Shutterstock

Shutterstock Employee Reviews

United States53 reviews
I enjoyed my time greatly working with shutterstock from a remote position. The management set clear guidelines on procedure and kept tabs on us regularly to monitor our performance and answer any questions. The job was contract work, so chances for advancement from my own position seemed limited, and while the hours were flexible (as you made your own schedule), there were moments where I was sat at the computer for long hours at a time. This, however, was entirely up to me. I would recommend working for this company.
Having spent time at Shutterstock- disorganized chaos is what comes to mind. In over a year of being there I saw huge staff cuts, many management changes and this is before Corona. Once the virus hit huge staff cuts all groups were decimated and there is no leadership on product or business. Good people discouraged and cut while politicians remain, and play the blame game. It’s sad as it could be a leader but it falls short because of a finance team that works against sales teams and very shady income reporting practices.
Pros
Free lunch and great office space
Cons
Management, leadership, products undercut each other, no mangement
I worked at Shutterstock as a temp, which means management does everything possible to make sure you remember every second that you are merely a necessary evil and not a full human being. Employee morale and churn wasn’t much better, though. Almost nobody was happy. I’ve worked as a temp before and was never treated like this. It is beyond comprehension why this was considered good strategy.
Pros
It was a job. It didn’t take as much of my time as some jobs
Cons
Everything else. Though benefits for employees seemed decent.
Frequent management turnover; with each iteration of management turnover comes a new set of marching orders, sometime diametrically opposed. Some projects completely revised and/or scrapped. This in itself is not unusual in a corporate environment, but the frequency here was exceptional.
This job allows for complete autonomy in a remote setting which is the only reason I started working here. I enjoy working here and will continue working here.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
A highly unethical, mid-managed corporate nightmare. Leadership is incompetent and disrespectful to employees. Compensation is constantly changing, as are job responsibilities. Ultimately there is ZERO job stability at Shutterstock and I’d recommend you stay far away.
Shutterstock is one of the most challenging places to work. The average tenure is 14 months. If that doesn't tell you enough about the culture and work environment, I don't know what will. Super poor management and direction, but the company is full of great people that care and work hard.
I was hired by Shutterstock as a temporary employee on the Quick Service Team (I think it was called), responding to customer questions and concerns. I was pleasantly surprised by how awesome the office is, how much I was motivated to do my best in the position, and how much I actually enjoyed it. The training lasted a week or so, and it was very well-done and set us up for success. Everyone I worked with was great. The office vibe seemed laid-back, everyone was very upbeat and friendly, yet a lot got done very efficiently every day. It was a very positive experience. When I had to leave the area for personal reasons, they let me continue to work for them remotely. At the end of the job assignment, they offered me a full time position. I declined for personal/unrelated reasons, but I kind of regret it!
A great job for people looking for part time freelance work. Flexible and works with your schedules. Great to chose what does and doesn't work best for you to make money and showcase your skills.
If you get good enough with the review process, you can make between $20-$30 an hour. Management is very chill. Overall a great transitional job, or one you can use to supplement your income.
Pros
Work at home, flexibility
Cons
No advancement, rather repetitive
The management is chaos. There is absolutely no transparency about what is long-term plan. Promotion is impossible. Politics issue between different teams. The turnover is very high. Better off elsewhere.
Shutterstock could have been a great internet and photography company, but they've really lost their way over the years. The workplace culture is toxic and growing increasingly more negative. There are too many managers making conflicting decisions, leaving their employees confused and without direction. I've never seen any of my co-workers promoted, and instead have seen countless inexperienced managers come and go through the company. There are also regular lay-offs, leaving people feeling extremely on edge and fearful for their futures. All of the perks about company culture I was pitched during the interview process were nowhere to be found upon arrival.
I made my own hours and created my own schedule. Work came and went via contributors - sometimes had to adjust schedule. Work was at home, via computer, via web chat and webinars.
Pros
own hours, worked from home
Cons
couldn't make enough money
I had a blast with this Company.
My role as a Sales Support Administrator was straight forward.

Salesforce was my best friend. Many internal systems and programs to learn on a daily basis. Rewarding.

Team and Manager were very professional and kind people.

I learned so much, constantly. Not every team is a dream team though. I was fortunate.

The Company is now going through changes and an internal re-organization which means it can be a good time to jump in and do a good job in working with them.

Good benefits and free lunch.
Pros
Free lunch, gym on site, Happy hours and other perks
Cons
Salary can be increased for sales support
While I was there, the company was changing from a start-up mentality offering all the perks and flexibility to a rigid corporate environment. There was ample training provided, however, opportunities for growth were limited.
Pros
free lunches/snacks, great office
Cons
poor management
After a phone, and in-person interview, I was offered a freelance position with the company. All I needed to do was sign a contract. The contract never arrived & after two emails they stopped responding entirely.
Im shutterstock contributor and very happy to be free in my creativity. Im make my plan to travel different location around the world. Decision making all by myself.
If ytou are young and have a lot of free time, this is a great place to work. If you have a family and have things going on outside of work, it can be a bit difficult.
They never tell you at the interview you have to work over time everyday. If you want to overwork and underappreciated, this is the place for you. You will find out in no time that you will be working with managers with no talent, incompetent, irresponsible, no direction, unqualified, only care about themselves and upper management kind of people. They expect you to follow their unrealistic goals and deadlines (there was no proper training either since managers don't know anything), if something goes wrong it's all subordinates' faults never managers'. Expect to have weekly meetings if you don't follow what the managers' tell you to do, they will start documenting everything you say, do, write and report them to HR to build case against you. I started sending out resumes since day ONE ! And I should have left early, I regret it the most. I sleep so well at night now that I am no longer part of this organization and not seeing those untalented, needy group of people.

I do not recommend this place to anyone even if you were my enemy from the past.
Pros
free lunch, good benefit package
Cons
very very high turnover rate, people don't know what they are doing
The company has changed tremendously for the worse since I first started in 2014. The culture is no longer there and the company is a shell of itself. There is no clear vision.
Toxic culture, tone deaf management, incompetent CEO. Everything is done to satisfy short term goals so everything that needs to be done to ensure long term survival is ignored. The CEO acts like a boy king prioritizing on a whim. The turnover is so high that learning someone's name is useless. Promotions are based on who you are friends with.
Pros
free stuff that every other tech company offers
Cons
everything
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shutterstock. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5
2.7
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Shutterstock.