Sierra Nevada Corporation

Sierra Nevada Corporation Employee Reviews

Sierra Nevada Corporation insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Great, smart company with an exciting portfolio of projects

Featured review

Sierra Nevada Corporation selected this as a representative review
SNC is a great company to work for either starting out in your career or later on in life. There is a great mix of new professionals and very well-established professionals. Definitely some of the smartest minds are working at this company and you become smarter because of it. The benefits are unreal, especially the 401k match. I really enjoyed the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job was always wanting to deliver great solution to get projects renewed, which can be stressful. I left the company because my family moved across the country, but I am still in close contact with many of my old coworkers who have been there a long time!

Pros

Always learning something new, amazing benefits, like the people I work with, Room to grow and lead

Cons

Overhead/corporate sometimes gets in the way

Engaging work and mostly positive environment

It may be a little face paced on an average day but resources are available to ensure an efficient and safe work environment. My peers and immediate supervisors are a close organization and all parties have each others best interest in mind. Hard work is rewarded and the benefit package is amazing.Some corporate leadership lacks initiative to protect contracts or employees. Field managers are tasked with more of a workload in business areas which detracts from small unit efficiency.

Pros

401k match, rewarding pay, advancement opportunities

Cons

Remote management team is out of touch and rely too much on middle management in business areas.

Great supportive management

Difficult to retain new generation of workers due to the culture of the company. Hard part of the job are strict deadlines from customers, so hours can be crazy, but compensation is nice enough to balance it out.

Lots to do

Very busy. A lot of work to be done. They are not getting the team ready for success. It would be better if they invested back into the hangars and people more.

Everyone works hard, but not always smart

Great benefits (401k, health & dental insurance, education and training support); Government contracts so plenty of work. There seems to be a revolving door with people coming and going with Tesla and Panasonic. Less commute and better benefits with SNC.

Pros

Benefits, stability, training and growth options

Cons

Working hard but not always smart

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Running in all directions with no clear plan

SNC prides itself on being change agile, but much of the change feels unplanned. We are constantly implementing new applications and processes, but the planning for these changes usually leaves out key stakeholders. Those stakeholders are told that something is going to happen on a certain date and are left to figure out how to make it happen by that date, whether it is possible or not.People are promoted based on personality and whether they have relationships with high up leaders. The people who do most of the work aren't valued as highly as those who don't do much.

Pros

Good retirement benefits if you can stick it out for five years to get vested, free snacks in the offices

Cons

Poor planning, capricious management

I'm sure your experience varies based on your branch/team, but I've enjoyed mine - MST

I can't speak to the overall corporate culture because I'm sure what matters is who is in your branch/team. I am in MST. I enjoy everyone I work with and find it to be a fun place to work given the people on my team. Pay is decent, often less than industry average, but everyone working there knows that, many of whom have come from other companies that pay more purely because they like the culture and values of SNC, which really says something. 401K match is the highest I've ever heard of.The best thing about SNC is the ability to flex hours. How much, depends on your manager of course-- but for the most part, people are able to work generally flexible hours as long as they are available during "core" hours and reach their 80 hrs a pay period-- for example, working more on Monday and leaving early on Friday, or working extra hours before PTO to reduce PTO time taken, allowing you to save it. That has been one of my favorite parts of working here.Full week of Christmas off in addition to PTO, but have off for less federal holidays than other companies.Cons would be that I found it hard to get promoted as quick as I had wished. Another one is that they don't hire many techs, or good ones at that, so engineers end up doing much of the tech (building) work (could also be viewed as a Pro of course, sometimes it's nice to take a break to get hands-on).

Pros

flexible hours, flexible PTO, great 401k match, fun environment

Cons

salary less than industry average, promotion process can be long/challenging, engineers do tech work

So busy about thinking about the future, thoughts are never given to the present.

If you want to work for a company that is so busy at looking to the future and never realizing what is happening in the present, than this place is for you. Reactive is 90% of your time while proactive takes a back sat to 10% of your time, which is driven primarily from the top.

Pros

It was a job.

Cons

Job is your life.

Productive, fun place to work

Fast paced, productive place to work with great people. Great place to learn and progress in aviation. You will be encouraged to grow as a mechanic and they will give you the opportunity to attend great aviation related training.

Pros

Excellent matching 401K, great colleagues, room for advancement, opportunity for training

Excellent, if you enjoy the Aerospace Industry

Work life balance is about as good as it gets with 9/80 schedule (at least on dreamchaser). I personally find the aerospace industry tedious at times.

Pros

9/80, benefits, learning opportunities

Lots of work with the illusion of a work-life balance.

At the beginning it seemed like a straight forward place to work with direct goals and lots of work travel (which is something I enjoy). But after a while, it became more apparent that the management skills from your direct manager all the way up seemed to just be excited about the "next new thing" and less about making a reliable product. With this: many engineers are over tasked, over worked, and undervalued. Teamwork between engineers can sometimes be stressed to ridiculous levels. Overall I would recommend either working short-term (1 year max) or avoiding employment unless you enjoy a more work than life balance.

Pros

Flexible Workday, Progressive Workstyle

Cons

Micro-management, Constantly Changing Goalposts

If you like boot camp, you'll love this place.

All the employees where I worked were ex-military and most were in the military together. The management style was comperable to that of hot headed drill sargents that loved to show their authority through degradation, constant harrasment, disrespect and intimidation. I've worked for over 30 years in manufacturing production and inventory control at some of the best companies in Silicon Valley, but I have never worked for a company that treated their employees as terrible as this place. When I was hired there was no employee orientation or planned training. I had about 16hrs of total training. Basically, I was set up to fail.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

poor management

Environment very negative and no communication

Not much appreciation shown or even acknowledged when something is done right or had a successful outcome. Focus is always on the things that were done wrong or not correctly. They will continue to bring up the negative things time and time again to remind you. Lack of communication between management and employees. Owners are not approachable and employees are told not to talk to them. Turnover at the Corporate Office is high (avg. tenure only 2 yrs.). Stay away from HR.....the worst leader runs it; fake. Don't trust that it is an open door. Lots of lay-offs due to sudden shift in business direction. Not a stable company. I am sorry I wasted my time at this company. I made a horrible choice in leaving my old job.

Pros

Parking

Cons

Negative environment; lack of appreciation

Good place- some growing pains

Good place- some growing pains. I feel they are trying to incorporate too many big changes in the middle of a huge initial Dream Chaser build. But overall good place.

Pros

Compensation, cool work

Cons

upper management not in touch a bit

Good ol boys

Unless your part of the good ol boys club or friends with someone high up in management there is no respect and no room for advancement. Treats anyone not in the good ol boys club with lack of respect.

High Turnover with poor leadership

All of the standard things (pay and benefits) are fine. Everything else depends on what department you work in. Stay away from Corporate and Human Resources!

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Free Snacks

Cons

Poor management, no growth opportunities

Great culture and they honestly care about their employees as actual people. They are flexible, caring, and it feels very much like a family. There are great opportunities for bonuses and promotion.

Pros

great benefits, flexibility, and culture

Cons

missing maternity/paternity leave benefits

Excellent culture with exciting challenges to work on

Overall a great company to work for. The Dreamchaser program has a great office culture and lots of interesting work to go around for everyone. The only cons are the typical growing pains and teething problems that come from a company ramping up for a project of this size for the first time. Sometimes the work-life balance can suffer due to tight schedules and not enough resources.

Pros

Good management, great office culture, great benefits, interesting challenges bringing a spaceship to life

Cons

Schedules can be un-realistic and work-life balance can suffer, standard growing pains of a company ramping up for a large project like Dream Chaser

Not worth the time, drama, or years that will be taken off your life working in the psychological experiment known as SNC

A typical day at work starts between 0630 and 0700 for the most overworked of employees and around 0730 for those that are only moderately overworked. You'll spend hours digging out of the dump load of work thrown at you by rude customers that management allows to grossly overstep boundaries and verbally/emotionally abuse employees. Time will be wasted speaking to upper management that off-handedly provides disingenuous offers of assistance despite being overwhelmingly under qualified to provide any level of productivity or assistance but rather "earned" their positions by ensuring that they are bros and buds with more senior management or having directly come over from supporting customer military units/contractors (looking at you IAS directors!). You'll get to spend time trying to convince your team and direct reports that everything is not alright while silently weeping on the inside from your dying soul. The lack of actual direction provided by senior management nearly ensures a culture of turnover so ensure there is enough time in your day to also do the work of two to three other employees that were never replaced because "the turnover churn here is totally normal". If you're a female or a minority, have fun maxing out at mid-level management. Despite being wholly more qualified than male counterparts, only one of you will ever be promoted to ensure that it looks like the company is diverse. The second most enjoyable part of this job is the camaraderie formed with the other beatdown souls that you form an everlasting bond with. The most enjoyable aspect of this job was -

Pros

Decent benefits that can be mostly matched elsewhere, this isn't a good enough pro to outweigh the cons

Cons

The toll on your blood pressure, under qualified and hurdle managers, disrespectful and abusive customers

Overall a good experience

Management is incompetent or non-existent. Unless you are a good old boy you will get worked to death. Good opportunity to learn and make money but I have a feeling management will füçk me over at any time.

Pros

Pay, 401k

Cons

Enjoyable workplace with leadership who listens

SNC is a great company to work for. The leadership team is eager for your feedback and tries to implement new ideas. Coworkers hang out with each other and there is a lot of camaraderie. My only complaint is that its hard to move up if you don’t have a degree and they pay increases are minimal.

Pros

Free lunches throughout the year. Fun atmosphere. Free snacks, coffee and fruit. Great benefits and 401k.

Cons

Hard to get promoted. Working area is small and can be noisy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sierra Nevada Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight