Shutterstock Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
I would not recommend this company
Solutions Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 7, 2018
After relocation to Montreal, my team was laid-off leaving me and another individual to transfer to this new office as remote workers. Upper-management did little to help, mentor, organize or lead much of anything. Employee satisfaction is extremely low there and my team of 5 was laid off 2 months in. After that, my new team (in Montreal) was about 6 of us - after a couple months it was down to about 2 with a third coming on from internal. I would simply not recommend this company. It was a disorganized nightmare. The only saving grace was my original director Adam. He is an amazing individual and I hate to see him putting up with this company.
Pros
Free food, good salary nice offices
Cons
Just about everything else
Good Perks
Footage Reviewer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2018
One of the draws to Shutterstock was the great work perks. Located in the Empire State Building, breakfast and lunch is free to employees every day. The used to offer Massage Fridays and Summer Fridays, where employees could leave after a six hour work day. Unfortunately those perks were taken away, but the breakfast and lunch perk still exist. They also have two game rooms on campus, as well as a yoga studio where they have Peleton bikes.

The management is flexible with what hours you work and working around doctors appointments, etc.
Great workplace going through a tough time
Strategic Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
For the past two and a half years Shutterstock has been a really great place to work. Unfortunately, there has been a recent re-organization that has not gone well and had made life very difficult for enterprise sales reps.
Transitioning
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2018
This company was once a tight knit team focused on one goal - making the platform the best it can be for its customers and contributors.

The company is now public. It's lost its vision and has its eyes on too many goals (and not enough resources to do it). This has caused an office full of people running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

I hope they get back to what they once were. It's a tough challenge. Hopefully they can create a good culture again and keep good employees and management to drive the company forward.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
stressful, competitive, back talking / toxic environment
Sales Solution Manager
Sales Solution Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2018
My review starts with the interview. I was told one thing during the interview only to find that my job would be completely different. Basically I was responsible for upselling pre-existing customers who had previously purchased the wrong product from Shutterstock. It was a classic "bait and switch" situation.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
there is no growth opportunity
Good Benefits but Poorly Managed
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
Overall working for Shutterstock in the 3 years I was there was pleasant. The benefits are nice perks but the management is close minded and no room for growth. Many managers are given their jobs without training and that sets the team up for failure. A lot of secret conversations and not a lot of transparency. Quick turnover and not a great overall office moral.
Pros
Free Lunches and fitness classes as well as healthcare
Cons
Poor management and no transparency
Decent Place to Work
Collections Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
Good work environment and great location that is easy to get to no matter where you live. They have great, healthy snacks and drinks all day including breakfast and lunch catered.

Modern work space.
Pros
Free lunch and snacks
So much promise with so little result
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2018
Shutterstock is basically a company designed to funnel money to about 12 people. The bottom levels are nice enough. Ping Pong tables and paid lunches to make people feel welcome, but yearly layoffs, poor pay, and no real communication between branches make this a lumbering beast of a company that is only secure due to lack of real competition. Half of any given shift is spent fixing problems that started in another department, and there is a continual change of rulesets meant to keep people from looking too deeply at what's actually going on.

If Shutterstock shrunk their manager pool, and worked on internal communication, there would be promise here. Until that time, it's a wonderfully disguised pool of toxicity.
Pros
Free lunches, Nice Workspace
Cons
No Job Security. Treats interns/temps/contractors like lesser people. Too many chefs in the kitchen.
Overall Good Company with Growing Pains
Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2017
It's a good company with good people, it can just be difficult in tech with companies that need to scale, adapt and change so often and so quickly. But overall would recommend.
Challenging Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2017
The focus and gameplan constantly changes. Constant turnover of C-level, Marketing, and recently, other departments. No clear career path. Bully mentality and lack of transparency.
Pros
free lunch, snacks, standing desks
Cons
low morale, bully-style management
Great company, friendly and professional staff!
Freelance Photo Editor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 22, 2017
Shutterstock launched in 2003 and has grown steadily since then, bolstered by the explosion of web publishing. Shutterstock's content team will do direct outreach to the site's top videographers, photographers, and illustrators to help fill specific content needs. For the most part, though, Shutterstock contributors figure out for themselves what subscribers are looking for.
Horrible pay
Freelance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2017
Hiring managers made it seem like it was possible to earn a living wage being paid per image, but sometimes images were so time-consuming that you were actually losing money to the company.
Interesting growing company when I joined
Global Payroll Manager, Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2017
I really enjoyed my first 1 1/2 here. The company had gone public shortly before I was hired. So it was very much like a start up. There was a lot to learn and much process improvement needed.

Management was a big issue. At least 3 changes in the entire C suite in 4 years. This as anyone know causes constant quick unorganized change. Mistakes, a lot of off boarding.

I walked away with much knowledge and there were good people. Many who are gone today.
Good people
Sales Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2017
Your co-workers will be focused on the task at hand and do what it takes to get the job done. The office perks are great and the company is growing fast. It's a big company with a start up feel.
Horribly Underpaid.
Stock Photographer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 21, 2017
You spend hours preparing your photos.

Then when they are accepted, they are sold for like $5 to $10 per photo.

Worst part is your take for each photo is between 25 cents to $1.88.
Pros
Cons
You work hard for very little money. Not even minimum wage.
n/a
employee (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 11, 2017
this company has great benefits and perks. when it comes to work life balance there is very little as the workload and pressure is very high. way to much upper level turnover.
Great Place To Work
Remote Image Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Work from homeFebruary 27, 2017
Great place to work, flexible, management helpful when needed and available on Slack. Love being able to make my own schedule. Have enjoyed working there at and hope to continue enjoying it.
Remote Image Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Work from homeFebruary 8, 2017
Able to make my own hours and work from the comfort of my own home. It's a great job. It's convenient, the people I report to are very helpful and full of knowledge. I always have assistance when needed.
Weird culture, some shady practices
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 13, 2016
Working in customer service is very tough, productivity targets are unreasonably high, systems and/or the website seem to always break down or have bugs, there is a shady subscription auto-renewal practice in place and more than 50% of all customer contact is asking for refunds and complaining about this practice, which management expects you to defend.
Kind of a stuffy, arrogant culture, people mostly keep their noses down in their laptops and don't communicate much with others.
I learned that there are definitely better places to work.
Pros
Free lunch and snacks, game room, nice location
Cons
Health benefits, tough job, low pay, shady practices, weird company culture
Hard work in a fun workplace
Management (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2015
Leadership uneven. Feedback not always well taken even when obviously needed. Management and operations not expanding and functioning at the level needed for such rapid growth. On the plus side good perks and benefits. Opportunities to cross over to other teams and really learn how each team functions.