellent learning experience and being able to leverage prior experience into their operations was quite helpful.
Pros
Caring Organization, Travel to Various Hospital Sites, Quality Care, Excellent Managers and Staff
Cons
Alot of Change Having to Happen Quickly & Acclimating Longer Term Staff to Changes
Day or night shift
PRN-Status (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 24, 2018
2- 4 patients total patient care from bathing to feeding and wound/pin care, charting and medication passing and then you would report off to next shift