SIERRA CLUB Employee Reviews

Great time off/work-life balance.
Digital Advertising and Media Planning Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 22, 2018
Great team. Great intentions overall, and has excellent union, and pretty solid benefits. But, old organization needs to update a lot of internal processes and strategy. Needs to diversify. Needs to pay workers more
Challenging political environment
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCNovember 16, 2018
A great STATE program of the Sierra Club. Through a very challenging political climate the Sierra Club North Carolina was successful in changing key legislation.
Pros
Active and engaged staff and members
Cons
hard-ball politics in North Carolina
Field Research Volunteer - Not Employed
Field Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 4, 2018
I worked with Sierra Club on an endangered species project where we trapped, examined, and vaccinated wild animals. It was great experience and I truly felt like I was making a difference.
Fun place
satellite lead (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 21, 2018
Overall this company is a place i would let my younger friends know about and i would hope that they would be as happy as i was.. Due to school i had to leave this job but if i was able to just volunteer I would
Pros
You will make money
Cons
You have to walk outside
Most enjoyable part of the job
Climate Action Campaign Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 11, 2018
Getting to work with great people who truly want to make the world a better place. Management and other interns were genuine and well-educated in sustainability.
Cons
unpaid internship
Fun worplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAMay 25, 2018
This was a fun place to work because it was fun to talk to people and help sell things to people. The reason why I worked as a volunteer at the Sierra Club was because I was working with a family friend of mine.
Wonderful Organization
Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI 53703April 17, 2018
The Sierra Club stands for wonderful things and has so many volunteer and internship opportunities. Everybody is extremely welcoming and your role on various volunteer committees are tailored to your personal interests.
Work that matters.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN 55406April 16, 2018
There is always something to do, a goal to work toward. Work culture is caring and inviting. The work that you do matters and makes a difference but you have to give it your all.
Highly professional, passionate about issues and serving public
Volunteer Receptionist/Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 29, 2018
I enjoy working with a team of very professional and friendly people who are passionate about their work and serving their communities in the interest of environmental protection, enjoyment and safety.
Lovely place to work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDMarch 18, 2018
The people their are so inviting and warm very friendly, they taught me how to do phone banking and data entry. Small office but very well organized. Sad that i had to leave so soon.
Pros
amazing people working towards a good cause
Good for entry level
Advancement Assistant (Temp Job) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2018
I think the work environment is friendly and good place to get some experience. There are highly experienced professionals in different skills. It was good even though the position was less that my experience and skills.
Pros
It was good work envirnment
Cons
No complains but the position was entry level
laid back work place
Fellowship (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 1, 2018
You typically work one on one with a manager or potentially with a community group. Task are mostly based around fundraising and community events/promotion.
Very educational
Intern (Former Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 28, 2017
I worked as an intern with a very specific assignment. I performed research and comparative analysis on various topics. I found the research and the analysis to be very educational.
It is what you make it.
Community Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 27, 2017
As a POC working in one of the largest non-profit organization it can be challenging but is also very awarding and filled with opportunities. Can be very autonomous at times.
Pros
Manage your own time, Autonomy, Healthcare
Cons
Requires a lot of time, odd hours
Good Times with Great People!!!
General Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2017
The Sierra Club is a wonderful place to work where everyone has the common goal to do what is best for the environment. I've learned time management and how to prioritize projects that were assigned to me. Management was a bit rocky as we were both new to our jobs and roles. The workplace culture was is very inviting and accepting as they are trying to progress in becoming more equitable. The best thing at my job is that we have a great work-life balance. One thing I can say that can be difficult is that the workload is very heavy for just one person. My opinion is that this is a two person job because managing the facilities aspect and also completing projects and admin work can become very stressful and frustrating.
Pros
free lunch during meetings
Cons
high demand
very strange place to work at, culture is plain weird
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  OregonSeptember 7, 2017
Not the best job I have ever had. Leadeship leaves much to be desired. Training is okay at best. Well meaning individuals. A lot of work but not challenging. A monkey could do it.
Pros
good people
Cons
management is disorganized
Doing great work
Communications Chair (Current Employee) –  Southeastern, PAAugust 11, 2017
Sierra Club is doing great work in the community by educating the public about the dangers of climate change in particular and environmental degradation in general.
save the planet
REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 1, 2017
Plenty of opportunities to work hard and feel rewarded for that work. Not much help from supervisors for some aspects of the job. Plenty of support from the public. Can be a problem on the resume as scientific or engineering firms don't want to hire advocates...
Pros
great personal reward
Cons
no job security can also mean low pay
Sierra Club
Field Organizer (Former Employee) –  IndianaJune 27, 2017
Sierra Club is not a place you want to work. Their management does not know what they are doing. Sad that a historic group like this fails to see leadership skills in qualified, experienced candidates and looks for young and inexperienced.
Fun informative and fits anyones schedule
Stream Monitor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 14, 2017
Great club that teaches its members how to properly determine the quality of local waterways.

As Civilian Scientists you will report your findings directly to Upper management and to the OEPA

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SIERRA CLUB. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss